Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Well Nintendo clearly isn't interested in making Metroid games anymore so I say let this guy be derivative as he wants.

Copyright law doesn't work that way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think Nintendo's copyright honour is particularly relevant one way or the other, but the game's design being 'literally Super Metroid ... with ghosts!' is pretty weak and a shameful thing for a self-respecting designer to be asking money for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't think Nintendo's copyright honour is particularly relevant one way or the other, but the game's design being 'literally Super Metroid ... with ghosts!' is pretty weak and a shameful thing for a self-respecting designer to be asking money for.

I suppose that's why the prototype name for the game,"Spooker Metroid," didn't work.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/954587867/men-vs-cosplay-2014-gaming-calendar-project

You know, maybe I'm just not hip enough, but I never understood the hardcore cosplay community. That's probably just me though. Now who still buys calenders that, one, likes cosplay enough, and two, isn't an old lady.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

the Gaffe posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/954587867/men-vs-cosplay-2014-gaming-calendar-project

You know, maybe I'm just not hip enough, but I never understood the hardcore cosplay community. That's probably just me though. Now who still buys calenders that, one, likes cosplay enough, and two, isn't an old lady.

I don't know. A few of them aren't great, but I had to double check to see if Solid Snake there was real or not. Goddamn.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Given the changes in art, copyright doesn't apply, either, and you can't copyright gameplay ideas.

If looking very similar and sharing themes and mechanics was a copyright issues, Battlefield and Call of Duty would have some serious poo poo to work out.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Good thing he isn't stepping on Nintendo's copyright then.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like video games aren't incredibly derivative of each other, and it's not the first time someone has made an homage to a classic game either.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

the Gaffe posted:

Here's what I don't get: If you're attractive enough that you could pass for normal, why on God's green Earth would you willingly expose yourself to the cosplay community. Or even geekdom in general. If I wasn't legally barred from leaving this basement and I looked like them, I'd wear suits to bed and walk around cities shouting into my phone while holding too-expensive coffee.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Here's what I don't get: If you're attractive enough that you could pass for normal, why on God's green Earth would you willingly expose yourself to the cosplay community. Or even geekdom in general. If I wasn't legally barred from leaving this basement and I looked like them, I'd wear suits to bed and walk around cities shouting into my phone while holding too-expensive coffee.

People have different interests, news at eleven.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Because even attractive people can like a thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Economy Clown Car posted:

Because even attractive people can like a thing.

Hell Vin Diesel famously plays/played D&D and he doesn't need to pretend to be anybody but Vin Diesel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Hell Vin Diesel famously plays/played D&D and he doesn't need to pretend to be anybody but Vin Diesel.

He also got the entire cast of the F&F movies into it to the point where with F&F6 he and Justin Lin apparently talked about it in D&D terms when it came to the mythology aspects of the movie.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I hope this is a joke: We want ten grand to hold your toilet paper.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jesus christ that thing is loving huge.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Guys, you don't need to show us every single lovely prototype you've made of your product. The plastic ones will do.

I'm surprised they didn't include a picture of themselves looking thoughtful with the caption "imaginary prototype".

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Take all my money right now!!

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

My aunt had one of those things 15 years ago, it was shaped like a victorian lady with a huge dress which the tp hid under. Do people not have under sink cabinets in their bathrooms to keep an extra roll or two in?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Because nothing could turn your bathroom from "rear end" to "class" quite like hiding a roll of toilet paper (and maybe some Maxi pads) in a GIANT FUCKOFF FAKE DIAMOND THAT IS OBVIOUSLY MADE OF OPAQUE PLASTIC AND LOOKS BIG ENOUGH TO POKE YOU IN THE BACK EVERY TIME YOU TAKE A SHITAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I can't quite wrap my head around how ill-conceived that whole project is. It's quite possibly the chintziest thing I've seen in recent memory.

The plastic gemstones that 11 year-old girls stick on their cellphones exude more luxury than this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fralbjabar posted:

My aunt had one of those things 15 years ago, it was shaped like a victorian lady with a huge dress which the tp hid under. Do people not have under sink cabinets in their bathrooms to keep an extra roll or two in?

I live in an apartment and don't have that, but we just keep the loving package in between the toilet and the wall. Everyone shits, and there's already a roll of toilet paper hanging right by the toilet. Why would you possibly care about anyone seeing a couple more extra rolls unless they're somehow in the way?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

TheJoker138 posted:

I live in an apartment and don't have that, but we just keep the loving package in between the toilet and the wall. Everyone shits, and there's already a roll of toilet paper hanging right by the toilet. Why would you possibly care about anyone seeing a couple more extra rolls unless they're somehow in the way?

I buy toilet paper at costco, I have to keep that giant brick of paper in the closet.

The closet is right next to the bathroom. Welp.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Y'all don't have these in the US?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

neongrey posted:

I buy toilet paper at costco, I have to keep that giant brick of paper in the closet.

The closet is right next to the bathroom. Welp.

I get it from Sam's, and it comes in a giant thing too, but within that there are individual packs of 4 or 6. Does Costco not do that? I keep the rest of the brick in cabinet in the kitchen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Where praytell do you hail where this magical technology exists?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

No, here in the wastelands of the United States of America, we have not invented a loving dowel. It's number three on the list right after affordable healthcare and accessible education, though.

Unfortunately we can only grasp a single roll with our paws, and when it is spent we must wipe vigorously with our crooked hands until we succumb to whims of our fever-borne demons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Personally I just put them on MY GUNS

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Personally I just put them on MY GUNS

Not white toilet paper, I hope. I'm told that isn't safe.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
It gets worse when you realise the final model's supposed to be purple, and one of the rewards is an invitation to the "release party".

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Better to be the big fish of a little pond than just another fish in the sea? That and apart from the Warhammer guy I think those people get paid to go to events

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Better to be the big fish of a little pond than just another fish in the sea? That and apart from the Warhammer guy I think those people get paid to go to events

Only the professional amazing cosplayers get paid to go. Others buy tickets and attend

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I got a good laugh when I logged into Kickstarter this morning. The local section had a new Kickstarter listed from an old boss! Ever wanted to play an MMORPG/RTS? Now's your chance! Running at an amazing 10 fps!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1832060149/realms-of-creation?ref=home_location

Whoa, $50,000! That's enough to hire a fresh-out-of-college software developer for the better part of an entire year! Assuming he's willing to work from home and provides his own development machine. And, uh, the servers for the game.

Wait, hang on...

Stretch Goals posted:

$60,000 - We can pay more to our employees so we can work full force on the game instead of working full time at a job and then working on the game on the side for free. If everyone works on the game full force we can have it out to the public in half the time plus we want to have more items out for the public in both stores.

For $50,000, everyone has to work for free on their own time. On an MMORPG. But for $60,000, everyone can work full-time on the game! In a comment, he mentions at least four employees. Assuming two years of development, that means everyone's bringing home a fat $1,000/year salary.

No matter how you do the math, just the very idea that $10,000 would let a studio chop a year or two off their MMO RPG RTS MMORPG MMORTS MMORTSRPG's development time is so far removed from reality I can't even conceive of the combination of misapprehensions you'd need about software development to make that claim.

Even the updates are magical:

New Graphics posted:

Looked at the graphics we are using and they look great

New Content posted:

We are wanting to inform all the backers and gamers that we just posted new content on our Kickstarter page. So please read it and give us comments or messages about it. We want you guys to tell us what you guys want to see get added to our concept or what you guys like about our new updates.

You guys. :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh god. This is like that Lore Kickstarter except without the mentally handicapped person.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Realms of Creation posted:

“This game is the start of a revolution. Why play multiple games to be different characters when all the characters are in one game that is in complete 3D.”

“Have you ever wanted to be able to play a game everywhere you go? This game will be coming out on Facebook, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PC, Mac, Linux, and all App Stores. All of these systems will transfer all information.”

:suspense: They've done it. They've finally perfected the I've-Played-A-Lot-Of-WoW-You-Know-What-Would-Make-It-Better-Pitchbot 9000.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh god. This is like that Lore Kickstarter except without the mentally handicapped person.

Without the diagnosis, maybe.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
edit : wow this really was the wrong thread

LastCaress has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Aug 8, 2013

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Xelkelvos posted:

Does someone have a summary of what happened with Lore (the "lore" of it if you will)? I came in too late and all I ever see if the picture of the screaming druid beast

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Does someone have a summary of what happened with Lore (the "lore" of it if you will)? I came in too late and all I ever see if the picture of the screaming druid beast

The screaming druid beast is based off of a pic a Goon did making fun of one of the concept art pieces.

Well here's the short version of it:
Guy makes a Kickstarter touting a new game he wants to make with nothing more than a few pieces of poorly done art and a bunch of half-baked ideas with the goal of $1 million. It goes largely unnoticed and unfunded for obvious reasons.

He makes a second Kickstarter at $100 thousand as the goal (I may have gotten the two goals switched around, but it's not a big deal). This time he comes in with more assets and things to show off. Many of the assets he used were either from other people or based on tutorial objects from the program he was using. At this point, SA took a notice of him and immediately pounced. The creator showed a gross lack of grammatical ability even though he's a Native English Speaker making the description of his project and many of his comments hard to decipher. Along with that, the creator was planning on using the money he raised to build the game from the ground up and he had pretty much no idea as to how a game is actually made and how much work is actually needed.

I don't believe the mental retardation thing was actually revealed until after the Kickstarter ended (or ever confirmed), though someone did find his Facebook.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't believe the mental retardation thing was actually revealed until after the Kickstarter ended (or ever confirmed), though someone did find his Facebook.

Naw, he mentioned in the Lore comments that he'd been a top level student before he got an acquired brain injury. The comment section on the KS page had thousands of comments and he replied to a bunch of them. He even changed a few elements of the pitch in response and created an in-game character called Hate Troll Tim in response to a goon's repeated comments. An admin then changed that goon's SA username changed to HATE TROLL TIM. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Aug 8, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

An admin then changed that goon's SA username changed to HATE TROLL TIM. :v:

I had always wondered what happened to HATE TROLL TIM; apparently he's been permabanned for some SA-Mart shenanigans. :smith:

Fake edit for content: It's impossible to understate the degree to which the Realms of Creation kickstarter sounds like a guy typing stream-of-consciousness about his dumbass game ideas.

quote:

There are mysteries that are out there in the world.

You can learn through trial and error. Learn how to make things that do not exist in the world currently.

If you are first to learn this you get to name it and control it, but be careful your ideas can be stolen by hired thieves and spies. So hire guards or maybe even a thief or spy of your own to protect your secrets.

I did not edit that, or cherrypick statements. Those 3 sentences follow each other in exactly that order.

quote:

If you start owning more farms in other cities you can make a title for yourself like if you own a farm in every city an emperor has then you will grow your name to become an estate farmer. For a crop farmer you will start with the ideal concept of one plant and it’s up to you learn how to plant other crops and once you do that you can teach it to your NPC advisers. Once you learn different concepts you can start messing with their genetics of the plants through trial and error to create a new secret item that will be a plant blueprint that we added to the game.

Tell me that isn't just a guy spewing features as he goes. You'd think after 15 loving years he would have a cohesive vision of the game, but I guess that's hard when the design document consists entirely of the sentence "It's Everquest, but you can do, like, just loving everything in it you guys".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DStecks posted:

I had always wondered what happened to HATE TROLL TIM; apparently he's been permabanned for some SA-Mart shenanigans. :smith:

Yup. I think his original username was Timb.