Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Zereth posted:

actually it looks like you're switching from one bow being active to the other repeatedly. The "Wrath" video doesn't have any arrows equipped.

You don't need any ammo equipped, the button swaps the active ammo slot regardless of what is in the slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Forgive me for being stupid, but what exactly does the bow-swapping thing do? I'm not too keen on Dark Souls, though now I might pick it up and give it a go.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Forgive me for being stupid, but what exactly does the bow-swapping thing do? I'm not too keen on Dark Souls, though now I might pick it up and give it a go.

Nothing besides make you look strange.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's just a goofy thing. PvP Gimmicks, or just loving around with gimmicks, are the true Dark Souls.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Another fun thing is move swapping. See, in Dark Souls all your actions are invisibly queued to discourage button mashing, so if you hit attack three times quickly, you will be locked into performing three attacks.

However, if you roll, then press R2 to do a strong attack, you will perform an attack after your roll that is special in a weapon's moveset. If you quickly switch weapons during the roll, as the attack is still queued, but before the roll ends or the attack begins, you will perform that attack with the weapon you switched to.

Basically this means that any weapon with a quick, multiple hit rolling attack can be swapped for the biggest, hardest-hitting weapons in the game. Some weapons have special R2 attacks that override the rolling attacks when used, though--and perform magical attacks instead. In the case of one weapon, it casts a slowing spell with a multiple second AOE range. If you switch weapons, you perform the spell with that weapon...and instead of slowing, you deal that weapon's strong attack damage in a huge, unblockable radius

It is easily punished by experienced players, and you likely won't win if your first roll moveswap fails to kill the other person, but there's just something magical about swinging a hammer the size of a large tree trunk like it's a small curved dagger :allears:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

Another fun thing is move swapping. See, in Dark Souls all your actions are invisibly queued to discourage button mashing, so if you hit attack three times quickly, you will be locked into performing three attacks.

However, if you roll, then press R2 to do a strong attack, you will perform an attack after your roll that is special in a weapon's moveset. If you quickly switch weapons during the roll, as the attack is still queued, but before the roll ends or the attack begins, you will perform that attack with the weapon you switched to.

Basically this means that any weapon with a quick, multiple hit rolling attack can be swapped for the biggest, hardest-hitting weapons in the game. Some weapons have special R2 attacks that override the rolling attacks when used, though--and perform magical attacks instead. In the case of one weapon, it casts a slowing spell with a multiple second AOE range. If you switch weapons, you perform the spell with that weapon...and instead of slowing, you deal that weapon's strong attack damage in a huge, unblockable radius

It is easily punished by experienced players, and you likely won't win if your first roll moveswap fails to kill the other person, but there's just something magical about swinging a hammer the size of a large tree trunk like it's a small curved dagger :allears:

Does it work with swapping a bow with a giant sword causing you to shoot you sword or does it only work with melee?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Machai posted:

Does it work with swapping a bow with a giant sword causing you to shoot you sword or does it only work with melee?

I imagine that you would shoot an arrow out of your sword, if anything.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I don't believe bows have a projectile R2 attack, just R1

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
They do not, no. If it did work, I imagine it'd just shoot arrows at whatever the swing speed of your weapon is.

There was a glitch that they patched where you could item swap your dragon head (an item that turned your head into a dragon head, you could breath fire for decent damage but it drained your stamina. The fire hit several times a second for low damage but it stacked quickly) so instead of shooting fire, you could use any consumable infinitely without losing stamina. Usually people just did. This for souls to level quickly, but you could use it for throwing knives or fire bombs too. That might be my favorite glitch, just an endless stream of throwing knives permanently stunning you.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

There was a glitch that they patched where you could item swap your dragon head (an item that turned your head into a dragon head, you could breath fire for decent damage but it drained your stamina. The fire hit several times a second for low damage but it stacked quickly) so instead of shooting fire, you could use any consumable infinitely without losing stamina. Usually people just did. This for souls to level quickly, but you could use it for throwing knives or fire bombs too. That might be my favorite glitch, just an endless stream of throwing knives permanently stunning you.

The actual best use of the dragon head glitch was to vomit multicolored stones onto the ground until the game shits itself and dies. Do it before invaders even spawn and they can't see anything but rainbow motion blur.

Dec 26, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

They do not, no. If it did work, I imagine it'd just shoot arrows at whatever the swing speed of your weapon is.

The other fun dragon exploit (which got fixed in the DLC patch) was a combination with the bow backstab exploit. When you left-handed a bow, you could still do a right-hand backstab - normally this comes out to bow damage combined with your nearly nonexistent unarmed damage, which is not much. The dragon torso stone, though, makes your unarmed damage huge, so you could do giant gobs of damage with the bow backstab thing and, assuming you have a worthwhile bow, one-shot your opponent. Great way to get the tryhards mad.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The prism stone vomit glitch mentioned earlier was most often done in CPU intensive areas, like Lost Izalith, Blighttown, or New Londo Ruins. They're big open areas with lots of stuff saved into the memory, and when it starts trying to write in all those individual prism stones into your RAM as well you could brick a console

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

death .cab for qt posted:

The prism stone vomit glitch mentioned earlier was most often done in CPU intensive areas, like Lost Izalith, Blighttown, or New Londo Ruins.

Oh my god. I got into the game after the glitch was fixed so I never even considered having to deal with that in loving lagtown. That's amazing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ariong posted:

Oh my god. I got into the game after the glitch was fixed so I never even considered having to deal with that in loving lagtown. That's amazing.

It's actually worse if you do it right in New Londo. There's a glitch in the Ghost path finding that causes every one to have to rework how to reach you when you climb the shortcut ladder. It lags the game to poo poo and back. Now imagine leading your invader through a wild goose chase and having them stare at your prism stone penis collection right as you trigger that slowdown

Mutually Assured Destruction

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't even know how to respond to this.

New Age of Wushu clan will let you forcibly castrate people.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

This better become an industry standard for multiplayer games. :colbert:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I fully expect roaming castration squads. Knowing goons they'll probably bring along one of those drunk vomiting monks and vomit on the people mid-castration.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

I fully expect roaming castration squads. Knowing goons they'll probably bring along one of those drunk vomiting monks and vomit on the people mid-castration.

I fully expect a (semi) recreation of the scene from fight club.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Thumbtacks posted:

They also need a few female characters to tag along and point and giggle after each successful castration to ensure maximum nerd-rage.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Within weeks there won't be a single pair of virtual balls left in the entire game. Surely the developers know this.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The GMs are well aware of our antics. I think,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The best/worst thing about it is that forced castration will still be less creepy than the Emei chat channel. It's probably been mentioned before, but the Emei are an all-female class, so naturally there's a large contingent of weird sexists and anime-bodypillow-owners among their ranks. The creepers all refer to each other with terms like "sister". This extends to the point of addressing a more senior player as "big sister", or a newer player as "little sister". They must do this religiously, since I don't play Emei and I see them talk like that in local chat too.

The most amazingly awful thing about Emei chat, though, is the unironic Hitler apologism. Goons have screen grabs of this, people actually saying things like "hey there's nothing wrong with Hitler" :gonk:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I feel like those two things are unrelated but I have a feeling somehow there's a connection, and that worries me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

The GMs are well aware of our antics. I think,

A couple have actually partaken in our antics. (yay story time)

In particular, one time they did a "Sheriff" event where several GMs put very large bounties on their own heads - whoever had the bounty hunter buff and killed them would claim the prize. GoonTang Clan, of course, decided we were going to have fun in the best way possible - making pubbies angry. We formed up a ball of a solid 40 Goons and roamed around looking for the GMs and protecting them, butchering pubbies to keep them away from our precious ward.

At first the GMs continuously ran from us - understandable, considering that their goal for the event was to play keep away as best as possible - until we managed to catch one on a bridge and set up human barricades of whirling Goons to kill anyone who went near him and started spamming about "WE'RE GOING TO SAVE YOU MISTER PRESIDENT! EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT, YOUR SECRET SERVICE DETAIL IS HERE." Right around that point, the light went on and the GMs realized that we were running our own Protect the President event, and several of them started actively moving with the Goonball and helping us kill pubbies.

Now, this was all taking place in the middle of the Imperial City, so towards the end of the event we convinced one of the GMs (I think it was Scorch) to come with us to the Imperial Throne Room, sit on the throne, and spam to the entire zone to come fight him and his guards at the Imperial Throne. So we, of course, gathered up, prepped to fight, and had a "Goons vs the Server" fight to defend our precious GM buddy as long as possible. It was great, there was so much rage in world chat about what a bunch of shits we were for daring to stand between pubbies and free money, and I think like four guilds dropped tracking tokens on us (tracking tokens cost a moderate chunk of change and let your guild and the guild you use it on to kill each other freely, without the usual murder disincentives, for a couple hours. So they paid for the right to have us come beat their faces in :3:)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magres posted:

In particular, one time they did a "Sheriff" event where several GMs put very large bounties on their own heads - whoever had the bounty hunter buff and killed them would claim the prize. GoonTang Clan, of course, decided we were going to have fun in the best way possible - making pubbies angry. We formed up a ball of a solid 40 Goons and roamed around looking for the GMs and protecting them, butchering pubbies to keep them away from our precious ward.

At first the GMs continuously ran from us - understandable, considering that their goal for the event was to play keep away as best as possible - until we managed to catch one on a bridge and set up human barricades of whirling Goons to kill anyone who went near him and started spamming about "WE'RE GOING TO SAVE YOU MISTER PRESIDENT! EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT, YOUR SECRET SERVICE DETAIL IS HERE." Right around that point, the light went on and the GMs realized that we were running our own Protect the President event, and several of them started actively moving with the Goonball and helping us kill pubbies.

Now, this was all taking place in the middle of the Imperial City, so towards the end of the event we convinced one of the GMs (I think it was Scorch) to come with us to the Imperial Throne Room, sit on the throne, and spam to the entire zone to come fight him and his guards at the Imperial Throne. So we, of course, gathered up, prepped to fight, and had a "Goons vs the Server" fight to defend our precious GM buddy as long as possible. It was great, there was so much rage in world chat about what a bunch of shits we were for daring to stand between pubbies and free money, and I think like four guilds dropped tracking tokens on us (tracking tokens cost a moderate chunk of change and let your guild and the guild you use it on to kill each other freely, without the usual murder disincentives, for a couple hours. So they paid for the right to have us come beat their faces in :3:)

This is incredible and makes me want to take a look at this game. It's always fun when the GMs and officials act like people and have some fun.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Magres posted:

How long until you guys try to castrate a GM?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Man, once my first big paycheck from my new job comes in next Friday, the first thing I'm doing is buying a buttload of months of VIP. I really need to get back into rolling with GTC, but it's so unfun without VIP unless I want to leave my computer on in my room making it broiling hot overnight to level.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The game itself is hilariously fun, but I got really bummed out and stopped playing because the developers seemed intent on running the game into the ground as hard as possible.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It's only fair that Snail get to grief people too, right? At least, that's the only reason I could understand them not just IP-banning botters and gold sellers once in a while :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

codenameFANGIO posted:

Within weeks there won't be a single pair of virtual balls left in the entire game. Surely the developers know this.

It's poo poo like this that makes me want to play again. Drunk squad will have a new punishment to deal out to evil-doers in Chengdu. :colbert:

Then again, the company that owns the US version is immensely lovely. They refused to deal with someone hacking and emptying out the goon manual bank I set up, and they triple billed me for VIP. Getting a refund was like pulling teeth. Hopefully the EU version gets this update soon.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No horse, or no balls. gently caress I miss Age of Wushu :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Archonex posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes me want to play again. Drunk squad will have a new punishment to deal out to evil-doers in Chengdu. :colbert:

Then again, the company that owns the US version is immensely lovely. They refused to deal with someone hacking and emptying out the goon manual bank I set up, and they triple billed me for VIP. Getting a refund was like pulling teeth. Hopefully the EU version gets this update soon.

SnailUSA is the entirety of the reason I stopped playing. I'm lucky my bank took one look at the five(!) times they tried to charge my debit card and went LOLNO

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Archonex posted:

How is the EU version, by the way? I played a bit on US until I realized time zones made getting to any important events impossible, and EU servers were being run by some company with a poor track history with the F2P monetizing aspect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They got clan bases working as intended from day one. Snail's still do nothing. :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MiF posted:

How is the EU version, by the way? I played a bit on US until I realized time zones made getting to any important events impossible, and EU servers were being run by some company with a poor track history with the F2P monetizing aspect.

I've heard it's much better, though I haven't had time to confirm that for myself yet. I've mostly been waiting to see if a major goon presence moves there before I decide to play or not.

It'd be hard to be worse than the US version though. The US version is lovely enough on the company and management end that I gave up on trying to play it after they dicked over my account for the umpteenth time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 8, 2013

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

MiF posted:

So far the EU server is doing alot better content wise rather than just add in content with patches like the US version, they instead started with all the patches in and just need to start the events to open the new content. Because it's set up like that there's a much better flow of content, on the US version we had access to a whole bunch of bullshit that was entirely useless until later patches added in uses, here the items get unlocked together with whatever uses it.
It also means we don't have to deal with alot of the bugs/exploits that took a while to get patched out of the US version.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Delamore posted:

So far the EU server is doing alot better content wise rather than just add in content with patches like the US version, they instead started with all the patches in and just need to start the events to open the new content. Because it's set up like that there's a much better flow of content, on the US version we had access to a whole bunch of bullshit that was entirely useless until later patches added in uses, here the items get unlocked together with whatever uses it.
It also means we don't have to deal with alot of the bugs/exploits that took a while to get patched out of the US version.

Does the EU server have poo poo like the door exploits in guild hall battles fixed, or some sort of deterrent for the nigh-unbreakable throne meat grinders? Because that's what ended up killing it for me. :(

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Delamore posted:

That's really good to know, thanks! Do you still run operations on the US server, by the way? I'd like to give away my old account so you can give it to whoever can use it(VIP purchase, RG with all 3 styles unlocked)

Also as an apology for the derail, I'll post one more silly MUD story. Christ, reading the stuff I did(and wrote :v:) as a teen makes me realize that the people calling me an rear end in a top hat were right. I've written a few posts about HellMOO in this thread, but here's the last one. This whole thing probably wasn't known to more than a handful of people.

Like I mentioned earlier, we were legendary assholes in HellMOO. Our player careers came to an end as we were offered admin positions while we were getting rid of about 1/3 of the game's database in form of text game riches, intending to quit. We gladly took the position, but it didn't take many months to get bored of creating things and poking around. We mostly yelled at the owner admins who hadn't played the game in forever, and had some terribly strange ideas for changes and improvements. Our welcome was wearing thin. Anything you'd want to change had to be run by one or more of these guys as well, so we couldn't get much done on existing stuff anyway. Me and Joe realized we'd eventually get unceremoniously booted for this.

A bit later I found a chat network that broadcast any and all login attempts with usernames and passwords in loving plaintext. Immediately reported this to the admins, and it was plugged. However, trying to make heads or tails of the thing, a few pages of player passwords(which were stored in the network object) ended up in my logs which were automatically saved by my client. Eventually the unceremonious booting also came for my actions, and my good buddy Joe got caught in the flak as well. Became ban on sight. I wasn't terribly pleased.

Again, months later, I realized I had everything I needed. I was friends with the best griefing player of the time(known as cloudpaladin) who wasn't welcome either. Being a plucky little sociopath, I wanted to see if I couldn't get in one last grief. We tested some of the low profile characters I'd caught, and they all worked. We even had an admin character, who we used to gather information players wouldn't get access to. That one got banned, but the admins never suspected anyone would have access to several characters.

It was time to really put the passwords to use, so I gave the list to my griefing buddy cloudpaladin and he logged onto the prime target: ZedXionova's main account(guy who I constantly harassed and wrote about earlier in the thread). ZedXionova's character descriptions were changed to the vilest loving things. The character was also rerolled, so he lost all his work on that. Of course, the admins at the time assumed it was some sort of keylogger or what have you, and did nothing to help him.

It didn't end quite there, though. I don't exactly remember how, but we framed another admin(by the name of Cherry) who had fallen out of favor. They still had their powers as all this went down, but became the fall guy not long after thanks to us.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
MUD griefing stories are the opposite of a derail, haha

Delamore, how are pings on the EU server? When I played some CBT I had better ping to EU than I did to NA (which is still :psyduck: considering I'm loving west coast and the NA servers are supposed to be west coast) and I had a thousand different Goons rant that EU pings were going to go to poo poo the moment OBT hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

MiF posted:

That's really good to know, thanks! Do you still run operations on the US server, by the way? I'd like to give away my old account so you can give it to whoever can use it(VIP purchase, RG with all 3 styles unlocked)

Also as an apology for the derail, I'll post one more silly MUD story. Christ, reading the stuff I did(and wrote :v:) as a teen makes me realize that the people calling me an rear end in a top hat were right. I've written a few posts about HellMOO in this thread, but here's the last one. This whole thing probably wasn't known to more than a handful of people.

Like I mentioned earlier, we were legendary assholes in HellMOO. Our player careers came to an end as we were offered admin positions while we were getting rid of about 1/3 of the game's database in form of text game riches, intending to quit. We gladly took the position, but it didn't take many months to get bored of creating things and poking around. We mostly yelled at the owner admins who hadn't played the game in forever, and had some terribly strange ideas for changes and improvements. Our welcome was wearing thin. Anything you'd want to change had to be run by one or more of these guys as well, so we couldn't get much done on existing stuff anyway. Me and Joe realized we'd eventually get unceremoniously booted for this.

A bit later I found a chat network that broadcast any and all login attempts with usernames and passwords in loving plaintext. Immediately reported this to the admins, and it was plugged. However, trying to make heads or tails of the thing, a few pages of player passwords(which were stored in the network object) ended up in my logs which were automatically saved by my client. Eventually the unceremonious booting also came for my actions, and my good buddy Joe got caught in the flak as well. Became ban on sight. I wasn't terribly pleased.

Again, months later, I realized I had everything I needed. I was friends with the best griefing player of the time(known as cloudpaladin) who wasn't welcome either. Being a plucky little sociopath, I wanted to see if I couldn't get in one last grief. We tested some of the low profile characters I'd caught, and they all worked. We even had an admin character, who we used to gather information players wouldn't get access to. That one got banned, but the admins never suspected anyone would have access to several characters.

It was time to really put the passwords to use, so I gave the list to my griefing buddy cloudpaladin and he logged onto the prime target: ZedXionova's main account(guy who I constantly harassed and wrote about earlier in the thread). ZedXionova's character descriptions were changed to the vilest loving things. The character was also rerolled, so he lost all his work on that. Of course, the admins at the time assumed it was some sort of keylogger or what have you, and did nothing to help him.

It didn't end quite there, though. I don't exactly remember how, but we framed another admin(by the name of Cherry) who had fallen out of favor. They still had their powers as all this went down, but became the fall guy not long after thanks to us.

You are a legend :allears:
I started playing after the whole Cloudpaladin thing, but he was still infamous. Thank you for sharing this.

• Locked thread