Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gatts posted:

I would like them to have Edgar Wright direct the last Thor, involve Simon Pegg and Nick Frost somehow, and it essentially is a fun lighthearted adventure like out of Indy Jones where the climax is decided by a beer drinking contest like out of Beerfest. We will have a scene where Odin attempts to out drink a giant purple and blue armored man named Galactus. Thor vs Surfer involving das boot. Throw in some Celestials as the baddies.

Thor vs. Surfer in an interstellar surfing competition a la Batman '66, complete with cosmic swim briefs over their costumes/bodies (patterned in swirling Kirby dots, natch).

It's okay Hollywood, you get this one free. Just let me direct Silver Surfer 2: Surf Celestials.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

For example, forg zample.

Yes, this was an actual thing someone in CineD actually saw.

You're a fool if you don't immediately assimilate this into your own common vernacular.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

scary ghost dog posted:

You're a fool if you don't immediately assimilate this into your own common vernacular.

Yeah, forg zample is some transcendental poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Okay, the Da Vinchi thing is annoying, because it's already phonetic, just phonetic Italian instead of English. But I'm permanently switching to forg zample.

Edit, I'm making it a hypenate: forg-zample. Because hypens are cool, just ask Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 8, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Edit: Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be a 90 minute Latin American intervention strategy justification on the big screen.

The funniest part of this is the idea that a contemporary summer blockbuster would be 90 minutes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

It would be cool to have a History of the Marvel Universe movie something like Hickman was working on with his SHIELD series. Like either a mini series or anthology or an epic movie spanning eras drawing inspiration from Cloud Atlas. Stuff like Apocalypse teaming up with human heroes of his era, perhaps Wakandans, Moon Knight, and the Sorceror Supreme of that time (not human) to repel invasion from another dimension or even a scene where Galileo whips out the device he created to repel Galactus.

Watchmen actually made a direct-to-DVD adaptation of Behind the Mask, it wasn't amazing but it was exact low-key mockumentary format people have (and continue to) clamored for their superhero canon of choice: mostly just talking head footage of the actors from the movie, in-character, shooting the poo poo and recounting historical events and backstory, interspersed with some still images and fake news footage.

The MSJ posted:

For example, forg zample.

I hate to be the baron of bad news, but it's a doggy dog world we live in. Let's segway from this and talk about the boocoo bucks they're spending on Thor 2.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hate to be the baron of bad news, but it's a doggy dog world we live in. Let's segway from this and talk about the boocoo bucks they're spending on Thor 2.

A Forbes article says around $200 million which is rather a lot of money, and I'm not sure the success of Thor really justifies having such a massive budget. I felt there was a lot of room for improvement in Thor and I'd probably be a lot more interested in marketing saying "Thor 2 will be better written and Thor and Loki will grow as characters" than "Thor will fight the space elves in a large field and the whole world is in danger". Are Marvel letting their movie superheroes develop at all? I never watched Iron Man 2 and 3, is he still basically the same guy?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tony Stark had plenty of character development in Iron Man 3.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

I never watched Iron Man 2 and 3, is he still basically the same guy?

In Iron Man 2, yeah. But in Iron Man 3 Stark is an emo mess and has to work out his issues with the help of a young male companion.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

In Iron Man 2, yeah. But in Iron Man 3 Stark is an emo mess and has to work out his issues with the help of a young male companion.

I'm not sure how you equate having severe anxiety attacks to emo but sure.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Haven't you heard? PTSD = Emo.

Also Man of Steel was the best superhero movie I've seen in recent memory, but I can understand how it would alienate most nerds. I'm curious how a Batman crossover would work, though. Especially with someone like Miller being brought in as a consultant.

Edit: VVV Whoops, typo.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 9, 2013

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Also Man of Steel was the best superhero movie I've seen in recent memory, but I can understand how it would alienate most nerds. I'm curious how a Batman crossover would work, though. Especially with someone like Millar being brought in as a consultant.

Wait is it Millar or Miller

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Senor Candle posted:

Wait is it Millar or Miller

Miller as in Frank, of Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Back, and All Star Batman fame. I'm hoping we get the Miller who took the piss out of how writers write Batman these days (outside of Morrison).

Mark Millar is working for Fox I believe, on their superhero projects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gatts posted:

Miller as in Frank, of Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Back, and All Star Batman fame. I'm hoping we get the Miller who took the piss out of how writers write Batman these days (outside of Morrison).

That Miller was dying before 9/11 made him slough off this mortal coil. He used to just be a proto-facist with weird hang ups about women and now he's an insane ultra-facist with vitriolic views on women. You don't want him near a movie, a comic, or really any media capable of translating his thoughts into a form others can comprehend.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Barudak posted:

That Miller was dying before 9/11 made him slough off this mortal coil. He used to just be a proto-facist with weird hang ups about women and now he's an insane ultra-facist with vitriolic views on women. You don't want him near a movie, a comic, or really any media capable of translating his thoughts into a form others can comprehend.

Counterpoint: All Star Batman and Robin is hilarious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

Counterpoint: All Star Batman and Robin is hilarious.

And I want to see that ridiculousness. It would be more entertaining.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 9, 2013

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
In a perfect world Miller's advice would be used to craft the perfect antagonistic Batman. The previous films have even laid most of the groundwork for it, already. Wayne funds and supplies the Military Industrial Complex, Clark downs multimillion dollar drones.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know, I never noticed it, but Plastic Man refers to Superman as Kent in All Star Batman and Robin. That's kind of funny.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Uh, no? All of those guys, and yes, I am including Brett loving Rattner, would be better for Superman than Frank "Holy Terror" Miller.
Are there any good takedowns of Holy Terror?
Every review I've read about it makes it plain that the critic hated the premise and had no intention of giving a favourable review even if Miller gave us a Watchmen or Swamp Thing.

I mean,

quote:

This fictionalization of Al-Qaeda guts Holy Terror of any emotional resonance. Miller doesn't depict the terrorists as any real-world threat. No, they're James Bond villains who happen to yell "Jihad!" a lot. The goofiness of the villains makes the Fixer a piss-poor avatar for revenge — you might as well be cheering him on as he fights COBRA or Goldfinger's henchmen.
What?

e: \/
[citation needed] all over even that review. Ugh, I guess I'll have to read it myself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if its as hosed up as people claim, but there's a big difference between turning Al-Qaeda into caricatures and turning the Muslim world into a caricature.
Though taking his "news objectivity is a twentieth-century myth" and turning it into "[I have the] right to tell lies" is uh, un-generous to say the least.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 9, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was just reading this last month:

http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-frank-millers-holy-terror-part-1.html

Probably gets no better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Are there any good takedowns of Holy Terror?
Every review I've read about it makes it plain that the critic hated the premise and had no intention of giving a favourable review even if Miller gave us a Watchmen or Swamp Thing.

David Brothers' writeup was absolutely excellent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

[citation needed] all over even that review. Ugh, I guess I'll have to read it myself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if its as hosed up as people claim, but there's a big difference between turning Al-Qaeda into caricatures and turning the Muslim world into a caricature.
Though taking his "news objectivity is a twentieth-century myth" and turning it into "[I have the] right to tell lies" is uh, un-generous to say the least.

He reviewed the entire book in seven parts and makes a lot of good points about Miller's avowed ideology in his writing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is there any talk of trying to film Gaiman's "Sandman"?

Also, I've looked but couldn't find a thread - is that comic series discussed anywhere on SA?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redshirt posted:

Is there any talk of trying to film Gaiman's "Sandman"?

Also, I've looked but couldn't find a thread - is that comic series discussed anywhere on SA?

It's kind-of a well-worn series at over 20 years old, and I haven't seen any retrospectives on it personally. That'll probably change when Gaiman's new Sandman story drops though.

As far as movies, I recall an anecdote about Gaiman saying that Sandman wasn't "film-shaped." The story goes that he gave a nice long pitch of the narrative and all the wonderful things in it, and the board he was pitching to said "yes, but does the Sandman have a clear villain?" When Gaiman replied "no" the meeting effectively ended and that was it.

I mean someone always says that there's "talk" of trying to get Sandman made into a movie about once a year, but that's true of so many properties that until you hear buzz coming from a lot of sources you shouldn't take them seriously.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

It's kind-of a well-worn series at over 20 years old, and I haven't seen any retrospectives on it personally. That'll probably change when Gaiman's new Sandman story drops though.

As far as movies, I recall an anecdote about Gaiman saying that Sandman wasn't "film-shaped." The story goes that he gave a nice long pitch of the narrative and all the wonderful things in it, and the board he was pitching to said "yes, but does the Sandman have a clear villain?" When Gaiman replied "no" the meeting effectively ended and that was it.

I mean someone always says that there's "talk" of trying to get Sandman made into a movie about once a year, but that's true of so many properties that until you hear buzz coming from a lot of sources you shouldn't take them seriously.

As cliche as it is, it would actually work much better as a TV series. Maybe after his current HBO thing ends he'll have the clout to get it made somewhere, but I doubt it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Also Man of Steel was the best superhero movie I've seen in recent memory, but I can understand how it would alienate most nerds. I'm curious how a Batman crossover would work, though. Especially with someone like Miller being brought in as a consultant.

Edit: VVV Whoops, typo.

Man of Steel is so hard to gauge because just about review site I read (including our own Current Events) spent all of the review ranting and raving about how Superman ought to be and how the movie didn't live up to their expectation of that rather than actually telling me anything about the movie itself.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy it because I liked Superman Returns in spite of all the critical and fan backlash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Man of Steel is so hard to gauge because just about review site I read (including our own Current Events) spent all of the review ranting and raving about how Superman ought to be and how the movie didn't live up to their expectation of that rather than actually telling me anything about the movie itself.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy it because I liked Superman Returns in spite of all the critical and fan backlash.

It's a heavily flawed movie, make no mistake. It's one of the few movies that I--a total idiot when it comes to cinematic language--could tell was really hurt by its editing. Some scenes go on way too long or do little more than repeat what earlier scenes had established, others are way too short, and the pacing between narrative shifts is jarring in several places. When a total cinema scrub like myself can pick up on that on the first pass, you know something's up. The script also makes some very large and obvious blunders that undercut the verisimilitude that the picture is going for.

That said it's a solid enough retelling of Superman's origin with a few bold choices. Some work, some don't--again it mostly comes down to pacing/editing rather than the script or acting. How well those choices all hang together as a film is something I'm too dumb to properly say, but even though there was a fair amount I disliked I still came away from the movie satisfied overall--and I really hate Zach Snyder's earlier work for whatever it's worth.

If you've ever actually bothered to read any of Superman's comic origin retellings from the last 15 years that's actually the biggest way to tell you what to expect--each take makes some good choices and some dumb ones and often struggles to bring the second "action" half and the first slower-paced origin half together in a thematically satisfying way. It reminded me most of "Earth One", which was pretty mediocre, although it was elevated by including some Birthright and Secret Origins in there as well.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My only advice for Man of Steel is to go see it, it's extremely polarizing and you really need to just watch it and come to your own conclusions.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gatts posted:

Good lord, that first Batman panel reads like a 50 Ft Ant story or something. I get that re-imagining heroes is something you do in the 80 years or so they've been around but that's just unpleasant.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

My only advice for Man of Steel is to go see it, it's extremely polarizing and you really need to just watch it and come to your own conclusions.

This is the best kind of movie! I can't wait for it to come out on video.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

You should probably bring something to read if you do though, the last 30 or 40 minutes are pretty much completely uninterrupted action and it actually gets kind of dull. Once you've seen Superman punch a dude through a building once, seeing the same thing five more times isn't really that interesting. It might just be my personal preference and some people in the thread said they loved the final act, but I just found it completely devoid of suspense and unbearably boring.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Red Bones posted:

You should probably bring something to read if you do though, the last 30 or 40 minutes are pretty much completely uninterrupted action and it actually gets kind of dull. Once you've seen Superman punch a dude through a building once, seeing the same thing five more times isn't really that interesting. It might just be my personal preference and some people in the thread said they loved the final act, but I just found it completely devoid of suspense and unbearably boring.

Case in point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gatts posted:

So I don't actually follow the comics. Why is everything and everyone gold (besides Green Lantern)?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So I don't actually follow the comics. Why is everything and everyone gold (besides Green Lantern)?

Green Lantern's ring can't affect yellow objects. Not sure if this has ever changed in the book. I think it had something to do with an impurity in the rings, but I could be wrong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Green Lantern's powers can't affect anything yellow. So Batman painted everything yellow and made them lemonade.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's amazing

edit: The lemonade is the best part I think

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The best part is Robin's lemon ice cream :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"drat you and your lemonade!" is such a hilarious line.

All-Star Batman and Robin was so great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Green Lantern's powers can't affect anything yellow. So Batman painted everything yellow and made them lemonade.

And Robin is eating yellow ice cream in one panel as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

DFu4ever posted:

Green Lantern's ring can't affect yellow objects. Not sure if this has ever changed in the book. I think it had something to do with an impurity in the rings, but I could be wrong.

So essentially in the regular comics storyline Yellow is the color of fear and fear is an impurity and challenge to willpower along the emotional color spectrum (Red for Hate, Blue for Hope, etc). Originally Hal Jordan went mad and killed the Corps calling himself Parallax. Kyle Rayner was the last Green Lantern hope who helped beat him. Hal Jordan then did penance after death as the Spectre, the right hand/wrath of God. Until Geoff Johns brought Hal back.

Welp. What it turned out is that Parallax is the entity/avatar of fear, born at the dawn of time or some such, and he was imprisoned in the core/source of the Green Lantern's power battery on OA and thus explains the Green Lantern Corps weakness to Yellow. Parallax is represented by a giant yellow space bug. The Sinestro Corps use yellow rings and Sinestro was a GL villain for a long while. Once Parallax was purged, the Green Lanterns no longer were weak to yellow. Parallax loves to go around possessing Green Lanterns like Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner and make them do bad things.

The avatar of willpower, green, is a great space whale called Ion that is nifty.

Note: The original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, got his power in a different way from a meteor/comet and his weakness and what he can't affect is wood.

What does all this mean? Nothing except for comic nerds the knowledge of GL's weakness to yellow is used in an out of continuity story called All Star Batman and Robin where Frank Miller makes light of the depiction of Batman in the comics, something that modern writers went to because they were influenced by Frank's work on The Dark Knight Returns which is an iconic story. Batman was getting to be pretty retarded around that time.

EDIT: Some poo poo...

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 10, 2013

• Locked thread