Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

SalTheBard posted:

Any truth to this or is this more No you are the racist for pointing out racism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy#Evolution

Look at the section on Lee Atwater (who was basically Karl Rove before Karl Rove).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy#21st_century

Also the former RNC head, Ken Mehlmen basically apologized for the modern day GOP's racism when he visited the NAACP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Oooo ooo ooo! I finally got one! A buddy got this from his grandparents (who are racist as all hell) and figured I'd get a laugh out of it. So I present it to you guys to laugh at too.

crazy grandparents posted:

In honor of the 44th President of the United States , Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream has introduced a new flavor: Barocky Road

Barocky Road is a blend of half vanilla, half chocolate, and surrounded by nuts and flakes. The vanilla portion of the mix is not openly advertised and usually denied as an ingredient. The nuts and flakes are all plentiful.

The cost is $92.84 per scoop...so, out of a $100 bill, you are at least promised some CHANGE.

When purchased, it will be presented to you in a large beautiful cone, but after you pay for it, the ice cream is taken out of the cone and given to the person in line behind you at no charge.

You are left with an almost-empty wallet, staring at an empty cone and wondering what just happened. Then you realize this is what "redistribution of wealth" is all about.

Aren't you just stimulated?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I think it shows a level of deliberate racism that many people want to deny, which is what I think is important about it.

I mean, at the end of the day it's not really that important because the Southern Strategy, as you say, is a national strategy, but I remember being utterly shocked about the Atwater quote in my younger, more naive days, so I'd hope others are as shocked too.

I remember being surprised that a high-level member of Reagan's election team just came out and said that they used coded language to appeal to racist voters, but I wasn't particularly surprised by the tactic. What I was surprised by (being a worldly boy from suburban Minnesota) was the fact that a president in my lifetime decided that his election chances would be helped rather than hindered by pandering to crazy racists.

Really, I think that that's a big part of the reason that so many people all over the country have lost their minds over President Obama. Yeah, he's black and they hate him for it, but moreover he's a symbol of their waning influence over national politics and the changing of the guard to a younger and hopefully less racist electorate.

But holy poo poo are people still racist as gently caress in this country! Until Obama was elected I had no idea how bad it was out there. It's been a real eye opener.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

There needs to be some kind of law against conservatives making puns. For everyone's sake.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blarghalt posted:

There needs to be some kind of law against conservatives making puns. For everyone's sake.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Radish posted:

I am convinced that within 10 years there is going to be a serious push that people saying n***** are not racist and the middling cable TV media will be too cowardly to take a stand on the issue.

Not really. If you hang around freeper types a lot you might get that impression but for the public at large dropping the n-bomb is still firmly in the "whoa dude. Not cool." territory.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not really. If you hang around freeper types a lot you might get that impression but for the public at large dropping the n-bomb is still firmly in the "whoa dude. Not cool." territory.

Yea, but instead dogwhistle racism reigns supreme.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Freepers and/or tea party types may claim they're not racist, but if you're alone with one and they think you're one of them holy poo poo do the epitaphs start flowing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Maybe I am a pessimist but I think that the stigma is against the word and not what it means. People are still supremely racist and once enough of them feel they can be so openly without consequence I believe there will be a real push to go all out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/08/07/anti-obama-protesters-get-racial-in-arizona/

While I'm sure these people aren't the majority they certainly have no reservations about being openly racist and also blaming Obama for making them act racist (in the same way being black makes certain white people scared and "have to defend themselves"). It feels like since Obama was elected, it's been getting more and more acceptable to push the racist envelope and more and more impolite to identify people as bigots. Part of that is probably the flailing of a dying ideology but it's really fighting hard and many places seem pleased to capitulate to it while few in high positions are willing to call it what it is.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 8, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mitchicon posted:

Yea, but instead dogwhistle racism reigns supreme.

Oh yeah not disagreeing with that or saying that racism is dead or anything. A lot of "normal" people don't know racism means more than just yelling the n-word at a black guy and will say some pretty horrible things.

I just think the n-word will forever be that "off limits" sort of deal that everyone just sort of collectively agrees is untouchable. You'll have a lot of people going "well why can THEY say it?" still but they know even if they don't like it they'll be ostracized for saying it.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Fausts Pen posted:

Oooo ooo ooo! I finally got one! A buddy got this from his grandparents (who are racist as all hell) and figured I'd get a laugh out of it. So I present it to you guys to laugh at too.

God, any time a right winger makes a metaphor, they have to beat you over the goddamn head with it. This is why they can't do humor. Half the time they're just yelling "Get it? GET
IT?!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think that its not that Obama made the racists more brazenly racists, I think it made the white people who don't see racism every day but knew it was there, think it had lessened. I'm not talking about the Republicans who justify restricting voting rights by saying Obama proves we're post racial, but more the white people who are insulated from the racism that keeps happening. From their perspective, yes, Obama has been elected, so a huge milestone for African Americans has been reached, so yes, racism is lesser now, so that prominent African American leaders are crying racist more now might be them slightly overreacting. So the racists capitalise on this by doing more and more racist poo poo.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember being surprised that a high-level member of Reagan's election team just came out and said that they used coded language to appeal to racist voters, but I wasn't particularly surprised by the tactic. What I was surprised by (being a worldly boy from suburban Minnesota) was the fact that a president in my lifetime decided that his election chances would be helped rather than hindered by pandering to crazy racists.
Reagans tactics also involved stealing Carters debate notes so he could know which lies Carter couldn't counter. There was very little Reagan would not stoop to. The man had absolutely no shame.

A career of playing co-star to a chimp will do that to you, I suppose.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have nothing but disdain for Reagan. For some odd reason, a paranoid, lovely person makes a paranoid, lovely president. Weird.

I think I posted this before but when my grandfather died, my uncle was being an obnoxious rear end and I called him out on it. I guess making the link between "those rappers are all about shooting poo poo up and friend of the family this and friend of the family that" and him parroting poo poo about Obama from Fox News makes me the rear end in a top hat in the room when I insisted that he should just come clean and say he doesn't like the president because he's black.

"ARE YOU CALLING ME A RACIST!? "
I can only assume that the face I made I response looked like :ironicat:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This has popped up THREE TIMES today, all from soon to be mothers that I am friends with on Facebook.

quote:

Courts quietly confirm MMR Vaccine causes Autism... blah blah blah

The reaction to my criticism has been odd: Two were straight up hostile, one even called me a shill for big pharma! The other used the equally annoying "I'm just asking questions" bit.

I want to know if there is ANYTHING that works to talk sense into these kind of people? I usually just laugh at the conspiracy poo poo, as most of it is harmless, but the anti-vax movement is actively endangering people. That bothers me.

Also another guy responded to one of theses posts with a image macro from the GBS thread about the anti-vax movement, that brought up animal fat and proteins being in vaccines, and then told them to go to meatspin for more info. I laughed pretty hard about that. The might be the best way to handle these people, as you can't really reason with them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Iunnrais posted:

This showed up on my facebook from someone I consider a friend, and it made me so mad I can't even coherently respond to it.

The War on Drugs was started in 1971. You had 42 years to get it right. $1 trillion of our money was confiscated, and drugs are still winning.

Dirt posted:

Also another guy responded to one of theses posts with a image macro from the GBS thread about the anti-vax movement, that brought up animal fat and proteins being in vaccines, and then told them to go to meatspin for more info. I laughed pretty hard about that. The might be the best way to handle these people, as you can't really reason with them.

Please post any funny fallout from that.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
"If the war on drugs was a real war, drugs would be goose stepping down the streets of DC right now."

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Reagans tactics also involved stealing Carters debate notes so he could know which lies Carter couldn't counter. There was very little Reagan would not stoop to. The man had absolutely no shame.

A career of playing co-star to a chimp will do that to you, I suppose.

Do you happen to have a link to any info on this?

As to the racism towards President Obama, I always got the impression people hate him because there is a big old D after his name, the black part is just the avenue the attacks take. Not that the people aren't racist but they really hate democrats more. So even if the whitest person running as a Democrat in 08 and 12 had won they would still hate him and be attacking him hey just would have found another avenue to take. Look at how much they hated Clinton and to this day still speak poorly of Carter.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

Freepers and/or tea party types may claim they're not racist, but if you're alone with one and they think you're one of them holy poo poo do the epitaphs start flowing.
"Epithet". An "epitaph" is what goes on your tombstone.

Dirt posted:

This has popped up THREE TIMES today, all from soon to be mothers that I am friends with on Facebook.

The reaction to my criticism has been odd: Two were straight up hostile, one even called me a shill for big pharma! The other used the equally annoying "I'm just asking questions" bit.

I want to know if there is ANYTHING that works to talk sense into these kind of people? I usually just laugh at the conspiracy poo poo, as most of it is harmless, but the anti-vax movement is actively endangering people. That bothers me.
If you already pointed out that the originating Wakefield study has been proven as a complete fraud, then there's not much more you can do.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Dirt posted:

I want to know if there was actually a media event that sparked this. It came back up a few weeks ago, all I can find is couple of lovely blog articles like this one with the first appearing to come July 27th. So was it just a blogger talking out of their rear end that got things rolling, or was there a protest or something?

Also, fun part, that article I linked to was posted on Facebook by a colleague of mine that has a PhD in chemistry. :psyduck:

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/notes/reik...617925554892320

I love the sincere use of Dees illustrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What's great about that anti vax site article is if you click on the source it brings you to the original aticle and web site with an update at the bottom refuting the entire article.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This thread always makes me think about this Onion article.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Stop being friends with those types of people. Don't be friends with people who willingly abuse their children and expose other children to serious diseases.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
If we did that we wouldn't have this amazing thread. Joking of course. Those people should have no friends. One of my wife's friends almost had my wife not vaccinating our children. I was not pleased.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 8, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sir Rolo posted:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/reik...617925554892320

I love the sincere use of Dees illustrations.

Nearly everything is either [citation needed] or a link to Natural News, it's breathtaking

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Fausts Pen posted:

I'm reminded of Penn & Teller's idiotic metaphor of pies for taxes, where Teller kept taking slice after slice from Penn's pie, which totally missed the part about how if it was to scale with the wealthy, Penn would've had giant pie warehouses in multiple countries and Teller would get a handful of blueberries to try to feed three kids with.

Someone seems to think that tax day is the day when we turn over 99.9% of our income over to a man in a black suit, who then walks half a block and throws the wads of cash at a bunch of dirty poors so they can go buy a Cadillac. Meanwhile in real life everyone pays in a modest portion of their earnings (maybe more than you might like, but still not that much) and in exchange gets a zillion useful services out of it. Poor people also get the privilege of not starving in the streets, despite some corporations' best efforts.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've never shown a diehard the Atwater clip but I do wonder what the reaction would be. Is it like watching a whole worldview come crashing down, or do the defense mechanisms somehow explain away Atwater?

You can send them the whole interview. Let us know how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btW831W0o34

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Phone posted:

I have nothing but disdain for Reagan. For some odd reason, a paranoid, lovely person makes a paranoid, lovely president. Weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the best book on why Reagan was terrible?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I just got that horrible picture accompanied by "Ambassador Stevens was burned and tortured and raped for seven hours while OBAMA AND HILLARY DID NOTHING" forward on facebook, and I remember this thread had a pretty good truth bomb about the whole thing. I already told the guy that the picture wasn't of Stevens (couldn't remember where it actually came from, though), Stevens died of asphyxiation, the locals were actually super overjoyed to find him alive, and that they personally carried/drove him to the nearest hospital. I swear there was more to it than that.

The picture in question was this one:

:nws::nws:

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
I posted that here.

For the short version, that picture was taken in the late 80s in a period of Argentinian repression. It's not clear whether this is a training exercise or actual torture, but it's clearly not Ambassador Stevens.

The picture of the actual Ambassador Stevens to accompany claims he was raped is usually this one.

To me, it looks like a man trying to carry Stevens to the hospital with such haste that he didn't even pocket his phone. To others, it's a big ol' gay rapefest.

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 8, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Cool. I knew and mentioned that the picture was decades old, and I posted that same photo of Stevens.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd really press on how despicable it is to knowingly use a photo of another person being tortured in order to create false evidence of your conspiracy theory.

Sure, the people that pass it on don't know but the person who made it deliberately lied.

Both of these people in the photos have families, how would you feel if someone posted a picture from an autopsy and claimed it was your grandmother and that she didn't actually die the way everyone says she did, she was vivisected.

That's what the author of that email is doing, because his favorite choice for president didn't get picked.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

I'm reminded of Penn & Teller's idiotic metaphor of pies for taxes, where Teller kept taking slice after slice from Penn's pie, which totally missed the part about how if it was to scale with the wealthy, Penn would've had giant pie warehouses in multiple countries and Teller would get a handful of blueberries to try to feed three kids with.

I also don't why people can't understand progressive taxation. It really isn't all that complicated.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I also don't why people can't understand progressive taxation. It really isn't all that complicated.

I sometimes wonder whether or not there's a genuine lack of understanding versus the whole "taxing the makers is a dumb thing, don't make atlas shrug okay" can of worms.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Derek Agony posted:

Are people really forwarding/Facebook posting that email without even updating the year counts?

Did you hear? It's been one year since Australia enacted gun control, and crime is up up up!

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Mooseontheloose posted:

There's a guy who comments on a bunch of posts a friend of mine from high school posts. Apparently he makes a decent amount of money, and he completely rages about the progressive tax, saying it's not fair that he pays a higher percentage. He's also said (direct quotes) "some people need to have their votes suppressed" and "oligarchy ftw".

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Nyarai posted:

To me, it looks like a man trying to carry Stevens to the hospital with such haste that he didn't even pocket his phone. To others, it's a big ol' gay rapefest.

That's in fact what they're doing. Another meme that comes up with this is they were yelling Allahu Akbar! over Steven's death. They were in fact yelling that. But as someone here who could speak Arabic said back when in the mid-east thread, in the video what they're actually saying is something like "Is he breathing?" "I think so!" "Allah Akbar!"

And then those evil bastards carried him to a hospital a few blocks away since ambulances couldn't get through.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 9, 2013

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Amused to Death posted:

That's in fact what they're doing. Another meme that comes up with this is they were yelling Allahu Akbar! over Steven's death. They were in fact yelling that. But as someone here who could speak Arabic said back when in the mid-east thread, in the video what they're actually saying is something like "Is he breathing?" "I think so!" "Allah Akbar!"

I saw a video of the aftermath of an explosion in Syria and the guy behind the camera would say that whenever they found someone in the rubble, dead or alive. Do they use it like "oh my god!" as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If that's the case then boy howdy, by the standards right wingers hold muslims to, there were a lot of New Yorkers ecstatic over the WTC attacks.