Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just don't try to purée ginger in one.
It'll trip the motor's fail safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The clutch going off was the most terrifying sound I had ever heard the first time it happened because I thought I got a lemon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

uber posted:

Uhhh what? 4x markup? You got any data on that?
My data's Shark Tank, basically, but it's a decent rule of thumb for things sold in retail stores.

I've done lemongrass, but it requires a little extra liquid to get it done (duh).

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, but my price out was for me buying from various sources single parts. I would think that bulk ordering the components could afford a serious discount on the per unit price.
Possible, but the issue is usually guaranteeing sufficient volume to make things like the casing cost-efficient (thus kickstarter). My point is just that $200 is as low as this will likely go for a decent product barring one of the really big boys getting into the market.

I don't really understand why Cuisinart hasn't just made one yet.

(Also, lol @ everyone who bought the Nomiku)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 8, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

LTBS posted:

I'm thinking about pre-ordering this gadget: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seattlefoodgeek/sansaire-sous-vide-circulator-for-199

Sous Vide for $199 that actually circulates the water and doesn't take up much counter space!

And I'm out $199

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to figure out if that thing is tall enough to be useful in my tank. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a second IC around the house anyway.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm trying to figure out if that thing is tall enough to be useful in my tank. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a second IC around the house anyway.

You can use two in the same container to do double the volume and start cooking a dozen whole salmon s-v at once.

Or have one that you use exclusively for circulating butter that you can drop lobsters into.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You can use two in the same container to do double the volume and start cooking a dozen whole salmon s-v at once.

Or have one that you use exclusively for circulating butter that you can drop lobsters into.

I was thinking it would be nice to do steaks in one and veggies in the other at the same time. So I can justify it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Could I sv a whole rib roast with this thing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

From a safety standpoint, no. Would spend too much time in the danger zone due to the size of the cut.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I was thinking it would be nice to do steaks in one and veggies in the other at the same time. So I can justify it.

Yeah, that's true. Veggies are really easy cook-chill ahead of time and you can just reheat them in the meat bath too, but it's so much easier to just have both baths.

Doh004 posted:

If you want to make it rare, it has to be less than about 4" thick so that it gets up to temperature within 4 hours. (It can be bigger than 4" in the other dimensions, you could s-v a whole huge brisket, for example, because although it's huge, it's only a few inches in one of the dimension)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Sounds like I have a bunch of reading up to do while I wait for this to come on in. Any suggested book/online site with information? (aside from me, ya know, just googling)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

Sounds like I have a bunch of reading up to do while I wait for this to come on in. Any suggested book/online site with information? (aside from me, ya know, just googling)

Start here.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

From a safety standpoint, no. Would spend too much time in the danger zone due to the size of the cut.

This isn't entirely true. There's a handy chart in Modernist Cuisine that shows cooking time and temp and 7D reduction in bacteria.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This isn't entirely true. There's a handy chart in Modernist Cuisine that shows cooking time and temp and 7D reduction in bacteria.

Yeah, even the document he posted states the opposite of what he said.

AAAND I'll just leave this here:

The gently caress, if you pull at 135, carryover will get you to 142, which is hardly mid-rare.

USDA temps/guidelines suck, use these, they account for average carryover:

Black and blue: Sear it, don't go over 100F
rare: pull at 108
mid-rare: pull at 118
medium: pull at 131
mid-well: pull at 143
well: gently caress you, you killed it.

Just as an anecdotal statement, I've been eating chicken breast at 140F for years, and have never had food poisoning. Pull it, rest it for ~4 mins, and you're fine.

sure, literally.

http://i.imgur.com/5LUTkXC.jpg

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 8, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I'm in the market for a stand mixer, and was wondering if anyone has experience getting Refurbished things from Overstock.com. I'm looking at a KitchenAid Pro 600 for $280, where the brand new one is $400. The difference in price is my new food processor and maybe a nice dinner out, so I'm a little torn.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The carryover stuff doesn't apply to sous vide cooking. With no temp differential, there is no carryover.

Also, the chart in the PDF shows that with thicker cuts, the internal temp won't get to 130 in under 4 hours. Which going strictly by the accepted food safety rules, is too long in the danger zone.

I'm not saying it will kill you, but it is outside of accepted safety parameters.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

And I'm out $199

Same. Never done sous vide before. Is there a good vacuum sealer or whatever else I'll need available somewhere?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

novamute posted:

Same. Never done sous vide before. Is there a good vacuum sealer or whatever else I'll need available somewhere?

Based on posts from several people it seems any old cheap vacuum sealer should do, they either work or they don't

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Basically, a "good" vacuum sealer is a chamber vacuum sealer and will cost you around $1000. So given that something decent isn't really an option, the terrible ones are all pretty equally terrible. Although people generally seem to hate their Rivals a little less than their Foodsavers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You can get pretty far with just ziplocs, too. Unless you get a chamber sealer, you won't be able to really really get all the air out anyway, and you wont be able to use a foodsaver-type sealer anyway with projects that involve modest to large quantities of liquids.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

morcant posted:

I'm in the market for a stand mixer, and was wondering if anyone has experience getting Refurbished things from Overstock.com. I'm looking at a KitchenAid Pro 600 for $280, where the brand new one is $400. The difference in price is my new food processor and maybe a nice dinner out, so I'm a little torn.

I bought a refurb KitchenAid mixer about 7 years ago from Amazon and haven't had any problems. I don't use mine that often, maybe once every few months, but it's held up well and looks brand new.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

mod sassinator posted:

I bought a refurb KitchenAid mixer about 7 years ago from Amazon and haven't had any problems. I don't use mine that often, maybe once every few months, but it's held up well and looks brand new.

Awesome, thanks. The reviews on the site are pretty glowing as well - with the exception of one dude who was pissy it didn't include a pouring shield. I could get that for $23 on Amazon if I cared, which I'm not sure that I do. I'm actually going to have some fridge space once I move next week, so I want to make bread dough, and my boyfriend wants to mash potatoes. And for $253 shipped... I think I'll take the plunge and see what a refurbished $400 mixer gets me.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Also, the chart in the PDF shows that with thicker cuts, the internal temp won't get to 130 in under 4 hours. Which going strictly by the accepted food safety rules, is too long in the danger zone.

I'm not saying it will kill you, but it is outside of accepted safety parameters.

Taking 4 hours to reach 130 doesn't say anything about the time it stays in the danger zone if you start from cold storage. Science is needed.

e: also Science and Governments disagree on the "danger zone" 140 F, really?

Heston Blumenthal cooks rib roast 24 hours at 125. :img-archer-dangerzone:

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 8, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The FDA was presented with research that showed chicken could be cooked at lower temperatures. They chose not to integrate it because "consumers prefer well done chicken." They just recently said medium pork was okay, despite it actually being just drat fine for at least the past 10 years.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The FDA was presented with research that showed chicken could be cooked at lower temperatures. They chose not to integrate it because "consumers prefer well done chicken."
I'd love a reference on this.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

novamute posted:

Buy a Foodsaver from Costco so that when the motor burns out they'll give you a new one.

edit: when not if

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

I'd love a reference on this.

It's in Modernist, in the food safety chapter. I'll look it up later.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You have convinced me my life needs 2 different tepid puddle machines. Also this thing looks a lot sexier than my DIY setup. Kickstarter backed.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

It's in Modernist, in the food safety chapter. I'll look it up later.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I usually brine my chicken so it can go up to 170ish and still be moist. I do this more out of laziness since it's usually a pain to get a big, lumpy breast to cook evenly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Well, that's at best a kinda misleading characterisation of the paper in question (which you can find here (pdf on usda.gov)). The bit quoted is from the introduction, but in the body of the paper it makes clear that they considered a bunch of different criteria and ended up recommending a single number for consumers because...well, I'll just quote:
[quote="Response to the Questions Posed by the Food Safety and
Inspection Service Regarding Consumer Guidelines for the Safe
Cooking of Poultry Products, Section III.4"]
4. What is the single time-temperature combination for each type of poultry (see question 2 above) for consumers to use to ensure safe cooked poultry?
Because of reasons cited earlier, it would be difficult to develop a comprehensive list of poultry product types. Therefore, as noted in question 2 above, for consumers, the recommended minimum internal temperature of any poultry product is 165F (74C) with no required hold time. This single temperature for consumers provides an adequate safety margin to ensure that the poultry product is microbiologically safe. However, higher final temperatures may be needed for consumer acceptability and palatability (e.g., 170F for whole muscle breast meat and 180F for whole muscle thigh meat in order to eliminate the pink appearance and rubbery texture). The Committee recommends that the FSIS continue to develop and distribute guidance for the consumer to explain temperatures that achieve perceived doneness versus those that achieve microbiological safety and why there is a distinction between the two. [...] For meat and poultry processors who operate within the hazard analysis and critical control point framework for ensuring safe food, a lower temperature than that recommended to consumers to deliver adequate lethality for an RTE product may be acceptable because of the additional control procedures.
[/quote]
I mean you can disagree with the standard---I do---but it's hardly just some bureaucrats trying to legislate taste, as Myhrvold tries to imply; they explicitly call for greater consumer education about the difference between safety and palatability.

So I call bullshit on that one.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
My parents just asked me for a coffee maker recommendation- they've been through 3 Mr Coffees since January (I don't know if it's the wiring in their house or if it's just cheap poo poo from China).

I'm not going to sell them on a Bodum or pour over or a nice espresso machine anytime soon, but they are buying coffee from a local roaster so it's not just for Maxwell House. Something under $100 would be ideal, with the main concern being quality of build.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Well, that's at best a kinda misleading characterisation of the paper in question (which you can find here (pdf on usda.gov)). The bit quoted is from the introduction, but in the body of the paper it makes clear that they considered a bunch of different criteria and ended up recommending a single number for consumers because...well, I'll just quote:

I mean you can disagree with the standard---I do---but it's hardly just some bureaucrats trying to legislate taste, as Myhrvold tries to imply; they explicitly call for greater consumer education about the difference between safety and palatability.

So I call bullshit on that one.

They may as well have just said "consumers are too dumb to understand these charts and graphs, and anything less than well done chicken is yucky, so we recommend all chicken be cooked to 170 or 180"

I'd say it's pretty irresponsible of the FDA/USDA to be given data that shows how safe low temp cooking is, when done properly, and not even acknowledge it in the slightest. Like I said before, they've just recently got around to saying medium pork was okay.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

My parents just asked me for a coffee maker recommendation- they've been through 3 Mr Coffees since January (I don't know if it's the wiring in their house or if it's just cheap poo poo from China).

I'm not going to sell them on a Bodum or pour over or a nice espresso machine anytime soon, but they are buying coffee from a local roaster so it's not just for Maxwell House. Something under $100 would be ideal, with the main concern being quality of build.

For a classic drip machine, these are pretty good (at least the ones I've tried here in euroland): http://www.moccamaster.com/us/

But why not a Bodum french press? It's not like it's hugely intimidating to have to press a plunger after a few minutes. And if the issue is one of lovely electrics, well, they can just boil their water on the stove.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Dane posted:

For a classic drip machine, these are pretty good (at least the ones I've tried here in euroland): http://www.moccamaster.com/us/

But why not a Bodum french press? It's not like it's hugely intimidating to have to press a plunger after a few minutes. And if the issue is one of lovely electrics, well, they can just boil their water on the stove.

My parents are 70 years old and like things as fast and easy as possible, otherwise I would recommend a Bodum in a heartbeat. Also I do know that the Mochca Master is considered the best of the best, but they don't want/need a $300 coffee maker.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bonavita BV1800TH http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1800TH-Coffee-Thermal-Carafe/dp/B005YQZNO8

Behmor Brazen http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/behmor-brazen-coffee-brewer

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Brazen had me at "To start, program in your elevation."

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

My parents are 70 years old and like things as fast and easy as possible, otherwise I would recommend a Bodum in a heartbeat. Also I do know that the Mochca Master is considered the best of the best, but they don't want/need a $300 coffee maker.

Friend of mine has one of these, and loves it: http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-46894-10-Cup-Thermal-Coffeemaker/dp/B005L3NIRS/

Puppy drinks obscene amounts of coffee in a day (he goes through a pound of whole beans in a week), so I got him the fancy French Press, and an electric kettle. He can wake up, fill kettle, set it to boil, grind beans, dump beans into press, and then pour the boiling water over top of the ground coffee in his sleep. However, I do have friends who prefer to set the timer before going to bed, so that when they wake up, a fresh pot of coffee is ready and waiting. The neat thing about this coffeemaker is that it keeps the coffee hot without having it sitting on a heating element, and it actually pours out of the carafe into your coffee mug without making a mess.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Brazen had me at "To start, program in your elevation."

How do they think they can market a coffee maker without an altimeter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

They may as well have just said "consumers are too dumb to understand these charts and graphs, and anything less than well done chicken is yucky, so we recommend all chicken be cooked to 170 or 180"

I'd say it's pretty irresponsible of the FDA/USDA to be given data that shows how safe low temp cooking is, when done properly, and not even acknowledge it in the slightest. Like I said before, they've just recently got around to saying medium pork was okay.
Well that's a completely separate issue. The claim Myhrvold makes, and which you repeated in slightly different form, is that the FSIS number is `based not on science but on politics, tradition, and subjective judgement'. This (and the rest of his comments on the subject) is at best a mischaracterisation of the content of the paper and actually looks like a deliberate misreading to support Myhrvold's sense of outrage. Which is to say it is an argument based not on science but on politics---the exact thing to which his apparent outrage is directed.

I'm not even going to try to wade into the subject further. Food safety agencies have a mandate to protect public health, not to promote the good news of modernist cuisine, and if they're like most government agencies they're required to write documents at a level that can be easily understood by the average 11 year old. I think the kind of standards we get reflect that, but that's really a separate subject. I agree that the standards are too conservative, but that doesn't justify making poo poo up about the guidelines or the agencies that publish them.

• Locked thread