Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I really tried to love SaGa frontier but the level design is just horrible and the story make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I can't speak for Frontier 1 because I played like ten minutes of Riki's story and said gently caress this poo poo, but Frontier 2 is pretty okay until you get to the parts that are literally unfair, overly-reliant on the RNG, and take dozens of retries even if you're doing everything you're supposed to perfectly.

I'd say a good place to jump in would be Minstrel Song, honestly. It's fairly opaque, but still generally fair unless you hit a bug like the previous poster did. You definitely should use a walkthrough, but it won't gently caress you to death with the RNG like every other SaGa title in existence.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What White Dragon is saying is that SF2 is great until the last 2 scenarios, one of which is the most bullshit war battle of the game and the other of which is a dungeon with a huge difficulty spike if you didn't start preparing when you switched to your last protagonist. Basically, keep a save at Ginny's departure in case you gently caress something up. I think there might be a way to still have a chance to grind and get good gear while saving past Battle of South Moundtop (the worst scenario by miles) but I can't remember the sequence you have to do to get it.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Has anybody here played Theresia? I'm eyeing a copy locally and wonder if it's worth the pickup. Thanks

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Basically, keep a save at Ginny's departure in case you gently caress something up. I think there might be a way to still have a chance to grind and get good gear while saving past Battle of South Moundtop (the worst scenario by miles) but I can't remember the sequence you have to do to get it.
Yeah, you really have to keep an old save so you can go to Hahn Nova to buy Dead Stones. Thanks, final boss that does LP damage.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Kild posted:

I've not bought anything not even an Inn between the two.

Is Hawke your main character? Did you get the Ancient Scroll after completing Free the Gecklings? When Hawke is your main, the Geckling charges 10000G for the scroll.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Started up Suikoden again tonight, and I guess I forgot just how utterly mincing Gremio is, but WOW.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Vittles posted:

Is Hawke your main character? Did you get the Ancient Scroll after completing Free the Gecklings? When Hawke is your main, the Geckling charges 10000G for the scroll.

O that explains that thanks!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Wendell posted:

Started up Suikoden again tonight, and I guess I forgot just how utterly mincing Gremio is, but WOW.

I love Suikoden, and no matter how many times I've played through the game, I'll never not get sick of Gremio being overly attached.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of SaGa games and their hatred for humanity, what's a good entry point for the series? SaGa Frontier? And are there any good translation patches for Romancing SaGa 2 or 3? I remember trying a "complete" translation of one or the other that apparently meant "you can completely read the menus, but gently caress you and your dialogue."

Romancing SaGa 3 has a complete translation patch out there, though it gets a bit janky at times.

Also the game was rushed and it shows.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Srice posted:

Romancing SaGa 3 has a complete translation patch out there, though it gets a bit janky at times.

Also the game was rushed and it shows.

A bit janky? That translation is less coherent than Wild Arms 2 and more ghetto than a bong made out of a soda can.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

juicecube posted:

Has anybody here played Theresia? I'm eyeing a copy locally and wonder if it's worth the pickup. Thanks

I've heard it's pretty mediocre as far as horror/mystery games go. You'd be better off getting 999 if you want a good digital novel mystery game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of SaGa games and their hatred for humanity, what's a good entry point for the series? SaGa Frontier? And are there any good translation patches for Romancing SaGa 2 or 3? I remember trying a "complete" translation of one or the other that apparently meant "you can completely read the menus, but gently caress you and your dialogue."

I can personally attest that both SaGa Frontier games are terrible starting points for new players- a guide can help you through the worst of SaGa Frontier 1 but I'd still be wary saying it's a good point to jump in. (If you do, starter advice- pick Red or Amelia first, don't even consider doing Blue or Lute until you think you have a good grasp of the game since their quests are very free form in a game where there is very little structure to begin with)

SaGa Frontier 2... yeah, it just kinda walks itself off the cliff at the last third or so. It's not even the fun kind of challenging, but the kind that asks you if you've done the right kind of grinding and makes you want to keep multiple saves to avoid Point of No Return screwjobs.

I'm gonna say, honestly, go ahead and start with Final Fantasy Legend 2 or 3. Those are pretty benign as far as SaGa games go (FFL2 is actually pretty easy, 3 has a couple brick walls) and while they won't introduce you to ALL of the series myriad mechanics, it'll give you a taste of what you're walking into without putting you into situations where you will feel like you're trying to chisel a statue out of a marble with a two blunt rocks, something pretty much the rest of the series is prone to doing. SaGa is practically synonymous with 'Unexplained Game-Critical Mechanics.'

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Isn't 3 the one which uses a normal xp-to-level deal and thus would seem to be not very much like the rest of the SaGa game?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm reading mixed reviews about Breath of Fire III on PSP, which I'm picking up cheap on ebay in my quest to gather up every decent RPG on the system ever.

Do we have any big BOF series fans here? Are the games considered very middle of the road, and is BOF III skippable, or a decent means to while away 25-35 hours?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If you bought it why would you skip it? It's a perfectly nice game, my favourite in the series. And yes, as you have figured out the Breath of Fire games are all rather middling.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

No I'm still in the bidding stage with more than a day left - have not bought it yet. If I pick it up for under £5 I'll be more than happy - if it starts to get a bit pricier I'd probably rather use the money on Valkyrie Profile Lenneth or perhaps one of the PSP Star Ocean games, because I've never played either of these series before.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty middle of the road. It has its fair share of neat things, and a lot of things that are just straight up painful. A lot of the dungeons in particular are really painful slogs.

As far as the PS1-era glut of RPGs go, BoF3 was a little ahead of the average though.

And Bof3 is perfectly skippable if you want to play BoF4, which is pretty much the best Breath of Fire game by a long shot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm reading mixed reviews about Breath of Fire III on PSP, which I'm picking up cheap on ebay in my quest to gather up every decent RPG on the system ever.

Do we have any big BOF series fans here? Are the games considered very middle of the road, and is BOF III skippable, or a decent means to while away 25-35 hours?

BOF III is perfectly serviceable fun and will definitely be a better choice than many others on the PSP. Is BOF IV on the system? That one is a very serviceable bordering on quite fun. I mean, so few JRPGs let you choose to join the villains plot and become an omnipotent god and proceed to oneshot your former party memembers.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Rascyc posted:

Pretty middle of the road. It has its fair share of neat things, and a lot of things that are just straight up painful. A lot of the dungeons in particular are really painful slogs.

As far as the PS1-era glut of RPGs go, BoF3 was a little ahead of the average though.

Beautiful spritework. Still looks good today, although I much prefer the route they took with Breath of Fire 4.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

BoF4 was never on PSP, though - only on the original Playstation, right?
I'll see if it is available via PSN in the UK.

EDIT: drat, looks like it is only BOF3, and Dragon Quarter, which I already own. I think you need to be in the US to get BoF4 on PSP :(

Looks like The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is on there. That worth a go?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 8, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Breath of Fire III probably has the best dragon transformation system in the whole series. The plot isn't necessarily anything to write home about, but it's wrapped up in a pretty fun game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks - I'll see if I can get it for cheap. In other news, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together looks amazing. I just don't think I'll be able to buy it for very cheap. Given that the game is only 2 and a half years old and got very high scores in the reviews, this might actually be worth it at a higher price point. I can get the PSP Essentials version for like £10, or the Premium for £15-20. Anyone know if the Essentials version has a scaled-down/crappy manual? If not, and I won't be at a disadvantage when playing the game, then I might just grab it.

vvv Thanks, I'll try pick up both games even if it means foregoing BOF3.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 8, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Looks like The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is on there. That worth a go?

Trails in the Sky is great, and based on some of your posts in this thread I think you'd like it. It does start fairly slow though.

Tactics Ogre is also great.

Dec 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

Isn't 3 the one which uses a normal xp-to-level deal and thus would seem to be not very much like the rest of the SaGa game?

Yeah, that one's a pretty poor entry to the series. 2's a relatively good one, though, if a bit dated.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This talk of Breath of Fire makes me wish GOG got the rights to publish the PC version of BoF IV. Won't happen though because it's Capcom.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

FF Tactics is super cheap on PSN, but comes with the warning:

"This product is a digital version of a disc-based PSP™ title. Some functionality may vary from the original PSP™ version of this product or may not be available."

is that some standard disclaimer, or does it actually lack some of the original UMD content?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

FF Tactics is super cheap on PSN, but comes with the warning:

"This product is a digital version of a disc-based PSP™ title. Some functionality may vary from the original PSP™ version of this product or may not be available."

is that some standard disclaimer, or does it actually lack some of the original UMD content?

I don't think there is any variance between the disc version and the PSN version but do be aware the PSP version of FFTactics is by far the worst version due to completely unecessary but constant slowdown.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

BoF4 was never on PSP, though - only on the original Playstation, right?
I'll see if it is available via PSN in the UK.

EDIT: drat, looks like it is only BOF3, and Dragon Quarter, which I already own. I think you need to be in the US to get BoF4 on PSP :(

Seconding Cake Attack and saying Trails in the Sky is a drat fun game. There's a good screenshot LP running in the subforum if you want to check that out before buying it.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This talk of Breath of Fire makes me wish GOG got the rights to publish the PC version of BoF IV. Won't happen though because it's Capcom.

The PC version's also buggy as hell, so they'd need to rebuild it to get it to the level of something playable. And they really should, because it's a great game (and a personal favourite).

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Rascyc posted:

And Bof3 is perfectly skippable if you want to play BoF4, which is pretty much the best Breath of Fire game by a long shot.

You spelled Dragon Quarter wrong.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I just don't understand the love for Breath of Fire 4. I can't stand the endless monotonous minigames, seemingly in place of actually interesting events and characterizations. There's also the truly horrible camera angle, which would be fine if the areas weren't so confined. The developers realized this and designed the first town around it, but not in a way that mitigates anything instead opting to exacerbate the problem, turning the town into an unnavigable maze.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

juicecube posted:

It's a game that's deliberately made miserable and painful to play to put you in the shoes of the main character. Whatever your feelings on that are should give you an answer.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Wendell posted:

I just don't understand the love for Breath of Fire 4. I can't stand the endless monotonous minigames, seemingly in place of actually interesting events and characterizations. There's also the truly horrible camera angle, which would be fine if the areas weren't so confined. The developers realized this and designed the first town around it, but not in a way that mitigates anything instead opting to exacerbate the problem, turning the town into an unnavigable maze.

I dunno, I think the Breath of Fire games are all basically the same shade of competently made slightly above average JRPG (excepting Dragon Quarter, which is a different beast entirely and seems to almost completely hit or miss depending upon your preferences.) Even as someone who was a huge fan of the first three games growing up (I even wrote BoF fan fiction :suicide:) I only played through the fourth one once.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BoF4 suffers from some awful pacing problems, and yeah a lot of dumb minigames and such. But I love the combat system, and the characters are really great. Unfortunately it takes about the whole game before most of how great they are sets in. Pretty rough game but it's still my favorite of the traditional ones.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Crazy Larry posted:

You spelled Dragon Quarter wrong.

While I do think that Dragon Quarter is the best out of the series now, hoo boy, did I hate the poo poo out of that game when I first tried it, and I certainly can't blame BOF fans for hating it no matter how many tries they gave it. Weird anorexic-looking characters, limit on a dragon form, let alone the lack of real dragon transformations, grimdark story where most of it is left out unless you complete the game without sucking too much, and no real exploration and a very lame loot-ish system. It only really clicked after I had messed up two/three times and really started to pay attention to what worked and what didn't in the battle system. The music is pretty nice too.

It's still lame how a lot of the very interesting story and background segments are New Game + ranking unlocks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MechaX posted:

While I do think that Dragon Quarter is the best out of the series now, hoo boy, did I hate the poo poo out of that game when I first tried it, and I certainly can't blame BOF fans for hating it no matter how many tries they gave it. Weird anorexic-looking characters, limit on a dragon form, let alone the lack of real dragon transformations, grimdark story where most of it is left out unless you complete the game without sucking too much, and no real exploration and a very lame loot-ish system. It only really clicked after I had messed up two/three times and really started to pay attention to what worked and what didn't in the battle system. The music is pretty nice too.

It's still lame how a lot of the very interesting story and background segments are New Game + ranking unlocks.

I would have liked to see a Dragon Quarter 2, I think they could have absolutely nailed the gameplay they were going for with a second go-around. Sadly, it's likely we'll never see even a regular BoF again.

I still hum the boss theme from time to time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Coughing Hobo posted:

I still hum the boss theme from time to time.

Every RPG should have at least one boss theme by Hitoshi Sakimoto. Uh, even if his stuff does kinda start to sound the same after a while.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

MechaX posted:

Yeah, it took a while for it to click for me too. It's a shame that it was so poorly received. It had some pretty good gameplay concepts even if you decouple them from the ranking system, and the setting and general plot were a nice deviation from the generic JRPG fluff. It's a shame that Dragon Quarter basically killed off the series - for as cliche and just better than mediocre the other games were they were still competently designed and pretty easy to get into and play.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

This is how I feel about the game as well. That combined with polygonal enemies that look ugly even for the time, especially compared to BoF3 just makes BoF4 feel lacking. It does a couple cool things but I still think 3 is top of mountain for that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

BoFIV is worth it for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf9wP-XEKo4&feature=youtube_gdata_player