Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Taffer posted:

Pretty typical of direwolf to completely ignore the accomplishments of another mod though. Don't get me wrong Multipart looks amazing and does stuff we've never seen, but Immibis microblocks has allowed multiple things in a single block space for a long time. Not only multiple microblocks, but pipes/cables etc, but direwolf acted like that had never been done before.

That did stink a bit for me too. Immibis microblocks were a bit hackish, but they had to be really when you consider what the results were. They were more useful than rp2 microblocks when you had them configured correctly. Of course, since Immibis isn't part of the forgecraft best friends crew, he does't exist. I don't know why such a useful mod gets shafted for one that adds a load of lovely trees for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a waterbreathing potion, right? Or maybe I did do the helmet thing. I can't remember now.
According to the Minecraft wiki, there either was one, or there is one in the code, but it isn't implemented.

I've never worked with potion brewing before SkyDen, so I don't know.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Sirithil posted:

*groan* :negative:

Well, there goes my notion of using this in my current world.

Once it's ready I *may* attempt back-porting it, but no guarantees. I actually couldn't find a way to get an old version of the Forge developer package to work with the current Minecraft installer, and I didn't have a virgin 1.5 install lying around.

I think I got the last of the actual bugs fixed last night, which were mostly related to unusual configurations of emitters getting into slapfights when they shared a field between them in certain conditions. Now I'm trying to improve performance, as switching state on large groups of long range emitters is noticeably slow. Once I get that operating either to my satisfaction or I give up (take your pick), I'll put out the first public release. Probably in a day or two.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm having a weird problem with my Hexxit server, and it only seems to be happening to me and no one else. Whenever I'm around our base (a converted Better Dungeons sandstone mansion), my FPS drops down to 6-8 and won't recover until I get a good distance away from the place, and only stays high if I don't look at it. If I even so much as look at the mansion, my FPS drops to at least 11.

Does anyone know of any block in particular that might cause this issue? We don't have anything especially interesting in the mansion, just the usual stuff. We do use a lot of reinforced chests from Better Storage and a lot of Bibliocraft stuff, but like I said, it's not affecting anyone else really. In a tech mod I'd have some machines in mind I could blame initially but I really have no idea where to even begin diagnosing this in Hexxit.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
If anyone is looking for a place to play, we've got a private pack and server. It's kind of a high adventure with tech pack, either send me a PM or hit me up on steam http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055085731/

We've got room for 4-6 people.

Edit- It's no PvP, pretty chill group of people, sometimes there are events whenever we feel like it.

Abe Frohman fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 7, 2013

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Can you edit a Minecraft Forge created world (ie BiomesOPlenty, etc) with MCEdit?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

fondue posted:

Can you edit a Minecraft Forge created world (ie BiomesOPlenty, etc) with MCEdit?

You can! It may be difficult to tell what is what, though, since MCEdit won't understand the block types, but you can definitely do it. I had to do it a while back when I discovered a (now-fixed) bug with hoppers and Forestry carpenters.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, used to be that MCEdit wouldn't support the new range of block types, so editing a modded map with it would remove all blocks with an ID of above a certain type, but now that's fixed and you can modify it with ease.

Kroagnon
Jun 17, 2004
Kroagnon's SA Forum Account (Happy Birthday BIOTCH)

Twistershift posted:

Thanks for the help!
http://pastebin.com/FLfWqkWr

Actually looking at it now, I see that CS2 error. Is the fix an easy one?

I was the one Straw was referring to having this problem, we went through and did about a million things including manually installing that file and changing all the permissions. It finally ended up just being that Minecraft decided I needed to run it as an administrator. Worked fine since, but I still have to run it that way every time.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kroagnon posted:

I was the one Straw was referring to having this problem, we went through and did about a million things including manually installing that file and changing all the permissions. It finally ended up just being that Minecraft decided I needed to run it as an administrator. Worked fine since, but I still have to run it that way every time.

This is probably why

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

You can! It may be difficult to tell what is what, though, since MCEdit won't understand the block types, but you can definitely do it. I had to do it a while back when I discovered a (now-fixed) bug with hoppers and Forestry carpenters.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, used to be that MCEdit wouldn't support the new range of block types, so editing a modded map with it would remove all blocks with an ID of above a certain type, but now that's fixed and you can modify it with ease.

Thanks!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Oh, Vib Rib, at what point in the Skyden progression is it you get Mystcraft permissions? Is it past the boss fights?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Abe Frohman posted:

If anyone is looking for a place to play, we've got a private pack and server. It's kind of a high adventure with tech pack, either send me a PM or hit me up on steam http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055085731/

We've got room for 4-6 people.

Edit- It's no PvP, pretty chill group of people, sometimes there are events whenever we feel like it.

So far I have hidden from infernal mobs in my pink lake-house and collected an absurd variety of gems, as well as getting lost in a rift in time and space.

Fun times so far.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pidmon posted:

Oh, Vib Rib, at what point in the Skyden progression is it you get Mystcraft permissions? Is it past the boss fights?
Yeah, you probably don't have it yet. You'll definitely know it when you do.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Shukaro posted:

This is probably why

Wait a second.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Well guys,
:siren:Effector Fields R0.0.1 for Minecraft 1.5.2 released!:siren:
(Backporting wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be.)

Download here

Lightbridges!

Lava tunnels!

Space age homes with tiny farms!

Turn off your farm's fence! Why not?

Vaporize snow, leaves, and other things in 'nature' that stand in the way of progress!

Can it hold it?

Yes it can!

Disclaimer: that one block broken underneath was already that way

So how do you make this stuff?

Note: most recipes have mirrored or rotated versions as I hate forgetting the correct orientation for making a doohickey.

Meet neolazurite! A synthetic mineral made from lapis, gold, and redstone, with curious properties. However, this yields its polycrystalline form, which isn't very useful. Smelt it to get:

Monocrystalline monoclinic neolazurite. Just called 'monocrystal' for short. Monocrystal is capable of inducing fluctuations in the vacuum itself.

This is an effector manipulator. Right now it's just the usual rotator tool. More functions are planned though!

This is an empty resonator frame. Resonators will induce an effector field between themselves without external energy input. Effector fields aren't 'energy' fields in the usual sense, they're regions where space itself has taken on new properties. Currently, the only fields implemented are barrier fields, the traditional blue forcefield. Barrier fields are regions from which baryonic matter is excluded, in the Pauli sense.

This is the recipe for a basic invert barrier resonator. Barrier fields will vaporize common light obstacles (snow, leaves, grass, etc.), as well as water and lava. Otherwise, barriers cannot penetrate anything besides other barriers. The basic variety can induce a strength 2 field (equal to cobblestone) at 2 blocks' separation, or a strength 1 field (dirt) at 4. All resonators follow the same pattern of double strength at half distance.

"Invert" resonators are turned on by default; redstone toggles them off. "Plain" resonators are the opposite. You can re-craft each type by itself to switch to the other type, a la power converters producers / consumers.

To make higher tiers, you need to make a monocrystal armature:

The armature aligns 2 crystals in series and provides additional stabilization and control.

Craft it with a basic empty frame to get a "standard" resonator, with 4x the range of the basic model.

Below it is the recipe for an advanced resonator, which has 4x the range of the standard. The maximum range is 64 blocks at strength 1 / 32 at strength 2.

Try it out and let me know what you think! I've tested it pretty thoroughly and I think it's bug free and the performance seems fine, but let me know if you find otherwise. Give me any feedback on the behavior, feel, even the art style. I have ideas for other types of field and emitters pending. Free standing projectors, redstone conducting fields, maybe null gravity? We'll see!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, as long as at least one resonator in a pair is turned on, the field is active. You can mix and match inverts with regulars. You can mix tiers as well, but the field is only as strong as the weakest resonator can support.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 8, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
The whole thing looks pretty cool, just one suggest/request I have at the moment:

metasynthetic posted:

This is an effector manipulator. Right now it's just the usual rotator tool. More functions are planned though!
Please add Omniwrench and/or other Buildcraft-compatible wrench compatibility, if you haven't already. I appreciate needing your own tool for it, but if people use a modpack, it's far easier to be able to do as much as possible with the same tool.

Edit: Actually I do have one idea, if it's possible - a field that orients gravity towards itself within a certain range. (For instance, if you make the field as a wall, movable objects within X distance will "fall" towards it.) If you could include sand/gravel and the like as well, that would be really neat.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 8, 2013

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

m2pt5 posted:

The whole thing looks pretty cool, just one suggest/request I have at the moment:

Please add Omniwrench and/or other Buildcraft-compatible wrench compatibility, if you haven't already. I appreciate needing your own tool for it, but if people use a modpack, it's far easier to be able to do as much as possible with the same tool.

I plan to, I just, uh, don't know how yet. It may actually work already given how I coded it, let me see.

Edit: yup, already works with Omniwrench.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
Ok, add this to Toast now G7. I need it for my sky castle.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Uh, give me a call if you need any modelling done? I'd like a project to help out on :blush:

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

Well guys,
You wouldn't still be able to cook up a 1.6 release for this would you? I got really excited that I'd have something to play with when you stated it would be a 1.6 release.

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

Well guys,
Thank you thank you! :glomp:

Can't wait till after work so I can play with this. :allears:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Face Melter posted:

You wouldn't still be able to cook up a 1.6 release for this would you? I got really excited that I'd have something to play with when you stated it would be a 1.6 release.
Effector Fields R0.0.1 for Minecraft 1.6.2
Download here

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

How is motion defined for mobs in Minecraft? Is it stored in the model or is it in the code?

Nevermind, it's coded into the game.

fondue fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 8, 2013

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

Vanmani posted:

Ok, add this to Toast now G7. I need it for my sky castle.

ok ok ok, I am working on server lag reduction first! :P I will look into this with the other mods that are being considered and some clean up of borked mods.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I haven't done much modpack testing yet, but adding it to the latest version of Toast, you will get an error on first startup. Close it. After the config file is generated just set your starting block ID to 2340, delete the remaining block IDs and you should be good to go. It should work with Tekkit main out of the box.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

I haven't done much modpack testing yet, but adding it to the latest version of Toast, you will get an error on first startup. Close it. After the config file is generated just set your starting block ID to 2340, delete the remaining block IDs and you should be good to go. It should work with Tekkit main out of the box.

Thanks meta, I will play with it shortly :)

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
My kids want me to create a minecraft server on our LAN. The client updated itself to 1.6.2 and I just spent three wasted hours researching/downloading craftbukit worldedit and the client for it just to find out in the end none of it works with 1.6.2. Is there an easy mode for a mod like worldedit that will work in 1.6.2 and not take me another full day of reading to install?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Is there an easy way to pump up ore spawn rates in the latest version of Toast? I started using the platform on Big Dig and just cant go back to such tiny ore veins anymore.

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

Jaramin posted:

Is there an easy way to pump up ore spawn rates in the latest version of Toast? I started using the platform on Big Dig and just cant go back to such tiny ore veins anymore.

Go into your Big Dig config/cofh/ folder and grab world.cfg. Toss that into the same place in your Toast instance and you should be good to go.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Shadowmorn posted:

http://imgur.com/a/4fZyw

My laser drill might not be getting much use, but it was an excuse to make a silly looking sci-fi prop out of it.

And i love it. :haw:

Jesus. It's almost the exact same thing I did: http://imgur.com/MWUhO3j

My inspiration was the mining apparatus from the new Star Trek reboot, the first film.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear a massive redwood canopy relatively easily? I'm going to make a giant orbital fleet made out of the really huge/awesome redwoods from my galacticraft space station. So far I've found with the fuckoff huge (and beautiful) redwoods that the MFR harvester doesn't recognize them (makes sense) and I only need so many leaf blocks for easy air generation.

Edit: never mind. The scythe from the Tinkers Construct works wonders.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

Artifice sickles and the MPS leaf blower work as well.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear a massive redwood canopy relatively easily? I'm going to make a giant orbital fleet made out of the really huge/awesome redwoods from my galacticraft space station. So far I've found with the fuckoff huge (and beautiful) redwoods that the MFR harvester doesn't recognize them (makes sense) and I only need so many leaf blocks for easy air generation.

Fire?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm working in space, things don't catch on fire very well. By the way, redwoods do grow quite well on the moon and in orbit, just takes forever.

Harvesting went a lot quicker when I realized that I could just harvest the wood and let the leaves decay. Ended up with 3-4 stacks of saplings without trying.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

I haven't done much modpack testing yet, but adding it to the latest version of Toast.....

It is now in a test build of Toast and working so thanks for that, it is a really cool mod! Will push a new pack out with it soon, still lag hunting at the moment (Server Lag) which is time consuming and a real pain.

Server is getting a lot of lag. Memory usage builds and builds then GC kicks in and it slopes off rapidly. People report lag spikes every 30 seconds or so. Finding the issue is a dam pain though.

Java profiling is a little help and we have some tweaked launch params thanks to other goon mc server people and I think that is helping a bit.

code:
-XX:MaxPermSize=1536M -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled \
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=25 -XX:GCTimeRatio=64 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC \
-XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow \
-Xms7G -Xmx9G -server -jar mcpc.jar
But if anyone can think of anything that would help narrow down the mod(s) any help would be gratefully received. More info in the PGS thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552286&pagenumber=16#lastpost

CultusImperialis
Jun 2, 2011

GhostSeven posted:

It is now in a test build of Toast and working so thanks for that, it is a really cool mod! Will push a new pack out with it soon, still lag hunting at the moment (Server Lag) which is time consuming and a real pain.

Server is getting a lot of lag. Memory usage builds and builds then GC kicks in and it slopes off rapidly. People report lag spikes every 30 seconds or so. Finding the issue is a dam pain though.

Java profiling is a little help and we have some tweaked launch params thanks to other goon mc server people and I think that is helping a bit.

code:
-XX:MaxPermSize=1536M -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled \
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=25 -XX:GCTimeRatio=64 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC \
-XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow \
-Xms7G -Xmx9G -server -jar mcpc.jar
But if anyone can think of anything that would help narrow down the mod(s) any help would be gratefully received. More info in the PGS thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552286&pagenumber=16#lastpost

Ghost, check the PGS thread, I think I've found the issue.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

CultusImperialis posted:

Ghost, check the PGS thread, I think I've found the issue.

Thanks Cultus :)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:stare: They are adapting. :ohdear:

Seriously, whats causing this kind of doom stack? Glad i have a railgun because that combos just nasty if all you had was melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
You think that's bad, try custom spawners spitting out skeletons riding creepers riding cave spiders.

• Locked thread