Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DStecks posted:

"It's Everquest, but you can do, like, just loving everything in it you guys".

So the design doc for Everquest Next, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

DStecks posted:

I had always wondered what happened to HATE TROLL TIM; apparently he's been permabanned for some SA-Mart shenanigans. :smith:

Fake edit for content: It's impossible to understate the degree to which the Realms of Creation kickstarter sounds like a guy typing stream-of-consciousness about his dumbass game ideas.

I did not edit that, or cherrypick statements. Those 3 sentences follow each other in exactly that order.

Tell me that isn't just a guy spewing features as he goes. You'd think after 15 loving years he would have a cohesive vision of the game, but I guess that's hard when the design document consists entirely of the sentence "It's Everquest, but you can do, like, just loving everything in it you guys".

This reminds me of shortly after high school when these two guys I knew kept thinking they were making the best game idea ever and refused to show anybody else because they were certain people would steal it. This guy is how old, though?

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.

DStecks posted:

"This game will be coming out on Facebook, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PC, Mac, Linux, and all App Stores. All of these systems will transfer all information.”

I don't particularly like Penny Arcade much anymore, but they nailed it with their first Kickstarter strip. This is a classic John Videogames there.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

I think it's time to check the 'recently launched' section :toot:

Blood Child.
Okay, another lovely vampire romance. I guess if Twilight can do it... eugh. Love the promotional selfie there, though. Totally professional.

A War of Kings.
More playing cards, with a fantasy theme this time. They look kinda neat, I suppose. I'm pretty sure it's been done before, but the guy has at least some sort of plan and ambition for it.

Enspira Online.
A 'non-violent, kid-safe MMO adventure game for all ages'. They want to make an MMO for 18 grand? He apparently has some experience, but the hardware and bandwidth costs for servers will probably eat that cash quick.

How to make a video game
Oh boy, let's encourage people to make crap games for mobile and OUYA! (right)

bubicorn!
I... what the gently caress?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

quote:

"This game will be coming out on Facebook, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PC, Mac, Linux, and all App Stores. All of these systems will transfer all information.”

John Videogames posted:

I don't particularly like Penny Arcade much anymore, but they nailed it with their first Kickstarter strip. This is a classic John Videogames there.
Haha, yeah, that's ridiculous. Luckily nobody would ever actually give money to an indie project that promised so many platforms.

Oh wait...

Ah yes, the hugely scoped hand-painted action-rpg game with a team of 9 and a budget of $242k, coming soon to PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya, Android, iOS, Linux, PS3, Wii U, and 360.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Orzo posted:

Haha, yeah, that's ridiculous. Luckily nobody would ever actually give money to an indie project that promised so many platforms.

Oh wait...

Ah yes, the hugely scoped hand-painted action-rpg game with a team of 9 and a budget of $242k, coming soon to PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya, Android, iOS, Linux, PS3, Wii U, and 360.

Next to Realms of Creation, that game looks like... something really, really legit. :colbert:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Elissia posted:

bubicorn!

It's pretty self-explanatory, man. Boobs. Unicorn. Bubicorn. I would be absolutely shocked if Bubicorn's invention didn't involve drugs. Quick. Someone put floppy dicks on a pegasus and try to compete for the same donor dollars.

Isn't Burning Man going on right now? If so, thank god. Then it'll be another 11 months before kickstarter gets loaded down with that crap again. It's not that I hate art. I just hate art that's obviously by people who have been forever surrounded by friends and relatives blatantly lying to their faces about how great of artists they are.

I'm sorry. I'm bitter. I'm sad that there's not a big festival for science nerds in the middle of the desert. We wouldn't even give a poo poo about the heat, because everyone would be wearing home-made cooling suits made from copper tubing and lego mindstorms. Instead of a burning man, there would be a giant neon Carl Sagan pointing to the stars and people would ceremonially walk up to Carl every night and charge their electronics devices.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Noni posted:

I'm sorry. I'm bitter. I'm sad that there's not a big festival for science nerds in the middle of the desert. We wouldn't even give a poo poo about the heat, because everyone would be wearing home-made cooling suits made from copper tubing and lego mindstorms. Instead of a burning man, there would be a giant neon Carl Sagan pointing to the stars and people would ceremonially walk up to Carl every night and charge their electronics devices.

Please be our prophet and lead us into the desert.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Noni posted:

You have your vision. Now start your kickstarter.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmm yes a festival for people obsessed with technology in a place that has none of it and few ways to use it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mmmm yes a festival for people obsessed with technology in a place that has none of it and few ways to use it.
It would work for the same reason that the original did. Drugs. Lots of them.

Giant neon Carl Sagan would approve.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

theflyingexecutive posted:

But that's pretty much Burning Man already, with the drones and the 3D printers and the genome laser show and the solar-powered blenders and all the light-up doohickeys and geodesic what-nots. It's where hippies and techies find their common ground of tripping balls and getting naked.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Aug 9, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DStecks posted:

I had always wondered what happened to HATE TROLL TIM; apparently he's been permabanned for some SA-Mart shenanigans. :smith:

Goddamn it Tim. :smith:

Edit: http://timb.us Well if that isn't just the gooniest looking motherfucker....

Elissia posted:

bubicorn!

:haw: :haw: :haw: :haw: :haw: :haw: :haw: :haw:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Harry "fat neckbearded ginger babyman compared Blade 2 to cunnilingus how is this man still relevant" Knowles wants $100,000 to make an internet movie review series.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Noni posted:

I am going to print this out and hang it next to my picture of Tommy Chong in my smoking corner. This is so beautiful it hurts.

JossiRossi posted:

Please be our prophet and lead us into the desert.

And we sayeth, Amen.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You have your vision. Now start your kickstarter.

And we sayeth, Amen.

Guavanaut posted:

Giant neon Carl Sagan would approve.

We ask this in Sagans' name, Amen.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Goddamn it Tim. :smith:

Edit: http://timb.us Well if that isn't just the gooniest looking motherfucker....

He also went full-on obsessed with Lore and eventually came off like a stalking creep. No shocker there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Beeswax posted:

He also went full-on obsessed with Lore and eventually came off like a stalking creep. No shocker there.

I admit, I too put a little too much effort in confronting the Lore guy about how irrational he was being, but he may have put quite a bit more time into his efforts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Harry "fat neckbearded ginger babyman compared Blade 2 to cunnilingus how is this man still relevant" Knowles wants $100,000 to make an internet movie review series.

Ugh, he's probably gonna get his funding too.

Now now Alan Smithee you have to stop hating on Kickstarters that seemingly ask for more money than is required for base overhead, some of that money is going to good use such as merchandise and other such fan outreach like-

gently caress everything :negative:

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw, he mentioned in the Lore comments that he'd been a top level student before he got an acquired brain injury. The comment section on the KS page had thousands of comments and he replied to a bunch of them. He even changed a few elements of the pitch in response and created an in-game character called Hate Troll Tim in response to a goon's repeated comments. An admin then changed that goon's SA username changed to HATE TROLL TIM. :v:

Geez, that's kinda sad. I haven't felt this bad about laughing at something on the internet since Merrill Howard Kalin's cooking show.

Noni posted:

It's pretty self-explanatory, man. Boobs. Unicorn. Bubicorn. I would be absolutely shocked if Bubicorn's invention didn't involve drugs. Quick. Someone put floppy dicks on a pegasus and try to compete for the same donor dollars.

Isn't Burning Man going on right now? If so, thank god. Then it'll be another 11 months before kickstarter gets loaded down with that crap again. It's not that I hate art. I just hate art that's obviously by people who have been forever surrounded by friends and relatives blatantly lying to their faces about how great of artists they are.

Pegasus? More like Dickasus am I right folks?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

opaopa13 posted:

For $50,000, everyone has to work for free on their own time. On an MMORPG. But for $60,000, everyone can work full-time on the game! In a comment, he mentions at least four employees. Assuming two years of development, that means everyone's bringing home a fat $1,000/year salary.

:stonk:
I want to know what suckers this guy roped in. I made like 35k doing my internship. INTERN. I can't imagine being there for the company meeting where my neckbeard boss is saying, "Okay, everybody! We've got $50,000 in crowdfunded venture capital! That's all the money. Not a penny of it will be used for payroll. You guys can still get student loans, right?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

:stonk:
I want to know what suckers this guy roped in. I made like 35k doing my internship. INTERN. I can't imagine being there for the company meeting where my neckbeard boss is saying, "Okay, everybody! We've got $50,000 in crowdfunded venture capital! That's all the money. Not a penny of it will be used for payroll. You guys can still get student loans, right?"

You see it more often than you should (especially since Kickstarter should probably be vetting their submissions for unreasonable/exploitative poo poo like this- though I guess the argument generally is either "many Kickstarter pitches seek to gain only a portion of the necessary funding for the completion of a project because they have other investment sources/if they tried to get everything they'd risk not making goal so we're assuming there's more somewhere" or "maybe he just found some collaborators who are really passionate about the project").

It's the intersection of "idea people" not having a drat clue about what they're doing and a general undervaluing of the arts/creative work that exists in society.

Talk to any designer/artist/photographer/creative professional and they'll have at least a few stories of lovely clients who seemed to think that there was no problem with trying to pay a pittance for something because "it's just drawings/music/etc.- you're basically just doing your hobby. Never mind that you sank 36 hours of labor into it."

The sad thing is that the recent economic issues have made it acceptable for established firms that should know better to do it too- even now that the economy's been improving. I live in Boston and have several art grad friends in the area, and it's really depressing to see them shoulder their student loans and try to get a footing in an industry that has decided that 60-hour work weeks with 1-3 year turnovers for "unpaid internship" are now fair game.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Ugh, he's probably gonna get his funding too.

Now now Alan Smithee you have to stop hating on Kickstarters that seemingly ask for more money than is required for base overhead, some of that money is going to good use such as merchandise and other such fan outreach like-

gently caress everything :negative:

"Well treated PA" is a phrase that reads to me like "we don't physically hit you, and we only start yelling if you don't do what we want within two seconds of us asking"

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!

Just so nobody else gets their hopes up for the project based on that image: there's no mention of Joseph Gordon-Levitt hosting the whole show via crystal ball. Not even as a stretch goal.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

QwertyAsher posted:

"Well treated PA" is a phrase that reads to me like "we don't physically hit you, and we only start yelling if you don't do what we want within two seconds of us asking"

Wait, wait, wait. They want people to pay 200$ to fly their asses out to wherever the hell they film, secure lodging, and do labor for them?

What the loving christ.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

mks5000 posted:

Wait, wait, wait. They want people to pay 200$ to fly their asses out to wherever the hell they film, secure lodging, and do labor for them?

What the loving christ.

It's most likely the reward of someone who has no experience, and thinks PAs are overall useless.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

So the design doc for Everquest Next, then?

Nah, he's still more grounded in reality than EQ Next. Or at least the EQ Next the MMOHMO thread has hyped themselves up to expect.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The PA thing sounds more like "you can come hang out on set and eat with us and we'll give you a phony credit on IMDB" than "you have to come here and work."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118525365/fund-giant-snowman-in-nyc-versus-global-warming?ref=live (slightly :nws:)

$3000 to build a snowman in New York in August. How has this guy gone 40 days into a 50 day campaign without receiving a single penny in support?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jedit posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118525365/fund-giant-snowman-in-nyc-versus-global-warming?ref=live (slightly :nws:)

$3000 to build a snowman in New York in August. How has this guy gone 40 days into a 50 day campaign without receiving a single penny in support?

It doesn't help that his video does a poo poo job of explaining what he does, who he is, or what his experience is. I mean, if my work had been on Anderson Cooper like his description says then that's like one of the first things I'd talk about.

TheJoker138 posted:

The PA thing sounds more like "you can come hang out on set and eat with us and we'll give you a phony credit on IMDB" than "you have to come here and work."

Yeah, it's funny how so many media Kickstarter projects seem to feature "be a PA" as one of the reward tiers. It's undoubtedly inspired by similar sweepstakes that TV shows/record labels/athletic teams used to do more often (most recently I remember seeing one to "be Psy's 'assistant' for a weekend" where you got to ride around in a limo and go for a shopping spree or something like that). The thing is, those are contests with money behind them, and they're really all-expense-paid trips and backstage passes/celebrity meet-n-greets dressed up as "be our employee *wink* for a week." Nobody's actually doing any labor beyond maybe getting to wear a headset and stand behind a camera for a photo.

Why anybody would want to pay extra for "come crash on a mattress in my apartment/suburban house (or not- gonna have to find your own lodgings and transport) and watch us cobble together our struggling indie project" is beyond me.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Aug 9, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Edit: double post, my bad.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jedit posted:

quote:

This fund will help me get to NYC and build a 15 foot Snowman in Times Square New York City which will be garbed in a giant native headdress, peace pipe and native American.

So he's going to make a snowman of a Native American stereotype wearing a Native American? :aaaaa:

quote:

This is Celebrity Snowman!

It's everyone's favorite celebrity: Native American! :downs:

quote:

A real native American, my Sister, will be dressed in a Pocahontas bikini and will play authentic native American songs on her wooden flute.

Jesus Christ this project is so offensive racist.
e: You know what? I'm gonna go there. This is racist.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Aug 9, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dijon du jour posted:

So he's going to make a snowman

Whoa whoa WHOA you can't just go throwing around the 's' word without this guy's permission. He's got a patent on snowmen.

Well, he patented his wacky new snowman making technology at least. The patent itself has some hilarious technical illustrations:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Also, I was going to include 50 air conditioners to illustrate how we are wasting electricity.

Nothing says being environmentally conscious like... actually wasting electricity.

Shill
Jun 14, 2013
At least his snowmen are on par with professional sandsculpteurs from around the globe! Such attention to detail in his snowmen.. I should go back him..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shill posted:

At least his snowmen are on par with professional sandsculpteurs from around the globe! Such attention to detail in his snowmen.. I should go back him..

Just in case anyone couldn't be bothered checking and was wondering what his snowmen actually looked like:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dijon du jour posted:

Jesus Christ this project is so offensive racist.
e: You know what? I'm gonna go there. This is racist.

Watch the pitch video and add sexist too - not to mention totally loving creepy, seeing as how he's putting his own goddamn sister in a bikini to attract attention to it.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Jedit posted:

Watch the pitch video and add sexist too - not to mention totally loving creepy, seeing as how he's putting his own goddamn sister in a bikini to attract attention to it.

Hey, My sister is a beautiful and wonderful human being. And she looks uber-hot in a "Femi-Tonto" bikini. It's "Ironic" sexy racism. No kink-shaming here.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Is he allowed to use, without even crediting it, about half of Sweet Child of Mine in his pitch video? I'm guessing that the answer is "No."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Red Minjo posted:

Is he allowed to use, without even crediting it, about half of Sweet Child of Mine in his pitch video? I'm guessing that the answer is "No."

Traditional Native American songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Whoa whoa WHOA you can't just go throwing around the 's' word without this guy's permission. He's got a patent on snowmen.

I like how for the "electro static" snowman, instead of making some kind of simple lightning or electricity graphics, he just had the snowman hold the logo for the San Diego Chargers.