Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I'm just a prince player, but I just finished an Epic speed Cultural victory before 2000 ad on prince.

King, here I come, you filthy cocksucker you.

E: BTW, it's thanks to you goons that I can finally appreciate Civ. I played it for years, but the finer aspects never clicked until I read threads about Civ here. Thank you, for helping me to enjoy a game I enjoyed forever while actually being competent at said game. Seriously. I've never enjoyed a Civ more than this one, and it's thanks to this thread and the 2 LP's that I'm capable of enjoying this game.

As an anecdotal, at a friends, we've come to name religions we want to spread like a virus the "Yellow Shoe" in honor of a friend of ours who, during an in house game of BNW, got so drunk he accidentally pissed on his shoes then tracked it thru the apartment.

Long live The Yellow Shoe. Never Forget.

cucka fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

The Human Crouton posted:

I do think that's a cool part of it. I just don't want to have to do it nearly every single game. I want my coal, and a I want my ideology.

City State Allies are your friend. :)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

wilbur.walsh posted:

City State Allies are your friend. :)

They don't always have the technology to mine it right away.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

They don't always have the technology to mine it right away.

Can you give it to them?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

KKKlean Energy posted:

Personally I quite like the challenge of having to hunt down a strategic resource that isn't in my borders. It forces me to find a solution like trade, conquest, or colonisation, which in turns gives my game a bit of flavour. I can totally see how it would infuriate most people though.

A building to create a strategic resource already exists in the game to keep you from getting shafted: Recycling Center. It's limited to 4 per empire and costs money to run. At the least it would be an interesting mod.

E: or at the very least every unique unit should ignore any resource requirements.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 9, 2013

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pvt.Scott posted:

A building to create a strategic resource already exists in the game to keep you from getting shafted: Recycling Center. It's limited to 4 per empire and costs money to run. At the least it would be an interesting mod.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Recycling Centre either :P Obviously they put it in because not having aluminium would block the Science victory outright, but I still like the idea of scarcity forcing a much more... overt action on the world stage to acquire what's needed. And seeing as the Science victory is basically the new Time victory (i.e. a steady march to the finish line), a reliance on aluminium gives players a way to sabotage it.

In any case I was just expressing a personal preference, and I know I'm in the minority.

As for city-state technology, I have no idea how it works... I assume it either follows closely behind the tech leader or it catches up with whoever is their Ally of the day (i like the idea of the latter)

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
What? Is this common?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Redchaostry posted:

What? Is this common?

Is what common? It's the GBR, it shows up all the time.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Redchaostry posted:

What? Is this common?

If you're referring to the Great Barrier Reef then apparently so.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Redchaostry posted:

What? Is this common?

The Great Barrier Reef? Yeah, it always has two tiles, it even give you two happiness for finding it! pretty fishies.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Beige posted:

If you're referring to the Great Barrier Reef then apparently so.

Ah, did not know it covered two tiles. Neat.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Play as Washington and drop bombs on them for maximal realism.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Daktari posted:

Play as Washington and drop bombs on them for maximal realism.

Or play as Spain and laugh all the way to the bank with your 1000 gold finders bonus and your doubled tile yields.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bloodly posted:

Can you give it to them?

No, you can't give tech away. I just had to take them over and mine it myself.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
If you are an ally (maybe friend?) with them you can gift them 200 gold to improve strategic resources.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

I do think that's a cool part of it. I just don't want to have to do it nearly every single game. I want my coal, and a I want my ideology.

Just beeline industrialization and if you can't find coal within your borders/close to your borders/at an allied city state, bee-line radio and get your ideology anyways.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Losem posted:

If you are an ally (maybe friend?) with them you can gift them 200 gold to improve strategic resources.

I think that relies on them having the tech, though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

KKKlean Energy posted:

I think that relies on them having the tech, though.

Nope, but it does require the tile to not have a mine already, which is often problematic.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
This city-state talk has reminded me of a bug that seems to have persisted through all the expansions. Every now and then I find that two of my city-state allies are at war with each other, and there doesn't appear to be any way to get them to kiss and make up. I assume the problem occurs through some elaborate sequence of shifting alliances, but the end result is two CS's pillaging each others resources and making my happiness meter bounce up and down. Not ideal. The only interim solution I've found is to park a line of my own units between them, or camp out on the improvements so they don't get pillaged. I feel like a loving babysitter making sure the kids don't have a slapfight and knock over a vase.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone played a game as the Portuguese and have a tripreport?
Also anyone got a tip on a strong militaristic civ with also a strong culture output except the Astec? Currently in a early game as Brazil, they seem to be pretty cool at it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why do all you dudes play with those humongous resource signs all over your screen.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Also anyone got a tip on a strong militaristic civ with also a strong culture output except the Astec? Currently in a early game as Brazil, they seem to be pretty cool at it.

Portugal is the easiest civilization to play as by far. You will be rich, have the best navy, and tons of happiness; all without really trying. They are always my main competitor in any game I play, and once I played as them I saw why.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
And if you take the Pantheon belief that gives +4 faith for every natural wonder, it applies it to both tiles! The GBR is a very good thing to be next to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was some talk about focuing on religion a few pages back. I tried 3 or so games focusing on tradition+piety or liberty+piety and it is completely underwhelming.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

euphronius posted:

Why do all you dudes play with those humongous resource signs all over your screen.

I think people just turn it on for the sake of screenshots, but I could be wrong.

Re: coal: I've often turned on Strategic Balance with resources when I felt like I'd scream if I went another game having only horses in my border, which happens way way too often.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

euphronius posted:

I do it because it's easier to tell the difference between similar resources, its easier to quickly find the resources
Same goes for the yield icons, I like to see what a specific tile gives/will give for food/prod/gold/sci
It's probably akin to the reason people play on Strategic view

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

So I just got BNW and really my experience with Civ V has been limited at best. I played a couple of games when it was first released and a single game as the Dutch when Gods and Kings came out. I am looking to ease myself into the new mechanics and so on. Does anyone have any recommendations for which Civ to play as ? Map settings etc ?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dongattack posted:

They are pretty cool. Your trade routes will give you more especially if you can trade from a city with loads of luxuries as to benefit most from their UA.

The feitoria is pretty useful especially if you aren't focussing on diplomatic victory/City states as you can just send a worker and get free poo poo. Feitorias also copy the unique luxuries like porcelain from the Mercantile city states.

The Nau's ability (exotic goods) will net you roughly 100-200+ gold and roughly 15+ xp so better than just building a caravel.

I went for a Domination victory with them ignoring most city states and it went ok.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Cynic Jester posted:

Nope, but it does require the tile to not have a mine already, which is often problematic.

Yes, it does require the city-state to have the tech. City-states have their own technology levels, so before they can improve their coal they must understand what coal is. If you're a science civ rushing industrialization, this might take 10-15 turns past when you discover coal.

Count
Apr 28, 2004

I could use some pointers on countering an impending Mongolian Keshik invasion. Currently I'm #1 on points in a game with 5 other human players (lunch game at work) but my neighbour is an experienced player who is the Mongolians and I can see he chose all Honor social policies and didn't bother building any wonders so its easy to see what's about to happen.

I will soon have Civil Liberties. Pikemen seem like they would be good but how could they catch a Keshik (which has 5 movement)? Should I spam horsemen of my own? Maybe I should even attack him first before he can get Chivalry?

Advice would be welcome.

edit: I'm Ethiopia

Count fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 9, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ugh, I knew this would happen eventually, but steam cloud saving finally bugged out on me. Looks like it's back to Dropbox saving for switching between computers. I'll just have to give up on my current game until I'm back at my other computer on Monday and can hopefully find an autosave that's not too old.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Count posted:

I could use some pointers on countering an impending Mongolian Keshik invasion. Currently I'm #1 on points in a game with 5 other human players (lunch game at work) but my neighbour is an experienced player who is the Mongolians and I can see he chose all Honor social policies and didn't bother building any wonders so its easy to see what's about to happen.

I will soon have Civil Liberties. Pikemen seem like they would be good but how could they catch a Keshik (which has 5 movement)? Should I spam horsemen of my own? Maybe I should even attack him first before he can get Chivalry?

Advice would be welcome.

:ohdear:

Build a settler and loving leg it

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

mitochondritom posted:

Any UKgoons who use Amazon : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meiers-Civi...7VZZGK4AP3RZ7MX

Brave New World is on sale for £9.99. The website says Mac only but they email you a code which I redeemed on Steam for Windows.

Cheers for this. My dad just picked this up and it's now downloading through Steam (for Windows). I paid £20 a few days ago.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Is there a good overall strategy for taking advantage of the various "fight in your own territory" bonuses? I've basically never fought in my own territory except as an emergency. War feels useless if I'm not taking cities. Can there be an advantage to keeping civs at war while I build to some other kind of victory condition?

I'm having such trouble making a domination victory work. I always end up making too much tourism. Are there any good LPs on youtube focused on a domination victory?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

rypakal posted:

Is there a good overall strategy for taking advantage of the various "fight in your own territory" bonuses? I've basically never fought in my own territory except as an emergency. War feels useless if I'm not taking cities. Can there be an advantage to keeping civs at war while I build to some other kind of victory condition?

I'm having such trouble making a domination victory work. I always end up making too much tourism. Are there any good LPs on youtube focused on a domination victory?

Bonuses to fighting in your own territory mostly work as defensive advantages that make other victories easier, hard to go conquering foreign lands while fighting in national soil.

Domination is about specialization. If you end up with too much tourism, maybe stop focusing on building things that increase tourism. If you run out of scientific, economic, happiness and military buildings in a city, no shame in changing them to science or money production when you aren't churning out units.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Maxmaps posted:

Bonuses to fighting in your own territory mostly work as defensive advantages that make other victories easier, hard to go conquering foreign lands while fighting in national soil.

Domination is about specialization. If you end up with too much tourism, maybe stop focusing on building things that increase tourism. If you run out of scientific, economic, happiness and military buildings in a city, no shame in changing them to science or money production when you aren't churning out units.

Maybe my problem is that I'm always so focused on getting my culture up for the bonuses in the culture trees that I inevitably end up with a cultural victory. I think the other problem is that I don't pay attention to tourism, which is something I need to fix on my end. I just don't like that it's a victory condition that you can't avoid (you can't sell hotels, you can't delete great works). All the other victory conditions you can ignore if you happen to run across them, or keep them as an emergency

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Count posted:

Advice would be welcome.

Can you swing the Great Wall? Keshiks will shred anything you can throw at them so long as they have their hit-and-run capabilities. The GW would do a lot toward curbing that. Military roads will also be a must so that your crossbows can approach and shoot at Keshiks on your turn.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Defensive bonuses in your own territory are great if you're honor, especially if you're a civ that gets bonuses to general generation. Just drop a city next to their borders if they're not already touching borders with you, then drop two citadels to move up next to their city. Now you're getting defensive bonuses in your own territory, except your own territory is actually just a bunch of assholes right next to their capital.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

rypakal posted:

Maybe my problem is that I'm always so focused on getting my culture up for the bonuses in the culture trees that I inevitably end up with a cultural victory. I think the other problem is that I don't pay attention to tourism, which is something I need to fix on my end. I just don't like that it's a victory condition that you can't avoid (you can't sell hotels, you can't delete great works). All the other victory conditions you can ignore if you happen to run across them, or keep them as an emergency

You can place great works in a city and then trade that city off to another civ, that's a really asinine way of deleting them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Matrim posted:

Defensive bonuses in your own territory are great if you're honor, especially if you're a civ that gets bonuses to general generation. Just drop a city next to their borders if they're not already touching borders with you, then drop two citadels to move up next to their city. Now you're getting defensive bonuses in your own territory, except your own territory is actually just a bunch of assholes right next to their capital.

Similarly, provoke the AI into attacking you, crush his army, then roll through his empty territory unopposed.

• Locked thread