Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but the new poster for "Lee Daniel's The Butler" is out (given that the movie has been rebranded).

It's interesting, because the new poster seems to be trying to capture more of a "rad indie film" vibe while the older one is more generic Oscar bait.

Yeah, that's pretty cool looking. Good contrast, interesting use of red, white, blue, and black. Though I have no idea who Danny Strong is, nor why his name is so big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Someone had the 40 Year-Old Virgin template bookmarked

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Sheldrake posted:

Yeah, that's pretty cool looking. Good contrast, interesting use of red, white, blue, and black. Though I have no idea who Danny Strong is, nor why his name is so big.
Remember the really short nerdy guy that everyone made fun of in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Apparently he's writing major film scripts now.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DetoxP posted:

Yeah, that's really the problem. The unfortunate implication is that there's this vibrant city and it's alive, and so are the two leads, but all these Japanese people are all tuned out and grey and dead inside, as if the point of the movie is "Man, if the Japanese weren't so focused on business (notice the abundance of suits and cell phones) they would appreciate what's around them!" The Japanese are alienated from their own city in this poster, when really in the film it's the two alienated from everything else. It's just unfortunate that the design that better represents the film (everything greyed except Johansson and Murray) is also the less aesthetically pleasing choice.

I think your interpretation is a little wrong. If you look at the Japanese people in the poster, they are all doing everyday things people do on their way to work. They live in that city and all the things the audience and the main characters find bizarre or magical is completely mundane for them. In part because they see it every day, in part because they are not on vacation like Murray and Johansson. What I'm trying to say is I don't think there is a racist subplot here.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Pycckuu posted:

I think your interpretation is a little wrong. If you look at the Japanese people in the poster, they are all doing everyday things people do on their way to work. They live in that city and all the things the audience and the main characters find bizarre or magical is completely mundane for them. In part because they see it every day, in part because they are not on vacation like Murray and Johansson. What I'm trying to say is I don't think there is a racist subplot here.

I'm with you here. Everything is strange and new to Murray and Johannson; it's commonplace to the locals.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

EDIT: Also, why is Mariah Carey the third credited actor on the text on the bottom but nowhere on the actual posters?

Contracts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

I think the Star Trek movie posters need some love, and not the new ones either. They all look like covers to the inevitable novelizations of them.

Going back to say to this: yeah, most of them suck, but you included the TMP poster there, and screw that, the TMP poster is baller as hell.

'This trip is going to blow your loving mind'

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Red_Museum posted:

Someone had the 40 Year-Old Virgin template bookmarked

Adam Scott?

Richard Jenkins?

Adult Children?

Divorce?

Is this some kind of sequel to Step Brothers?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Perfectly fine with me as Step Brothers is amazing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vintersorg posted:

Perfectly fine with me as Step Brothers is amazing.

Also Amy Poehler, so I imagine it's just going to be a filmed version of Parks and Rec where they recast Ben's divorced parents. Or it and Step Brothers are in the same universe.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

_aaron posted:

I'm with you here. Everything is strange and new to Murray and Johannson; it's commonplace to the locals.

Having spent a lot of time in Tokyo, much like New York, anyone gawking at the spectacle is an obvious rube that just got there. Anyone who's been there awhile is like, "Giant animatronic Gundam in Odaiba? That's nice."

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Copy and faced.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mother of god. I used to work at a physical therapy clinic (not doing physical therapy, but yeah) and my boss treated Wanda Sykes and I think Virginia Madsen when they were shooting here in New Orleans a while back, but I had put that out of my mind and forgot this movie was even coming out :negative:

e: Wait, July 12th? Did it already come out but not get a theatrical release? This seems like the type of lovely movie that would've made a decent amount at the box office :confused:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 10, 2013

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mother of god. I used to work at a physical therapy clinic (not doing physical therapy, but yeah) and my boss treated Wanda Sykes and I think Virginia Madsen when they were shooting here in New Orleans a while back, but I had put that out of my mind and forgot this movie was even coming out :negative:

You son of a bitch. You could have warned us.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Doing... THAT to Virginia Madsen's face has got to be some kind of crime against humanity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wow, Camryn Manheim, there's a name I haven't seen in a million years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Have any of them done anything in the last 10 years or so? I remember Virginia Madsen had a brief comeback when Sideways was released, Brook Shields was in Midnight Meat Train which no one saw anyway and I can't think of anything Daryl Hannah's been in since Kill Bill I think Midnight Meat Train is the most recent out of all of that, and I'm not sure if that even counts. I don't think I've seen anything with Wanda Sykes in it either.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doing... THAT to Virginia Madsen's face has got to be some kind of crime against humanity.

I thought someone had stapled a Nicole Kidman mask onto someone's face. That's awful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I saw Midnight Meat Train, motherfucker.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FWIW, I rented Midnight Meat Train a while back and watched it with my girlfriend. I fell asleep a little ways into it and woke up just as it was ending and she stayed awake throughout the whole thing, which is the exact opposite of what usually happens when we watch movies together. I've fallen asleep during very few movies in my years. She said I missed nothing :frogbon:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cage posted:

Copy and faced.

The one good thing about this poster is that they're all wearing completely different logos for their team. Everything else is phenomenally lovely, but that tells me everything I need to know about this movie's plot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

e: Wait, July 12th? Did it already come out but not get a theatrical release? This seems like the type of lovely movie that would've made a decent amount at the box office :confused:

What about that cast, poster, title or premise screams "hit" to you?

Now if you made the same movie with Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Garner, Rosie O'Donnell, Queen Latifah and Julia Roberts, then you'd have a hit.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I saw Midnight Meat Train and its pretty much exactly what you'd expect when you rent a movie called Midnight Meat Train, but perhaps a little bit more wooden than just aggressively bad acting. I also think it might be based on a Stephen King story?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clive Barker, if I recall correctly.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

mind the walrus posted:

Clive Barker, if I recall correctly.

This is it. I was sad that it wasn't all that great too, I'm a bigger Clive Barker fan than most :sigh: (most of that is probably "first horror story" nostalgia though).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FWIW, I rented Midnight Meat Train a while back and watched it with my girlfriend. I fell asleep a little ways into it and woke up just as it was ending and she stayed awake throughout the whole thing, which is the exact opposite of what usually happens when we watch movies together. I've fallen asleep during very few movies in my years. She said I missed nothing :frogbon:

If it says "directed by Ryuhei Kitamura" on the box it's generally a sign that you've missed nothing. Except Versus, of course, which is a movie made by someone who thinks Highlander, Evil Dead and Escape From New York are the best movies ever made and could only be improved upon if they were all the same movie.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jedit posted:

If it says "directed by Ryuhei Kitamura" on the box it's generally a sign that you've missed nothing. Except Versus, of course, which is a movie made by someone who thinks Highlander, Evil Dead and Escape From New York are the best movies ever made and could only be improved upon if they were all the same movie.

And he was RIGHT.

A bit.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

This is it. I was sad that it wasn't all that great too, I'm a bigger Clive Barker fan than most :sigh: (most of that is probably "first horror story" nostalgia though).

The short story was actually rather good, with some nice tension and a Lovecraftian ending. Unfortunately the movie version is lifeless and by the numbers. Like the director/scriptwriter just glanced over a synopsis of the story or just didn't bother to give it any nuance.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LeJackal posted:

The short story was actually rather good, with some nice tension and a Lovecraftian ending. Unfortunately the movie version is lifeless and by the numbers. Like the director/scriptwriter just glanced over a synopsis of the story or just didn't bother to give it any nuance.

I thought Vinnie was great in it but that's about as far as the compliments go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only interesting thing about Midnight Meat Train is the title and they only kept that because they were contractually obligated to.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also Bradley Cooper in a movie he will regret being in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

My wife and I share the same roles as far as sleeping during movies and the only one where it was completely reversed was Blade Trinity. Good lord.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Was the For Your Eyes Only poster the origin for this particular cliche?

When did it move from James Bond to American Pie Presents: National Lampoon's College Jokes?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
No because the woman in that poster was actually in the movie. :v:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Jedit posted:

If they were all the same movie, and filmed chronologically. He decided who to kill off by how well they had performed up to that point in filming.

Versus is awesome.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Here is an Elysium poster. I haven't seen Elysium, but it seems well done.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I managed to get one of those from Mondo, can't wait to see it in person.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

LeJackal posted:

Clive Barker stories don't seem to translate to the screen very well, since it's hard to create the same sense of dread when the audience doesn't have to try to imagine what's happening. The distance it puts between the audience and the characters neuters the immediacy of the threat posed by the antagonist and makes for a less engaging experience. My own private theory is that this is the reason why there are so few horror movies these days that rely on atmosphere and the majority of them instead hang their hat on CG and sound effects/scoring to provoke a response. Not that I'm criticizing them for doing so, as I said, the other way of doing is quite difficult, so it's just that much more impressive when some pulls it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think I've figured out the thing that bugs me about even arguably well composed Mondo posters like that Elysium one. It's the color. There's no reason for that to be in only red and blue gradients, and it would look way better if it wasn't using them.