Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I've been messing around with NoScript recently and have discovered ABE. Does anyone have an ABE script to allow googleapis for somethingawful specifically while denying it for other sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What does "uguu~" mean, where does it come from, how is it supposed to be pronounced and why does it have a tilde on the end?

All I remember is this youtube video. If you make it through all of it that is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M

I still don't know what it means exactly.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm going to be finishing a vacation soon and will need to organize the pictures. We have three cameras between us and two of them had the time set incorrectly. One by one hour and one by many years. Is there a good program that would let me add a set amount of time to the metadata in a set of pictures? I'd like to have all the date taken info be correct through all the cameras for the sake of sorting. Additionally, I'd also like to rename each photo to a YYYYMMDD-HHMISS.jpg format if possible using the fixed metadata.
ExifTool does both.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a Samsung Smart Blu-Ray Player BD-E5700. It's stuck at the logo screen which I think is from a bad firmware flash. How can I force it to update the firmware through USB or CD?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Mescal posted:

British people often imitate American accents by speaking like somebody from the American South. Is this because the 'standard' US accent actually sounds like that to them, or because southern sounds most American to them, or just for comic effect because they think it sounds silly? Or something else?

It's the most distinctive accent, so if you get it a bit wrong it's still clear what you're aiming for. Also we suspect all americans engange in incest regularly so it just kinda makes sense, y'know? Y'all have a nice day now, ahyuk. So in answer to you post, All of the above.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Odd question for the Canada goons:

Is GST charged on the shipping for otherwise tax-exempt goods, such as food?

I'm doing some QA testing on an e-commerce site, and currently I am not getting charged GST for the shipping, though I am getting charged PST/QST on it.

Example:

I have ~ $100 worth of food in my cart.
The shipping is $13.75
The QST is listed correctly as $1.37
There is no GST, even though from what I can tell, it should be $0.69

Is there some provision about "If tax is less then $X (perhaps $1?), don't bother?"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

How come on twitter hashtags got called hashtags?

As Twitter started in the US and over there the # it is (stupidly) called the 'pound sign' and not hash?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
That looks perfect! Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

As Twitter started in the US and over there the # it is (stupidly) called the 'pound sign' and not hash?

There's a very simple answer: not everyone in the US calls it a 'pound sign.'

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Geokinesis posted:

You're right, it is stupid. I shall, from here on, call them number sign tags.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I've read several times on the forums that consenting to a police search (in the US) is a naive/bad idea. What is the alternative, then? You say no, and the officers just go away and never come back? I would have guessed that your refusal would just make a warrant *more* likely, since now the officers are suspicious; so you're still getting searched, you just get extra time to hide your whatevers. If I ever find myself on the receiving end of a search request, how ought I handle it?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

unpronounceable posted:

It's called an octothorpe, you plebes. (FYI, Geokinesis was expressing surprise and confusion that a name that isn't stupid is used commonly)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Grundulum posted:

I've read several times on the forums that consenting to a police search (in the US) is a naive/bad idea. What is the alternative, then? You say no, and the officers just go away and never come back? I would have guessed that your refusal would just make a warrant *more* likely, since now the officers are suspicious; so you're still getting searched, you just get extra time to hide your whatevers. If I ever find myself on the receiving end of a search request, how ought I handle it?
"I do not consent to any searches."

If there is "probable cause" they can search your car. If they feel like it they can call dogs to come smell your car for drugs and bombs or whatever. Otherwise they have to let you go.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 9, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mescal posted:

British people often imitate American accents by speaking like somebody from the American South. Is this because the 'standard' US accent actually sounds like that to them, or because southern sounds most American to them, or just for comic effect because they think it sounds silly? Or something else?

The rest of the US makes fun of the South too, its just too easy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

unpronounceable posted:

Tic-tac-toe-tag.

Grundulum posted:

Someone refusing to consent to a search is not considered sufficient grounds to get a search warrant. If it was, there'd be absolutely no point to even asking. Just remember the phrase "I do not consent to any searches." If the police actually have any evidence on you, they'll have no trouble getting a warrant. If not, eh, they probably won't want to spend all day on a random fishing expedition and will just let it drop.

If the cop is being particularly dickish, of course, he or she can manufacture enough cause -- the tried-and-true way is to have a drug-sniffing dog "signal" that it smelled something on you or your car (hey, prove that it didn't!). But even if this happens, you're no worse off than you would be if you'd allowed the search at the start.

Find any of the zillion "don't talk to police" videos on Youtube for all sorts of reasons why you're better off asserting your rights than surrendering them. Remember, if you're being questioned: be polite, be courteous, but know your rights and do not ever consent to any searches.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Grundulum posted:

Police regularly manufacture probable cause for a search. However, you have the right to object to any evidence that search produces... unless, of course, you waive that right by consenting to the search.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from consenting to a search, and even if you think you have nothing to hide, there is potentially a lot to be lost.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm going to go ahead and leave this here re. the legality of bringing in the drug dogs.

http://slu.edu/Documents/law/Law%20Journal/Archives/LJ56-2_Mason_Article.pdf

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

How are the people in the yospos pic thread making their avatars all cga-palette-colored with the cyan and magenta? I don't want to actually post there and ask them because... you know, it's yospos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SlayVus posted:

I have a Samsung Smart Blu-Ray Player BD-E5700. It's stuck at the logo screen which I think is from a bad firmware flash. How can I force it to update the firmware through USB or CD?

It's been a while, but this site is usually pretty helpful.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Geokinesis posted:

It's known by both terms, but "pound sign" is the term used on phones and numbered keypads.

Tiggum posted:

What does "uguu~" mean, where does it come from, how is it supposed to be pronounced and why does it have a tilde on the end?
It's a word used by a character in the anime "Kanon" The ~ is there to show that the second syllable "-guu" is long and drawn-out. It's an interjection used by that character, so it doesn't mean anything. It's one of her characteristics.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 9, 2013

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Twitter team also probably had international interests and didn't want anyone to confuse it with £.

£yolo

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What can I expect, paperwork and fee wise, if I want to buy a car from a reletive in Mexico and bring it back home to America?

Edit: Taking it to Illinois.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 10, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

What can I expect, paperwork and fee wise, if I want to buy a car from a reletive in Mexico and bring it back home to America?
What state?

And if you say "California," be aware that it may, in fact, be impossible.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake. Illinois. I'll edit my above post to reflect that as well. Thank you for pointing that out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about buying some led light bulbs to use in table and overhead lamps in my house. I have no idea what wattage I should be looking for, let alone reputable manufacturers. Educate me please.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I'm looking for a Tumblr that constantly posts seamlessly looping gifs of Looney Tunes and other old cartoons. Anybody knows what I'm talking about?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks to those who replied. I think I'll start looking out for opportunities to use popular songs in my own pedagogy (physics); using "99 Problems" in a text on 4th Amendment law is pretty inspired.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
What are poor peoples' options for healthcare in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave? My girlfriend's got some increasingly bad sciatic (I think) nerve pain - pain in her lower back, spikes shooting down her right leg - that has persisted for a few weeks now without going away and only getting worse, but no insurance to cover going to the doctor. I know we can go to an ER and they have to treat her, but I'm not super jazzed about walking out with a few thousand dollars of debt when we've got $50,000+ in student loans staring us down in the coming months. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where she might be able to turn?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

What are poor peoples' options for healthcare in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave? My girlfriend's got some increasingly bad sciatic (I think) nerve pain - pain in her lower back, spikes shooting down her right leg - that has persisted for a few weeks now without going away and only getting worse, but no insurance to cover going to the doctor. I know we can go to an ER and they have to treat her, but I'm not super jazzed about walking out with a few thousand dollars of debt when we've got $50,000+ in student loans staring us down in the coming months. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where she might be able to turn?

Urgent care clinics tend to be cheaper and provide better care than an emergency room. Depending on the place they might be willing to give you a discount or work out some type of payment plan (smaller, more independent run ones are your best bet).

Alternatively you could try getting insurance for her, but she would have to put up with the pain for at least a month longer and I'm not sure the current rules and regulations regarding pre-existing conditions etc. I knew someone who did that when needing a root canal...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I want to clarify-they do not have to treat her, they only have to stabilize her, and then only if she has:

A medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in —
placing the health of the individual (or, with respect to a pregnant woman, the health of the woman or her unborn child) in serious jeopardy,
serious impairment to bodily functions, or
serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

Regardless, you are far far better off making an appointment with a primary care physician, who may end up referring to a neurologist. Call multiple practices, shop around for one with options for uninsured patients paying out of pocket. If you're poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, get that first.

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 10, 2013

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Oh, well poo poo, guess I'll have to look more into the suggestion above yours. I would assume you can't go wrong with a name like www.findurgentcare.com, but would that be a good place to start? Are there any, like, major chains or whatever or warning flags that I might want to look out for and avoid?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Oh, well poo poo, guess I'll have to look more into the suggestion above yours. I would assume you can't go wrong with a name like www.findurgentcare.com, but would that be a good place to start? Are there any, like, major chains or whatever or warning flags that I might want to look out for and avoid?

Start with friends who can recommend someone they have already seen. From there, google and phone calls. I really think urgent care is probably a step too acute-a regular appointment should be fine, but its not clear how severe and debilitating her pain is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Why do I have horrible nightmares OR sex dreams (and nothing in between) if I fall asleep on my back?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Akuma posted:

Why do I have horrible nightmares OR sex dreams (and nothing in between) if I fall asleep on my back?

People naturally feel helpless while on their backs, and you might associate sex/masturbating with that body position. Do they usually involve you having sex/being hurt while on your back? Also, have you ever been sexually abused?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That's so weird. I can't fall asleep on my back. I literally will not fall asleep. My brain just goes haywire after about a minute.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I like sleeping on my back, but it irritates my wife because I snore only in that position. Does anyone have any recommendations for reducing snoring?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Can anyone point me in the direction of the theorem about blogs asking leading questions and how the answer is generally "no"?

In other words, blogs will usually ask questions like "Is _____ the next ____?" And then you read the article and the answer is invariably "No".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Find a fee-for-service doctor, make an appointment, get a checkup, and when you discuss the problem, tell them you're broke and you need a solution that won't cost you an arm and a leg. In my experience, they will give you one. It may not be 100% correct. It may not be the best solution. But it will (probably) control your problem at a reasonable cost.

"Do every test in the book and always prescribe something" is a product of insurance based medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

photomikey posted:

Find a fee-for-service doctor, make an appointment, get a checkup, and when you discuss the problem, tell them you're broke and you need a solution that won't cost you an arm and a leg. In my experience, they will give you one. It may not be 100% correct. It may not be the best solution. But it will (probably) control your problem at a reasonable cost.

"Do every test in the book and always prescribe something" is a product of insurance based medicine.

Alright thank you and everyone else, I'll keep this all in mind. She came home today feeling better than in weeks after coming home in tears last night, so we'll see. Fingers crossed I won't need your advice but I'm thankful for it if I do.