Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nyquil hangover posted:

My brother just posted an anti-vaccine thing. He has a daughter :smith:

This is kind of an aggressive way to respond, but there's an amazing pro-vaccination website here:

http://antivaccinebodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html

It will challenge him with the implicit question "Are you willing to knowingly put your child directly in harm's way to prevent something that there is no evidence exists?"

I honestly haven't really found anything wrong with that website yet. The creator is very up front about what he does, why he does it, and his methodology, which leaves him open to be challenged on a real methodological basis, except there's no real challenge because anti-vacc is bullshit. I've also saved some other vaccination stuff over the years:

(this one I don't actually like much because it provides no sources or timeframes, but people on facebook only respond to image macros these days)

http://www.toronto.ca/health/immunization_children/pdf/impacts_info_graphic.pdf

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/24/wish-my-daughter-vaccinated

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/06/06/3776327.htm

I'm actually really passionate about vaccines because they're literally one of the most effective medical tools ever invented by humanity, and their impact cannot be overstated. Millions of people are alive today because of vaccines. Child mortality is a fraction of what it used to be. We've essentially eliminated diseases that used to devastate whole populations, causing millions to die in horrifying painful ways, and some stupid fuckers are trying to regress that because they were fooled by one or two people that intentionally deceived them for personal financial gain. It's loving despicable. Everyone in this thread, you honestly have a moral obligation to confront anti-vaccine people at every turn, because the more their viewpoint gets validated without challenge the more harm they can cause. They're intentionally harming their own children (which should be considered child abuse, since the child doesn't have a say in whether they get vaccines or not), but they're also intentionally harming others' children who actually have responsible, not moronic parents. It makes my blood boil that I could have children someday who could get sick and die because some other utter moron was too loving stupid to vaccinate their children thanks to a crooked quack who wanted to get rich quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A few people on my feed were having a discussion about how vaccines were bad so my response was just to post a picture of a child suffering from polio after everything they said.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Nice Davis posted:

Eliminate the minimum wage? Why stop there? How about mandate that employees pay employers for the privilege of working? :smug:

That used to happen in the good ol' days too!

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Nice Davis posted:

Eliminate the minimum wage? Why stop there? How about mandate that employees pay employers for the privilege of working? :smug:

Honestly the people I argue with on Facebook aren't far from this. Every discussion of minimum wage comes with fearful predictions about the harm it would do to Small Business, and business owners would struggle to survive. Because gently caress workers, I guess.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nice Davis posted:

They already say we should be thankful for unpaid internships.

But that utterly pales in comparison to Charles Payne saying that you should be thankful for the privilege of burning to death in a Bangladeshi sweatshop fire!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nyquil hangover posted:

My brother just posted an anti-vaccine thing. He has a daughter :smith:

Explain herd immunity and ask him why he wants other people's kids (vaccines don't work 100 percent of the time, even if you're vaccinated you might be relying on others' immunity) to die because of his disease-ridden daughter?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Emden posted:

In 2008 firms with fewer than 10 employees made up 75% of all firms in the US economy. Overall they hired around 12 million people which is around 10% of the entire work force. Not exactly insignificant, but a drop in the bucket when you consider the big picture. I bet "small business" hires even fewer people now after the massive recession we've had. In short, screw small business.

"Small business" has a whole bunch of definitions. The Small Business Administration puts it at fewer than 250 employees. That isn't, of course, what people think of when you say that; but I can pretty much guarantee that every business that poster listed had more than 10 employees.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Alabama passed a law that you can carry a gun literally anywhere unless they have posted signs, turnstiles or physical barriers of some kind, and posted security guards and physical barriers. Troy University e-mailed their employees saying their company policy would ignore this law and no faculty shall carry guns on campus. This ticked off some people.

The hoodies comment is because he mentioned thugs wearing hoodies with their concealed illegal guns, but that post is not expanded.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nice Davis posted:

The argument is usually that people would just go elsewhere and refuse to work with them which of course is dumb if everyone's doing it.

VideoTapir posted:

Explain herd immunity and ask him why he wants other people's kids (vaccines don't work 100 percent of the time, even if you're vaccinated you might be relying on others' immunity) to die because of his disease-ridden daughter?

I've heard people unironically say "well if your kid is vaccinated what's the big deal if mine isn't?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sir Rolo posted:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/reik...617925554892320

I love the sincere use of Dees illustrations.

Not that I have any illusion that it will help, but their :siren:Vaccination Scandals:siren: actually shows a series of articles, very few of which actually concludes that vaccines are bad or useless; some of them say that vaccination needs to be reinforced, others suggest that long-term increase in genetic susceptibility (because people genetically susceptible don't die from these diseases, perish the thought!) needs to be taken into account, etc. A few others refer to influenza, a notoriously mutative and difficult disease to deal with, rather than any of the standard vaccinations. Peak out-of-context "trufax", in short.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fulchrum posted:

Is there any way that this is theoretically possible? That a stable town would not have enough money in the local economy to pay everyone a livable wage?

A stable small town is generally predicated on large businesses like factories and not franchised chain restaurants. You can't have a Wendy's without the steel mill workers frequenting it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Xombie posted:

A stable small town is generally predicated on large businesses like factories and not franchised chain restaurants. You can't have a Wendy's without the steel mill workers frequenting it.

You can if you're on an interstate. Lots of interstate business loop towns out in the middle of nowhere.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

You can if you're on an interstate. Lots of interstate business loop towns out in the middle of nowhere.

Isn't that the same thing? Just the steel mill is one state over.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

greatn posted:

The hoodies comment is because he mentioned thugs wearing hoodies with their concealed illegal guns, but that post is not expanded.

Oh man, that whole "why don't you leave America if you hate it so much" thing is hilarious. I know that some people want to post that poo poo at me because I immigrated to France and like it here, but the ones that would say that are guys I knew from my 7 years in the Army. Someday one of them is going to break that barrier and then it's all going to come out in a star spangled flood of impotent rage.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm visiting my parents this weekend and they were talking about how terrible it is that Phil Mickelson (a professional golfer) paid 60% taxes on his earnings from a golf tournament. He earned somewhere around 2.4 million dollars over 2 weeks, in addition, he is also one of the highest paid athletes in the world, with a net-worth at around $180 million dollars. I really feel sorry for the guy, earns one of the most prestigious tournaments in the sport, but only gets to walk to away with a million dollars in cash and tens of millions more in endorsements.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

katlington posted:

Isn't that the same thing? Just the steel mill is one state over.

Well, there's also snowbirds and such; in which case the steel mill is two decades in the past.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

greatn posted:

So Alabama passed a law that you can carry a gun literally anywhere unless they have posted signs, turnstiles or physical barriers of some kind, and posted security guards and physical barriers. Troy University e-mailed their employees saying their company policy would ignore this law and no faculty shall carry guns on campus. This ticked off some people.

Wow, this guy is amazing.

Think it's weird for people to carry deadly weapons on them at all times in a school? GO BACK TO ENGLAND, TRAITOR.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sir Rolo posted:

Wow, this guy is amazing.

Think it's weird for people to carry deadly weapons on them at all times in a school? GO BACK TO ENGLAND, TRAITOR.

Think we can spin freedom of speech to imply a duty to be literate enough to know what the gently caress "traitor" means?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

greatn posted:

I burst out laughing at him answering the question of what rights would be taken away in England with "the right to bare arms". The only answer he could come up with, and you're already supporting the idea of banning guns on campus, why the gently caress would you care if that "right" is taken away?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

Think we can spin freedom of speech to imply a duty to be literate enough to know what the gently caress "traitor" means?

Haha, probably not.

:smith:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If he doesn't want to put up with people exercising their First Amendment rights to discuss ways to improve their country then he should move to a country without those freedoms.

Edit: And if you don't like article V of the constitution and the way it empowers us to get rid of parts of the Constitution we don't think are relevant anymore, then you can pack your bags and get the gently caress out.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 10, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

then you can pack your bags and get the gently caress out.

I ache to see everyone who seriously says this to find out how easy it isn't.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dirt posted:

This has popped up THREE TIMES today, all from soon to be mothers that I am friends with on Facebook.

The reaction to my criticism has been odd: Two were straight up hostile, one even called me a shill for big pharma! The other used the equally annoying "I'm just asking questions" bit.

I want to know if there is ANYTHING that works to talk sense into these kind of people? I usually just laugh at the conspiracy poo poo, as most of it is harmless, but the anti-vax movement is actively endangering people. That bothers me.

Also another guy responded to one of theses posts with a image macro from the GBS thread about the anti-vax movement, that brought up animal fat and proteins being in vaccines, and then told them to go to meatspin for more info. I laughed pretty hard about that. The might be the best way to handle these people, as you can't really reason with them.

There's a girl on my feed who every 3-4 months posts an anti-vaccine article from some lovely half-baked website and then gets from me and 3-5 other people the whole nine yards on why she shouldn't be worried and how much bullshit it is. 3-4 months later. . .

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CitizenKain posted:

I'm visiting my parents this weekend and they were talking about how terrible it is that Phil Mickelson (a professional golfer) paid 60% taxes on his earnings from a golf tournament. He earned somewhere around 2.4 million dollars over 2 weeks, in addition, he is also one of the highest paid athletes in the world, with a net-worth at around $180 million dollars. I really feel sorry for the guy, earns one of the most prestigious tournaments in the sport, but only gets to walk to away with a million dollars in cash and tens of millions more in endorsements.
Phil Mickelson did complain about high taxes, but apologized for it afterward, so either he actually thought about what he said or he has good handlers.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

CitizenKain posted:

You should probably point out that the tournament took place in the UK. In America realistically he would have paid likely under 30% or better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Oh man, that whole "why don't you leave America if you hate it so much" thing is hilarious. I know that some people want to post that poo poo at me because I immigrated to France and like it here, but the ones that would say that are guys I knew from my 7 years in the Army. Someday one of them is going to break that barrier and then it's all going to come out in a star spangled flood of impotent rage.

It's so, so easy to turn around on them too. The next time they're complaining about something about America (like, literally anything) you can just spin around and say "Don't like black people walking the streets? Why don't you move to Somalia, you TRAITOR?" or "Don't like Muslims having freedom of worship? Move to Israel, you TRAITOR!" This blanket acceptance that anything that happens in America is great because it's America can be applied to things they don't like just as easily as things they do like.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Saturday, a good day for LL101:

Homosexuals

Black people

Muslims

Obama

Black people

Black people

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Sir Rolo posted:

Black people

When will the white community stop glorifying wall street criminals?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sir Rolo posted:

Saturday, a good day for LL101:

Homosexuals
Haha holy crap. You're intolerant because you won't tolerate my intolerance! :byodood:

Insert tone_argument.jpg here.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mitchicon posted:

When will the white community stop glorifying wall street criminals?
Bring back the guillotine.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Spatial posted:

Haha holy crap. You're intolerant because you won't tolerate my intolerance! :byodood:

Insert tone_argument.jpg here.

Not to mention, based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread and the Idiots on Facebook thread, more liberal-conservative facebook fights end with the conservative summarily unfriending than the other way around, even though every time someone posts a facebook conversation in here there's at least one person who says "It's a lost cause, just unfriend them."

I also wonder how many 'liberal' friends the LL guy actually has on facebook to even unfriend in the first place.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

vyelkin posted:

Not to mention, based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread and the Idiots on Facebook thread, more liberal-conservative facebook fights end with the conservative summarily unfriending than the other way around, even though every time someone posts a facebook conversation in here there's at least one person who says "It's a lost cause, just unfriend them."

I also wonder how many 'liberal' friends the LL guy actually has on facebook to even unfriend in the first place.

There is literally a conservative facebook.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

There is literally a conservative facebook.

Yeah exactly. Everyone on TPC or the new USMC facebook clone is someone who decided they couldn't handle the debate and basically unfriended everyone to go start over. I wonder how many liberal facebooks there are.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

Yeah exactly. Everyone on TPC or the new USMC facebook clone is someone who decided they couldn't handle the debate and basically unfriended everyone to go start over. I wonder how many liberal facebooks there are.

Just the one :smuggo:

There's also the one liberal(ly biased) reality! :v:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I unfriend people all the time. Telling people to do so in these threads kinda gives me the resolve to do so. :P

Guy I knew for 20 years went on a vile, racist FB rant. He quit his job 8 months ago and literally couch surfed until he ended back up at his parents. I merely responded "Race doesn't have anything to do with behavior. Don't be racist." Got wallofracisttext in response, with him telling me to defriend him if I didn't like seeing it.

Then he was offended that I unfriended him.

ed

I tell people Hispanic is a race just like Irish is a race.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Just like Muslim is a race, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I feel really bad for the stock photos he keeps stealing to label Conservative or Liberal. Given it's very unlikely he knows their actual political affiliation.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Xombie posted:

The steel mill propping up most rural towns is the federal government through social security, medicare, farm subsidies, etc. Even with that, many farm families have at least one member working off the farm.

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

"Race doesn't have anything to do with behavior. Don't be racist."

There tends to be differences in testosterone levels between racial groups. Higher testosterone is correlated with a higher chance of criminal behavior. There's nothing set in stone about race + behavior, but we can draw some generalizations.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Emden posted:

There tends to be differences in testosterone levels between racial groups. Higher testosterone is correlated with a higher chance of criminal behavior. There's nothing set in stone about race + behavior, but we can draw some generalizations.

Are you unironically a Nazi or something?