Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

This just gets better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy loving poo poo thats bad!!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
What goes through peoples heads when they do this? Like, seriously.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Holy poo poo, how can you even pass this off as a worthwhile video release?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Amazon US order of that Blade Runner 30th Anniversary arrived safe and sound in the UK today - better condition that a bunch of Amazon UK orders I've made over the years. Thanks thread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

What goes through peoples heads when they do this? Like, seriously.

You know that one woman who tried to restore that picture of Jesus? I think she has relatives in the home entertainment business.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is another fabulous job by HTV Illuminate. :v:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

loving hell.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At the risk of losing my animation/HD nerd cred I wasn't super upset at the other screenshots. But holy crap.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

How does that pass studio review? How?!?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It looks like the Oliver & Company transfer is pretty bad too:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oliver-and-Company-Blu-ray/2459/#Review

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's like Disney took a dump in both my eyeballs.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Harlock posted:

That is a 0/5 not 3/5 :colbert:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

hitze posted:

That is a 0/5 not 3/5 :colbert:

I think that's just how Oliver and Company looked.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Harlock posted:

Apparently if it's not a Platinum Diamond Jubilee Edition, Disney couldn't give a gently caress.

Although now that I think about it, Pete's Dragon did please me... so I honestly have no idea what's going on.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oliver & Company doesn't look that bad from the screencaps. The contrast is a bit high, but I don't see anything destructive like "Sword". Same thing for Robin Hood. Part of what made the proper 4K remasters look so good is careful contrast levels. Note how delicate the shadows look on Pinocchio and how lines still have a soft focus look.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
My understanding from people who have actually watched the Sword In The Stone BD is that the whole movie does not look that bad. Every now and then it will dip to quality like that for a few seconds, but on the whole is more in line with other non-restored Disney BDs. Definitely looks like grain-management software gone wonky, but only here and there, not the entire runtime. Still definitely a gently caress-up, but apparently not akin to the public domain Gulliver's Travels travesty as some are implying. I hope to watch it myself later this week and see.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fox is finally releasing F.W. Murnau's Sunrise in November

This is the first time the film has been available for regular retail sale since the laserdisc. Fox previously made it a mail-in offer from buying three Fox Studio Classics releases, then a remastered version exclusive to the huge Murnau/Borzage/Fox box set.

There's also a UK Blu-Ray that's region free from Masters of Cinema that replicates everything from the latter Fox edition. I would expect Fox's release to be a duplicate of MoC except for the booklet. This should be a must-have to anyone who doesn't already have the MoC edition, which is excellent.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Nosferatu and Sunrise both on the way, hell yeah. I have the old MoC DVD for Sunrise which was a great package, but no longer have a region-free player. Can't wait.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Nosferatu and Sunrise both on the way, hell yeah. I have the old MoC DVD for Sunrise which was a great package, but no longer have a region-free player. Can't wait.

It's region free, so you can play it anywhere. Same thing for City Girl, which is less likely to get a US release.

The US cut is reference quality on how well Blu-Ray handles "aged" film. No noise reduction or cleanup, but no digital artifacts from the increased grain and printed-in dirt/scratches. Even the soundtrack is amazing for a 1927 mono track.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Betty Boop Essential Collection Volume 1 on DVD Beaver

Now this is how cel animation should look!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Egbert Souse posted:

Betty Boop Essential Collection Volume 1 on DVD Beaver

Now this is how cel animation should look!

Holy moly, I can't wait to see it in motion too. Max Fleischer cartoons have really great, fluid animation.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is the Princess Bride 25th anniversary blu-ray any good?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Continuing the train of reacting to that Sword in the Stone image: the colors are actually bleeding through the lines like it was drawn by a 5-year old. How in the hell that passed studio review is beyond me and I'm figuring it's because Disney didn't care about an animated feature from the 70s when they have Pixar IPs to bring home the money.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Justin Godscock posted:

Continuing the train of reacting to that Sword in the Stone image: the colors are actually bleeding through the lines like it was drawn by a 5-year old. How in the hell that passed studio review is beyond me and I'm figuring it's because Disney didn't care about an animated feature from the 70s when they have Pixar IPs to bring home the money.

I'm going to assume that it wasn't sent to WDAS and instead stayed within BV. As much as he loves classic animation I can't imagine Lassiter signing off on this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$4.99 movies at Amazon

Dark City = http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018O4YSQ...WERSKS51GBB6QZQ
Naked Gun = http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEFYP3E...QFKGM0TH4KWXAQM
Friday = http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CA68MK...E84QSNMFYFVJ9QQ
The Ring = http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEFYYA8...R02X61TFVEAFNZY
Wayne's World = http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEBB87O...WA3JW5Y3S424VXE

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Any of my fellow goons own the Ray Harryhausen collection? The blu ray set is currently running for about 53 bucks on amazon. Big fan of all of the flicks in the collectio, just wanna make sure they have a good transfer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

Any of my fellow goons own the Ray Harryhausen collection? The blu ray set is currently running for about 53 bucks on amazon. Big fan of all of the flicks in the collectio, just wanna make sure they have a good transfer.

I don't own them, but they seem to be all solid. You can pretty much guarantee any classic from Sony is going to look spectacular.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Glamorama26 posted:

I have this set and every movie looks and sounds fantastic. Harryhausen films work really well on Blu-ray, the stop motion looks beautiful. $53 is a bargain for what you receive. Twilight Time is releasing some Sinbad movies in November, I'll definitely be ordering these, even at $30 a pop.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Thank you Egbert and giallo kingpin ultraviolence. Needless to say, my order is on the way.

When I was 7, I got the 7th Voyage of Sinbad on VHS on my mother's suggestion and proceeded to watch it 3 times that day. It just utterly blew my mind.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley is releasing two more Cinerama travelogues on Oct. 22nd:
Cinerama Holiday and Cinerama South Seas Adventure

Both were digitally restored from the 35mm 3-panel negatives (like Warner Bros. did with How the West Was Won). Extras include vintage promo shorts, 8mm footage, restoration comparisons, and reproductions of the theatrical roadshow booklets.

You can order directly from their website here:
http://www.flickeralley.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&Itemid=56
http://www.flickeralley.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=56

While these are the 1950s equivalent to IMAX documentaries, Cinerama is a pretty impressive process between having higher resolution than 70mm and having 7-track surround sound.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Star Trek: The Original Series (Seasons 1-3) - $81.66

Star Trek: The Original Series (Season 1) - $33.99
Star Trek: The Original Series (Season 2) - $33.99
Star Trek: The Original Series (Season 3) - $33.99

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I have the stupidest question, but I don't really know anything about blu-rays. The OP is very old and says that a PS3 is the best player. Someone a couple pages back implies that it still is. Will the PS3 not be able to play new blu-ray discs in the future due to firmware (software?) updates that only the PS4 will be getting? Like, is that something I should be worried about, or is everything set in stone by now?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

helopticor posted:

I have the stupidest question, but I don't really know anything about blu-rays. The OP is very old and says that a PS3 is the best player. Someone a couple pages back implies that it still is. Will the PS3 not be able to play new blu-ray discs in the future due to firmware (software?) updates that only the PS4 will be getting? Like, is that something I should be worried about, or is everything set in stone by now?

I wouldn't say it's a stupid question. People are still parroting an old standard answer when they say that the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player. It's kind of like if you asked somebody what the best antivirus is and they say AVG. Once upon a time, that was true. Now? Not so much.

When Blu-Ray first launched, it was going through constant flux. The spec wasn't finalized yet. Standalone players were stupid expensive. Every other big release needed a new firmware update to play the disc. Sony was always on point with updates. Other companies struggled.

Now, things have settled down. You can find a brand name standalone player for sub $100. Firmware's not really an issue. Even if it was, I can't imagine Sony dropping support for the PS3.

When you're looking for a player, you need to ask yourself what you are looking for. Size? Wifi? 3D? Netflix? Hulu? Amazon Prime? Gaming?

That's not to say that the PS3 isn't a good Blu-Ray player but if you don't care about games, it's not worth the extra $80-170 for it compared to other players.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 19, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's not to say that the PS3 isn't a good Blu-Ray player but if you don't care about games, it's not worth the extra $80-170 for it compared to other players.

I think it's a region free player so if that's important for you then it might be good to pick one up. Otherwise it seems like you'd be good with a cheaper dedicated player.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

computer parts posted:

I think it's a region free player so if that's important for you then it might be good to pick one up. Otherwise it seems like you'd be good with a cheaper dedicated player.

It definitely isn't region free.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If region free is ever an issue, filter this thread to my posts because I have links and info about how to turn Panasonic Blu-Ray players region free. I've had my player a few years now, but I imagine they haven't changed much in regards to how they lock down the regions, and I've never had an issue with mine.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The next standalone episode of Star Trek: TNG coming to Blu-ray is "Unification" - with the return of Leonard Nimoy as Spock - and will be released concurrently with the Season 5 set on November 19.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 19, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

helopticor posted:

Honestly, as long as you do a little research before buying a BD-player, you'll be fine.

I'd use the following criteria:

- Does it do what I need it to do? That is, if you want Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, make sure it does that.
- Is it important to you that you have a Sony player to go along with a Sony TV? I have a Samsung TV and BD-player, and it's super convenient that I can use one remote for both, and that inserting a disc "forces" the TV to turn on and change inputs to the player automatically. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but it is a nice feature.
- Are you okay with the price?
- Has it been out long enough that there are plenty of reviews to read on Amazon/Best Buy/etc.? Read lots of reviews if you plan on shopping around.

There are plenty of good devices out there, and the marketplace is competitive enough that you should do okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red posted:

- Is it important to you that you have a Sony player to go along with a Sony TV? I have a Samsung TV and BD-player, and it's super convenient that I can use one remote for both, and that inserting a disc "forces" the TV to turn on and change inputs to the player automatically. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but it is a nice feature.

I actually have a Samsung TV and a Sony Blu-Ray player and it'll do this anyway.

• Locked thread