Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I won like 3 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Clawshrimpy posted:

most of the time, the characters were unlikable pricks.

Yes I think I covered that with "Complete rear end in a top hat psychopath pilots".

Also you keep saying Go Nagai is a hack as if that's a bad thing. I don't understand. That's what makes him entertaining.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Clawshrimpy posted:

Also, GGG wasn't really known to be flashy.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=1w9UX_ZxAmA#/37;45

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Guy is a narcissistic sociopath with a jesus complex who insists on martyrizing himself without a care in the world for how people will fare after he is gone. He is a one trick pony, and his one trick inevitably kills him, everyone in 3G must do their best to enable Guy's need to be a 'Hero' by handling the rest of the work. Even Goldymarg, who is entirely a weapon, exists to help Guy keep fighting. Everyone else is a real hero with a focus on damage control and saving lives? Guy? Guy just takes them, and he gets all the glory for it.

Meanwhile, the Getter Team loves violence but they employ it to keep the rest of the world safe from dinosaurs/demons/aliens and they do so through teamwork. All members are on an equal level, and while they all have problematic personalities, they work hard to make the world a better place the only way they know: By fighting.

Your move, 4chan person. :smug:

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

FortMax posted:

So Shrimpy, what was your view on Gendo as a father figure, vs Kamina as a father figure?

[/URL]

Gendo might have been a bad father, but at least he wasn't as overt and violent as Kamina was to Simon.

Still, I don't understand Gainax's need to have the main characters have zero teamwork and being dysfucntional as hell

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Beacuse hitting someone once to make them calm down and listen the gently caress up is totally worse than the perpetrated and calculated emotional manipulation of your own flesh and blood child.

Please cure your severe autism before you continue posting

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

TK-31 posted:

Guy is a narcissistic sociopath with a jesus complex who insists on martyrizing himself without a care in the world for how people will fare after he is gone. He is a one trick pony, and his one trick inevitably kills him, everyone in 3G must do their best to enable Guy's need to be a 'Hero' by handling the rest of the work. Even Goldymarg, who is entirely a weapon, exists to help Guy keep fighting. Everyone else is a real hero with a focus on damage control and saving lives? Guy? Guy just takes them, and he gets all the glory for it.

Meanwhile, the Getter Team loves violence but they employ it to keep the rest of the world safe from dinosaurs/demons/aliens and they do so through teamwork. All members are on an equal level, and while they all have problematic personalities, they work hard to make the world a better place the only way they know: By fighting.

Your move, 4chan person. :smug:

Guy was far from a sociopathic glory hog, He couldn't win without his teammates, and well, as I said before, Mamoru was the real main character anyway. He's the hero. Guy was just his guardian and well, the one that did the heavy lifting so Mamoru could be a hero.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

So what, what's so bad about "knights in shining armor"? It's certainly better than "heroes" who you can't even root for because they are just as bad as or sometimes worse than who they are fighting.

Yes, that was the scene I was referencing, and it's not registered void just because of the clone reveal, in fact, THAT'S what makes it genius. "clones" were used to great effect with the Cylon infiltrators in the new Galactica show over here, and I don't see how clones or replicants can take away from moral ambiguity. in fact, it's a good method of doing it without painting the heroes as completely irredeemable.

GGG isn't the same as those 70s show, though, both the Zonders and the Sol Lords were a deep analysis of the relationship between humankind and AI. Sure they seemed evil at a glance, but they were extremely sympathetic when you consider their goals. Where in say, Mazinger. Dr. Hell was nothing but a crazy scientist who wanted to play Hitler with the world. Voltes V was just a Gundam-ish racism story between "the horned and the hornless." so it's pretty ridiculous to compare them like that.

Also, GGG wasn't really known to be flashy. In fact, one could say the action is the big "weakness" of the show because of the rampant use of Stock Footage. GGG strengths has always been in the interactions between the characters and the story at large.

Yeah, you're picking and choosing what you want to argue about and what just gets slid away. I was going to try to see if you actually had validity to your argument but you've so far only seem to focus on the black and white aspects of shows. Any shows that have any gray area are lumped in the black.

You're actually rebutting yourself with your own sentences. You want villians who are sympathetic because of their goals and then you go back and rail on how all Gundam series of terrible and evil. You do realize that a reason why Gundam series, especially U.C., is good and interesting to watch is because it shows you both sides of the battle and each "villain" you encounter has their own reasons for making their choices and shouldering burdens. That ambiguity is suppose to be there for the viewer. For each side in the series they see themselves as in the right for their own causes while labeling their opposition evil. You mention that Voltes is a story about racisim and that it's a fight between the horned and not-horned people. GGG goes the same with the Zonders, Primevils, Sol Lords. Each one of them sees humanity as being either weak or a threat and want to oppress or destroy them. GGG was flashy even with stock footage and you know it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

GGG goes the same with the Zonders, Primevils, Sol Lords. Each one of them sees humanity as being either weak or a threat and want to oppress or destroy them. GGG was flashy even with stock footage and you know it.

In fact their attempt to make the Zonders not cartoonishly evil is quite laughable. In the last episode their leader tries to argue that humans are the real monsters, but it's a throwaway line at best. It's hard to take that sentiment seriously considering how the Zonders kept trying to wipe out the human race without even communicating with them or anything, after all.

E: VVV Gundam SEED, I guess? But while SEED has its problems, a conflict driven by people that are different from each other ain't one of them.

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 11, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm just wondering where Clawshrimpy got the idea that Gundam is about 'racism' came from.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Paper Lion posted:

Beacuse hitting someone once to make them calm down and listen the gently caress up is totally worse than the perpetrated and calculated emotional manipulation of your own flesh and blood child.

Please cure your severe autism before you continue posting

What Kamina did was way worse than what Gendo did. in a way, Kamina manipulating Simon to "BE A MAN" and his abuse was actually a much more sinister form of emotional manipulation than what Gendo did to Shinji. in essence, Kamina was trying to brainwash and contro Simon to be a figurehead for this cult, essentially. and for that, he needed to make Simon into a clone of him (sort of like the boy in that one Trek TNG episode where the emotionally scarred boy tries to be like Data.) And once Kamina died, the seed of his rebirth was planted in Simon, and eventually Simon repeats the process to abuse Rossiu.

So Kamina's actions were actually a great deal worse than Gendo's actions.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Also, GGG wasn't really known to be flashy.

I check back on this thread after I see nearly a hundred new posts and this is what I read.

I am in complete disbelief that you are actually this serious about Gagaigar.

This is a joke, it has to be.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on Space Runaway Ideon?

EDIT: Wait, what about Bokurano and Gravion?

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 11, 2013

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

What Kamina did was way worse than what Gendo did. in a way, Kamina manipulating Simon to "BE A MAN" and his abuse was actually a much more sinister form of emotional manipulation than what Gendo did to Shinji. in essence, Kamina was trying to brainwash and contro Simon to be a figurehead for this cult, essentially. and for that, he needed to make Simon into a clone of him (sort of like the boy in that one Trek TNG episode where the emotionally scarred boy tries to be like Data.) And once Kamina died, the seed of his rebirth was planted in Simon, and eventually Simon repeats the process to abuse Rossiu.

At this point I'm 100% convinced that you legitimately do not understand human psychology or how humans work or interact. I am genuinely imploring you to go and just seek some mental help. There are many free psychiatric services in any given first world country that you could go to and begin making your mental state and life in general better. The fact that you are incapable of understanding the difference between hitting someone to make them calm down and come to a realisation, or to help them train in evasive and jumping ability by tossing rocks at them like Kamina and the constant prolonged abuse that shinji goes through because of a legitimately insane parent that couldn't care less about his child if he tried tells me that you are an honestly, severely broken individual, and I really really want you to get some help and get better. A lack of empathy is a big red flag. Please get better and until you do, please stop posting.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Pureauthor posted:

I'm just wondering where Clawshrimpy got the idea that Gundam is about 'racism' came from.

That's what it all boils down to.

Gihren hates the non-Spacenoids because Garma died, and Zeon Deikun thought that "Humanity can't truly evolve if you still live on a planet!"

The Titans thought that every spacenoid either needed to be heavily policed (to the point of abuse) or killed or they'll become Zeon again! And they were lead by a Newtype, ironically.

Char then decides to do the same thing Gihren wanted to, because of the Titans and Haman and crap.

in CE/SEED, Azrael wanted to kill all the "space monsters" while Patrick wanted to avenge Lenore Zala and create "THE COORDINATORS WORLD"

ANd in AGE, Flit wanted to KILL ALL VAGANS because of losing his perfect girlfriend.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

So what you're saying is that a guy that Simon looks up to as an older brother figure, in a harsh wasteland world where earthquakes killed his family, who tries his best to be the strong supportive type the best way her knows is way worse then anything Gendo Ikari ever did to Shinji. The same Gendo that isolated his own son throughout his whole life, treated him as a tool of war, psychologically warp his perception of life and others, just so he could hook up with a clone of his dead wife to summon back the soul of said dead wife into said teenage clone.

Welp I guess if you think so that's your opinion. At this point though I'm agreeing with Paper Lion that you may want to see professional help with your ability to gauge reality and social interaction. Or at the least take nature hike and breath some fresh air.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Paper Lion posted:

At this point I'm 100% convinced that you legitimately do not understand human psychology or how humans work or interact. I am genuinely imploring you to go and just seek some mental help. There are many free psychiatric services in any given first world country that you could go to and begin making your mental state and life in general better. The fact that you are incapable of understanding the difference between hitting someone to make them calm down and come to a realisation, or to help them train in evasive and jumping ability by tossing rocks at them like Kamina and the constant prolonged abuse that shinji goes through because of a legitimately insane parent that couldn't care less about his child if he tried tells me that you are an honestly, severely broken individual, and I really really want you to get some help and get better. A lack of empathy is a big red flag. Please get better and until you do, please stop posting.

There is no difference, violence never solves anything, if you want to help someone, show compassion, not violence, like how Guy and Mamoru's relationship unfolded. It's a much better alternative.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Revolver Bunker posted:

So what you're saying is that a guy that Simon looks up to as an older brother figure, in a harsh wasteland world where earthquakes killed his family, who tries his best to be the strong supportive type the best way her knows is way worse then anything Gendo Ikari ever did to Shinji. The same Gendo that isolated his own son throughout his whole life, treated him as a tool of war, psychologically warp his perception of life and others, just so he could hook up with a clone of his dead wife to summon back the soul of said dead wife into said teenage clone.

Welp I guess if you think so that's your opinion. At this point though I'm agreeing with Paper Lion that you may want to see professional help with your ability to gauge reality and social interaction. Or at the least take nature hike and breath some fresh air.

In a way, Kamina created a much more harsh environment for Simon.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was typing up how Guy and Mamoru are a force of oppression and brainwashing in an attempt to preserve a corrupt status quo while the Getter Team are violent criminals given an outlet that helps them advance humanity, helping them find a place in society and even romantic love in some adaptations of the story. Because there is a small chance you're not a troll and your mental gymnastics would be hilarious.

But after refreshing I'm going to agree with Paper Lion here and stop engaging you because this is just sad now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

There is no difference

All bad things are equivalent, but I loving love moral ambiguity!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Clawshrimpy posted:

That's what it all boils down to.

Gihren hates the non-Spacenoids because Garma died, and Zeon Deikun thought that "Humanity can't truly evolve if you still live on a planet!"

The Titans thought that every spacenoid either needed to be heavily policed (to the point of abuse) or killed or they'll become Zeon again! And they were lead by a Newtype, ironically.

Char then decides to do the same thing Gihren wanted to, because of the Titans and Haman and crap.

in CE/SEED, Azrael wanted to kill all the "space monsters" while Patrick wanted to avenge Lenore Zala and create "THE COORDINATORS WORLD"

ANd in AGE, Flit wanted to KILL ALL VAGANS because of losing his perfect girlfriend.

What about Wing?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

That *is* pretty much clawshrimpy 101. I don't want to get helldumpy in here, but he's been around several boards with people I know and, well, his weird ideas on things don't exactly come from nowhere.

Son Ryo posted:

What about Wing?

Racism by pretty boys against not so pretty Taurus and Leo pilots.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
http://www.viddler.com/v/394460c4
http://www.viddler.com/v/bd35f6f7
http://www.viddler.com/v/3a688ca9

This is what Clawshrimpys actually believe. Clawshrimpy, how many hookers are tied up in your basement?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

KoldPT posted:

That *is* pretty much clawshrimpy 101. I don't want to get helldumpy in here, but he's been around several boards with people I know and, well, his weird ideas on things don't exactly come from nowhere.

I love a good series with herculean heroes as much as anyone else. Hell that's half the reason why I watch Super Robot/Sentai/Kamen Rider series is to see good guys be awesome and win. But at this point of the argument it's starting to tread into issues that aren't related to any robot series cept maybe Ideon.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pureauthor posted:

Oh, I can field that one. He used to post frequently on a board I go to, and would often cause arguments just like this. He was banned a couple months ago, so... sorry for this whole mess, I guess?

Anyway, we were doing a group watch of Zeta Gundam and were making jokes about how everyone was space-racist. He assumed that we were serious and has been using that as his go-to attack on all Gundam series ever since.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I believe the proper terminology is "spacist." :v: But it really is part of the series, not that it's a negative or anything. The whole UC timeline is predicated on people treating colonists/earthlings/jupitarians/whatever terribly and then poo poo getting out of hand.

Hell, what else can oldtype/newtype tensions really read as?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Tricky posted:

I believe the proper terminology is "spacist." :v: But it really is part of the series, not that it's a negative or anything. The whole UC timeline is predicated on people treating colonists/earthlings/jupitarians/whatever terribly and then poo poo getting out of hand.

Hell, what else can oldtype/newtype tensions really read as?

Uhh, the clash between the older generation and the newer generation? It's right in the name.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

Uhh, the clash between the older generation and the newer generation? It's right in the name.

It's like what nearly every Tomino protagonist says at one point: Adults are the enemy!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pretty much every conflict in Universal Century revolves around either preservation of a harmful status quo or radical change that would cause countless deaths or leave an entire group of people disenfranchised. With the protagonists being a somewhat moderate faction in favor of moving away from the broken system without killing a whole bunch of innocent people.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Son Ryo posted:

What about Wing?

I guess we're just pretending that Gundam 00 never happened.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Pureauthor posted:

The main themes of Gundam are social inequality and it's not a hugely difficult leap to identify oldtype/newtype as a racial divide.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Paper Lion posted:

Whoops, yeah, that's a good one. I guess any us/them sort of divide works.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

wateyad posted:

http://www.viddler.com/v/394460c4
http://www.viddler.com/v/bd35f6f7
http://www.viddler.com/v/3a688ca9

This is what Clawshrimpys actually believe. Clawshrimpy, how many hookers are tied up in your basement?

Oh dear god, this is like starring into the abyss:psypop:

The most horrifying thing of all is that this poo poo has been recorded less than a year ago. This is an outright scream for help if any friends or family were to see it. The person behind those videos is in dire need of help and counseling. I honestly have to wonder how they manage to cope when interacting with any other human being.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wonder what Clawshrimpy's opinion on Betterman is :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god, Shrimpy, make more videos. I can't get enough of your nearly perfect, and probably natural, Kermit the Frog voice.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

KoldPT posted:

Racism by pretty boys against not so pretty Taurus and Leo pilots.

Taurus is the sexiest machine in a show full of sexy grunt machines :colbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

I wonder what Clawshrimpy's opinion on Betterman is :allears:
I'm sure we'll find out in three days.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god, Shrimpy, make more videos. I can't get enough of your nearly perfect, and probably natural, Kermit the Frog voice.

Check that Viddler account, he has a complete, episode by episode breakdown of Gundam Seed on there.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

wateyad posted:

Check that Viddler account, he has a complete, episode by episode breakdown of Gundam Seed on there.

You are saying there is an even bigger can of worms I wish I didn't know about?! :shepicide:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Happy Scans released the Shin Mazinger Zero prologue and says that when Dynamic Pro gets back to them they can start dropping the series proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but here's translations of the dust jacket and liner notes for the Giant Robo OVA. The liner notes contain some interesting stuff about it, especially in the later ones where Imagawa talks about things that were cut (notably there was originally going to be a battle between Chief Chuujo and Fabulous Fitzkarald).

http://keyframe.cjas.org/~mneideng/trans/giantrobo/

Worth a read if you're a fan of Giant Robo.

• Locked thread