Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
:stare:

Where did they say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

JerryLee posted:

:stare:

Where did they say that?

Kickstarter comments. A backer had posted a typical 'is this the time to complain to my bank about fraud' and someone at Reaper decided the response to this was to further screw up their PR and customer service skills.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min/comments?cursor=3966760#comment-3966759

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Okay, in the context, it seems like just having to respond to an internet lawyer who thinks accusing them of literal fraud is the appropriate response (hint: it's not a fraud scheme if they've shipped out massive amount of product to 95% of people; their customer service may have inexcusably poo poo the bed on the last 5% but Reaper Bones is not fraud).

On the other hand Reaper's response is equally disingenuous since Reaper is more than capable of just finishing up the process of customer satisfaction on this kickstarter, or at least making the reasons for delays transparent. 'Kickstarters are never guaranteed to succeed' doesn't really apply when the kickstarted product line is complete and almost ready to go to retail and the only problem is you dragging your rear end on putting someone's tiny plastic men in a box and shipping it off to England or wherever.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

So it begins... Haven't painted anything in forever, but this felt good..

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Where did they say that?

Full comment (names redacted):

quote:

Creator Reaper Miniatures about 19 hours ago

We are sorry if you have not received your rewards yet. You may not believe this, but we will be just as glad to get it to you as you are to receive it.

@ *redacted1*: We are 90% complete on shipping out rewards. *Redacted2* is correct in making the statement that it is an estimated ship date. Which was based, at the time, on many unknown factors. We are doing our very best to get the last >10% complete, and we will finish this sooner than later. Also, as we are this close to completion, we will not be giving any refunds anyway. That window closed a while ago.

@ All: Please keep in mind that a Kickstarter project is not a purchase, it's a donation that will eventually result in a rewards for your donation, but technically doesn't have to return you a thing. It carries a real risk similar to an uninsured investment. However, we are not doing this to you as we are shipping. If you are thinking of Kickstarter as a retail outlet, then you should expect a lot of disappointment in your future. We are one of the few companies that have actually fulfilled (as much as we have so far). Take a look around at funded Kickstarters, especially one's that offer miniatures, and see how many are shipping anything, let alone 90% done within a year of the close date.

So, it's OK to string people along with a fake shipping ticker and moving the shipping date god knows how many times, but if we're late to ask for a refund, it's our fault? And the comment about "technically not having to return a thing"... Well Reaper, technically I don't have to be a return customer. And with these kinds of comments you've convinced me not to. Seriously, if you're gonna hold the technicalities over our heads after admittedly finishing 90% of the order, your reputation's gonna go down the drain faster than you can say "Was it really a success?"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pierzak posted:

Full comment (names redacted):

So, it's OK to string people along with a fake shipping ticker and moving the shipping date god knows how many times, but if we're late to ask for a refund, it's our fault? And the comment about "technically not having to return a thing"... Well Reaper, technically I don't have to be a return customer. And with these kinds of comments you've convinced me not to. Seriously, if you're gonna hold the technicalities over our heads after admittedly finishing 90% of the order, your reputation's gonna go down the drain faster than you can say "Was it really a success?"

Yesterday's Reaper posts pissed me (as a person still waiting for my e-mail) off worse than anything in this project before. I could chalk up the non-existing communication by assuming that they were too busy, but the condecending and snarky communication is another thing. Then they locked the thread on international shipping on their forum. gently caress me for being a dirty foreigner, I guess. Not feeling like becoming a repeat customer at the moment.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's pissed me off and I've GOT my email. gently caress that's pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure I'm now not going back to them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The shipping confirmation email (where to?)? Good for you, I hope I got mine soon. But I'm very wary of ordering ANYTHING big from them now (unless I know I can get the transfer reversed the moment they gently caress something up). That RMS paint mega set I wanted? Looking less and less likely now.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 11, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

The shipping confirmation email (where to?)? Good for you, I hope I got mine soon. But I'm very wary of ordering ANYTHING big from them now (unless I know I can get the transfer reversed the moment they gently caress something up). That RMS paint mega set I wanted? Looking less and less likely now.

Yeah, I've heard all sorts of positive buzz about Reaper before, but now it seems that everyone but Brian is a bit of a dick, and Brian is barely posting anything anymore. So we're left with either no info, or sass. Great.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
All I can say is that this is not how they've acted previously. Before this, they had almost a golden reputation for customer service.

It doesn't excuse their actions, but I think part of it is that they've gotten burned out from the comments. I mean, when they announced they'd do the simple orders first, there was a cry for blood from the people with large orders. Even when they were fairly forthcoming about delays, they were getting a lot of abuse.

But it's still their job to do customer service. And they need to be able to distinguish normal, frustrated customers from entitled dipshits.

I'm still going to buy from Reaper. I've ordered two packages from them since June, and both arrived in Afghanistan within two weeks. I believe that this is a temporary aberration of their usual practices. But I can't argue that they haven't given people a lot of reason to be skeptical lately.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JackMann posted:

All I can say is that this is not how they've acted previously. Before this, they had almost a golden reputation for customer service.

It doesn't excuse their actions, but I think part of it is that they've gotten burned out from the comments. I mean, when they announced they'd do the simple orders first, there was a cry for blood from the people with large orders. Even when they were fairly forthcoming about delays, they were getting a lot of abuse.

But it's still their job to do customer service. And they need to be able to distinguish normal, frustrated customers from entitled dipshits.

I'm still going to buy from Reaper. I've ordered two packages from them since June, and both arrived in Afghanistan within two weeks. I believe that this is a temporary aberration of their usual practices. But I can't argue that they haven't given people a lot of reason to be skeptical lately.

Yeah, they seem to have no problem to send out normal orders at an ordinary speed, even normal international orders. But international Bones shipments? No can do, because the Magical Mystery UPS truck can't pick them up. All I really want is an honest update on what the real deal is, and I'd be a happy camper. But for some reason Reaper will do anything but post such an update, which is baffling to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Indeed. WHat would satisfy me at this point, would be a frank, open, honest KS update or mailshot telling those who have been waiting on orders, what's happening. It didn't annoy me at all when delays crept in; frankly I expected it in a process this big. It annoyed me when delays crept in and nobody told me why, and I had to keep checking facebook to see if any news had been posted, and it rarely had, and when it was, it was placeholding, not information.

I don't know wtf happened to the customer service, but it definitely went to poo poo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have to be honest, even with some of this stuff making Reaper look bad, it's not going to stop me buying from them. At the end of the day, for decent figures in the $1-$4 range, I would eat a ton of poo poo on the customer service/delivery side. It's just so drat cheap.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've also kept their cool throughout a year+ of comments section bullshit.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Ultimately, I'd still recommend Reaper to a friend. On normal stuff, they seem to have kept up their usual level of customer service. Part of why I'm so disappointed with this lapse is that they're normally pretty cool, and I'm afraid this will turn people off from buying from them in the future.

Jonas, Space, I don't at all blame you for being pissed at Reaper here. They're loving their communication up pretty badly. They seem to have gotten so tired of dealing with the negative comments that they've stopped giving out any news on the Kickstarter. Which is the wrong approach. But this is not their normal MO. I'd suggest giving them a try after the Kickstarter's over.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Last time I ordered anything from Reaper it took 3 months for them to ship it. And now this.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Last time I ordered anything from Reaper it took 3 months for them to ship it. And now this.

I finally got an e-mail from Matt Clark, where he asked me to provide my address (for the third time). Turned out they only had my zip code and country. Maybe they've had problems with their pledge manager as well?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Yeah, it seemed like they got to the final 2,000ish orders and just stopped. Haven't gotten my notice yet either. Did they make some minor miscalculation and need to order in more Dragons/Cthullus? Are they actually trying to make sure each of those orders have nothing missing? I just don't know, and I'm confused as to whether there even is a hold up, or just it just really feels like it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, it seemed like they got to the final 2,000ish orders and just stopped. Haven't gotten my notice yet either. Did they make some minor miscalculation and need to order in more Dragons/Cthullus? Are they actually trying to make sure each of those orders have nothing missing? I just don't know, and I'm confused as to whether there even is a hold up, or just it just really feels like it.

I got my email, finally. Reaper has now said that they are sending out the last parcels randomly, and won't count how many are left, so it's impossible to know how much they have left.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was at my FLGS today and they had the figures from one complete box set for sale in the cabinet: from a dollar each for the littlest guys to I think it was seven for the biggest. They also had a kaladrax and a handful of nethyrmauls, plus a couple cthulhus and a couple dragons, all marked at full retail.

I immediately thought of you guys who are still waiting, and felt sad. I feel Reaper has really hosed this up now after doing so well, and I feel kind of guilty when I look at my own pile of white plastic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress me, UK customs are loving glacial. They've had my package all week, and not even sent out the note telling me how much I need to pay. This is really starting to hack me off now. I ought to get them on Tuesday. At which point, I can't take them home, because that's game night at someone else's flat. It looks like the packet of magnets I ordered from the US after I got my reaper delivery mail are actually going to beat them here, purely by dint of being cheap enough that there don't seem to be any customs fees.

Fuuuuccckkk etc.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hey, at least you've got your Bones somewhere closer than Texas :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, I know, I feel for you, seriously.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress me, UK customs are loving glacial. They've had my package all week, and not even sent out the note telling me how much I need to pay. This is really starting to hack me off now. I ought to get them on Tuesday. At which point, I can't take them home, because that's game night at someone else's flat. It looks like the packet of magnets I ordered from the US after I got my reaper delivery mail are actually going to beat them here, purely by dint of being cheap enough that there don't seem to be any customs fees.

Fuuuuccckkk etc.

You should be able to phone up yourself and pay with a card. If it's updated to something like 'held for payment' then you can ring 0844 209 6156 and go through the hoops.

Leperflesh I think the lesson for anyone not in North America is to steer clear of Reaper. If you're in NA (and not in Western Canada for whatever weird reason that seems to have been a thing) then it seems to have gone pretty well, with far better communication. The other alternative would be to go via a courier to reship it on. Pricier, but less annoyance along the way.

At this point I figure I'll not get mine until September, it's got to be before October though, right...right?

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I got my email notification! Seems like there are signs of life over there yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mine should be in my hot little hands tomorrow, finally.

And guess what I found out in the interim: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50971-bones-ii-autumn-2013/

They're only loving doing it again :tviv: Before all the orders for the current one are fulfilled, they're planning the next one. WTF.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm in, they did good by my neck of the woods.

edit: you realize they've probably been planning this since before they started shipping out ANY rewards, right? These take a lot of planning.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 20, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

thespaceinvader posted:

Mine should be in my hot little hands tomorrow, finally.

And guess what I found out in the interim: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50971-bones-ii-autumn-2013/

They're only loving doing it again :tviv: Before all the orders for the current one are fulfilled, they're planning the next one. WTF.

I thought they mentioned that awhile ago, specifically on the subject of 'we can't offer the exact same absurd number of add-ons as last time'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

First I'd heard of it. It does make me wonder why they're doing it. I thought the casting machine was paid for...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Because their first kickstarter made them literally millions of dollars in sales? If I had a product launch that made $3.5M in sales in 30 days you bet your rear end I'd follow up.

e. More specifically, I assume they can use the funding to convert more of their model range to Bones. They still have hundreds of models that are only in metal. They could convert a bunch, fund some new sculpts, and advertise their products via Kickstarter again/some more.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So, my FLGS had a bunch of the kickstarter bones for sale, and I grabbed a ton. But I made the mistake of priming a pack of kobolds I got. Am I hosed here or can I undo it without ruining the models?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's nothing wrong with priming Bones. You can just paint them?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gotta wonder how they're going to run against Kickstarter's new stretch goal advisories.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Leperflesh posted:

There's nothing wrong with priming Bones. You can just paint them?

Except that now my models are super sticky, and it's like painting on top of glue. The paint won't hold without clumping into awful little globs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm not sure why anyone would say there's nothing wrong with priming Bones. Maybe the concept of priming Bones is not completely contraindicated in that there are a few primers that are apparently safe to use, but the fact that someone had to make that list of safe primers at all pretty much sums it up.

Anyway, just strip the primer off the same way(s) as you would if you were repainting it from scratch. A while in Simple Green did the trick for me when I accidentally made a Bones werewolf sticky by trying to prime it normally. There are probably better agents but I don't know what will and won't attack the Bones plastic.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Quantumfate posted:

So, my FLGS had a bunch of the kickstarter bones for sale, and I grabbed a ton. But I made the mistake of priming a pack of kobolds I got. Am I hosed here or can I undo it without ruining the models?
IIRC, they dry out OK, it just takes a lot longer (like a week or two). Just don't let them get dusty in the meantime :v:

Fix posted:

Gotta wonder how they're going to run against Kickstarter's new stretch goal advisories.
What's changed?

ed: And speaking of my package, Reaper says the shipping should be done by the end of this week, or, in human terms, "it should be shipped before the end of September, really".

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 20, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh okay, yeah, I didn't realize you were having the nondrying primer problem. You can strip Bones with simple green.

You'll want to bookmark these threads on the Reaper forums (they cross-link each other so you can just bookmark one if you want):

Bones - Frequently Asked Questions

Bones - Preparation (mould line removal, glue, putty, etc.)

Bones - The First Coat is the Difference

The latter two have the meat on them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Quantumfate posted:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

I can only assume you should be able to use Super Clean Engine Degreaser, Simple Green, or equivalent to strip off the primer; as is frequently suggested here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

Except that now my models are super sticky, and it's like painting on top of glue. The paint won't hold without clumping into awful little globs.

Probably your primer isn't dry yet... Some primers can take a LONG time to stop being tacky, particularly if you didn't shake the can properly and there's still some propellant mixed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pierzak posted:

What's changed?

Nothing yet, but they recently put out an advisory warning that might point to changes in the future.

• Locked thread