Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks for the kind words, guys! We've still got work to do but we are shaping up to be done in time for GenCon. I painted for roughly 20+ hours this weekend, wee!

One on the right isn't weathered yet.

Big sexy legs

Shoulder pads! Weathered and not weathered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I got started painting the question marks on my Riddler costume tonight and worked for way too long on it. So sleepy. I over-diluted the paint a little bit and it soaked through a tiny tiny bit outside the lines, but they're faint enough that I think I can get away with it. I'll judge it in daylight tomorrow. If it looks horrible I'll do a border around the question mark in a different green than the fabric as a cover-up, since trying to match paint to fabric is always kind of dicey.

I'll post some pics when I'm not yawning so much.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
note: TwystNeko I will respond to your PM tomorrow I am le tired and am about to go to bed :)

So I started Guy this weekend!

I havent finished sanding down the the edges to be flat but I wanted to just get a feel for how the helmet and visor look together. I am pretty happy with it :)

This should be a much easier to put together than Thomas from a construction/build point of view. Electronics are gonna be a bitch though.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've started on my 2nd Star Wars cause-play:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hey I'm working on a cosplay of barnaby brooks from the anime tiger and bunny. I've finished sewing most of the clothes, but I have to get started on his hair. He has the girliest hair of all time.

I've having trouble knowing exactly how to do his hair. Any suggestions on how do it it should be good. I'm thinking of using some hair curlers and maybe a hair dryer and some hair spray?

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I've started on my 2nd Star Wars cause-play:

This has always been my dream. The scout trooper + Snow trooper are two of my FAVORITE all time character designs.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

duros posted:

This has always been my dream. The scout trooper + Snow trooper are two of my FAVORITE all time character designs.

If you're a competent seamstress/seamsir and you don't mind getting your hands dirty you could do it for ~$600!

e: of course since time = money and I can't sew for poo poo I'm probably going to end up dropping double that on mine :ohdear:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Uh I'm totally stealing that term. I love when people do charity with their costuming. :) Good luck to you.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I've having trouble knowing exactly how to do his hair. Any suggestions on how do it it should be good. I'm thinking of using some hair curlers and maybe a hair dryer and some hair spray?

Are you going to be styling your own hair? :ohdear: I figure you certainly could style your own hair in that fashion, but in my experience, you're better off buying a Wig and spending a good deal of time styling it so you can get exactly the look you want. (and dont wear down your hair) If time/money won't allow for a wig, you're probably on the right track. Lots of product, and a good amount of time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

Are you going to be styling your own hair? :ohdear: I figure you certainly could style your own hair in that fashion, but in my experience, you're better off buying a Wig and spending a good deal of time styling it so you can get exactly the look you want. (and dont wear down your hair) If time/money won't allow for a wig, you're probably on the right track. Lots of product, and a good amount of time.

yeah I have short hair, so I couldn't pull it off if I wanted to. I have the wig already and I have two weeks to style it. I have never curled hair before, so I'm just wondering what I should do. Thinking of getting a curler, put the end of the hair on it, hair spray, blow dry.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Killer_Frost posted:

Uh I'm totally stealing that term. I love when people do charity with their costuming. :) Good luck to you.

Charity costuming is the best costuming. Don't get me wrong.. I love the attention and posing with people and making people smile, but raising money for sick kids and putting a smile on their faces when you see them is really, really wonderful :unsmith:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Look up how to get Farrah Fawcett hair. You'll get a ton of youtube videos that will show you how to style that into your wig. Also look up how to style a wig, if it's not a human hair wig, people will have tips on how not to melt it and such.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

duros posted:

note: TwystNeko I will respond to your PM tomorrow I am le tired and am about to go to bed :)

So I started Guy this weekend!

I havent finished sanding down the the edges to be flat but I wanted to just get a feel for how the helmet and visor look together. I am pretty happy with it :)

This should be a much easier to put together than Thomas from a construction/build point of view. Electronics are gonna be a bitch though.

No worries. :D

Looks like you've got a much nicer cast than mine was. I'm jealous. Who'd you get yours from? I assume you're not doing the full-visor LED mask, as that's insanely cool but has zero visibility and is ridiculous in terms of the build.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Red Robin Hood posted:

Charity costuming is the best costuming. Don't get me wrong.. I love the attention and posing with people and making people smile, but raising money for sick kids and putting a smile on their faces when you see them is really, really wonderful :unsmith:

That's why I got into costuming in the first place... Then got told by the local children's hospital that a female character alone wasn't enough, if I could get Batman or Superman to join me then I could visit the hospital. (Jerks) So I haven't gotten to do anything I really wanted to with it. :( So I have much respect for people who do. Heroes Alliance, Costumers with a Cause, the 501st and Rebel Legion... Yeah much respect for for folks who use their talents to help others.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The bleed-out of the black ended up being pretty noticeable, but I was able to cover it up pretty nicely I think.

Now I just have to decide how many question marks I want to put on the rest of the costume. The painting process is kind of labor intensive, and I don't want to end up looking like the "Free money from the government!" guy.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Killer_Frost posted:

That's why I got into costuming in the first place... Then got told by the local children's hospital that a female character alone wasn't enough, if I could get Batman or Superman to join me then I could visit the hospital. (Jerks) So I haven't gotten to do anything I really wanted to with it. :( So I have much respect for people who do. Heroes Alliance, Costumers with a Cause, the 501st and Rebel Legion... Yeah much respect for for folks who use their talents to help others.

501st Legion represent! :c00lbert:

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

TwystNeko posted:

Looks like you've got a much nicer cast than mine was. I'm jealous. Who'd you get yours from? I assume you're not doing the full-visor LED mask, as that's insanely cool but has zero visibility and is ridiculous in terms of the build.

Got it from Sorenzo Props (guy out of the UK, not quite the quality of Volpin but very high still).

TwystNeko posted:

I assume you're not doing the full-visor LED mask, as that's insanely cool but has zero visibility and is ridiculous in terms of the build.

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yes... ridiculous indeed :downsgun:

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Monaghan posted:

yeah I have short hair, so I couldn't pull it off if I wanted to. I have the wig already and I have two weeks to style it. I have never curled hair before, so I'm just wondering what I should do. Thinking of getting a curler, put the end of the hair on it, hair spray, blow dry.

Get a blow dryer and a medium sized round brush. Spritz the wig, then blow dry it (with the concentrator nozzle) around the round brush in the direction you want it to go.

Youtube will be your friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBZk_YuPYGE A curling iron is going to end up giving you complete curls. You just want to flip it, it looks like. You might even have luck just taking the wig to a salon if you're worried about it turning out and don't mind spending the cash.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I'm doing a Fallout themed costume. It's from Rivet City, an old Flight Deck cranial and Mk 1 life preserver. I've got patches from the USS Oriskany on it, and I'm trying to figure out how, without relying on weapons, I can tie this to the fallout universe. Any ideas?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
A Pip Boy on your arm is always a dead giveaway.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Werle posted:

A Pip Boy on your arm is always a dead giveaway.

Pip boys are overdone. I want a mini-pip. Like, the watch one from the concept art.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

7thBatallion posted:

Pip boys are overdone. I want a mini-pip. Like, the watch one from the concept art.

When it comes to cosplay, usually the word 'overdone' is synonymous with 'iconic'.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

7thBatallion posted:

So I'm doing a Fallout themed costume. It's from Rivet City, an old Flight Deck cranial and Mk 1 life preserver. I've got patches from the USS Oriskany on it, and I'm trying to figure out how, without relying on weapons, I can tie this to the fallout universe. Any ideas?

Belt pouch with a deck of Tragic cards hanging out, leather aviator cap, rolled-up Scout Handbook sticking out of your back pocket, Vault 101 canteen on your hip and a couple of Stimpaks in your pocket.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
If I were opposed to a pip boy, I'd make myself a Nuka Cola brand t-shirt or something. Except really I'd also make a pip boy because they're super cool.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Is anyone else watching this SyFy cosplay show? Holly Conrad is the walking definition of a female neckbeard.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I just watched the first episode - thought it was ok. I don't really care for the drama bits, but I like seeing the costumes and the crafting, so I'll probably keep watching. I saw the Galactus that won the contest when I was in Seattle, and it was pretty awesome in person.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I just expected more fabrication and less personality. I want to see poo poo being made and the discussions about the process, not "we need to make X" "okay we made X" "okay it's the con now" all at once.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Slim Killington posted:

I just expected more fabrication and less personality. I want to see poo poo being made and the discussions about the process, not "we need to make X" "okay we made X" "okay it's the con now" all at once.

I felt exactly the same way. I feel like maybe 10% of the show actually showed the process of creation. The rest was hyped up drama. I was hoping it would be more like FaceOff.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
I think I can share now

I've got a Captain Jack get-up. I've only been to one con, but I've been building it for a while.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Has anyone taken the plunge into sculpting and casting to build masks, helmets, cool widgets? I've been spending a lot of time watching videos, reading blogposts and looking through build threads for a variety of things. It started out as a desire to learn a bit more and it's quickly approaching something I want to try and dabble in.

I have some artistic experience and I've taken more than a few sculpting classes but the building of molds, and latex, and everything else is very new to me. I was thinking about starting off small and maybe trying to sculpt and cast some pumpkin bombs. Something small that would be easy to iterate through different versions quickly.

Are there any beginner gotcha tips someone who has started down this path can offer?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Super 3 posted:

Has anyone taken the plunge into sculpting and casting to build masks, helmets, cool widgets? I've been spending a lot of time watching videos, reading blogposts and looking through build threads for a variety of things. It started out as a desire to learn a bit more and it's quickly approaching something I want to try and dabble in.

I have some artistic experience and I've taken more than a few sculpting classes but the building of molds, and latex, and everything else is very new to me. I was thinking about starting off small and maybe trying to sculpt and cast some pumpkin bombs. Something small that would be easy to iterate through different versions quickly.

Are there any beginner gotcha tips someone who has started down this path can offer?

If nobody has good suggestions I can put you in contact with someone that does a lot of stuff you are interested in. He's responsible for the only good Cad Bane masks out there: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1064915/

leg bones posted:

I think I can share now

I've got a Captain Jack get-up. I've only been to one con, but I've been building it for a while.

This looks fantastic! Please take more photos with you wearing it!

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
Here's two!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So I'll say that the ladies love a man in uniform (Stormtrooper, of course!), but I've got to imagine panties dropping around you wearing that thing! There has been such a pirate buzz lately...

e: drat, I didn't imagine that coming out so :goonsay:

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I'm a puppeteer. I don't do Cosplay but I make masks from a variety of materials and I mold and cast.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain

Red Robin Hood posted:

So I'll say that the ladies love a man in uniform (Stormtrooper, of course!), but I've got to imagine panties dropping around you wearing that thing! There has been such a pirate buzz lately...

e: drat, I didn't imagine that coming out so :goonsay:

i take the gear out for street performances when i'm short on cash, and I can say that I receive most of my tips (larger ones at that) from mom-aged women.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

leg bones posted:

I think I can share now

I've never been more jealous of a costume. Everything about this just looks amazing.
I would walk around with a jar of dirt all day long in that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

leg bones posted:

i take the gear out for street performances when i'm short on cash, and I can say that I receive most of my tips (larger ones at that) from mom-aged women.

I was gonna say something about awesome costume and stay away from my mom aged wife! No seriously I don't need that kind of competition.

Great outfit!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

leg bones posted:

Here's two!

I have only one thing to say to you: REN FAIRS. (Especially if you have a costume-appropriate sense of humor)

I once worked a fair where they had the fake "torture" area set up with judge and such, and you pay a dollar to have a family member charged with a suitable ollde-tyme crime, put on the rack and soaked in water. They'd also haul in costumed fair workers to act out being a harlot or some such thing. Towards the end of the day the were hurting for spectators so they rounded up the 3 (THREE!) Jack Sparrows among the patrons. One immediately threw a hissy fit about being "picked on", while the other two proceeded to get into a very animated argument, in character, over who was the REAL pirate (the other one). One of the funniest moments of a very long weekend.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

leg bones posted:

Here's two!

You look JUST like him...wow.

Goon crush initiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain

couldcareless posted:

I've never been more jealous of a costume. Everything about this just looks amazing.
I would walk around with a jar of dirt all day long in that.
If I could find an accurate jar of dirt, I probably would too!

Amykinz posted:

I have only one thing to say to you: REN FAIRS. (Especially if you have a costume-appropriate sense of humor)

I once worked a fair where they had the fake "torture" area set up with judge and such, and you pay a dollar to have a family member charged with a suitable ollde-tyme crime, put on the rack and soaked in water. They'd also haul in costumed fair workers to act out being a harlot or some such thing. Towards the end of the day the were hurting for spectators so they rounded up the 3 (THREE!) Jack Sparrows among the patrons. One immediately threw a hissy fit about being "picked on", while the other two proceeded to get into a very animated argument, in character, over who was the REAL pirate (the other one). One of the funniest moments of a very long weekend.

That's quite a few Jacks in one area at a time. We do have Pirate Fairs where I live..

cuntvalet posted:

You look JUST like him...wow.

Goon crush initiated.
Thanks! It certainly doesn't hurt, but it does mean I end up doing more characters that look like that than I should. I had a Sweeney Todd picture in one of the Halloween threads, but it looks like it's gone.