Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The extra chapter released in the Tankobon has been translated and put up on Batoto

With it comes the revelation that...Holy poo poo I thought people were joking when they said Pri-pri-prisoner was a rapist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

The extra chapter released in the Tankobon has been translated and put up on Batoto

With it comes the revelation that...Holy poo poo I thought people were joking when they said Pri-pri-prisoner was a rapist

Now you are just exaggerating, aren't you?

EDIT: No, you are not. What the hell, ONE? :stare:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Man on man prison rape is still regarded as acceptable comedy almost everywhere in the world. I've seen "Don't drop the soap" comments in cartoons before.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

JosephWongKS posted:

On one hand the whole prison rape shtick is really offensive.

On the other Speed of Sound Sonics line "I don't like where this is going..." made me laugh. :( I'm part of the problem.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The fact a good portion of the S-class heroes are sociopaths that are barely a step above the monsters is a bit of a running theme, yeah.

Estel
May 4, 2010
The best part is that the only reason Saitama went to fight against the seafolk is because he missed a bargain sale and wanted to eat some seafood.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
The very end of that chapter.

Saitama missed a special sale on seafood. He looks at the news about giant sea creatures running about the city. This is just like that one mysterious being with the seaweed hair that beat up the rapier/fencing guy and the golden ball guy.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Am I the only one who got Junji Ito vibes from the old dude?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Binged through the translated archives in one night. Then I couldn't take it and started reading ahead in the original-art version. The fact that I'll have to wait a month to see a new chapter in the Murata-art version is nearly unbearable.

This is really good stuff and I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread.

EDIT: Haha, whoops.

Terper posted:

Please don't post ONE spoilers in this thread. It has its own thread.

Thanks. I must've missed it and there wasn't any mention of one in the OP.

Runa fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 11, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Please don't post ONE spoilers in this thread. It has its own thread.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Am I the only one who got Junji Ito vibes from the old dude?

Nope. It really reminded me of his one story about the old couple that sucked the life out of their adopted children.

I love all the Speed of Sound Sonic I can get but that chapter left me cold.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I kinda lost it at NOTE: THIS ISN'T TRUE. v:shobon:v

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Shugojin posted:

I kinda lost it at NOTE: THIS ISN'T TRUE. v:shobon:v

Well, I think it's trying to tie into the later theme of heroes are not necessarily good people. They just fight people effectively publicized as bad people and/or that are more upfront about their lovely intentions for others. Then mix that with "prison rape isn't really bad because it only happens to bad people," a hosed up but very real mentality some people have. I'm willing to believe that's the attempted point, make the audience laugh at something hosed up then point out in no uncertain terms how hosed up what they just laughed at actually is, but it's not making me feel any better about it. Maybe the follow through of "this is hosed up and so are you for laughing" isn't strong enough. I dunno.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I definitely agree, I just always laugh at bland understatements of things. It's a totally accurate statement but just falls so far short :allears:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Sonic is an outright mass murderer. Pri-pri-prisoner is portrayed as being worse. I thought it was relatively tasteful.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm a fan of ONE's stuff but I think that's sort of bending over backwards to make an excuse for him. I think it was just meant for pure comedy without much thought put into it.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I suspect it's more slapstick in the original version, with simpler art, but I wouldn't know.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Yeah, you're right. I'm over thinking it probably because we accidentally brushed up against a serious topic.

That aside, Saitama's secret motivation is god drat beautiful.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cooldude2.0 posted:

I suspect it's more slapstick in the original version, with simpler art, but I wouldn't know.

The stuff in the volume-only extra chapters is original content, in that it's written by ONE but was never drawn by him.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Pri-Pri would loving love Oz.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

What the heck happened to Huff-Puff Prisoner? I loved that name.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

international owl day posted:

What the heck happened to Huff-Puff Prisoner? I loved that name.

It fell victim to translation quandaries, unfortunately. The dude's name is a play on words in Japanese that doesn't translate well into English. When the English word "prisoner" is written out in Katakana, it's spelled "purisonaa". If you take "puri-puri", the onomatopoeia for being in a huff, and stick it on the front, you get the guy's name, "Puri-Puri Purisonaa". If you drag that back to English, you can either translate the onomatopoeia (where you'll get something like "Huffy Prisoner") or keep the syllable duplication (where you'll get "Pri-pri Prisoner"), but not both.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

blastron posted:

It fell victim to translation quandaries, unfortunately. The dude's name is a play on words in Japanese that doesn't translate well into English. When the English word "prisoner" is written out in Katakana, it's spelled "purisonaa". If you take "puri-puri", the onomatopoeia for being in a huff, and stick it on the front, you get the guy's name, "Puri-Puri Purisonaa". If you drag that back to English, you can either translate the onomatopoeia (where you'll get something like "Huffy Prisoner") or keep the syllable duplication (where you'll get "Pri-pri Prisoner"), but not both.

holy moly translation sounds like a nightmare of a job.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

holy moly translation sounds like a nightmare of a job.

I would imagine the worst part is people getting offended when you translate something in a way they think is incorrect. NAKAMA MEANS SOMETHING SPECIAL!!! IT'S NOT THE SAME THING AS FRIEND/COMRADE!!! :downs:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Silento posted:

I would imagine the worst part is people getting offended when you translate something in a way they think is incorrect. NAKAMA MEANS SOMETHING SPECIAL!!! IT'S NOT THE SAME THING AS FRIEND/COMRADE!!! :downs:

And that is when translators should go tell sperglords to go screw themselves. (Am I allowed to swear on ADTRW?)

Any news when the next chapter is coming out? I don't know about you guys but I find I want to immediately read the next chapter every time.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

blastron posted:

I assumed it was more of a play on how the words "pretty" and "prisoner" both start the same way. So: Pretty-Pretty Prisoner.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well, in a case like this, i'd go with the one that sounds best to the English reader, disregarding the japanese. So if your choice is "Huff-Puff Prisoner" or "Pri-Pri-Prisoner", I'd go for the first one because it makes sense and has an obvious connection to the character himself, whereas the only advantage of the latter one is that it half-preserves a word-play that doesn't even translate into english anyway.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Oben posted:

I assumed it was more of a play on how the words "pretty" and "prisoner" both start the same way. So: Pretty-Pretty Prisoner.

This would be a really good name for an adapted name. The official English release hasn't introduced him yet, right? It should be clear what they need to do.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Speaking of names, why is the guy that doesn't wear a mask called Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Silento posted:

Case in point: that incredibly dry and literal fan re-translation of Chrono Trigger.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Myurton posted:

And that is when translators should go tell sperglords to go screw themselves. (Am I allowed to swear on ADTRW?)

I think that you are! There's nothing in the stickied rules thread that says you can't! We're still SA goons here after all, it won't shock us to see the F-word.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Speaking of names, why is the guy that doesn't wear a mask called Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask?

Trust me he is wearing a mask

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Trust me he is wearing a mask

Beauty is only skin deep they say

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Case in point: that incredibly dry and literal fan re-translation of Chrono Trigger.
Lavos-sama...

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Wait, what sort of stuff did they change?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

KoB posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say they kept all the Japanese names for starters, so no Melchior, Balthasar, Gaspar, Slash, Flea, Ozzie, Magus, Janus, Schala, etc. In the original most of those characters were named after different references, and Janus and Schala were Jacky and Sara which sounded pretty fine to Japanese people but obviously are far from exotic and Zeal-ish to western ears. Of course if you're the sort to keep that sorta thing in a fan translation then you probably translated everything else literally too so yeah. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't think I ever played it but the project started because the official translation wasn't sufficiently ~faithful to the original Japanese~

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

I think that you are! There's nothing in the stickied rules thread that says you can't! We're still SA goons here after all, it won't shock us to see the F-word.
What the shitballs are you talking about, we can't loving swear here, you cockmongler! :mad:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Adelheid posted:

This would be a really good name for an adapted name. The official English release hasn't introduced him yet, right? It should be clear what they need to do.

Call him Prissy-Prissy Prisoner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

KoB posted: