Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

3 posted:

From what I can tell, you're on the leftmost side of a right-mounted cockpit so presumably your seating position is actually fairly close to dead center.

I am looking forward to the game, but man, that ship is some hot garbage compared to most of the ships in the X3 stable.

Egosoft hired a bunch of the X-Tended guys to make stuff for the TC and AP expansions, and that mod was basically built for "let's make cool ship models that fit in the established styles". They have the second best spaceship modelers after Eve. When we're going to be stuck in one ship for close to the whole game, how can you gently caress up making it look good? I can see they're going for a more smooth / flatshaded / high contrast look than the reflective / glowing / greebled look of X3 and that's fine, I like the change overall even. But the player ship is total meh on the outside.

Also it has a furry on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Klyith posted:

I am looking forward to the game, but man, that ship is some hot garbage compared to most of the ships in the X3 stable.

Egosoft hired a bunch of the X-Tended guys to make stuff for the TC and AP expansions, and that mod was basically built for "let's make cool ship models that fit in the established styles". They have the second best spaceship modelers after Eve. When we're going to be stuck in one ship for close to the whole game, how can you gently caress up making it look good? I can see they're going for a more smooth / flatshaded / high contrast look than the reflective / glowing / greebled look of X3 and that's fine, I like the change overall even. But the player ship is total meh on the outside.

Also it has a furry on it.

I like it v:shobon:v

It reminds me of the old Centaur from X2, and that was one of my favorite ship designs of all time, so I might be a tad biased. It's certainly not the worst Egosoft have come up with (the worst being the Hyperion, which was literally two gigantic Perseuses glued together).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

3 posted:

I like it v:shobon:v

It reminds me of the old Centaur from X2, and that was one of my favorite ship designs of all time, so I might be a tad biased. It's certainly not the worst Egosoft have come up with (the worst being the Hyperion, which was literally two gigantic Perseuses glued together).
Ok maybe I was a bit harsh, but it really is pretty bland.

The Hyperion is terrible, but I'll give them a pass since that was originally for the free add-on pack for original X3:R. Starting with TC they hired some modders from the community who made some pretty excellent models for other new ships.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Klyith posted:

Ok maybe I was a bit harsh, but it really is pretty bland.

The Hyperion is terrible, but I'll give them a pass since that was originally for the free add-on pack for original X3:R. Starting with TC they hired some modders from the community who made some pretty excellent models for other new ships.

Nah, you were right. The new player ship looks like a weird, deformed bubble. I'd have loved if it were a bit more sleek and dangerous looking and less... flounderish.

I guess they were looking for a versatile shape for your ship, one that would look appropriate for any role, and it does... except for fighting or looking in any way scary or intimidating. I'd have preferred something that looked a bit more like Mass Effect's Normandy myself, but I'm sure that will be modded in somewhere around day 2 of release. All we can hope for is that it's not a 1:1 identical copy.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 12, 2013

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hopefully the ship will also be altered to accommodate whatever modifications you do. I could not help noticing, for instance, that it does not have any turrets, and I like my ship to have some turrets to keep me safe from angles other than the one I happen to be looking in at any given moment.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Broken Knees Club posted:

Best official screenshot itt:

:q:

Is this... wait are they... is this a dance mini-game designed to change the price of a ware? :psyduck:

"Yesss... move your hipsssss for profitsssss!" :psyboom:

\/ \/ Well poo poo.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 12, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

kedo posted:

Is this... wait are they... is this a dance mini-game designed to change the price of a ware? :psyduck:

"Yesss... move your hipsssss for profitsssss!" :psyboom:

It was just an april fools joke.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

MechaCrash posted:

Hopefully the ship will also be altered to accommodate whatever modifications you do. I could not help noticing, for instance, that it does not have any turrets, and I like my ship to have some turrets to keep me safe from angles other than the one I happen to be looking in at any given moment.

I can't remember where I saw this, but there are definitely turrets on the player ship.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I figured there would be, but thanks for confirming it.

Are they there on the model and I don't see them, or they aren't shown because you don't start with them, or what?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

I figured there would be, but thanks for confirming it.

Are they there on the model and I don't see them, or they aren't shown because you don't start with them, or what?

There's very little information about the specifics of the ship, but it is actually in X3:AP as part of the plot.

http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/ships/ship-349/

If its even slightly like this version is has front weapons that can vary from terrible to totally overpowered for its class, and one average rear turret.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm disappointed they're sticking with the same game world as the old ones, since it sounded like they were rebooting the whole series originally. It wasn't a big deal in the first game, but if they keep making everything more detailed and atmospheric looking it would help if the entire economy doesn't appear to run on Argon Burger Stations and Magic Snail Farms

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

I remember reading something ages ago that it would do something along these lines. I don't know if that's still the case, but I could see it not being too much work for them to implement something along those lines so it seems likely that they'd have your ship's appearance change a bit to reflect what kinds of upgrades you've got installed.

I would also be pretty surprised if you couldn't put turrets on your ship at all. I mean turrets are pretty basic!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
An interview brought up that your player ship would start pretty basic but would be able to increase in strength by anywhere from ten to fifty based on the various kinds of upgrades you can get for it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm disappointed they're sticking with the same game world as the old ones, since it sounded like they were rebooting the whole series originally. It wasn't a big deal in the first game, but if they keep making everything more detailed and atmospheric looking it would help if the entire economy doesn't appear to run on Argon Burger Stations and Magic Snail Farms

Well supposedly the game is set ~1000 years after Albion Prelude and the collapse of the gate network, so it's pretty much a clean break from the previous series' plots; there's concept art (and a quick shot in the trailer) of an X3-era Split capital ship having been gutted and used as a power source for a bunch of different asteroid stations.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere before that Ego wanted to make a totally new game and realized a little way in that they were basically making another X game anyway.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So apparently the Pride of Albion, or the ship we'll be flying in X Rebirth, is included in X3: Albion Prelude. Has anybody piloted it yet? I mean there's probably going to be little if any translation between that one and the one we'll be driving in Rebirth, but I'm still curious about your impressions.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

GreatGreen posted:

So apparently the Pride of Albion, or the ship we'll be flying in X Rebirth, is included in X3: Albion Prelude. Has anybody piloted it yet? I mean there's probably going to be little if any translation between that one and the one we'll be driving in Rebirth, but I'm still curious about your impressions.
While the ship appears briefly at the end of the Albion plot, it's not normally boardable. Stats are here. Here's some impressions from cheating it in, but it's not designed to be a playable ship.

[edit]
I used Cycrow's cheat script to give myself one, it's a sluggish undergunned m3 with big shields and a big energy reserve. It has the compatability to mount some capital ship guns but lacks the ware size to fit them in.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 14, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

While the ship appears briefly at the end of the Albion plot, it's not normally boardable. Stats are here. Here's some impressions from cheating it in, but it's not designed to be a playable ship.

[edit]
I used Cycrow's cheat script to give myself one, it's a sluggish undergunned m3 with big shields and a big energy reserve. It has the compatability to mount some capital ship guns but lacks the ware size to fit them in.
The Albion Pride is actually an M6, not M3. Keep in mind that those classifications are determined by capability too, not necessarily size. That is what I was told, at least. :eng101:

That is also what it is listed under in the game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hah, everybody in that linked thread thinks the ship is hideous.

They're not wrong. :negative:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Hah, everybody in that linked thread thinks the ship is hideous.

They're not wrong. :negative:
Well it will look better in Rebirth I assume. I also assume you'll be able to customize its appearance too.

Though I admit I'm not one for asymmetrical ship designs.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think it's pretty cool v:shobon:v. I mean not the greatest ship design ever, but it's unique and interesting enough for me to be satisfied piloting it.

Like someone else said, I just hope my weapon/upgrades are reflected externally on the ship.

Also the wording in the interview has me a little worried, but I'm getting the impression "upgrading" the ship is a linear thing (start with weapons a, end with weapons and turrets z) and not a choice thing. I'm hoping it's more of the latter and less of the former, but have a feeling it's the opposite.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I worry more about the fps inclined weapons.. I mean "shotgun"? Really? I want to use stuff like mass drivers, energy link bolt chaingun and high energy plasma throwers.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Falken posted:

I worry more about the fps inclined weapons.. I mean "shotgun"? Really? I want to use stuff like mass drivers, energy link bolt chaingun and high energy plasma throwers.

The shotgun is a sub-capital flak cannon. I highly doubt it will actually be referred to as a shotgun in game.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Embrace die schrotflinte.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is there any real point upgrading turning speed on my traders? As far as I can tell, turning speed isn't a factor OOS, and it doesn't really seem worth it for the odd occasion I might briefly be in the same sector as one of them.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Is there any real point upgrading turning speed on my traders? As far as I can tell, turning speed isn't a factor OOS, and it doesn't really seem worth it for the odd occasion I might briefly be in the same sector as one of them.

On the odd occasion you're in the same sector as a trader it speeds things up. Also it costs next to nothing compared to the total cost of a trade ship.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Falken posted:

I require beams. Beams and missiles. Especially different colored beams.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Muffinlord posted:

I require beams. Beams and missiles. Especially different colored beams.

Large ones at that. That last longer than half a second. Preferably several seconds.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I have, on a busted save, an Albion Pride, it seemed ok, however, I happen to know a little, ah, cheat;
The ship was gained by using "NPC Bailing Addon", in combo with "SCS 4.11", these may or may not be cheats, and it was the only time I have managed to get one, However also using "The Marauder Shipyard" makes engine tunings & rudder tunings dropped by ships "Donated" by one of the scs commands "overtune" whatever ship happens to pick them up. Resulting in my Ptranodon travelling at 500kms, and being as agile as an m5. I tried this on the Albion Pride, it was jolly good.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Large ones at that. That last longer than half a second. Preferably several seconds.

And they should sound like this

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

There was a particular type of laser weapon in Earth & Beyond that I really liked the sound and effect of. I doubt I'd be able to find any videos or anything.

I really miss that game. :smith:

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer

Inverness posted:

There was a particular type of laser weapon in Earth & Beyond that I really liked the sound and effect of. I doubt I'd be able to find any videos or anything.

I really miss that game. :smith:

You're in luck, the game is running still on an emulated server, I tried it 1-2 years ago, and it was surprisingly similar to how I remember playing the game many years ago.

http://www.net-7.org/

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

staberind posted:

I have, on a busted save, an Albion Pride, it seemed ok, however, I happen to know a little, ah, cheat;
The ship was gained by using "NPC Bailing Addon", in combo with "SCS 4.11", these may or may not be cheats, and it was the only time I have managed to get one, However also using "The Marauder Shipyard" makes engine tunings & rudder tunings dropped by ships "Donated" by one of the scs commands "overtune" whatever ship happens to pick them up. Resulting in my Ptranodon travelling at 500kms, and being as agile as an m5. I tried this on the Albion Pride, it was jolly good.
Yeah that's just the Salvage Command Software mod doing that, basically any ship that is donated drops all of it's wares and upgrades, and it's intentional.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Nomikos posted:

And they should sound like this

The reference beam weapons that all other beam weapons are measured against.

Fun Fact: in Cadius' Ship pack (merged in XRM), the Terran M3B is a Zeus bomber.

Edit: The XRM version of that pack doesn't include the sillier ones like the Normandy.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 18, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I knew I recognised that thing. The gunship spec raptors in Battlestar also reminded me of the Zeus.

:fap:

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

3 posted:

Well supposedly the game is set ~1000 years after Albion Prelude and the collapse of the gate network,

Thank god for that. Gates were annoying as gently caress. In my last game I got bored and cheated a fleet for myself and decided to invade a xenon sector with a fully loaded carrier, a cerberus, two corvettes, and two fully equipped destroyers. I tried every which way to get them to jump into the sector together, but they either trickled in one-by-one only to be cut down by the xenon camping the gate. OR they jumped in together and immediately crashed into each other and exploded.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I always felt the gates should have been much larger for that reason as well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I always felt the gates should have been much larger for that reason as well.

Either that or it needed traffic controllers, "Ok, no one through for the 10 minutes on the top and buttom of the hours, even numbered hours means side X goes, odd numbered hours means side Y goes." Then the player can decide to risk it or not while an AI pilot would always follow traffic controllers orders.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
There was a really great mod for X2 where you could mount gates onto Mammoths you bought. Granted you couldn't link to existing gates meaning you had to buy 2 Mammoths (which in x2 were absurdly expensive) but making a shortcut across the universe was pretty awesome. The AI would even start using your gates after a time which generally improved the economy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hell most of my problems with warpgates is about to jump into a gate or just getting out of a gate and BAM! loving TL or M1 out of nowhere! And I was just on my way to pick up salvage insurance :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Warpgates would have been fine if they worked like Mass Relays from Mass Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHIAibDr3yM

If I had a penny for every time I exited a jump gate in my Colossus and heard a Split pilot scream, paired with a small explosion as he gets smeaared across my hull... I'd have a bunch of pennies.

Falken fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 18, 2013

• Locked thread