Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kin posted:

What Rise of the Robots Fiasco? Wikipedia says that they tried to sneak it out by giving out review copies really close to the launch date, but that it got utterly slated in the games media. (unless you mean CAVG)

These days publishers still do that and "top" games journalism still give them rave reviews because they won't get any other games from them.

It was the first over hyped turkey basically.
Revolutionary graphics, sound by Brian May, will redefine fighting games, etc.

And I miss the old journalists who called out attempts to bribe them. I remember when Aliens vs Predator 2 came out, and one magazine lambasted them for sending a crate of goodies to bribe them for a good review. They ended up taking the piss out of their PR, offering the goodies to readers, and then said the game wasn't that bad anyway so no reason to bribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

Anybody been watching that Southcliffe on channel 4 then? Its about a spree shooting in a fictional village and I'm finding it to be a really well directed drama, though with a bit too many slow pans across moors and that sort of thing.

Yeah I'm watching this too. Quite enjoyed it so far but definitely agree with you about the panning. Worth watching though, bleak as it is it's very well made and the acting is top drawer.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Kin posted:

What Rise of the Robots Fiasco? Wikipedia says that they tried to sneak it out by giving out review copies really close to the launch date, but that it got utterly slated in the games media. (unless you mean CAVG)

These days publishers still do that and "top" games journalism still give them rave reviews because they won't get any other games from them.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ap2/bad/rise.html
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ap2/comments/Stuart_Campbell/ROTR_letter.html

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
No love for Cybernet in the games on TV? Just basic news reviews previews without 'attitude'.

http://youtu.be/kHjTIpfNJI0

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Jesus, I'd forgotten about Cybernet. It was shown at some ungodly hour. I had the oddest crush on one of the presenters, so I'd stay up to watch it and inevitably fall asleep in class the next day.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Chunk5 posted:

I've always hated how TV has dealt with 'computer stuff' type programmes. It would never be as good as playing games in itself. I remember when saturday morning kid's TV had 'games' where the player shouted instructions down a phone line. It was just as clumsy and cringeworthy to watch.

Then you have Gamesmaster where randoms were pulled off the street, sometimes competing with celebrities who were just as woefully incompetent at playing the games as they were. And we were treated to something akin to San Marino vs Tonga international football. I pretty much gave up on game related TV after that.

Aw no, Gamesmaster was great! Particularly in the later series, when they stopped treating it like a serious competition and just had a laugh with the whole thing.

Here's one of my favourite moments, when they completely showed up that idiot Dave Perry as the posing twat he always was.

Videogaiden was the secret best videogame show on television. Unfortunately no-one knew because the BBC couldn't be bothered to network it outside of Scotland, and the third series wasn't even fully broadcast, just hidden away in the deepest recesses of the BBCi website.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cybernet was actually pretty good back in the day, because they'd keep the presenter to narration only so most of the program was taken up by full screen game footage. Game Trailers does reviews in the same way.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I don't know if it's already been mentioned and I can't remember the name of it but I remember there being some really really cheap cable channel that had video game channels on. All I can remember was that the vast majority of the time it was just two people sitting on a sofa facing the camera talking balls and one of them was the obligatory young "attractive" female host who had no idea what she was talking about. I have just imagined this?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

7seven7 posted:

Jesus, I'd forgotten about Cybernet. It was shown at some ungodly hour. I had the oddest crush on one of the presenters, so I'd stay up to watch it and inevitably fall asleep in class the next day.

You had a crush on a robot with a TV for a face?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Alan BStard posted:

I don't know if it's already been mentioned and I can't remember the name of it but I remember there being some really really cheap cable channel that had video game channels on. All I can remember was that the vast majority of the time it was just two people sitting on a sofa facing the camera talking balls and one of them was the obligatory young "attractive" female host who had no idea what she was talking about. I have just imagined this?

I saw one of these types of channels all the time channel surfing with SKY. There were several channels that tried to latch onto the Gaming And Gadgets crowd.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Fatty posted:

You had a crush on a robot with a TV for a face?

I was not a normal child.

I should probably mention that I might be thinking of another show. It had the bald bespectacled bloke off of The Gadget Show and a woman with long legs. They mostly sat opposite each other in a dark studio and talked about whatever it was they reviewed. I'm not even sure it was about games, come to think of it.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 9, 2013

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

7seven7 posted:

I was not a normal child.

I should probably mention that I might be thinking of another show. It had the bald bespectacled bloke off of The Gadget Show and a woman with long legs. They mostly sat opposite each other in a dark studio and talked about whatever it was they reviewed. I'm not even sure it was about games, come to think of it.

That was The Web Review, and yeah the woman on that was pretty attractive. They didn't review games they reviewed websites, including Something Awful which they hated. Speaking of the bloke off the gadget show, anyone remember Mercenaries, with its hacker challenges?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A friend introduced me to Indoor League last night. Before my time, but what a show. I'd never heard of a Yorkshire dartboard before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlEYNlSZ44

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I saw one of these types of channels all the time channel surfing with SKY. There were several channels that tried to latch onto the Gaming And Gadgets crowd.
Back in 2008 there were a number of gaming related channels but they all seemed to disappear quickly in the downtown. Recently Ginx has appeared on Virgin. From what I've seen they seem to avoid the assume-the-audience-has-a-five-second-attention-span trap.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
What is on BBC 1 right now can't possibly be something that can't even exist.

Jim Henson's rapidly rotating corpse has a lot to answer for.

phillock88
Jun 12, 2013
Yup, same here. Was actually looking forward to it!

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

7seven7 posted:

Back when I was 19/20 and jobless I used to love the ITV late night line-up, always watching Cybernet, Entertainment Now and a really loving weird and awful rAnDoM sketch show called Dare to Believe.

Then they replaced it all with those loving call-in quiz show scam things. gently caress you ITV.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Raeg posted:

What is on BBC 1 right now can't possibly be something that can't even exist.

Jim Henson's rapidly rotating corpse has a lot to answer for.

This is somehow worse than don't Scare the Hare.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My mum has actually let us watch the Cricket highlights in order to avoid it \o/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think the BBC is trying to destroy Saturday night TV forever. I Love My Country makes me wish Threads was real.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Brown Moses posted:

I think the BBC is trying to destroy Saturday night TV forever. I Love My Country makes me wish Threads was real.

BBC's grand plan to punish us all for not watching The Voice involves pissing on Jim Henson's estate and a Question of UKIP

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

A pretty strong wish, considering how hosed up Threads is.

But yeah, in a way incredibly ironic.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I watched "that puppet gameshow" it reminded me a lot of what I remember from Muppet Show Tonight. But I agree totally with "I love my country" seems to be a show to teach UKIP where the towns without a premiere league football teams are.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Finally a Dutch tv import worse than big brother.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
should anyone be interested, I'm watching Round The Bend in here http://sync.coconono.org/r/flanmurrayspalaceofawesome

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh god that muppett thing is absolutley abysmal, and not helped by having Jonathan Ross. I'm off to read youtube comments for some mature entertainment.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Dragons Den tonight! Look forward to more embarrassing business proposals and tense musical cues.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

You know what would be great? A mashup of The Apprentice and Dragon's Den. I reckon that would make people explode from the sympathetic embarrassment.

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

Anybody been watching that Southcliffe on channel 4 then? Its about a spree shooting in a fictional village and I'm finding it to be a really well directed drama, though with a bit too many slow pans across moors and that sort of thing.

I'm enjoying it a lot too, well as much as you enjoy something so uncomfortable. People often call tv a writers medium, and it's rare to see a show with the confidence in its direction to allow the mood to drive the story. Lots of restraint in pacing, dis-orientating structure and a really grim mood makes something that could be banal sensationalist rubbish - a shooting spree in a quiet, country village - feel quite unique and interesting. I found the first two episode stuck with for a few days after watching.

I guess the remaining parts will focus more on the journalist covering the event, i've liked the little flashes they've shown of his reporting and his complete failure to encapsulate the bleak reality of what's going on.

Mr Empty fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 11, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just thought I'd update everyone on the struggles I've been having with Virgin Media because it seemed to generate a good bit of discussion. Any way - after not getting anywhere satisfactory with them my mum decided she wanted to switch to Sky, it's £7 cheaper a month for a better deal (and she wants Sky Atlantic) and she figures if she doesn't like it after a year she can switch back.

However, at the moment she's telling me how much she enjoys Tipping Point so maybe getting rid of the TV all together would've been wiser.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

HERAK posted:

I spent some time watching clips of 90s gameshows of various varieties on youtube recently, and gently caress me that was weird. The obsession with gunge especially, i wonder if it was a secret cabal of producers who had a particular fetish for it.

It was something you couldn't get at home, I guess. I wonder if there was a company that made it, getting fat over the years on license fees. Not prepared the new millennium. Our post-gunge world.

Chunk5 posted:

I've always hated how TV has dealt with 'computer stuff' type programmes. It would never be as good as playing games in itself. I remember when saturday morning kid's TV had 'games' where the player shouted instructions down a phone line. It was just as clumsy and cringeworthy to watch.

I was just thinking about that. Hugo the Troll (???) on his minecart*. I always figured you'd shout a command, like 'jump' or 'left' and some bloke sitting in front of a computer screen at Live and Kicking HQ would push his joystick. Although it did seem like the voice interaction was real because of how slow and unresponsive it was.

*there are more minecarts in videogames than there are on Earth.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god Hugo The Troll. The memories of my confused 8 year old self just flooded back at the weirdness of that thing.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I remember being bemused that there was an actual Hugo game for PS1. A game based on a Saturday morning TV idea of what games are actually like. Just checking on Wikipedia, it seems there was a whole series of them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_%28video_game%29

Regarding Southcliffe, I do need to catch up on last nights episode but I completely agree with Mr. Empty's analysis, putting my thoughts on it better than I could. People should watch that show, seriously.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I thought Dragons Den was awful. I really liked Hilary (You make my foot itch) and Theo (children's inheritance) and the elevator just seems like a way to pad out the show with pointless shots of the hopefulls using it.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010
Theo Paphitis would get right on my tits when he went on about his children. He inadvertently bragged about his inability as a father when he said "my kids would break that" after snapping whatever the poor hopefully had made. gently caress off and get some parenting skills.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bogmonster posted:

Regarding Southcliffe, I do need to catch up on last nights episode but I completely agree with Mr. Empty's analysis, putting my thoughts on it better than I could. People should watch that show, seriously.

It's beautifully shot and acted, but by god is it bleak. Watched it last night, and it really wasn't what I needed to relax and unwind on a Sunday night. Couldn't get to sleep for ages afterwards, way too upset by the scene where Eddie Marsans' character takes photos of his daughter at the morgue. It was too awful to watch, I had to mute the telly and turn away

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Chunk5 posted:

Theo Paphitis would get right on my tits when he went on about his children. He inadvertently bragged about his inability as a father when he said "my kids would break that" after snapping whatever the poor hopefully had made. gently caress off and get some parenting skills.

Aha fair enough. Its too early to judge but I instantly disliked to new Dragons. The younger Peter seems totally pointless.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chunk5 posted:

My first job was in Ryman's and I spent about a week working with Theo's son. He was a decent guy, little bit chavvy though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Dig WW2 with Dan Snow is just incredible, it's extraordinary what they dig up. The Spitfire and the story of it's pilot I thought was especially good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For people like myself (television masochists), Boom Town starts on BBC3 tonight and it looks to be SPECTACULARLY bad.