Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

From the description on his site about "Manna from Heaven":

quote:

Catch as much manna as you can for the starving people but be careful of the evil doers who are throwing rocks and snowballs at you in order to break the bowls you are using to collect the manna.

Didn't know the Egyptians kept snowballs in their freezers, those scamps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They proudly posted this sample of their previous games at the top of their KS pitch:

It's just :swoon:so perfect.:swoon:

"I won Bible Millionaire!?!? I'm rich I'm rich!"

"Well see you don't win money per se, but you are however rich in Christ's Love"

:smith:

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

NTRabbit posted:

There are just so many things. Many, many things :wtc:

For $25, you get five years of membership in the game. Now we know the heathen LEGO online MMPORG was around $50 a year, had the backing of a billion dollar marketing machine, virtually unlimited financial resources, and wasn't able to make it. Of course ours is different because EK BALLO.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

They proudly posted this sample of their previous games at the top of their KS pitch:

Excellence in mid '90s quality shovelware is exactly what an enterprising MMORPG start-up needs. :colbert:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Honest time here: Is there some strange tenet of Christianity that says the more devout your webpage is, the further back in the 90s it has to look?

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

J.A.B.C. posted:

Honest time here: Is there some strange tenet of Christianity that says the more devout your webpage is, the further back in the 90s it has to look?

It's more a trickle up method of pop culture. Younger people digest some new item and it slowly moves up the age groups as time goes by. In 5-6 years we'll probably be hearing dubstep remixes of how awesome Jesus is.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

OrganizedInsanity posted:

It's more a trickle up method of pop culture. Younger people digest some new item and it slowly moves up the age groups as time goes by. In 5-6 years we'll probably be hearing dubstep remixes of how awesome Jesus is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJHkl8cqiM

quote:

This song was written by Chris C and mixed by graphite412. The style is a laid back, dubstep, soundscape with a hint of chiptune nostalgia and loads of wobble. This is graphite412's first journey into dubstep, but should not disappoint.

Released under a Creative Commons (BY NC NA) license. Feel free to give this track away to anyone.

Taken from the e4g007 release at
http://www.electronica4god.com

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Beyond 2000 was an amazing show. When it first aired during the nineties it gave some wonderful insights into what the future might look like from a technological point of view. It's still fun to watch old episodes on YouTube today; sometimes their predictions turned out to be true, other times they were hilariously wrong. 'Computers that you can wear' is one of those ideas that falls squarely into the latter category. As it turns out, people really don't like lugging around unnecessary, heavy and expensive electronics on their body when a laptop or cellphone does the job just fine. That doesn't stop this fine entrepreneur from making wearable computers a reality.

Or rather, that doesn't stop you from making his dreams come true. You see, his KickStarter isn't to raise money for the development of a specific product. He needs money to make some vaguely-defined 'tools', which can then be freely used by anyone who needs them. What do you actually get if you back this project, then? Well, for fifty bucks, you get a bunch of plastic casings for the future products you're going to make. It's not like every hobby electronics store in existence sells those things or anything.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

From the description on his site about "Manna from Heaven":
"Catch as much manna as you can for the starving people..."

They can't even get their bible right, the whole point of the manna collection thing is that God commanded them to only collect what they needed, no more or else it would spoil.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Autechresaint posted:

They can't even get their bible right, the whole point of the manna collection thing is that God commanded them to only collect what they needed, no more or else it would spoil.

This is more like Pokemanna.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I can't stop seeing followers of chris cross.

Chris cross would be a badass stage name holy poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nnep posted:

I can't stop seeing followers of chris cross.

I don't know… the connotations rather ruin it.

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013
One of my favorite things about Christianity is the way people mistake mentally ill Christians for people who are just really, really devout, so their illness is allowed to progress further and with greater acceptance than it would if it was focused on aliens or invisible snakes or whatever. The results are always magical.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Nnep posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkIuKXwmlU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Zybourne Clock posted:

. That doesn't stop this fine entrepreneur from making wearable computers a reality.

This guy is hysterical. At least the video game Christians can explain what they're making. This guy's video is just hilariously vague.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

This guy is hysterical. At least the video game Christians can explain what they're making. This guy's video is just hilariously vague.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Except this song is THE poo poo :colbert:

Tron is now

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
So did that little girl go to game camp and make a game?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nnep posted:

What exactly is the demographic for a negro league t-shirt?
Baseball fans. Some of their players were much better than their MLB counterparts at the time, although they weren't admitted into the Hall of Fame until later. My dad would probably literally commit murder for a Cool Papa Bell t shirt.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thylacine posted:

So did that little girl go to game camp and make a game?

It was supposed to be released on 7/31 but she/they missed the deadline. But you can still pre-order your copy for the low low price of $9.99!!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

And the award for "Least Rocking Use of a Double Neck Guitar" goes to...

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Apologies if this has been posted already but this thing is just monstrously loving dumb as poo poo

Fingersurfing - $15,000 for tiny pieces of wood with strings tied to them

yes, really

$15,000. For tiny finger-sized surfboards with strings tied to 'em.

Instant Grat has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Aug 13, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's silly, yes. But it also looks like a fun toy. The sum they are asking for is what's dumb.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eh, if they were knocking these things out themselves in their garage it'd be an overreaching project but since they're getting them produced in a factory I guess they need to order a minimum amount to make the project viable. $15k for a production run isn't unreasonable. The only real measure of whether they're aiming too high is whether they meet their goal and Kicktraq shows that they're only barely trending towards success so I guess we'll see.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Not everything needs to be factory produced. Those things are so simple a small workshop could produce them for a reasonable price. If they were factory made, they should cost something like $5 or so and not $18.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I dunno, man. I don't drive so if I'm ever in a car I'm riding shotgun. For even 10 minutes trips I can see one of those being fun as hell.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's a fun idea. Many a road trip I am the navigator and often I play idly with the wind rushing past the car.

The problem is it's not an idea I'd pay for. It's an idea I will likely just steal by grabbing a random bit of driftwood or whatever and whittle my own, in much the same way they did when they came up with it. Because making it would kill time in a nice way too.

EDIT: In Awesome Kickstarters news I chipped in to this project, because I and several of my friends are WW1/2 nerds and one friend in particular lets me use his sweet workshop for building stuff, so this will be his xmas/thankyou present.

EDIT2: I also pledged to these guys, because their goal was reasonable, I can't stand shows like Dragons Den and also because Horse Jerky. Horse Jerky called My Brittle Pony, which they released at the height of the Horsemeat scandal in the UK, on the label it states "100% Horse, guaranteed no Beef".

ReelBigLizard has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Aug 13, 2013

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
Browsing through the "games" offerings and noticed a fairly substantial number of RPG type non-digital games. (Like D&D).

Is there really a market for those? How many games can one group of nerds play?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

JDM3 posted:

Browsing through the "games" offerings and noticed a fairly substantial number of RPG type non-digital games. (Like D&D).

I'm playing pen and paper RPGs very casually and I have rulebooks for 3 different games. The average player probably has around 10 or so. They're not expensive.

And every pen and paper RPG player is at least developing one game system themselves.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JDM3 posted:

Tabletop RPGs can potentially be made building on the underlying systems of existing core rulesets like Pathfinder's, so it's not particularly hard to develop your own. Consequently this has a "Game Maker" effect in that there are a small number of legitimately good RPGs being overshadowed by huge quantities of dreck.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JDM3 posted:

Based on the groups I game with, a lot more than you might think. Some gamers like to stick with a few systems, while others will branch out and try as many different systems that they can get their hands on.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Zybourne Clock posted:

Beyond 2000 was an amazing show. When it first aired during the nineties it gave some wonderful insights into what the future might look like from a technological point of view. It's still fun to watch old episodes on YouTube today; sometimes their predictions turned out to be true, other times they were hilariously wrong. 'Computers that you can wear' is one of those ideas that falls squarely into the latter category. As it turns out, people really don't like lugging around unnecessary, heavy and expensive electronics on their body when a laptop or cellphone does the job just fine. That doesn't stop this fine entrepreneur from making wearable computers a reality.

Or rather, that doesn't stop you from making his dreams come true. You see, his KickStarter isn't to raise money for the development of a specific product. He needs money to make some vaguely-defined 'tools', which can then be freely used by anyone who needs them. What do you actually get if you back this project, then? Well, for fifty bucks, you get a bunch of plastic casings for the future products you're going to make. It's not like every hobby electronics store in existence sells those things or anything.

This is so hilariously awful. It looks like he had one friend good with computers and was like "Hey Josh you can do computer stuff, you built me one that one time right?" "Yeah man what-" "Ok so we're going to have this kickstarter..."

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

JDM3 posted:

You'd be surprised at the number of distinctly different games that can be created from minor tweaking of game models. Most game's aren't too difficult either when you get down to it. For instance Arkham Horror has really easy rules and even Mansion of Madness can be understood after one playthrough. These kickstarters are actually really nice for groups that want to try something different, its just a shame half of them want something like 1k+ when they could easily do a kickstarter asking for $200-300 to print a rulebook

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sure that the content is fine or whatever, but dear Lord is APNGasm a terrible name.

e: The creator apparently also asked for money to make a large emoticon pack?

Red Minjo has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Aug 13, 2013

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Red Minjo posted:

I'm sure that the content is fine or whatever, but dear Lord is APNGasm a terrible name.

Yeah animated PNGs are a terrible idea, I guess this is a good example of not asking too much and you'll make your goals based on stupid people.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Anyone else getting a Robot Repair vibe from the title picture?

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Red Minjo posted:

Haven't you learned anything from the internet? Weeaboos go apeshit over anything from Nippon

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Red Minjo posted:

Yeah that's just what APNG needs to become a standard, more obscure support. That worked for 7-Zip/Ogg/WebM right? :v:

Also Kickstarter seems kinda counter to the whole OSS thing. Pay me money to make already widely-available free stuff!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

JDM3 posted:

Most TGers I know buy a game in the vain, slim hope that one day someone will be interested in a game of post-apocalyptic African mysticism or whatever. This never happens.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And every pen and paper RPG player is at least developing one game system themselves.

I can vouch for this. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

It was supposed to be released on 7/31 but she/they missed the deadline. But you can still pre-order your copy for the low low price of $9.99!!

I know most people are probably tired of this story as we ran it into the ground last time, but holy crap look at that website. She has a gamer girls store with really lazy gamer girl merch, including this beauty.

Yes, nothing says "innocent send my 9 year old daughter to computer camp project" like setting up a site hocking loving beer koozies. God, that women is awful.