Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Zereth posted:

What the shitballs are you talking about, we can't loving swear here, you cockmongler! :mad:

:monocle: I am truly shocked!

EDIT: That's a silly way to start a new page.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

DrSunshine posted:

:monocle: I am truly shocked!

EDIT: That's a silly way to start a new page.

mankind is doomed by his indifference.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
We might be saved if we can convince him that titans are delicious.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Just for reference, which english translation is the original and which is the fan translated. It's been a few years since I played CT.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

onepixeljumpman posted:

Or that all of the titans are in the way of a convenience store sale.

Brought To You By posted:

Just for reference, which english translation is the original and which is the fan translated. It's been a few years since I played CT.

The right one is obviously the fan translation, which you can tell from the first line. Vinegar? Magus-sama? Woolsey's better than that poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Coughing Hobo posted:

Or that all of the titans are in the way of a convenience store sale.

The right one is obviously the fan translation, which you can tell from the first line. Vinegar? Magus-sama? Woolsey's better than that poo poo.

It's funny because Vinegar is Ozzie's name in Japan, but Magus is Maou (Demon King), and considering they went to the trouble of using Japanese honorifics you'd think they'd keep his Japanese name too to make it more ~authentic~.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AnonSpore posted:

It's funny because Vinegar is Ozzie's name in Japan, but Magus is Maou (Demon King), and considering they went to the trouble of using Japanese honorifics you'd think they'd keep his Japanese name too to make it more ~authentic~.

I now have a picture in my head of Magus looking very surly while working the counter of a MgRonalds. :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009
The only mistake is that Gonzalez is a totally rad name for a karaoke robot, even if Gato is still hilarious.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Myurton posted:

And that is when translators should go tell sperglords to go screw themselves. (Am I allowed to swear on ADTRW?)

You cannot swear here unless it is in Japanese you baka.

The Duke of Butts
Aug 9, 2008

by Ralp
Any idea if/when the books are going to be officially released in English?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The Duke of Butts posted:

Any idea if/when the books are going to be officially released in English?

This was something I was wondering too, I want to share this with my friends, in paperback form, if I could.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

onepixeljumpman posted:

Today is a special Titan sale!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I picked up the new volume of OPM a few days ago and man, you guys are missing out on same great extras. I highly recommend buying the volumes if you can read Japanese or even if you have some disposable income and like good humorous art. My favorites from this volume are Saitama speaking into an electric fan to make his voice choppy in the dramatis personae, because everyone has done that at some point in their lives and Murata playing around yet again with the dust jacket and having it be an above/below shot of the sea. :allears:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So I ran into Onepunch Man today and read it in one go. Then I came here because I knew this will have a thread to gush about the amazing art.

And speaking of his art he's streaming at the moment and I got curious about that thing he uses as an eraser, is it just a rubber eraser or something else? It's so weirdly shaped and black so I'm not sure.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
If he's erasing ink with it, it's probably a vinyl eraser.

Otherwise, it's probably a regular rubber eraser, or a gum eraser.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If it is black and a weird shape it might be a kneaded rubber eraser that has absorbed a enough graphite to become black. He isn't streaming right now so I can't confirm though.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

That's pretty awful but it looks like they just needed better writers to appropriate the translations into a more natural sounding English.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't think you get fan-translations. It's not "unnatural", it's "pure".

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think you get fan-translations. It's not "unnatural", it's "pure".
The original meaning is sacred! You would dare change a "world of Demons" into a mere "world of Evil"?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Bisse posted:

The original meaning is sacred! You would dare change a "world of Demons" into a mere "world of Evil"?

Well, a "world of evil" could have anyone doing the evil. "World of Demons" is a lot more specific about there being demons. You need the original Japanese to really understand the complexity of that sentence. :fap: :japan:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

onepixeljumpman posted:

Well, a "world of evil" could have anyone doing the evil. "World of Demons" is a lot more specific about there being demons. You need the original Japanese to really understand the complexity of that sentence. :fap: :japan:
Lavos-sama.....

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

And for that matter, where does it state the demons are supposed to be evil? Sounds kinda like prejudice to me.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Ezzer posted:

And for that matter, where does it state the demons are supposed to be evil? Sounds kinda like prejudice to me.
It's right there in the kanji, isn't it? Which is why I oppose not only "natural" translations, but any translation at all including romanization.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
Shouldn't the next chapter be out by now?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Poke posted:

Shouldn't the next chapter be out by now?

Murata was unhappy and decided to completely redraw some poo poo, it will be out in 6 days.

Opter
Jul 8, 2010
Maybe it's already been said but so far some of my favorite OPM moments are Saitama's interactions with other heroes. Other than Genos, the only other hero he seems to respect/appreciate/etc is Licenseless Rider in chapter 26. I don't remember him being particularly impressed by anyone else.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Opter posted:

Maybe it's already been said but so far some of my favorite OPM moments are Saitama's interactions with other heroes. Other than Genos, the only other hero he seems to respect/appreciate/etc is Licenseless Rider in chapter 26. I don't remember him being particularly impressed by anyone else.

And he only hangs out with Genos for money. But if heroes were hanging around with him constantly they'd probably start to feel pretty loving worthless. The guy's a walking goddamn cheat-code for real life.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Opter posted:

You'll like the next chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Murata updated with a redraw of the most recent chapter (plus the end of the arc), and I really really like the approach that Murata took to changing the punch that took out the Sea King.

For readers of ONE's version, this is where Murata is finally getting to where the translations started.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Murata updated with a redraw of the most recent chapter (plus the end of the arc), and I really really like the approach that Murata took to changing the punch that took out the Sea King.

...to be honest, I like the old one more. He had the goofiest "OH poo poo" look then :(

Oh well, hoping they translate the part after it soon.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Wait, why did everyone move from the dome to being out in the street?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was the second half of the chapter in the original translated release? I don't remember it at all. While I miss exploding arm, god drat the rain effects on that page after the initial punch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

No, the second half wasn't in, the original ended at the Sea King toppling over and dying.

And yes, the shockwaves shattering windows and pushing away rain. :allears:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

While I miss exploding arm, god drat the rain effects on that page after the initial punch.

Same. I like the original art for the punch and the redraw for the following shockwave.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/190442/onepunch-man_ch27_by_boon-scanlation
http://boonscanlations.blogspot.com/2013/08/opm-chapter-27-new.html

Now the translation is out as well. One of my personal favorite scenes in the series!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Well, poo poo, Saitama :smith:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Nahxela posted:

Well, poo poo, Saitama :smith:

My feelings exactly. The man does not give a poo poo what others think of him, but drat if he doesn't have a heart as mighty as his fist.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Liar posted:

My feelings exactly. The man does not give a poo poo what others think of him, but drat if he doesn't have a heart as mighty as his fist.

He is the most spectacular hero of our times.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I love how this oracle apparently didn't notice the giant space rock.

I gotta say, I'm much more pleased with Saitama purposely turning people against him in order to keep their faith in the heroes than some silly handwave about how the organisation gave most of the credit to other heroes because ~reasons~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It shows how much heart Saitama has, even when these douchebags try to take him down.

He really is a hero. :unsmith: