Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Ishamael posted:

-Mr. Jones, I am going to spread your buttocks so I can see your tailbone.

It's weird doing VO sometimes.

Thats pretty funny.

I was just trying to find the VO I did for the Psychichelp and Doctorshelp websites. It looks like those sites are both gone. So sad. Nothing like doing a sales pitch to Psychics.

I just booked more Spotify gigs lasy week. Did a couple of things for Jim Beam. It was the 1st time I've gotten the direction to "Bro out and be douchey"

Luckily thats in my wheelhouse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have learned I am not so good at editing doing this.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

This is the first time I've done anything like this. Please be brutally honest. :ohdear:

I try and show off a range of voices, and one attempt at an accent.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I have learned I am not so good at editing doing this.

I'm finding a lot of pulling in your performance. A stop and go quality. Instead of a needed and subtle buildup to things like "Intense!" you go at a normal pace and then oomf into certain words jarringly. You also aren't giving quite the attitude needed to sell this kind of advert. How am I supposed to be even marginally excited unless your reading is 100% convinced that this event CAN NOT BE MISSED.

There is a fair amount of room echo that can be heard, and it's thinning your voice out and making it much less impactful. I'm a sucker for the SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! style voice, and maybe that's just me, but I feel like having a voice that is booming from inside my head telling me (with gratuitous low end) that I must see this event at the Willy Knack Insurance Arena just works. If that's a bit too far, the attitude of those performances has a lot to gleen from at the very least.

Also, do you consider this "final quality"? Have you done everything you can to make it as good as possible? Editing is a pain absolutely but there's a few areas where you have odd pauses or things that should be retaken. I'm not sure on the purpose, if it's practice you'll be heading in the right direction. If it's to show to others you do have some more you can do to clean it up.

Keep at it! :3

KiddieGrinder posted:

This is the first time I've done anything like this. Please be brutally honest. :ohdear:

I try and show off a range of voices, and one attempt at an accent.

The quality of the recording varies quite a bit. The biggest issue is that you need a windscreen. You can make that by stretching a leg of pantyhose over a frame that you can stand up freely or hold. That will remove the puffs you get from your plosives. Things like p's and f's. Helpful Google Link. That should give you plenty of ideas.

I'd say that "accents" and "voices" are almost the same thing. Their goals are very similar, an alteration in not only what you say, but how your mouth moves physically. That said I've talked about accents before and so I'll just quote that for right now. There's a bit of a "nice" tangent at the end, but I feel it is still appropriate.

JossiRossi posted:

Be very careful not to fall into an accent trap. Doing good accents, real accents, requires either training or rather extensive experience with a particular accent. Otherwise your silly voices and accents will simply be hodge podge combos of what others use in pop culture. When someone says, "Indian Accent" they typically mean "I can sound like Apu." Don't get me wrong I'm not discouraging you from trying things out, but I'd highly suggest refining what might be more your natural voice first. Beyond that, it's just a matter of practice. As for people who are good at this worrying you, it's really ok. No one here who has ever put their voice up would give you a thrashing for giving things a try. We've all been there. Also if you want to get good enough to be confident, well you will need some straight talk about your work. I've acted since high school and the best advice has always been the most direct and straight forward. If it is bad, tell me. If it is good, pat me on the back and remind me I could have done better. We can do that, and with no malice. If you were so bad as to be worthless, well honestly we'd not spend the time trying to help.

You'll want to start over on a demo, but really you'll just want more practice before that happens. I'd much rather hear a longer example of good voice over work instead of a wide range of poor to middling work. I would strive to develop your normal voice and then begin to branch out. I never noticed it as it was happening but if you practice a lot, you'll gain stronger and more minute control of your throat, lungs, and facial muscles. I'm by no means in a place to do "voices" but when I joke with my friends I find myself making sounds and altering my voice in ways I never could years ago.

CuddleChunks posted:

Pro Tip for folks new to the thread: [...] JossiRossi
LIES.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Here I am, doing a monologue I'm considering doing for an audition.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't plan on becoming a Voice Actor or anything, but I figure that this is the best thread for the question I have.

How do I improve my voice? I've heard myself recorded over the years, on messages I leave on the answering machine, on recordings I've made of game sessions with my friends and the like, and I just dislike the sound of my voice. I have a very high pitched, reedy sort of voice, for a man, and occasionally I'm even mistaken for a woman by strangers.

Are there any tips from the experienced voice crowd at generally sounding better? Any exercises I could do? Some kind of change in breathing?

EDIT: Sample.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 24, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

DrSunshine posted:

How do I improve my voice? I've heard myself recorded over the years, on messages I leave on the answering machine, on recordings I've made of game sessions with my friends and the like, and I just dislike the sound of my voice. I have a very high pitched, reedy sort of voice, for a man, and occasionally I'm even mistaken for a woman by strangers.

Are there any tips from the experienced voice crowd at generally sounding better? Any exercises I could do? Some kind of change in breathing?

I drink and smoke a lot and I sound rad but I can't recommend it in good conscience.

I will say that while you do kind of sound like the super-skinny comedy friend on a teen show and it is difficult to get all the nuance of your vocal features from that recording, I liked your voice. It seemed to have some texture and an interesting range, and it seems to me that your ability to emote is already better than mine.

Have you done high school drama or community theater or something? Your reading of the "Confession" piece on your tindeck makes me think you have, but if not I would recommend looking in to it. Stage acting and singing are ways to develop your voice and ability to project.

E: The other point I meant to make regarding your voice is that I think we all feel some level of discomfort at hearing recordings of ourselves. It took me a while before I could even bring myself to listen to the things I was recording. I didn't like the way I said "yer" for your, "kin" for can, etc., and it made me hate the sound of my own voice.

titties fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 24, 2013

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
All my life I have been told I have a great voice, I have worked several phone operator jobs and the compliments I got where seriously numerous - a couple of people even asked me if I was interested in voice work and offered their emails/websites, and it left me wondering for years. Of course, now I am ultra self conscious and worried that maybe people were just being overly nice or that maybe I lucked into it.

Recently a friend gave me his (barely) used Blue Yeti mic and told me to go wild with it, so any tips for someone who is incredibly intimidated now they have run out of excuses to try something that they have been lead to believe they are naturally good at? :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

titties posted:

I drink and smoke a lot and I sound rad but I can't recommend it in good conscience.

I will say that while you do kind of sound like the super-skinny comedy friend on a teen show and it is difficult to get all the nuance of your vocal features from that recording, I liked your voice. It seemed to have some texture and an interesting range, and it seems to me that your ability to emote is already better than mine.

Yes, that's right! That's exactly what I hate about it!!

quote:

Have you done high school drama or community theater or something? Your reading of the "Confession" piece on your tindeck makes me think you have, but if not I would recommend looking in to it. Stage acting and singing are ways to develop your voice and ability to project.

Oh gee! Um. Oops. I forgot that you could go into my other tindeck stuff. :blush: I didn't really mean to show off all the other stuff!!

That was mostly just miscellaneous tidbits that I recorded for the benefit of some of my friends who I collaborate with on creative stuff. I'm the writer for a comic, and I was reading things like "confession" just to give my artist friend some ideas of the kind of "performance" a character would give. Reading the lines out loud sometimes helps him visualize a character's delivery and emotions.

But anyway, to answer your question no, I haven't done any stage drama since when I was a little kid. I have terrible stage fright.

titties
May 10, 2012

a cock shaped fruit posted:

All my life I have been told I have a great voice, I have worked several phone operator jobs and the compliments I got where seriously numerous - a couple of people even asked me if I was interested in voice work and offered their emails/websites, and it left me wondering for years. Of course, now I am ultra self conscious and worried that maybe people were just being overly nice or that maybe I lucked into it.

Recently a friend gave me his (barely) used Blue Yeti mic and told me to go wild with it, so any tips for someone who is incredibly intimidated now they have run out of excuses to try something that they have been lead to believe they are naturally good at? :ohdear:

Read the OP. Read it into your microphone. Read anything. Report back.

One time, I read this:

It was really, really bad. The forums liked it anyway.

E:

DrSunshine posted:

I'm the writer for a comic, and I was reading things like "confession" just to give my artist friend some ideas of the kind of "performance" a character would give. Reading the lines out loud sometimes helps him visualize a character's delivery and emotions.

But anyway, to answer your question no, I haven't done any stage drama since when I was a little kid. I have terrible stage fright.

Well, I still thought your reading was good and the sound of your voice doesn't make me angry. Like I said before, I don't think anyone likes the sound of their voice from an unfamiliar perspective. There really is a marked difference between the way you sound to yourself and the way you sound to others, thanks to the way that sound propagates and interacts with matter.

titties fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 24, 2013

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

DrSunshine posted:

I don't plan on becoming a Voice Actor or anything, but I figure that this is the best thread for the question I have.

Rather than trying to change your voice, which will make you sound strange and unnatural, instead be honest and listen to your voice. See where your voice fits in the spectrum of voiceover, and go for jobs that fit your voice. There are roles for every type of voice, so figure out which ones work for you.

I have a fairly young-sounding voice, so as much as I might wish, I will never get the "Movie Trailer Guy"-type gigs. So instead I go for jobs where they want someone like me, and I have been working a lot since doing that. It's hard to be honest with yourself, but you can do it.

So I would say, don't try to fix your voice, but instead try to hear your voice like it was a stranger's voice and figure out what type of roles you would be right for!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Ishamael posted:

Rather than trying to change your voice, which will make you sound strange and unnatural, instead be honest and listen to your voice. See where your voice fits in the spectrum of voiceover, and go for jobs that fit your voice. There are roles for every type of voice, so figure out which ones work for you.

I have a fairly young-sounding voice, so as much as I might wish, I will never get the "Movie Trailer Guy"-type gigs. So instead I go for jobs where they want someone like me, and I have been working a lot since doing that. It's hard to be honest with yourself, but you can do it.

So I would say, don't try to fix your voice, but instead try to hear your voice like it was a stranger's voice and figure out what type of roles you would be right for!

This is really good advice, I can't really think of too much else to add honestly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ishamael posted:

Well, as I said I'm not trying to become a Voice Actor, I'm just a guy trying to sound less like Steve Urkel, but that is very reassuring. Thanks. :)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

DrSunshine posted:

Well, as I said I'm not trying to become a Voice Actor, I'm just a guy trying to sound less like Steve Urkel, but that is very reassuring. Thanks. :)

Ah, well then just carry around one of those Darth Vader voice-changer masks. Bingo, problem SOLVED!

(and new problem created)

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
So, I just completed my first gig on ACX, It was a short story so the whole read was about 20 mins.

I'll let you folks know when it is available to sample / buy.

Just as a warning though, I did need to produce this all by myself, which I don't have a problem with. But it definitely wasn't just sending raw files to an editor.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This is only tangential to the thread but goddamn NPR needs to work on "mouth sounds". I was listening to some interview last night and all I could pay attention to was the constant saliva sounds coming from the guest and to a lesser extent the intolerable Terry Gross. Are they putting the mic too close?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is only tangential to the thread but goddamn NPR needs to work on "mouth sounds". I was listening to some interview last night and all I could pay attention to was the constant saliva sounds coming from the guest and to a lesser extent the intolerable Terry Gross. Are they putting the mic too close?

There's also a French reporter whose voice I can NOT stand. Her name is Eleanor Beardsley. I want to sit her down and just work on her inflections.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I can identify. As a musician, the more you learn about the nuts and bolts of your creative craft, the harder it is to just sit and enjoy something without being distracted by the technical.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Urgh. Brace yourselves, this is one hell of a boring story.

I am taking up the creation of Audiobooks as a hobby. Because it's really the only way to force me to practice in my constant lethargy in getting a goddamned job in this economy. I live in New Zealand, where the job market in the business sector died so far as entry-levels are concerned, with every Accounts Assistant job having up to 500 applicants and a short list of 80.

I wish I was joking.

This made me think of other career options - I had two things going for me, a fantastic voice with an accent nobody can place and a clever brain. People pressured me into getting into Radio or doing documentaries, and for a short period over last year I started taking lessons from Mike Drew of the BBC. Good man, seems to have it in for Tony Jay, no idea why. Also never seems to have heard of Jim Cummings. Does great documentaries, though, and voiced this old three musketeers thing.

Anyway, I was still clever enough to realise that I wasn't going to get work as a VA or a host. Not only do radiohosts get poo poo pay here, but the tuition to get official 'You won't gently caress up on air' credentials is aprox $10,000 over two semesters. gently caress that noise.

So I decided to take up VA as a hobby - Maybe do a few cartoons and games here so my little brothers can say 'Naba voiced *insert side character/extra here* in *indie title X*' and maybe get a few bucks on the side. I check out a couple of spots to get some exposure (Nothing domestic exists) and ended up at a spot called ACX.com; I do a slight ripoff by doing my best impression of Sindri Myr's 'All power is sacrifice' speech and leave that as an example while I went to chase some other stuff.

I'd drat well forgotten about it until I get two offers in the same day. The second was actually a well written novel about two brothers in Victorian England, with homosexual overtones. The first...

... Is dross less than what I would consider well written. In fact, I'm pretty sure the author knows it's shite somewhat less than editted too, because he didn't send me the script to inspect before I'd accepted his offer, instead directing me to this amazon review of the published book which held... two reviews. This had warning bells go off, but hey, it's exposure and a history. All good actors have bad movies, right?

It's this first story I want to talk about. The characters aren't interesting (Either being a Gary Stu, a grey love interest or a walking stereotype based on race and sexuality), the story is contrived and ARGH. I've agreed to finish it and upload it before the 31st, but for the love of god I don't really know if I want to finish this and have it stain me.

Does anyone else have bad experiences with terrible material that they could share? I wanna put this into perspective.

e: I decided to get into English Teaching as a career. What? I have good enunciation.

e e: Also I received the goddamn script three months ago and I'm polishing it off now because uuuuuugh it's horrible and I'd just bought Skyrim.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 29, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

WarpedNaba posted:

Does anyone else have bad experiences with terrible material that they could share? I wanna put this into perspective.

e: I decided to get into English Teaching as a career. What? I have good enunciation.

e e: Also I received the goddamn script three months ago and I'm polishing it off now because uuuuuugh it's horrible and I'd just bought Skyrim.

You already agreed to do it and you're getting paid. Realize that voicework is actually work and not always fun. Suck it up and get it over with.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Finally was able to sit down and get this Summerset Hills abomination out.

I tried to limit editing as much as possible and took takes until I could get the thing out in a single take only editing breaths. Tried to limit the Mr. Radio voice as much as possible

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

blackswordca posted:

Finally was able to sit down and get this Summerset Hills abomination out.

I tried to limit editing as much as possible and took takes until I could get the thing out in a single take only editing breaths. Tried to limit the Mr. Radio voice as much as possible

Re-record and don't worry about length. It's impossible and a waste of time to critique anything when it's crammed in like this. Once you upload a new sample, myself (or others) are happy to go more in-depth with any problems that you might have.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I've got a mic (SM57 clone) and a reel-to-reel recorder that's my closest thing to a pre-amp right now. It sounds pretty decent when I record onto tape and play back, but it's probably better to skip the tape step and run the monitor output directly to a computer. My computer room is kind of small to fit the recorder and mic stand, plus it has fan noise. Is it totally insane to record the monitor output of the recorder into my laptop as a simple WAV, then later transfer it to my desktop for processing?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Some more details on your gear would be nice. I've not heard of a reel to reel that just hooks up to a computer for instance.

What you are doing sounds totally insane though. Like buying even a cheap USB interface would cut out like all your steps.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Some more details on your gear would be nice. I've not heard of a reel to reel that just hooks up to a computer for instance.

What you are doing sounds totally insane though. Like buying even a cheap USB interface would cut out like all your steps.

Ok the reel to reel has RCA stereo output for speakers. I can convert that to a 1/8" stereo plug for recording on a PC.

Actually the fan noise in here is sufficiently minimal that I could possibly bring the recorder into my computer room and run a line directly from the recorder to the desktop. This would save me the trouble of recording raw audio onto the laptop and using scp to get it to my desktop for editing.

When you use a pre-amp for recording, is it generally workable to take the pre-amp output and send it to your 1/8" line-in input on your desktop? Or will you want a more specialized input device?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok the reel to reel has RCA stereo output for speakers. I can convert that to a 1/8" stereo plug for recording on a PC.

Actually the fan noise in here is sufficiently minimal that I could possibly bring the recorder into my computer room and run a line directly from the recorder to the desktop. This would save me the trouble of recording raw audio onto the laptop and using scp to get it to my desktop for editing.

When you use a pre-amp for recording, is it generally workable to take the pre-amp output and send it to your 1/8" line-in input on your desktop? Or will you want a more specialized input device?

Ultimately it sounds like there are lots of places that you can introduce issues with your current set up. For instance you could easily add electromagnetic noise from the signal that goes RtR -> PC. It sounds like you are just using an onboard input or an audio card, both of which are often noisy themselves. For that stereo wire, that is an unbalanced line. Meaning that if you pass the wire through an electrical field, you'll likely hear it. I'll go into Balanced/Unbalanced below for fun.

Your needs really are going to be based on what you want to actually do with your gear. If you want to do something professional, then you'll want to snag a cheap USB interface with an XLR input (as long as your mic uses XLR cables). Throwing money at the wall is never a good idea, so you need to be sure you want to do this. One of these guys would do the trick if you don't have huge needs: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEH302USB Obviously shop around though. This will let you cut out both the reel to reel (which is awesome that you have but using in this manner is a bit silly) and the in computer sound card which I feel always causes problems. Instead the interface will do both the preamp work and the Analog to Digital conversion.

Technically there is nothing wrong with your set up. If they audio gets to its destination in a usable form that's what is important, but I simply can not imagine that it is going to be a very clean signal. In your case though you will HAVE to have a preamp boost the signal off your dynamic microphone before getting it to your computers sound card. It's just as I have repeated rarely do these onboard sound cards really do a great job, too much electromagnetic noise from the surrounding computer, and the lack of decent hardware to do the actual job itself.

Now, who is ready to learn!?

Balanced/Unbalanced Cables
Balanced and Unbalanced have to do with a trick that is used when an audio signal hits an interface. Before the Microphone Pre-Amplifier (micpre) the signal gets treated. So this is going to VASTLY simplify the workings of mics. Basically there is a coil in the mic that interacts with the direct input of the mic. So your tiny voice signals pass through a coil that is right next to second coil. The ratio of these coils boosts the signal strength I believe. This second coil is what connects to your cables. This coil sends out 2 signals. One on the "hot" wire, and one on the "cold". The signals are equal but opposite waveforms.

^v^v^v
v^v^v^

When one is up the other is down. If these waveforms were to be combined, they would cancel each other out. So over our mic cables we have 2 equal but opposite signals. But there's an issue. You introduce noise in your cables. The most common is probably from electrical gear. Power is typically oscillating at 60hz. This is well within human range of hearing, so you've all probably heard it when you move a power cable too close to a speaker. Let's say you put your mic cable next to a power cable. You are now introducing 60 hz of noise to both of your signals.

^v^v^v(NOISE)
v^v^v^(NOISE)

The noise would actually be layered into the actual signal itself, but for visual clarity it's tagged onto the end. So now our mic signal is finally hitting an interface and a micpre. Before it does that it needs to combine these two equal but opposite signals. As stated before though if you combine them as is, they cancel out. The positive voltages are canceled by the negative. So the solution? Flip the polarity of one of the signals. So all positives become negative, all negative become positive. You now have two equal and identical signals that you can combine to double the signal. However, before the noise introduced was equal and identical, but you flipped one signal. So

v^v^v^(NOISE)
v^v^v^(OPPOSITE OF ORIGINAL NOISE)

You have signal+noise, and signal+antinoise. When you combine them you are left only with the original signal! This is what it means for a cable to be balanced. Any unbalanced cable simply transmits a signal once and doesn't do much else. So any noise added ultimately exists at it's destination. An example of balanced cables are XLR (ground, left, right) or mono used TRS (tip, ring, sleeve). Examples of unbalanced cables are TS (tip, sleeve) or stereo used TRS. Unfortunately you can't just "use balanced cables" if you are getting noise issues as that's a function of the equipment you are using ultimately, not the cables themselves keep in mind.

Extra Reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector#Three_pin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio
http://mpe.berklee.edu/documents/articles/nuts_bolts/04_mic_transducer_designs.pdf

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Hey fellas, here is my first successful ACX project. to prove further that it isn't a scam.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_2_5?asin=B00EE8QDWI&qid=1376064136&sr=2-5

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ChaosTheory posted:

Hey fellas, here is my first successful ACX project. to prove further that it isn't a scam.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_2_5?asin=B00EE8QDWI&qid=1376064136&sr=2-5

:hfive: Congratulations! Sounds good, man.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

Ultimately it sounds like there are lots of places that you can introduce issues with your current set up. For instance you could easily add electromagnetic noise from the signal that goes RtR -> PC. It sounds like you are just using an onboard input or an audio card, both of which are often noisy themselves. For that stereo wire, that is an unbalanced line. Meaning that if you pass the wire through an electrical field, you'll likely hear it. I'll go into Balanced/Unbalanced below for fun.

Your needs really are going to be based on what you want to actually do with your gear. If you want to do something professional, then you'll want to snag a cheap USB interface with an XLR input (as long as your mic uses XLR cables). Throwing money at the wall is never a good idea, so you need to be sure you want to do this. One of these guys would do the trick if you don't have huge needs: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEH302USB Obviously shop around though. This will let you cut out both the reel to reel (which is awesome that you have but using in this manner is a bit silly) and the in computer sound card which I feel always causes problems. Instead the interface will do both the preamp work and the Analog to Digital conversion.

Technically there is nothing wrong with your set up. If they audio gets to its destination in a usable form that's what is important, but I simply can not imagine that it is going to be a very clean signal. In your case though you will HAVE to have a preamp boost the signal off your dynamic microphone before getting it to your computers sound card. It's just as I have repeated rarely do these onboard sound cards really do a great job, too much electromagnetic noise from the surrounding computer, and the lack of decent hardware to do the actual job itself.

Ok, I had all the stuff lying around so I plugged everything in and tried recording; please forgive my nasally voice as I'm coming out of a cold:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kirz

Not surprisingly, it sounds like crap. I tried running it through noise removal, but you still get little bits of that high-frequency junk popping in when I'm speaking.

Oh well. The interesting thing is that I've never noticed this noise when using the reel to reel normally, only when attempting to record onto my computer.

Edit: actually, frequency analysis followed by a low-pass filter set at 11 kHz seems to have cleared it up a bit.

Second Edit: Ok, I tried recording to a tape, then playing back the tape and capturing the output to my computer. That works fine and sounds good, no hint of the high frequency noise. Interesting.

Triple Edit: I'm not really expecting help on this, I'm finding it fun to play with though and relaying my experiences here.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 10, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

I was able to sit down with my client this week and talk to her about the ad that I'm working on for their non-profit. During the conversation, I realized that I was going to need to do three spots, and once they're done they are almost certainly going to air.

Also, I had an interview with the oldest and most established studio in town (and probably the area) for my college internship. It went really well, and I'm pretty confident that they're going to bring me on. If I do well, the owner said that it would probably transfer into full-time work.

While the majority of the work would be for their event promotion company and not v/o related, he complimented me a few times on my voice and said that they could probably use me for a few spots, as well as helping me produce a demo and stuff.

This has me thinking about my future in v/o, as well as developing my recording space past a USB mic and Audacity. I did some shopping around and found equipment that I like and can afford, but this introduces some new worries.

Some of you have complimented the quality of the audio I've been able to produce with a USB mic and no acoustic treatment. What I'm putting out is useable. What are the chances that once I introduce a tube preamp and audio interface into the mix my sound quality will actually go straight to poo poo? I worry that all the fan noise and room echo that I've spent the last year learning how to eliminate will come back in force with the addition of new equipment and a marginally better mic (I'll probably just replace my Yeti with a Yeti pro).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I'd say to hold off for now. If you get this internship you'll have access to a studio and additional gear. Then you can explore using different equipment and if you think it is worth it. Personally I find having a treated space is great but I use it for more than just vocal work and that's the real stickler. I do sound effects and the occasional musical recording. For just voice, you really might not have any actual need. I will say though I typically very much prefer a clean initial recording to one that's been manipulated afterward to make it sound clean.

It's one of those things where you can usually get 80% there without a huge investment but the costs begin to rise pretty quick. Better mics, better editing suites, better plugins. It adds up to get closer and closer to 100% perfect sounding. Get better mics, then the room issues pop, treat the room and then you might as well get some better speakers, better sound lets you notice more issues with your mic. There's a hole in the bucket.

The fact is that if you feel what you have is usable then no need to drop money at it. Really if you are going to drop the money, you really might want to wait until you dedicate a space to it. Then go all nuts.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

JossiRossi posted:

I'd say to hold off for now. If you get this internship you'll have access to a studio and additional gear. Then you can explore using different equipment and if you think it is worth it. Personally I find having a treated space is great but I use it for more than just vocal work and that's the real stickler. I do sound effects and the occasional musical recording. For just voice, you really might not have any actual need. I will say though I typically very much prefer a clean initial recording to one that's been manipulated afterward to make it sound clean.

It's one of those things where you can usually get 80% there without a huge investment but the costs begin to rise pretty quick. Better mics, better editing suites, better plugins. It adds up to get closer and closer to 100% perfect sounding. Get better mics, then the room issues pop, treat the room and then you might as well get some better speakers, better sound lets you notice more issues with your mic. There's a hole in the bucket.

The fact is that if you feel what you have is usable then no need to drop money at it. Really if you are going to drop the money, you really might want to wait until you dedicate a space to it. Then go all nuts.

Truth.

Also too: Super last minute, but I'm holding a voicover seminar with Stevie Boothe, an assistant agent at AboutFace Talent agency in NYC, tomorrow night (Monday, August 12th) in midtown Manhattan. Stevie (and AboutFace) works with union and non-union talent for film, TV, commercial and voiceover bookings. After a Q&A, all attendees will get to read commercial voiceover copy in the VO booth, receive individualized feedback from both me and Stevie, and get professionally-recorded MP3s of their work. The seminar is held in a class-like setting, so everyone gets to benefit from everyone else's reads and feedback. Strictly limited to 14 participants. Visit http://www.listentomelanie.com/voiceoverclasses.html to register.

Cards on the table, I'm excited partially because I'd like to work with AboutFace myself--I have a few friends working with them and they all have great things to say about them. I definitely didn't realize the value of these classes (with agents and casting directors and the like) until a little later than would have been ideal--like, I'd have loved to have started going to these when I first got into VO so that when I was ready to go full-time these people already knew who I was, instead of starting a little late in that respect. Anyway, long post short, this kind of thing is an AWESOME opportunity for anyone interested in getting into voiceovers, improving their voiceover work, and/or seeking agency representation.

That said, I've noticed these one-night workshops garner a lot of interest, and I know a lot of people in not-NYC who have been interested--is that the kind of thing people here would be interested in seeing an online version of, or not really? I know a few casting directors and the like who I'm sure would be happy to set up an online seminar. I'd have to figure out logistics but if there's interest I'll look into putting together one or two (or maybe a series of them).

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Oh man. That sucks. I would have loved to come to this session. I have an important meeting at 8pm. What a drag.

In other news you may have been hearing me on Spotify again recently. I did a couple of Jim Beam spots in July and just did a Saints Row spot. I just got the Jim Beam one and thought I'd share it. I was disappointed they decided not to put a music track behind this one.

I am looking forward to hearing the Saints Row one. Its one of the only VO jobs I've ever had where they told me "Do what you did in the audition. We have no notes."

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

You going to kill Steve Blum and replace him?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
^

All you have to do is sound like Steve Blum and you can replace him. Seriously, the only voice Steve Blum does is Steve Blum.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

You going to kill Steve Blum and replace him?

I looked that guy up. He's a pretty big deal!

titties
May 10, 2012

EDIT:

I came up with this, which I like a lot better than the first:

I would still really like comments and super-harsh critiques on both versions, and I'd especially like to know which one is better / more appropriate. This one is also not useable as-is, since the music isn't royalty-free.

King Lou posted:

I looked that guy up. He's a pretty big deal!

Hey, I was going to assimilate Steve Blum. Don't make me throw down. Seriously, though, a Saints Row spot sounds amazing and I'm super jealous.

On the non-Steve-Blum-murder front, I've written and voiced the first spot for the clinic:

I am not happy with this. I really wanted a more gentle, caring, softer sort of delivery, but I couldn't do the read that way and get it out in 30s. This made the music I chose clash with the vocal, so I removed the music and now I have a spot that I kind of hate.

Do you all have any suggestions on what I can cut or other changes I can make to bring this more in line with the gentle and nurturing tone I have in my head?

titties fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 13, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

That said, I've noticed these one-night workshops garner a lot of interest, and I know a lot of people in not-NYC who have been interested--is that the kind of thing people here would be interested in seeing an online version of, or not really?

:downs: Heh, I'm one of the special folks who would love to see an online workshop because I'm still a little fuzzy on the whole "this is taking place IN NYC" thing that plagues your other events.

King Lou - I laughed at the "drink responsibly" line. I know you don't make up the ad copy for these but ahahahah, a jim beam ad trying to be all serious and socially responsible. "Now kids, we know yer just gonna get likkered up and hoot and holler but be sure and do it with yer friends and not just any old folks what happen to be around the trailer court." Great spot though, can't wait to hear your Saints Row ad!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I miiight have a project coming up I'll need voices for. Another Russian Half Life 2 mod dub (no pay :( sorry). I'm still discussing the project with the developer, his english is a bit weak so I want to get everything really ironed out before diving in. Also I can't tell if he wants Russian accents or not. Wanted to give a heads up though just so people know. I do know we'll be looking for 4 male and 2 female voices though. I'll post more once I know more!

Speaking of projects, I'd really like to work on a :siren:GOON PROJECT:siren: if anyone else is interested. I've done audio dramas before but want to work on something with all you so we can just get out an show people what we are capable, with the intent of tossing it into GBS and to give all of us some reel material and what not. My goal would be something around a half hour of created content. I'm more than happy to take point on the actual compilation and voice over assistance but the biggest hurdle would be a script. There's plenty of old plays in the public domain, or we could adapt something. I am partial to taking an older work an adapting myself. Older plays just often don't quite strike me. I want this to be a discussion though so if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm even open to having an original script created just for the project. Those take time though, and writing for audio only is a particular skill that not all writers have.

If we do this, we do it professional though. Deadlines, requirements, and reviews. This will be as much practice for our ability to commit as much as for the performances itself. In the end we could go over what we did, how we did, what could be improved, etc. Self review can be a fantastic tool. I know this thread can move pretty slow at times, and not terribly many people even know we are here. By making a few projects perhaps we can help change that. We have a lot of talent here and I'd love to be a part of showing that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up
Some news from my end! Haven't been on the forums for a bit because I've been busy! When I first joined the thread, I mentioned that I had been recruited by a company called Bee Audio and that I was a little hesitant to work with them because they were on the SAG/AFTRA black list for paying below union minimum. Well, that's changed! They signed an agreement with the union and everything is all hunky dory. They now pay $150 per finished hour (union minimum) for new narrators and the amount you get after that goes up depending on the publisher of the book that you're reading. I just finished book #6 with them, officially catapulting me into the world of a "veteran narrator".

So, if, like me you were recruited off ACX by Bee Audio, go for it! They have their union mess worked out and it's about the best way to narrate that I can imagine. They have a staff of proofers and editors and producers, so all you do is the narration. All the work I've been doing over the past couple months has really helped me to be more efficient, so I'm at something like a 1.5 to 1 ratio of hours worked to finished hours, meaning a 10 hour book that I can read in less than a week pays me more than I make at my real full time job in two weeks.

Let me know your questions and I will answer them! It's a really cool gig if you can get it and I'd be more than happy to let you all know everything about it if you're interested.

Here's a link to my work on Audible: http://www.audible.com/search/ref=s...ield-format-bin