Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Reservoir Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Zodiac had some cool packaging.

Zodiac: A movie where for three hours, nothing happens, has no action, and a (knowledgable) audience knows the ending in advance and somehow it still manages to be great.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

zenintrude posted:

This is the best DVD packaging ever and I will not be convinced otherwise.

StickySweater posted:

Zodiac: A movie where for three hours, nothing happens, has no action, and a (knowledgable) audience knows the ending in advance and somehow it still manages to be great.

No kidding. The best part is the scene with Charles Fleischer. It's great because you know that Graysmith isn't in any real danger and gets out of that scene because he writes the book, but the tension in that scene is so great you completely forget about all that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

StickySweater posted:

Lots of things happened, most importantly multiple investigations into the murders. Just because the investigations aren't "successful" doesn't make them any less interesting.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StickySweater posted:

To be fair it does have the murders. The Zodiac murders in the movie are really loving good. The stabbing picnic is one of the most uncomfortable murders in any movie because of how many conventions it breaks in terms of typical murder scenes.

The most incredible thing about Zodiac was how much CGI is in it. I watched the film a dozen times before finding out they used CGI in the murder scenes. Also the "Original Grand Theft Auto" car overhead shot I just thought was a well done helicopter shot or something. It's pure CGI. Such a smart use of CGI.

For most of it though? Yeah it's just people talking. Sometimes not even talking about the Zodiac murder itself and it's still intense. Zodiac, There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men. What a great year for movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I thought it looked fine. I have that exact release and yeah, the cover is lazy (and the actual case is really skinny and flimsy to boot) but I can't not love the Blu-Ray release because of the "Never Been Kissed" gag.

I love that gag, but the movie itself isn't grainy enough. Fight Club is just one of those movies I think should look as lovely as possible. Watching it on a 2nd or 3rd generation VHS is the ideal way to watch Fight Club.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TheJoker138 posted:

I love that gag, but the movie itself isn't grainy enough. Fight Club is just one of those movies I think should look as lovely as possible. Watching it on a 2nd or 3rd generation VHS is the ideal way to watch Fight Club.

Probably a question for the Bluray thread, but since you're talking about it - is there actually a problem with the Fight Club transfer? I've not watched it on blu yet. I can't imagine Fincher would scrub it with heaps of DNR though?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Lizard Combatant posted:

Probably a question for the Bluray thread, but since you're talking about it - is there actually a problem with the Fight Club transfer? I've not watched it on blu yet. I can't imagine Fincher would scrub it with heaps of DNR though?

No, it's fine. I think TheJoke138 just finds it thematically unfitting for Fight Club to have a nice looking HD transfer.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Not sure what counts as special edition but I'm going to post these anyways:

Memento

I have this edition, and I loving love the packaging, but they keep the theme through the menus and it makes it a real loving chore to watch the movie.

Instead of being presented with like, "play" "language" "video" "special features" or something to that effect, the screen is just a big list of psychological disorders and you have to choose like, "amnesia" to go to the scenes

(it's been like three years since I've actually gotten the DVD out so I'm not being completely accurate)

(for real though it's neat but sucks)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DetoxP posted:

No, it's fine. I think TheJoke138 just finds it thematically unfitting for Fight Club to have a nice looking HD transfer.

This exactly. There's not a lot of DNR, but there is slightly less grain than on the DVD release. It looks fantastic by all objective standards as far as the transfer though, but that just feels wrong to me.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

Well, the film "glitches" would be more authentic. I had my first viewing of Fight Club ruined by someone who paused it the moment Brad Pitt blipped onto the screen and he said "this is important, remember this!". Fucker.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: /\/\/\ that's the worst person kind of person after 'asks questions currently being explained on screen'.

TheJoker138 posted:

This exactly. There's not a lot of DNR, but there is slightly less grain than on the DVD release. It looks fantastic by all objective standards as far as the transfer though, but that just feels wrong to me.

Figured it was something like that, but the way you specifically mentioned the grain got me worried. drat I hate DNR.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 13, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tliil posted:

Well, the film "glitches" would be more authentic. I had my first viewing of Fight Club ruined by someone who paused it the moment Brad Pitt blipped onto the screen and he said "this is important, remember this!". Fucker.

See I had a girlfriend ask me if we saw Pitt when the narrator asks himself if he could wake up as a different person and I just played dumb like I didn't know. It's a crime to not let people figure it out themselves.

The only person I rewind or pause for is my mother because she misses stuff all of the time then asks later. Which I just realized was strange because she has a Sherlock Holmes ability to figure out whodunit's. Anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It used to be in my family we never answered my mother's questions about whats going on in the film figuring that she'd get it sooner or later. When we rented Momento years back my mother had such trouble understanding it she couldn't grasp what happened for three viewings. Eventually she figured out how to unlock the secret version of the movie on the DVD (the one that plays in chronological order) and only then did she understand what had happened in the movie. We discovered this when we awoke the next day and she had stayed up all night watching the movie over and over again.

We, uh, we pause movies now and explain to her whats happening.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hewlett posted:

I have that Fight Club DVD, and it holds even more special significance for me since I bought it with a friend of mine who got me into slightly artier film in high school, who recently died in a car accident. :smith:

If he got you into artier films, why was he buying drek with you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Sockser posted:

I have this edition, and I loving love the packaging, but they keep the theme through the menus and it makes it a real loving chore to watch the movie.

Instead of being presented with like, "play" "language" "video" "special features" or something to that effect, the screen is just a big list of psychological disorders and you have to choose like, "amnesia" to go to the scenes

(it's been like three years since I've actually gotten the DVD out so I'm not being completely accurate)

(for real though it's neat but sucks)

The first disc is fairly simple.. that second disc is a bitch though.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

LeJackal posted:

a) Fight Club's not dreck, b) it wasn't Criterion-level poo poo necessarily, but even just things that weren't blockbusters or Adam Sandler comedies like everyone else in my small farm town was watching (like Titus and Ed Wood; even Tarantino stuff was pretty rare), and c) gently caress you, stop being a jerk.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LeJackal posted:

Is it a cool guy thing to do to poo poo-talk the taste of a poster's dead friend? Need to know this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The "film coming off the reel"-effect in Fight Club is nice, but considering how much effort Fincher puts into the home media releases of his films (or at least how much he can keep the studio from loving up) I was surprised they didn't change that to be some kind of a "disc-breakage" thing or something for DVD and Blu-Ray. Hell, Gremlins 2 did it for reel, VHS and DVD! :v: Then again film reels do tie in with the movie somewhat so there's that.

I do kind of agree that the actual transfer could've been a bit grainier but it's not that big of a loss. The movie itself is (deliberately) incredibly underlit, too, and at least they didn't "fix" that for home media. The Zodiac 2-disc Director's Cut Blu-Ray is fantastic in every way. The cover is remarkably creepy and the film is one of my favorites. The special features cover just about everything there is to know about the Zodiac, too. Cool stuff. And yeah, the amount of CGI used in the movie (aside from the blood, really) is excellent. Subtlety is key and Fincher is drat near the master of subtle CGI.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
I'm sure this has been posted before but here's some love for Noriyoshi Ohrai:

No idea what that's for but it's cool.

Godzilla Vs. Mothra

Future War 198X, some anime

Star Wars V (I think)

EDIT: one of those was a big scan

angelfisher fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 14, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

angelfisher posted:

Eastworld?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
It's a book cover for a novel by Sakyo Komatsu, though that's all I know.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

LeJackal posted:

The word is "dreck" (which Fight Club certainly is not) you insufferable tool.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

angelfisher posted:

Godzilla Vs. Mothra

Future War 198X, some anime

Star Wars V (I think)

EDIT: one of those was a big scan

These are amazing and I'd hang all of them.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Again... too easy right?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

joedevola posted:

Again... too easy right?

Probably too easy, I could figure it out from the thumbnail and I'm not even very good at movie posters. I dunno how hard a pub quiz is supposed to be though.
(also possessive "its" does not use an apostrophe, in case there are any grammar nazis at the pub quiz you want to impress)

VVV Seedge has a good point, they're certainly fun if not necessarily challenging.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 14, 2013

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

joedevola posted:

Again... too easy right?

Is your goal to challenge film enthusiasts or make a pub full of inebriated friends chuckle and guffaw at some fun remakes of recognisable posters? Because you're doing a good job if joy is your goal.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Woebin posted:

Probably too easy, I could figure it out from the thumbnail and I'm not even very good at movie posters. I dunno how hard a pub quiz is supposed to be though.
(also possessive "its" does not use an apostrophe, in case there are any grammar nazis at the pub quiz you want to impress)

VVV Seedge has a good point, they're certainly fun if not necessarily challenging.

I'm an English teacher by profession, so thanks for spotting that.

Last time I did it the highest score was 15 out of 30, so I'm leaning towards easier questions this time.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

zenintrude posted:

Which was done first by Borat:

It's dumb, but every time I see the off-brand DVD I laugh.

Is life? No. Demorez.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I dig the art on this but I think it ruins the film's tilt moment a little. Even having seen trailers with blue lights coming out of eyes and mouths I wasn't really ready for a decapitation in the gents.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/seinfeld-movie-posters/

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

soapgish posted:

Have some posters for the fake flicks from SEINFELD, I guess.

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/seinfeld-movie-posters/

Really want someone who has a lot of money and gone crazy to make movies for those posters, as they are spectacular.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 6, 2014

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

But Seinfeld took place in the late eighties, Abigail Breslin wasn't even a fetus yet, Neil Blomcamp wasn't a director, George Clooney wasn't a respected actor, those posters are all wrong.

During the 9 years that show was running, Clooney did indeed become a respected actor. And it didn't take place in the late eighties, it started then but ended in 98.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

boom boom boom posted:

But Seinfeld took place in the late eighties, Abigail Breslin wasn't even a fetus yet, Neil Blomcamp wasn't a director, George Clooney wasn't a respected actor, those posters are all wrong.

The point was that they were reimagining the movies as if they were made today. They say so themselves.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

There's just no way anyone but Tinto Brass directed Rochelle Rochelle.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 6, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

boom boom boom posted:

That's a complete waste of time then.

OH MY GOD LIGHTEN UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

boom boom boom posted:

That's a complete waste of time then.

Counterpoint: Death Blow with Channing Tatum and Jason Statham looks amazing and I want to watch it right now.