Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The best part about this is that you actually hacked the Matrix. If the admins had any amount of self-awareness they should have made your antics canon.

Rarebit didn't really have that sort of power. I played MXO on and off with a college friend at the time, and while Rarebit was a fantastic guy who did fantastic work SOE actually kept him on a fairly short leash because they didn't want him to be SO good as to raise expectations for the game. They knew pretty much when they bought it for a song that the game was doomed, they were really just hoping to wring enough money out of the game to make it worth it before they took it behind the shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The best part about this is that you actually hacked the Matrix. If the admins had any amount of self-awareness they should have made your antics canon.

Loved that aspect as well.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

So a pretty cool guy kept this MMO running for you guys entirely by himself, including creating and running RP events for you, for months, and you repaid him by abusing admin powers until he probably got fired? Go you! Way to stick it to those pubbies!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That was his job dude. I would also be interested in more stories, its not often you get people breaking into admin powers and actually having decent stories about it. Not sure why its even a debate for more of these stories, this thread exists for them.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

megane posted:

So a pretty cool guy kept this MMO running for you guys entirely by himself, including creating and running RP events for you, for months, and you repaid him by abusing admin powers until he probably got fired? Go you! Way to stick it to those pubbies!

He was actually mulling over leaving to start what he wanted to do, which was a web comic, for quite a while. It's likely he was going to leave at about that time anyway. Keeping up the game was really getting to him in terms of stress, and it was actually to the end of the storyline he was trying to do. He clearly had a point where he was going to quit in mind. There's a lot that really gets not told in all this, years of information. We also discussed in our group to absolutely not grief his events when he held them, and he held them every week day.

I met the man at an SOE fanfaire(actually a couple of weeks after being banned by his request) and he was a chill dude. From everything we were getting from the little bits of information from him, he was just getting worn out being the one man development team. I have the utmost respect for him for keeping the game going, and knowing when to move on.

He also did not by any means get fired for our actions. They brought in a developer that worked on MXO when they bought it that was working on another SOE project to patch what we were doing. He was not a coder, he very rarely coded, and he would not be held responsible for the code in the game.

He seems to be doing great and seems happy now doing his webcomic.

I'll talk with my friends from MXO and see if we've got any good stories that we can share. Honestly the admin ability story I thought would grab attention, be the easiest to understand with as little backstory as possible. It isn't the best story of grief and tears, only the flashiest and something I had screenshots to show for.

Zudrag fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 12, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just an update on the brief story I mentioned a few pages back (I'll just quote it):

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a wow addon called Speakinspell, which will basically yell out (or some variation of communication) whatever you want when you activate a spell. This was, I assume, made so that when you activate Bloodlust or some kind of aoe healing, you can announce it to everyone.

Anyway, one of Goon Squad's tanks has been using it recently and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen. He yells a different thing every time he uses an ability. And all of them are misspelled RP-esque interpretations of exactly what he's using.

I AM LEACHING THE LIFE FROM MY FOES!!!!
I AM SUMONING A DEAD ARMY!!!!
etc.

So the chat is completely unreadable as a result because he's /yelling something every second (or less). There's an easy fix here (just take /yell out of your chat box), but that apparently is too complicated so instead the random people in the raid yell at him and try to kick him (which they can't because the majority of the raid is other members of goon squad).

He recently changed everything to Raid Warnings instead of yells, which flash on your screen and make a loud noise. If he isn't banned for it I'll be incredibly surprised.

I keep trying to take a picture but I always forget because I'm laughing so hard.

He then got muted by the GMs, supposedly pending investigation. He was apparently reported by roughly 300 players, which is impressive when a raid's only got 25 people in it.

Well, he's not muted anymore. But that hasn't stopped him from using it. He's adjusted his timing so it's only once every five seconds, in an effort to not make pubbies mad. They still got mad, of course, so then I decided to step up. Last time I ran something with him, I made sure I was the raid leader. I don't have speakinspell set up normally like he does, so generally people don't notice.

Until, that is, I pop Bloodlust. When I pop Bloodlust, I blare the complete lyrics to Power by Kanye West over raid warnings. (And if you've never seen raid warnings, it's giant text in the middle of your screen with an airhorn sound).

The rage is so thick you could cut it and serve it on toast. It's glorious.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Thumbtacks posted:

When I pop Bloodlust, I blare the complete lyrics to Power by Kanye West over raid warnings.

Yeezy posted:

Do it better then anybody you ever seen do it
Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it
I guess every superhero need his theme music

:golfclap:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

I picked it more for the titular NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT POWUH, but in general everything I'm doing is relevant enough that it technically can't be reported for spam.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
What happens when a crew of players trying to exchange two human controlled hostages in the back of a truck get sloppy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C-g0T3O_nM
Thanks to the Arma engine, as long as the truck is moving, nobody can use the "get out" action.:haw:

Maybe not the most visually exciting video, but the ensuing chatter makes it completely worth the time.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 12, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What happens when a crew of players trying to exchange two human controlled hostages in the back of a truck get sloppy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C-g0T3O_nM
Thanks to the Arma engine, as long as the truck is moving, nobody can use the "get out" action.:haw:

Maybe not the most visually exciting video, but the ensuing chatter makes it completely worth the time.

This is a pretty brilliant grief, and they're pretty awesome for not losing their poo poo and taking it in stride.

The bit where they tried to bargain/help some random players into derailing the thing before realizing that the players intended to kill the "hostages" was pretty great as well.

As was the guy pulling alongside the thing, chasing it for half a mile, crashing into it repeatedly to try and run it off the road, before giving up and yelling "PULL OVER!" over local mic chat like he was some sort of cop.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 12, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's the intended mission?
One team has to trade the hostages for an ammo truck, hostages goal is to escape?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Croccers posted:

What's the intended mission?
One team has to trade the hostages for an ammo truck, hostages goal is to escape?

You have the hostages, bandits, OPFOR and BLUFOR. The bandits have the hostages and want to trade them for a truck full of ammo, but they would also like to keep the hostages if possible. OPFOR has the Ammo truck, they want the hostages and don't really want to pay for them. BLUFOR is a small team of special forces guys who want to rescue the hostages, they have less people but they've got a helicopter and maybe some better gear than the rest. It's basically a three-way CTF game where the flag tries to run away and everyone usually ends up killing each other.

The ARMA engine leads to some interesting situations, like hostages pick-pocketing grenades from their captors, stealing cars, and trolling their captors into doing stupid things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwcANrCy8mA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ed96GR7Hs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Avulsion posted:

The ARMA engine leads to some interesting situations, like hostages pick-pocketing grenades from their captors, stealing cars, and trolling their captors into doing stupid things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ed96GR7Hs

Even the beginning of this video is just amazing. The "leader" tells one of his own to drop his pistol, so the hostage picks it up.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

CrazyLittle posted:

Even the beginning of this video is just amazing. The "leader" tells one of his own to drop his pistol, so the hostage picks it up.

Yeah if the bandits kill the hostages (before they get the ammo), they lose. So the hostages have a free pass to be dicks.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So can you have multiple winners? Where the bandits can escape with the ammo, leaving the OPFOR and BLUFOR to fight over the hostages?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
So what do the hostages actually want? To get rescued by BLUFOR? Or just get away from the bandits? Or not be taken by any of the factions?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The hostages want to get rescued by BLUFOR, the Independents want to get the ammo truck, OPFOR wants the hostages.

It rarely works out that smoothly.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So what do the hostages actually want? To get rescued by BLUFOR? Or just get away from the bandits? Or not be taken by any of the factions?

In theory the hostages want to be rescued by BLUFOR, in practice they want to make their captors miserable.

I don't actually play Dark Business, I just follow the ShackTac guys on youtube. They mostly play ARMA and ARMA mods, with a few other games thrown in. It's equal parts milsperg and loving around.

The Clown: http://www.youtube.com/user/CHKilroy/videos
The Professional: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi/videos
The Quirky Austrailian: http://www.youtube.com/user/Beaglerush/videos

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Avulsion posted:

In theory the hostages want to be rescued by BLUFOR, in practice they want to make their captors miserable.

I don't actually play Dark Business, I just follow the ShackTac guys on youtube. They mostly play ARMA and ARMA mods, with a few other games thrown in. It's equal parts milsperg and loving around.

The Clown: http://www.youtube.com/user/CHKilroy/videos
The Professional: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi/videos
The Quirky Austrailian: http://www.youtube.com/user/Beaglerush/videos

The theory and practice don't seem at odds. If the hostages want to go with blufor then it is in their best interest to gently caress with the independents to get them and opfor misplaced and distracted. Hostage griefing is seemingly built in and accounted for in the scenario which is really cool.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a rifle-mounted grenade launcher is commonly referred to as a "noob tube" because you're not supposed to use it or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7WAyT2hcI&t=19s

Most of this guy's videos suck, but goddamn the tears in this one :allears:

EDIT: Is there a way to strip annotations and custom cover images from an embedded video?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 13, 2013

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a rifle-mounted grenade launcher is commonly referred to as a "noob tube" because you're not supposed to use it or something.

I'm not sure if this has been fixed since then, but in MW2 there was a perk that let you switch between loadouts at will. Using it would give you full ammunition for whatever kit you switched to. Cue players using this to give themselves infinite rifle grenades.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The Droid posted:

I'm not sure if this has been fixed since then, but in MW2 there was a perk that let you switch between loadouts at will. Using it would give you full ammunition for whatever kit you switched to. Cue players using this to give themselves infinite rifle grenades.

It was quite appropriately named "One-Man-Army", and gave you infinite rifle grenades, regular grenades, ammo, and all the assorted tool items. You could just swap classes mid-battle, making it one of the best perks in the game if you have the right setups.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The Droid posted:

Grenade launchers in MW2 were (and still are) pretty much broken compared to every MW since. I found a method that was more infuriating than the ammo thing because realistically your lifespan is quite short in that game and the kit switching to get the ammo took a bit of time and didn't allow you to use the sleight of hand perk. I would use sleight of hand on a gun with an underslung grenade launcher. Sleight of hand not only made you reload fast as poo poo, but it made you switch weapons and weapon modes super fast. So I would instantaneously switch to the grenade launcher and fire off two grenades real quick then rapidly switch to the thumper secondary (same as the underslung grenade launcher in damage, modeled after an m79) an then crack off two more grenades. This meant 4 grenades in about 10 seconds with sleight of hand and combined with the danger close perk it turns the already powerful grenades into basically scud missiles. Using the aforementioned technique I could basically carpet bomb an area in seconds. I rarely saw other people do it, because of other powerful perks and the fact the the thumper was slow to use and other versatile secondaries existed, but with both perks equipped the combination of the grenade launcher and thumper was monstrous. The best part was the thumper had the same arc and explosion as the underslung grenade launcher, so you didn't have to make adjustments and since I was using both so much I got the arc down to the point where I could make eye of the needle shots and blow up a whole room through a crack. I almost felt bad using the build. It was so good it wasn't really a grief except for the fact that the community viewed excessive grenades as griefing (people got very angry about this in that game).

While all of that isn't impressive the fun part would be killing people with my special title and emblem. The emblem was the little picture of the guy getting hit by a grenade which was easy to unlock, but the title was a special thumper one that took 2500 kills to get that I rarely (if ever) saw. That one really set people off.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 13, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

What makes that whining double-funny is that grenade launchers were nerfed into the ground between MW2 and MW3. In Core, the single-shot launchers need a direct contact hit (on a spastic target with a slow, arcing grenade) to kill on the first shot. The XM25 usually takes 3-4 grenades to put a guy under.

That's Hardcore, though. Everyone dies in 1-2 bullets from any weapon. They wouldn't be saying a peep if he was just rocking an MP7 and going 48-0 instead of loving with them and going 20-12 with the second-least powerful weapons in the game.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

EDIT: Is there a way to strip annotations and custom cover images from an embedded video?

I don't think I will understand why people, teenagers in particular, have the strange compulsion to start singing slurs/cursewords/threats over the internet. I can only assume they realize that constantly threatening to rape someone and their family becomes redundant and so decide to add a little spice to keep things fresh.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unLZ3FhuxlA

This happens in Planetside 2 as well, except the engineer class (which can get the UBGL) can just straight up have infinite ammo. Cue Goons racking up thousands of kills with their grenade launchers, doing what the goon in the above video does. People get pissed to no end if they find out you use it, and refuse to even touch the UBGL themselves, despite the fact that it lets you do poo poo like this. So now, whenever I'm done playing the game, I just post my stats on the 4chan Planetside 2 thread. If someone takes the bait I can completely derail the next 20-30 posts or more to just be people whining about how terrible I am for using the grenade launcher by continuously posting UBGL session stats.

I don't even know if this counts as griefing or not because we just play the game legitimately and piss people off. We've had people quit the server because of us, racked up dozens of deleted threads on the official forums, and I'm pretty sure at this point the other factions in Planetside 2 actively run away from us during goon prime time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

More specifically, it's called that because it's a weapon that doesn't require much skill but can still get a reasonable amount of kills, thus making the perfect weapon for new people who are still learning how the game works and how the maps are laid out and stuff like that. However, once you've accumulated some skills you're better off switching to one of the higher skill weapons. It's quite good game design, giving new players an option to be reasonably effective without being so effective that they won't move on to a new strategy. However, it's that very low-skill mid-reward aspect of it that makes a lot of assholes really mad when you get "cheap" kills with it.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What does "skill" even mean in this context, and why is it more important than your team winning the round/you topping the scoreboard in a free-for-all?

Dec 26, 2012

proof of concept posted:

What does "skill" even mean in this context, and why is it more important than your team winning the round/you topping the scoreboard in a free-for-all?

Basically how much personal experience it takes to do a worthwhile job with the weapon. The idea is that other things are harder to use, but if you know what you're doing you'll get better result out of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Notice how the guy in that one video said "use a sniper rifle you human being." He thinks using a sniper rifle takes the most skill to get points with. He honestly believes that someone will look up his stats, see his points, then look at what weapon he used to get most of those points and say "Wow, all that with a sniper rifle? This guy is better than Jeff K himself!"

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

01011001 posted:

Basically how much personal experience it takes to do a worthwhile job with the weapon. The idea is that other things are harder to use, but if you know what you're doing you'll get better result out of them.

I'm betting that the second half of the question that you didn't answer is what's behind the rage.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I don't see what everyone gets so drat mad about, it's just flat out baffling to me. If I play a shooter, I kill people any way I can. I go for body shots with a shotgun, stab people with a knife when they get close, and if they're clustered they're getting a rocket launcher or a grenade launcher. Why would you play in any way that limits you if you still get slaughtered while you're doing it? :psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

proof of concept posted:

I'm betting that the second half of the question that you didn't answer is what's behind the rage.

Skill is more important than winning the round to them because it makes you better. It's one thing to get lots of points, it's another thing to get those points with a weapon considered more difficult to use.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Of course they then get all pissy as hell if you use a gimmick/joke weapon to kill them a few times. :v:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Nothing is more gimmicky than a device that launches a fragmentary explosive at the enemy. REAL men fight with claymores.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Skill is more important than winning the round to them because it makes you better. It's one thing to get lots of points, it's another thing to get those points with a weapon considered more difficult to use.

Ah, the old David Sirlin dilemma. The fact that you are guaranteed to enrage people if you 1) find a game where "skillful" play does not correlate 1:1 with effective play and then 2) win the game by focusing on effective play over "skillful" play is like the Fundamental Theorem of Griefing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Okay then since noob tubes are such a bad thing here's a video of a guy using claymores and a rocket launcher alongside his noob tube because he wants to get more skilled at farming up death threat points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_KBYWYppsw&t=17s

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Okay then since noob tubes are such a bad thing here's a video of a guy using claymores and a rocket launcher alongside his noob tube because he wants to get more skilled at farming up death threat points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_KBYWYppsw&t=17s

Man, what is it with FPS gamers and control issues? And with Canadian New Mexicans?

e: And what the hell is the juggalo mafia?

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 14, 2013

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Man, the New Mexican Juggalo Mafia is some scary poo poo!!!

What is a juggalo? Click here to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

INTEL: Grenade launchers are nearly as useless in BO2 core as they were in MW3. And that ship stern that he's hiding in? That 10x10ft area in the shade is the other team's spawning point and one of the most notorious ones to get permanently trapped in. The one on the opposite side of the ship is almost as bad. All the people running in there for free kills are, in fact, the campers and scrubs themselves.

• Locked thread