Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

When a property lists a Wet Market, what are they talking about?
For example
http://www.smartshanghai.com/housing/apartments-rent/324803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Wet markets are good, they're places you can buy meat and veggies that tend to be cheaper and fresher than at supermarkets.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

BadAstronaut posted:

Looking at places to stay in Shanghai now that this is all going ahead. I need to travel to Changping Rd, on Line 7 and keen to keep the commute to a minimum. Anyone able to recommend a good area? I've even been looking at some spots within walking distance to the office, to avoid a commute entirely, and while I am sure it's pricier than what I could be getting elsewhere, there are some decent options going.

How is the area near Houtan or Middle Longhua metro stations? Or is that likely to be exorbitantly expensive due to it being on the river?

I don't know much about line 7 specifically, but if you live in either of those areas your train will pass through the interchange areas of the most crowded subway lines in Shanghai (2, 1, 4 in that order according to this announcement http://shmetro.com/node78/node80/201204/con111480.htm). Depending on what time your workday starts, this could suck. Maybe if you just hold on REALLY TIGHTLY to something whenever the doors open, it won't be as bad.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks guys. I'm looking at a bunch of options near Jing'An Temple and Changping Rd itself, as if I can walk to work or get a bus/short bicycle ride rather than ride the subway, that would be the best...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe we should move housing chat to LAN? Here, have some China.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What the hell are those symbols at the top?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

What the hell are those symbols at the top?

It's the Yi script! They look like Old Norse characters.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

Oh yeah Abe I broke up with my girl too. Now you don't have to literally froth at the mouth whenever I mention her. Also 大胖糖(da pang tang) (big fat candy) turned out to be a manipulative psycho bitch intent on ruining our relationship (my ex and I, not you and I).

Solution: Have her over for dinner sometime in the past few days

:smug:

edit: This is not the LAN thread. Hi, T&T

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yi loving owns. I know a girl here at ChuanDa who majored in "Minority Scripts" or whatever it's called and could speak and read Manchurian, Yi, Tibetan and a few others. Unfortunate name, but it's cool someone is at least studying that stuff.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Dang, none of the Yi dudes I know can read Yi. Sounds cool when they speak, though.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
I'm making the big step of collecting my RP on my lonesome for the first time ever tomorrow from Yonghegong.

Is it just a case of going to the same desk I dropped off my shizzle and waving a piece of paper that I presume I must have at home somewhere?

Also I need to be at Renmin Uni for a wedding around 10.30am, does anyone know what time I need to be waiting outside the PSB in order to get in and out quick smartish?

This is aimed at Beijing Goons Pro PRC obviously

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If only you made a pizza then you wouldn't be in this situation :smug:

Anyone here tried the Hong mi? It's only 800 RMB http://www.xiaomi.com/hongmi. dual sim CDMA/GSM, Dual core, Media tek 1.5 Ghz with 4.7" IPS.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Big Alf posted:

I'm making the big step of collecting my RP on my lonesome for the first time ever tomorrow from Yonghegong.

Is it just a case of going to the same desk I dropped off my shizzle and waving a piece of paper that I presume I must have at home somewhere?

Also I need to be at Renmin Uni for a wedding around 10.30am, does anyone know what time I need to be waiting outside the PSB in order to get in and out quick smartish?

This is aimed at Beijing Goons Pro PRC obviously

Do you know where your local PSB is that can process it? You may perhaps, see a big long line of Chinese, you do not have to wait in this line. Foreigners have their own line and it takes like 10 minutes tops as long as you're poo poo's all in order.

Alternatively, just do the wedding and worry about registering the next day. 有事 is the universal excuse to deal with deadlines if they even care.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
All my paperwork has been done, it's quite literally a case of picking up my passport with RP sticker in from the Exit/Entry at Yonghegong.

And yep, the whole reason I want to get it tomorrow is so I don't have to take a days leave for this wedding. I can just go for my visa then be at 'meetings in town' the rest of the day.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Big Alf posted:

All my paperwork has been done, it's quite literally a case of picking up my passport with RP sticker in from the Exit/Entry at Yonghegong.

And yep, the whole reason I want to get it tomorrow is so I don't have to take a days leave for this wedding. I can just go for my visa then be at 'meetings in town' the rest of the day.

Oh, you're picking it up? Thought you were talking about the registration and whatnot. Show up early, like, an hour before open and you should be in and out.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Also make sure you got your CASHOLA to hand over. 800 big ones for Americans, presumably cheaper for countries China doesn't hate and Japan.

And yeah, to pick it up you just bring your receipt and go to a window. In Chengdu and Qingdao where I've done it there's no huge for picking up, you generally just go to the window and it's pretty quick.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm getting mixed reports from blockedinchina.net... can anyone tell me if https://www.audible.co.uk works OK for them in China? Or does it actually depend where you are?

blockedinchina.net posted:

Latest results for https://www.audible.co.uk ...

Beijing OK
Shenzen BLOCKED
Inner Mongolia OK
Heilongjiang Province BLOCKED
Yunnan Province BLOCKED

Some of the servers used were able to reach your site, but some weren't. This means that your site may NOT be accessible from all areas within mainland China. You should assume that a majority of Chinese users will NOT be able to reach your site.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm getting mixed reports from blockedinchina.net... can anyone tell me if https://www.audible.co.uk works OK for them in China? Or does it actually depend where you are?

Dude, just get a VPN. It sounds like you're addicted to foreign content sites, at least one of the ones you want is blocked at any given time, guaranteed. It changes all the time, because a lot of the blocking isn't list-based, it's automated based on packet inspection, links to explicitly blocked sites, and who knows what else. You don't know from day to day what's going to be blocked or have its service degraded. Apart from noting which things are ALWAYS blocked or ALWAYS available, it's pointless to ask.

The only nitpicky question you should be asking about internet service in China is what VPN is most reliable...and that can also change at any moment.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ah, got you. Didn't know it changed like that. Yes, I'll definitely be getting a VPN set up.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

Dude, just get a VPN. It sounds like you're addicted to foreign content sites, at least one of the ones you want is blocked at any given time, guaranteed. It changes all the time, because a lot of the blocking isn't list-based, it's automated based on packet inspection, links to explicitly blocked sites, and who knows what else. You don't know from day to day what's going to be blocked or have its service degraded. Apart from noting which things are ALWAYS blocked or ALWAYS available, it's pointless to ask.

The only nitpicky question you should be asking about internet service in China is what VPN is most reliable...and that can also change at any moment.

Best VPN is no VPN. They are overpriced and it's a constant battle. Use what I've been using since forever instead. With the added bonus of zero hassle to swap back and forth.

(roll this into a .bat file, dump it in the same directory as plink.exe, shortcut it to your quicklaunch)

plink -ssh -l user -pw password -D 1080 host-you-have-a-shell-account-on.net

Then, install either:
Chrome: Proxy Anywhere - crx can be found here (and you're welcome by the way, this no longer exists anywhere else) or unpacked on github)
Firefox: Elite Proxy Switcher

Proxy settings are then 127.0.0.1:1080 SOCKS 4/5

Snap up at least 2 different shells, ideally in different countries and make a specific bat file for each of them, just in case one goes down for any reason. Be it server failure, temporary blocking, routing issues, etc.

There are MANY places to pick up a shell either for free, or for a one time donation of a buck or two, or a monthly sub of a buck or two... or any server you have access to that allows session forwarding over ssh.

Beats the ever living crap out of VPN.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 13, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is that in any way doable on Android phones/tablets, and on a PS3?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

BadAstronaut posted:

Is that in any way doable on Android phones/tablets, and on a PS3?

PS3, no idea... android, yes

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

And this would work just roaming around on my 3G/LTE data?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

BadAstronaut posted:

Yep. All you're doing is creating an SSH tunnel to a remote server and funneling all your traffic through it. No proxy for the local sites, just use it when you actually need it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

LTE don't exist here.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Fine, GPRS then. Tin cans n' string. Packets chucked in the back of an overloaded rickshaw... s'all good.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
If you want everything in Windows to be tunneled then you can set up the proxy settings in Internet Options and they'll be applied to every program you've got running (including Chrome and Firefox).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

If only you made a pizza then you wouldn't be in this situation :smug:

Anyone here tried the Hong mi? It's only 800 RMB http://www.xiaomi.com/hongmi. dual sim CDMA/GSM, Dual core, Media tek 1.5 Ghz with 4.7" IPS.

I don't think anyone physically has one yet. They just recently went on sale and sold out in 30 seconds.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I've got in laws visiting the US in one month. They don't speak a lick of English , and their Mandarin is spotty at best. Any ideas or hints for getting them to their connecting flight in ORD? I'm going to make them an English/Chinese phrase card.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Fine, GPRS then. Tin cans n' string. Packets chucked in the back of an overloaded rickshaw... s'all good.

Let me just tell you some things.

If you really depend on the internet, you'll be in for a shock. There are times when VPN's just don't work. There are times when DNS goes out. There are times when the firewall is being updated and you can't get decent speeds overseas. The firewall uses smart blocking to block sites. If it detects bad keywords it will randomly block sites. Google isn't blocked, but if you search certain keywords it will suddenly be blocked for minutes to hours. And you get stupid things happening too, like they shut off the router in the basement, guy's fixing electricity welded through the cable, water flooded the server room, etc.

Cloud storage? Ha! I haven't touched it in the two years I've been here. It's too slow and too unreliable to use in China.

3g. As was mentioned there is no LTE in China. Only China Unicom uses international 3g equipment, all other networks are using some home built 3g system that won't work anywhere else in the world. The 3g speeds really suck to overseas websites and low data caps really limit usage. I used to do everything on my phone, now I keep it under 200mb a month.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Anyone in Beijing taking part in the Color Run?

Will they provide respirators as part of the registration fee?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

Anyone in Beijing taking part in the Color Run?

Will they provide respirators as part of the registration fee?

Didn't that happen last week? Thought I saw pictures of it online...

Aero737 posted:

3g. As was mentioned there is no LTE in China. Only China Unicom uses international 3g equipment, all other networks are using some home built 3g system that won't work anywhere else in the world. The 3g speeds really suck to overseas websites and low data caps really limit usage. I used to do everything on my phone, now I keep it under 200mb a month.

Yeah I used to have China Mobile Edge data 150mb/month and that was usually enough for mail, maps and surfing SA and honestly not THAT slow. Synced my RSS feeds over wifi that way I had plenty to read while eating lunch or riding the bus. Cloud storage was always too iffy. Ocassionally gmail.com would be super slow, but gmail via IMAP on my iPhone always worked well.

TheBuilder posted:

I've got in laws visiting the US in one month. They don't speak a lick of English , and their Mandarin is spotty at best. Any ideas or hints for getting them to their connecting flight in ORD? I'm going to make them an English/Chinese phrase card.

GF's mother is here now. She wouldn't opt for a $500 cheaper flight because she didn't trust her mother to be able to make a connection in Dubai. I really think that if they know how to navigate an airport at all it shouldn't be THAT bad. But a phrase card isn't a bad idea.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 14, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
After 4 hours at the consulate in Bangkok I finally got my visa app submitted. I arrived 5 minutes after opening and was #148. Naturally when I got to the window I was told I was missing a document that isn't listed as required online or in the consulate. In a shocking display of kindness the visa officer accepted it anyway. I didn't even have to yell and scream and pound my chest. :cool:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's 3G HSDPA or bust in China. EDGE is too slow for wechat and photo upload. Uploading takes 6 seconds, and downloading photos takes 3. Ugh. Forums are choppy too :smith:

TheBuilder posted:

If the inlaws have taken a plane or are use to air travel/transfers it's not too hard to transfer. It really depends on how travel savy they are. MY GIRLFRIEND's parents don't speak too much English but they are pretty smart on the road, taking trains/buses/figuring stuff out on their own.

Make sure they know how to read the flight number off their e-ticket

Writing a phase card for them is a nice gesture of course. Nowadays most flights will probably have a few Mainland Chinese/ people who speak Mandarin flying. I was so upset that I'm not the unique snow flake when I flown into Maine. The inlaws can ask airline staff for help, or another random Chinese person in the airport. ORD is a big airport I bet someone will be able to help them out. As long as it's not a rushed transfer for old people then they should be fine.

But write the card, none the less. Shows how good of a son in law you are :eng101:

"Please help me find the transfer gate for XXXX Airlines Flight XXXX, Thank You very much!"
"請幫我找 XXXX 航空公司, XXXX 航班, 閘口, 釣魚島是中國的,社會主義萬歲!”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't forget to include simplified!

"请帮我找 XXXX 航空公司, XXXX 航班, 门口, 千万别相信香港人,他们都是贼!” :colbert:

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Hi, I was directed here by a veteran goon-friend of mine who suggested I hit up the Chinese threads for guidance as in September, I begin working a year-long contract with a training center in Zhuhai, Guangdong. Do any of you Chinagoons have any general impressions of/experiences with Zhuhai that you'd be willing to share? I'm mainly concerned with whether I'll be able to work on my Mandarin in a traditionally Cantonese-speaking province, but if anyone has information on the cost of living, ease of transportation, general temperament of Zhuhai folks, food, etc, that'd be great, too.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Zhuhai is to Macau as Shenzhen is to Hong Kong. It's not a very Cantonese place. It's full of hookers and other laborers from other parts of China, which makes Mandarin the easy lingua franca.

Still, it's more laid back than Shenzhen and has generally more palatable air than most cities of its size. I think the best thing is that you can very easily do a day trip to Macau. Do a lot of those, make some connections and try to work in Macau instead. It's a fantastic place.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

cost of living

Just FYI, I've been using this site and Numbeo to do some cost of living comparisons. Just go there, select the cities to compare, and you should get most of the info you need. I much prefer Numbeo's whole layout, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Haha, I wonder how they're determining the price of "local cheese" in Zhuhai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's tofu with yellow colouring.