Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

After years of having cars that would be at like 5k when going 75 (and all the engine noise there in), I actually kinda appreciate that the Mazda only is at like 2900 in 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I took a sharp right on Friday and heard a thud on the drivers side wheel well area, did the tire hit the wheel well?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

By the way, I know jack poo poo about suspension mods: do I need to order anything else like bump stops, etc that needs to be replaced while doing the Koni Yellow install?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When I went to FSDs, I wish I had ordered fresh bump stops and strut bearings / tops / whatever. I reused mine because I hadn't ordered them in advance but I wish I had because after ~100k mine were in really rough shape.

Basically, the only thing I would want to reuse on the front strut assembly, is the spring itself.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

When I went to FSDs, I wish I had ordered fresh bump stops and strut bearings / tops / whatever. I reused mine because I hadn't ordered them in advance but I wish I had because after ~100k mine were in really rough shape.

Basically, the only thing I would want to reuse on the front strut assembly, is the spring itself.

I actually ended up cancelling after doing more reading and I saw SenSens (aka I really don't even need these Koni Yellows, was just impulse from seeing the price). So yeah, I'm looking around on RockAuto right now for what else I would need to do this... mounts, bushings and bumpstops?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It looks like Rockauto mixes the parts for the front and rear under "shock mount", "strut bearing", and "strut mount", as well as some of the bumpstops also showing under "strut bellow".

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

air- posted:

Nothing, but I'm not even sure if are there even any stock Gen1's out there? I do eyeball used listings to see what people fetch and locally I have yet to see one. I imagine a stock one's pretty tough to find.

Except for the BEGI intake , mine still is ...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

This took so much digging but I think I've got it figured out? :downs:

Sensens: (10% off + free shipping with code mazdaspeedforums)
http://apxautoparts.com/apx/2006-2007-mazda-5-shocks-struts-full-set.html

I think I might just buy the mounts from RockAuto (gotta take out the sensens), from what I understand this actually includes both bushings/mount

Plus buy these?
http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=10/CA=1

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't forget to hit up Retailmenot for a 5% off at Rockauto code.

Also, you need to get the rear end-end REALLY high to get the shocks out/in.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
air, do you have a ms3? i contacted sensen and apparently their struts/shocks don't fit the ms3.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

hunter x az posted:

air, do you have a ms3? i contacted sensen and apparently their struts/shocks don't fit the ms3.

Yes, you're supposed to buy the ones for the Mazda5 (check the link) which will fit the MS3. There's a huge thread about them on MSF, but the whole part about having to buy bushings/mounts was the unknown factor to me. Hope my digging saves someone some time since what parts to buy weren't clearly identified apart from just being told to "search and read". I figure, may as well knock out as much work as possible while it's all taken apart.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

air- posted:

Yes, you're supposed to buy the ones for the Mazda5 (check the link) which will fit the MS3. There's a huge thread about them on MSF, but the whole part about having to buy bushings/mounts was the unknown factor to me. Hope my digging saves someone some time since what parts to buy weren't clearly identified apart from just being told to "search and read". I figure, may as well knock out as much work as possible while it's all taken apart.

Thanks. Can you link to the MSF thread? I'd love to read over it. I want to redo my suspension as well.

That MSF is a rough crowd. So much casual racism and homophobia. Too much good info though. Sigh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would believe it - the Koni FSD kit for the MS3 is the exact same part number as the Mazda5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hunter x az posted:

That MSF is a rough crowd. So much casual racism and homophobia. Too much good info though. Sigh.

Welcome to every car forum on the internet except AI.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

hunter x az posted:

Thanks. Can you link to the MSF thread? I'd love to read over it. I want to redo my suspension as well.

Here you go (and to be honest, you should read the entire thread)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/sensen-shocks-apx-auto-74702/

air-
Sep 24, 2007

So, anyone buy a v3 AP yet? They're pretty nice...

http://pages.cobbtuning.com/V3-July-22.html
http://www.cobbtuning.com/MAZDASPEED-Accessport-V3-p/ap3-maz-002.htm

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Did some preparatory wiring for my cp-e triple gauge pod install

Already have the sandwich plate and spin on conversion, probably going to do an early oil change so I can install them and finish installing the gauges. I had a boost gauge in a defrost vent pod, moving that over with new oil temp and pressure gauges.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I drove a Speed 3 at work for fun today. I'd never driven one before but it was pretty nice.

I stalled twice backing out cause the clutch is way different than the S2000 :downs:

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
Had an oil change and tires rotated recently, and the way that it pulls laterally during acceleration and in general definitely feels different. Can torque steer change the car's vector even while the steering wheel is locked dead center? I don't know if it was this way before and I'm just scrutinizing more closely or not. It's noticeable even under mild acceleration, and it feels more difficult to keep the car centered. (07 MS3)

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
This may be a dumb question but the general idea is you should replace your rear engine mount. YouTube videos make this seem easy too.

My question is: why? What's wrong with the stock one? For example, why would Mazda keep making cars for 2 generations with bad mounts?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Longer than that, Proteges have butter mounts as well, my MSP ate them by 70k. It's all NVH and engineering to a price point.

Faithiest
Mar 27, 2010

Can I join the cool kids club now?

Fun facts: 2013 MS3s all have black wheels and have heavy incentives to clear them out - sub 21K for a Grand Touring
I am also very bad at driving stick.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Nice looking vehicle.
I got hit with a little bit of the curse last week. Not one but 2 screws in my rear passenger tire. I foolishly thought there would be hazard coverage on the stock tires.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the best fuel pump kit to go with?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

opengl128 posted:

Did some preparatory wiring for my cp-e triple gauge pod install

Already have the sandwich plate and spin on conversion, probably going to do an early oil change so I can install them and finish installing the gauges. I had a boost gauge in a defrost vent pod, moving that over with new oil temp and pressure gauges.

I'd love to see photos of this once you're done. I'd really like to get the CP-E triple pod and a boost, oil temp, oil pressure gauge. But, I figure I don't really need them...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I'd love to see photos of this once you're done. I'd really like to get the CP-E triple pod and a boost, oil temp, oil pressure gauge. But, I figure I don't really need them...

Those are the exact gauges I have. Here's a terrible photo I snapped of a test fit, but only the boost gauge is hooked up so far (already had it installed in a defrost vent pod, just had to move it over). I'll hopefully be able to install the spin on oil filter conversion and adapter plate this week so I can wire the senders for the two oil gauges.

e: took a couple better shots today. Ignore my dusty rear end interior

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 12, 2013

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Faithiest posted:

Fun facts: 2013 MS3s all have black wheels and have heavy incentives to clear them out - sub 21K for a Grand Touring

Mind if I ask where you are or if this was a dealer-specific pricing? Neither of the dealers in my area (north Florida) are willing to move off the 27k sticker for the 2013 with the tech pack. I'm hoping that will change when the redesigned 3s come out.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Mind if I ask where you are or if this was a dealer-specific pricing? Neither of the dealers in my area (north Florida) are willing to move off the 27k sticker for the 2013 with the tech pack. I'm hoping that will change when the redesigned 3s come out.

Where are you in north Florida?
Ive been by both the Mazda dealership in Pensacola and the one in Fort Walton Beach and both had huge sale stickers on the remaining 2013 MS3s they had left.
Pensacola was something like $2500 off when I was in there a month or so ago. The Fort Walton Beach location as of last weekend had a couple out front when I drove by that say '$3000 off MSRP' on them.

Sandy Sansing is the name of the Pensacola dealership. I believe the one in Fort Walton is just called Quality Mazda. Might be worth contacting either of those if they aren't too far north or west for you in Florida.

Crazy your local dealership is still trying to get msrp.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 14, 2013

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Franco Caution posted:

If they aren't too far north or west for you in Florida...

Hahaha, the complete other rear end end of the state: Jacksonville. poo poo though, I'll drive 10 hours to save $3500. Thanks for the info.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Worst case scenario, just from Mazda you should be at least getting $1500 CUSTOMER CASH on the 13 mazdaspeed3. Valid through 9/3/13
I found that on the Shopping Tools> Special Offers section of mazdausa.com

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

gently caress. Spent all day installing the spin on conversion and prosport sandwich adapter. Everything worked great. Left for dinner and the filter snapped off a mile up the road, dumping all my oil out. I shut it down as soon as I heard it so no damage done, but now I'm waiting for a tow back home. It looks like I overtightened the adapter's nut onto the filter housing, since the oil filter had the threads from the housing still in it. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

opengl128 posted:

gently caress. Spent all day installing the spin on conversion and prosport sandwich adapter. Everything worked great. Left for dinner and the filter snapped off a mile up the road, dumping all my oil out. I shut it down as soon as I heard it so no damage done, but now I'm waiting for a tow back home. It looks like I overtightened the adapter's nut onto the filter housing, since the oil filter had the threads from the housing still in it. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Ohshi, I hope there's no damage. Also, that that oil slick gets cleaned up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/12346-hey-kids-dont-overtighten-your-oil-filter.html

So that's exactly what happened to me. Funny, he was installing a sandwich plate too. My guess is it's much easier to over tighten than just a filter since you have a big fat nut to wrench down on, and yeah, I cranked it on pretty tight with a 1/2" wrench. Wasn't really thinking that normally those threads only handle a filter hand-tight.

Mazda dealer will have my new filter housing in tomorrow, hoping to reinstall it on Sunday. Luckily I have the Miata to drive until then. It's definitely going back on hand tight. Luckily my sandwich plate didn't get destroyed, the cables for the senders caught it dangling.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

drat, I was gonna offer you the kit with a deep discount if Mazda wasn't gonna take care of you. Sounds like your engine's ok and glad to hear they'll help you out though! I never got around to installing mine :v:

air- fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 15, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh I just ordered one through my local dealer, the first one I got from Street Unit since I was getting my gauges and sandwich plate from them anyway and had free shipping. Getting the second one from the dealer is cheaper than buying it and paying for shipping online, and they get me free next day shipping. Wasn't gonna try and blame Mazda for me over tightening it.

And yeah, really have my fingers crossed about no engine damage. I shut it off no more than 2-3 seconds after I heard the filter hit the ground. No noises or anything, and oil was still pouring out, so I'm relatively confident it'll be fine.

e: here's some pics before everything went sideways. And seriously, gently caress that top mounted oil cooler bolt. How in god's name are you supposed to get that off anyway? I ended up taking out 3 of the four housing bolts to move the whole mess slightly to get a looong extension in from the top. Did bend the last bolt while cracking the top one loose, but it was an easy enough to find replacement from the hardware store (the hex head black on you can see in the photo)

opengl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 15, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Can you take some pictures of the sandwich plate on, but without the filter when you install the new one? I'm a little confused as to why it's more likely to snap off in this situation. Were you using a strap or socket wrench to screw in the filter, 'cause that's a no-no.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Faithiest posted:

I am also very bad at driving stick.

^ This.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Can you take some pictures of the sandwich plate on, but without the filter when you install the new one? I'm a little confused as to why it's more likely to snap off in this situation. Were you using a strap or socket wrench to screw in the filter, 'cause that's a no-no.

Here's what it looks like. No, the filter I only screwed on by hand like usual, but that bronze nut that holds the sandwich plate onto the original filter threads, that's what I tightened WAY too much with a huge wrench, not realizing that those threads normally only hold a filter hand tight,

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Ah, got it. How hard was the gauge install and wiring? Tearing apart the dash never seems fun.

Also, what's the new oil capacity with a spin on filter? Is it still about 6 quarts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Ah, got it. How hard was the gauge install and wiring? Tearing apart the dash never seems fun.

Also, what's the new oil capacity with a spin on filter? Is it still about 6 quarts?

Gauge install was fairly painless since I already had a boost gauge, and Prosport lets you daisy chain the gauges together, so I had minimal new wiring to do. Worst part is pulling the wires from the sensors through the firewall. I used the hole for the hood release cable, but access is terrible so it take a little bit of doing.

I only had to take my dash apart so much because I was removing the defrost vent pod, just installing the triple pod above the stereo requires much less disassembly.

Oil capacity didn't go up too much, maybe a hair under 6 quarts, whereas it always took a little over 5.5 before.