Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Mickey McKey posted:

The end of my Roche's path was Geralt and Triss just wandering off. I had let Roche kill Henselt, the Dragon got impaled on a log, I killed Letho for being a bitch. The ending was very anticlimactic.

I killed Letho too. Just cause it felt right. Has anyone NOT killed him? I don't see any logic in sparing him. Then again, arguably, killing him is pointless as well. Oh Witcher...

I gave Anais to Radovid cause I figured Adda owes me. She tried to kill me once but, eh. At least Anais will be safe. Though for my "canon" playthrough (to prep for Witcher 3), I'll probably spare Henselt and not give Anais to Radovid. Maybe spare the dragon too.

Anyway I'm going back to re-read The Last Wish, and I have a fan translation of Sword of Destiny on deck. I'm psyched to get back into the literature. Geralt is honestly one of the cooler fantasy characters I've come across in awhile. As a kicker the non-Geralt stories are pretty fun too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Boru posted:

I killed Letho too. Just cause it felt right. Has anyone NOT killed him? I don't see any logic in sparing him. Then again, arguably, killing him is pointless as well. Oh Witcher...

I didn't kill him. Killing him changes nothing at that point and I felt that Geralt was just tired of the slaughter.

You better play Iorveth's path now. It's totally different. Although one of the things that depressed you in the ending you got was avoidable even on Roche's path.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Boru posted:

I think he was a real friend after all was said and done. The only reason why he was placed on that position was because he helped Geralt find Yennefer, and then spent months putting up with her bullshit for Geralt's sake, leading to him and his friends being captured by Nilfgaard and being sent to destabilize the northern kingdoms. It was only a job and politics, and we were caught in the crossfire, I could forgive that. Also he saved Triss and kept her safe during the massacre, which also counts for something. All in all, an alright Witcher.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Yeah I'm going to do Ioerveth next, probably on hard, and focus on herbalism, instead of swords. Then maybe a Dark run to set up my character canon for Witcher 3. I'm ok with how the game ended up overall. One thing Witcher is good at is reminding the player that though Geralt may be hugely influential, he is only one man. The world will do what it pleases, even of you save a handful, you can't stop a massacre. The worst for me was the mass open graves, that was a new phenomenon in my gaming career. :smith: Makes me think I shouldn't have killed Henselt. Even though he deserved it, maybe he could have done something to keep people in check. I liked how by killing Henselt I was basically on the same footing as Letho: it makes for an interesting contrast of character.

E: I felt like killing Letho was personal: comeupance for dragging me through all this poo poo. Though in hindsight the similarities between Letho and Geralt (especially is you allow Henselt's death) are rather plentiful. Both do what they feel they need to in order to maintain order. Both are steered by a personal code of justice. Both serve others when and where they feel, largely to satisfy their own needs.

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 29, 2013

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I justified sparing him easily

He didn't mean to frame Geralt, Geralt was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not like Geralt has ever given a poo poo about any of the kings anyway. I'm under the impression that he felt they were all arrogant douches anyway. And since it was a mistake and he took care of yennifer all that time I let it slide.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of playing through again....I was replaying going Iorveth's path and the Enhanced Edition patch broke the one wheel in Vergen that you use during the siege which ruined my save and I havent had the effort to redo everything again.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've felt no temptation to make a 'canon' save. The way the Witcher's been handling things, if it has any effect all on the next game, I'm happy with just going with my first playthrough that had all my gut reaction choices. I'm sure it'll be at least as interesting as an 'ideal' run, in as much as that's possible in this game in the first place.

Though honestly I don't expect save importation to do a whole lot in Witcher 3 besides maybe add or lock out certain side quests.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

That's true enough. I'm just hungry to know what would have been different had I made another choice. I know that there's no real "good" or "bad" descions, but I figure the designers went through pains to show players ramifications to actions, so I need to know more! This sort of gameplay fuels my "completionist" desires like no other . . . I'm reminded of how I beat each Mass Effect game two or three times each, just to see EVERY plot and line. Except for the third game. I played through that once because . . . yeah. :rolleyes:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I justified sparing him easily

He didn't mean to frame Geralt, Geralt was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not like Geralt has ever given a poo poo about any of the kings anyway. I'm under the impression that he felt they were all arrogant douches anyway. And since it was a mistake and he took care of yennifer all that time I let it slide.

Sorry but Foltest was a bro :colbert:
and regardless of how bad the Northern monarchs and the mages are, the events Letho help set in motion are going to lead to a lot of death and suffering

I spared Letho the first time through, mostly because he saved Triss. He also wasnt a bad guy he just made some bad decisions. I honestly have no problems with killing Letho though, he is similar to Geralt in many way yeah but unlike the bad decisions Geralt has made he has a pretty good idea what the ultimate results of his actions will lead to. Also cant have him running around thinking hes a better fighter than us :)

Boru posted:

E: I felt like killing Letho was personal: comeupance for dragging me through all this poo poo. Though in hindsight the similarities between Letho and Geralt (especially is you allow Henselt's death) are rather plentiful. Both do what they feel they need to in order to maintain order. Both are steered by a personal code of justice. Both serve others when and where they feel, largely to satisfy their own needs.

Letho wasnt doing what he was doing to "maintain order" or because of morality he did it because the Emperor basically said help us or die, and maybe if you help us we will bring the Witchers back (not loving likely at least no without a bunch of catches)

Edit: If anything Id leave Letho alive out of pity and not because I thought he was justified in his own way

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 29, 2013

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I spare Letho most of the time, he's not a bad guy just a dude a lot like Geralt but in an even shittier situation.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Boru posted:

That's true enough. I'm just hungry to know what would have been different had I made another choice. I know that there's no real "good" or "bad" descions, but I figure the designers went through pains to show players ramifications to actions, so I need to know more! This sort of gameplay fuels my "completionist" desires like no other . . . I'm reminded of how I beat each Mass Effect game two or three times each, just to see EVERY plot and line. Except for the third game. I played through that once because . . . yeah. :rolleyes:

Good luck, there's something like 16 different endings.
I don't know how many of those are significant though.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Good luck, there's something like 16 different endings.
I don't know how many of those are significant though.

Depends on what you mean buy significant. Theres like 4 main endings and then everything else is a variation to a greater or lesser degree thereof.
Most of the variations are whether Aryan LaValette is alive or not, or Loredo, and whether Henselt/Stennis is alive or not. As well as who you decide to give Anais to if you do Roches path
Side not I really need to find a mod or something that replaces prince Stennis with King Stannis Baratheon

Some big differances Ive seen are If Henselt is alive and you save Triss, Temaria is carved up and divided between Radovid and Henselt. If Henselt is dead and you save Triss, Temaria is Balkanized. Its implied that the Lavalettes become buddy buddy with Nilfgaard if Aryan is killed. If Loredo is left alive (impossible on a Roche playthrough) Flotsom is annexed by Henselt and poo poo gets worse for nonhumans there.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Three playthroughs is enough to really see all the meat. Roche's Path > Save Anais, Iorveth's Path > Save Saskia, and Either Path > Save Triss. Everything else is pretty minor.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Though it's neat all the little things you notice on replays. For example, how many of you realized the first time you played that Loredo is wearing Kaedweni colors?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

It's my first playthrough, and I just cleared Chapter 1 following Roche's path. I'm confused about two things that happened towards the end - forgive me if these questions are dumb.

1. When you finish the raid on Loredo's house, Geralt asks Roche why he was delayed, and then you play a section where Roche fights Iorveth in the forest. Was the implication supposed to be that the Scoia'tael raided the barge without Geralt's help and freed him? If that's the case, why was it daytime in the forest when the raid took place at night? How exactly did Roche come to face off with Iorveth one-on-one?

2. Chapter 2 opens with Geralt and Roche arriving at Henselt's war camp. Why did they come here? I was under the impression that the plan was to follow Letho to Vergen.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Cirosan posted:

It's my first playthrough, and I just cleared Chapter 1 following Roche's path. I'm confused about two things that happened towards the end - forgive me if these questions are dumb.

1. When you finish the raid on Loredo's house, Geralt asks Roche why he was delayed, and then you play a section where Roche fights Iorveth in the forest. Was the implication supposed to be that the Scoia'tael raided the barge without Geralt's help and freed him? If that's the case, why was it daytime in the forest when the raid took place at night? How exactly did Roche come to face off with Iorveth one-on-one?

2. Chapter 2 opens with Geralt and Roche arriving at Henselt's war camp. Why did they come here? I was under the impression that the plan was to follow Letho to Vergen.

For number 2: They are at Vergen. It's just on the other side of the doom wall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cirosan posted:

I don't know how well they thought out this scene. It doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever on some playthoughs. Such as on Iorveth's Path if Iorveth is captured.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, the plot is really really tight except for that one bit.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I interpreted it as their face off never actually happened, so Roche and Iorveth are making it up and are just boasting about it to Geralt.
Their excuses for letting the other live are pretty weak as if they're covering up the fact that the other is clearly alive despite being "defeated".

e: I think it's made more obvious by how ridiculously easy the fight between them is too. You just have to mash the attack button 3 times, no blocking, rolling, or anything.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 4, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I interpreted it as their face off never actually happened, so Roche and Iorveth are making it up and are just boasting about it to Geralt.
Their excuses for letting the other live are pretty weak as if they're covering up the fact that the other is clearly alive despite being "defeated".

You can actually lose it, which was pretty funny seeing Iorveth boasting about his meeting, than immediately getting pounded. Made him being trapped on the barge make sense for me atleast.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lycus posted:

I don't know how well they thought out this scene. It doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever on some playthoughs. Such as on Iorveth's Path if Iorveth is captured.

Wait how does that happen? I thought if you dont free him in the fight he gets captured and his path is blocked off to you?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wait how does that happen? I thought if you dont free him in the fight he gets captured and his path is blocked off to you?
The paths are never blocked off to you. What happens is: You meet up with Iorveth's lieutenants, who are pissed at you, but Zoltan convinces them that they need your help to rescue Iorveth, and so they're willing to give you a chance. You meet up with the Scoia'tael at night, you all sneak around the back of the town behind the wall and attack the port. You and Iorveth trade snide remarks as you free him.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 4, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm always too mad at Roche for loving thing up to not hand Iorveth his sword.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Any word on whether the Queen of Lyria and Rivia will be in the Witcher 3? She sounds pretty cool and :black101: from the stuff Ive read on the internet.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm always too mad at Roche for loving thing up to not hand Iorveth his sword.

To be fair its explained that it was Loredos men who hosed things up and to Roche's credit he was only trying to cover your rear end

Anyway I usually end up siding with the opposite side I initially help. If I knock out Iorveth I save his rear end, if I let Iorveth go I side with Roche. Actually I think letting Iorveth go and then siding with Roche helps add to the whole depressing atmosphere of Roche's path and I like how the race riots for giving Iorveth his sword add a greater impact to Roche's men announcing how much they hate this loving town

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 4, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, I was under the impressio that Lyria was the other Big Important State in the North, up there with Temeria, Kaedwen, Redaynia, and Aedirn. It only wasn't in this game because it doesn't border the Pontar.

SpRahl posted:

To be fair its explained that it was Loredos men who hosed things up and to Roche's credit he was only trying to cover your rear end

He was still going to try to take Iorveth, which greatly endangers your chances of picking up Letho simply by virtue of being there. Plus he shows no trust for you...although I suppose that's fair enough.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm playing the game a second time through on the 360, and it's a pretty drat good game, but I have a question about Roche's path: (sorry if this has been answered already) The assassins that tried to kill Henselt. If I did the Iorveth path instead (like I did the first time through), how the hell did Henselt survive that? Sile wasn't nearly quick enough that she could have saved him, and all of the guards around the camp were dead. I don't really see any reason why Henselt was alive to the end when playing Iorveth's side. Is this a plot hole of some kind, or am I just being stupid?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

smuh posted:

I'm playing the game a second time through on the 360, and it's a pretty drat good game, but I have a question about Roche's path: (sorry if this has been answered already) The assassins that tried to kill Henselt. If I did the Iorveth path instead (like I did the first time through), how the hell did Henselt survive that? Sile wasn't nearly quick enough that she could have saved him, and all of the guards around the camp were dead. I don't really see any reason why Henselt was alive to the end when playing Iorveth's side. Is this a plot hole of some kind, or am I just being stupid?

What I think is Serrit and Auckes are with the Scoatael Scoital rest of Iorveth's men. If he accompanies you he warns them before they Kingslayers can do anything (and these are the dudes that he brings to Vergen). If not, Iorveth is late getting to Vergen and the Kingslayers give em the slip

Alternative: Magic-canon. Don't worry about perfect casaulity. Think of each playthrough as a bunch of characters and plots put in a bag and shaken vigorously.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Doesn't Roche say on Iorveth's path that the tracked down and killed the Kingslayers or something? I thought the attempt didn't even happen on Iorveth's path. Butterfly effect and all I guess.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
We have some sort of countdown: http://www.thewitcher.com/KillingMonsters/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Said countdown is (most likely) for a CG trailer which has already been leaked.

Looks like the theme of Witcher neutrality is gonna be prevalent in this one.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
"Killing monsters."

That beard seems to have changed Geralt, and not for the cute and cuddlier.

Also, who do we imagine his riding companion is?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That trailer is pretty great.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Oh my.

I guess the only thing I don't like is that Geralt, always lanky/gangly and thin is now pretty big. Maybe it's just the armor, but especially the speed at which he moved (all 'magic world so shutup' rebukes aside) seemed totally out of whack for someone of that build. Although I guess Letho was able to do it. Whatever, minor thing and that trailer just gets me excited.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Holy poo poo :stare: CDPR really improves their CG scenes with each game; the new intro that came with W2:EE was amazing, and this is several steps above even that.

Ice Fist posted:

Oh my.

I guess the only thing I don't like is that Geralt, always lanky/gangly and thin is now pretty big. Maybe it's just the armor, but especially the speed at which he moved (all 'magic world so shutup' rebukes aside) seemed totally out of whack for someone of that build. Although I guess Letho was able to do it. Whatever, minor thing and that trailer just gets me excited.

I'd wager to say he looks svelter than he did in W2 (where a lot of the armor was bulkier, especially around the midsection). In the trailer, he has a lot of armor around his shoulders (while the rest is fairly form-fitting), and aside from the top layer of chain, most of it is padded, which might add to his size.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 14, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
That trailer was goddamn AMAZING! Geralt :swoon:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: CDPR really improves their CG scenes with each game; the new intro that came with W2:EE was amazing, and this is several steps above even that.

I'd wager to say he looks svelter than he did in W2 (where a lot of the armor was bulkier, especially around the midsection). In the trailer, he has a lot of armor around his shoulders (while the rest is fairly form-fitting), and aside from the top layer of chain, most of it is padded, which might add to his size.

The armor actually looks far more functional this time around, and I'm digging it's grimy, well-worn look. I also like how Geralt's clean-shaven stubble and stylish ponytail have given way to a scraggly beard and limp, dirty hair.

I think I'm going to really enjoy the tone of this final chapter.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Methinks Geralt's tolerance for bullshit is now at zero with his memories near-fully returned, and that is going to be so fun to play.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So Witcher 3 is it for Geralt? No Witcher 4-35? :smith:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Geralt is sure done playing nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I like Roche. In the very beginning of the game, before any of the prologue missions, you can piss him off so badly that he kills you right there. Funny poo poo. He really doesn't like being called a whoreson. Foltest was one of the only people that ever did anything for Roche, so he clearly wants to avenge his death. Roche is essentially using Geralt to achieve that revenge. They are definitely an unlikely duo working together, if the player so chooses that route--the alternative basically fucks him over. I'm sure that choice will play a part in the third game. Roche's hat owns, too. I can understand why Roche is bitter and a dick. Geralt tries to reason with him, but can't really relate to his situation. Even Triss mentions that Geralt is too hard on Roche during the drinking game quest, but he had recently helped save her life at that point. The biggest reveal for Witcher 3 is what's going on under that hat. I hope he takes it off slowly like a shampoo commercial, and then punches a small elf child to death. Classic Roche. He is a poo poo liar, though. When you roll into Flotsom, he says he's a spice trader, Emhyr Var Emheis. The guard just snorts at Vernon, like, "Not impressed." That's actually the name of the emperor of Nilfgaard. It's not like it would have mattered, really, because any answer he gave would have been viewed as a lie. Why not make it a spectacularly bad one?

Another fun fact, Geralt is like 100 years old :stare: Nobody knows how old witchers can live to, because no witcher has died of old age. Pretty badass. That old guy that Geralt was riding with could be Vessemir, the witcher mentor. Geralt is definitely a badass. The characters in this series are great. I want to see more Dandelion and more Roche. Plus, other important characters from Geralt's past that have been thus far unmentioned.

• Locked thread