Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
to complete the cycle, ruby has ampersand plus symbol.

Ruby code:
[1,2,3].map(&:to_s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

there's too little syntax in these examples for my taste, but I have just the thing

the key insight is to realize that names, identifiers and reserved words are not free literary expressions but subject to syntactic rules like the rest of the language features. so they should be written using syntax tokens too

pre:
[Ⅰ,Ⅱ,Ⅲ].ⓜⓐⓟ(≝ⓣⓞ_ⓢ)
as a bonus alphanumeric comments can be placed freely anywhere as the parser can simply skip over them

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
perl6 is great for all this poo poo
code:
perl6 -e '.say for 1..Inf;'
perl6 -e 'say $ಠ_ಠ.HOW;'

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
now that unicode is so prevalent the next bespoke web framework is going to be based on apl the language of the future

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uG posted:

perl6 is great for all this poo poo
code:
perl6 -e '.say for 1..Inf;'
perl6 -e 'say $ಠ_ಠ.HOW;'

I knew that unicode had a character with poop and I was ok with it. But POOP WITH EYES SMILING is a tad too far.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Malcolm XML posted:

Control.lens

>:)

lens is the best new library i've used in ages. even just using it as an upgrade to record syntax is totally worth it and i haven't even delved much into all the wacky poo poo it can also do

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
in the future haskell will be the nicest way to write in imperative, mutable, strict language

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that whole page is just a list of "don't hold it like that" tier problems

yeah it doesn't nest comprehensions correctly

the fix is don't nest comprehensions you rear end, humans can't understand that either

Nesting comprehensions is really loving simple, and there is no possible way that coffeescript's interpretation of them is remotely correct to anyone.

You didn't look at old versions of that page did you? I know people who've been made to use coffeescript for over a year.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I mean, srsly
code:
$ coffee -e 'spaces = / +/'
Error: Parse error on line 1: Unexpected 'MATH'

$ coffee -bce 'invalid = /+/'
// Generated by CoffeeScript 1.3.3
var invalid;

invalid = /+/;

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zombywuf posted:

Nesting comprehensions is really loving simple, and there is no possible way that coffeescript's interpretation of them is remotely correct to anyone.

You didn't look at old versions of that page did you? I know people who've been made to use coffeescript for over a year.

and i've willingly used it for longer than that, it's fine and if you have issues with it you're either using javascript for the wrong thing or an idiot/autist that demands to use it wrong despite all indications that it's inappropriate for what you're doing

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

http://rumoursdb.com dangit node.js people

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

after messing with it a bit i still don't really know why i'd want to use coffeescript instead of javascript + underscore, but i don't like significant whitespace soooo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

quote:

You build your own database by assembling community developed plugins

the poo poo does this even mean

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

lmao

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can't wait for the chicken leg framework with their rapping basketball logo

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

http://html5homi.es/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

QPZIL posted:

the poo poo does this even mean

leveldb is just a library to do database storage
tacodb is a node.js binding for leveldb

which means actually being a database is something you have to do yourself. tacodb just handles calling into C for you

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

AlsoD posted:

lens is the best new library i've used in ages. even just using it as an upgrade to record syntax is totally worth it and i haven't even delved much into all the wacky poo poo it can also do

Unfortunately
code:
was not an emote, but an operator

I've watched ekmett attempt to explain lens a few times and i still have no idea what half the poo poo in Control.Lens does

maybe some day

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

:wow: :eyepop:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fidel sarcastro posted:

after messing with it a bit i still don't really know why i'd want to use coffeescript instead of javascript + underscore, but i don't like significant whitespace soooo

my theory is that some people have deep-seated resentment towards curly braces

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Malcolm XML posted:

Unfortunately
code:
was not an emote, but an operator

I've watched ekmett attempt to explain lens a few times and i still have no idea what half the poo poo in Control.Lens does

maybe some day

http://twanvl.nl/files/lenses-talk-2011-05-17.pdf is a good general overview to lenses but the stuff in control.lens is more complicated than that - i believe they're like van laarhoven lenses but with more polymorphism (don't quote me on that)

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

MononcQc posted:

the rumour is that it works lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
"A responsive database for responsive applications, core features strongly suite realtime."

i have no idea what responsive means or real-time means any more.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
"tacodb is a responsive database, for responsive applications.

instead of quering the database - you effectively tell the database what you are interested in, and then the database tells you when that changes."

so, uh, this is a pub/sub broker. but because it's persistent it's a database. maybe it's like triggers who knows

i was kinda angry about this then i saw what is happening in egypt and for a moment I stopped caring about this pithy trivial nerd crap

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tacodb is a node.js binding for leveldb

which means actually being a database is something you have to do yourself. tacodb just handles calling into C for you

nope, it's not even that

it adds callbacks or something

tef posted:

"A responsive database for responsive applications, core features strongly suite realtime."

i have no idea what responsive means or real-time means any more.

http://dominictarr.com/post/44516618714/working-around-the-cap-theorem-with-rumours-db

quote:

Suppose the libraries are all on different islands, and books and book requests are carried between the islands by brave librarian-sailors. The librarians are brave, but not fearless, and sometimes the inter-loan service is disrupted because of poor weather. At certain times of the year, disruptions are more frequent.

When you go to your local library to get a book out, there is always a chance that there is a new edition of that book that the library doesn’t even know about yet. You could check out a book, read it, return it, and then later, a new edition arrives at your library, fixing important errors in the edition that you read.

How do you know that you are reading the latest edition of your book? Especially in inclement weather?

You can’t. That is what the CAP theorem teaches us.

What kind of systems can you build if you don’t ever know if your data is true? Well, not systems you can really trust, at least.

So, what do you do if you need to know that the data you got was actually up to date? The best you can do is keep on checking back at the library to see if a new edition has arrived. Naively polling the database — but this multiplies reads and decreases performance!

A database-like phone service which has the CAP problem is described in A plain english introduction to the CAP Theorem. In certain scenarios, the clients of the service make a request, which is answered with what turns out to be out-of-date information. This explanation gives us a clue: the clients call the service on their telephones, but the service does not take advantage of the fact that telephones provide two-way communication.

If the clients had to keep calling back to check if information had changed, it would be very annoying for both the clients and the service. But if the service had the client’s phone numbers, the service could call back the clients when the information they are interested in changes, instead of hoping that the client will call back in time to make use of the new information.

This is my proposal: A “database” with push notifications!

what if the service callbacks never come

what if the client is disconnected from the servers

is there a checklist or easy form you can fill out and give to people that think they've escaped the cruel grasp of dr. eric brewer's cap theorem

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
there is an emoji 💩

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
is it poop?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

so, uh, this is a pub/sub broker. but because it's persistent it's a database. maybe it's like triggers who knows

a bad sqlite that's hard to query

who would have guessed it would be a node.js thing

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f4a9/index.htm

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nope, it's not even that

it adds callbacks or something

http://dominictarr.com/post/44516618714/working-around-the-cap-theorem-with-rumours-db

what if the service callbacks never come

what if the client is disconnected from the servers

is there a checklist or easy form you can fill out and give to people that think they've escaped the cruel grasp of dr. eric brewer's cap theorem
Open at least N/2+1 connections to different replicas of the DB and then behave like the group leader in a quorum protocol it's super easy come on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol oh poo poo

https://vimeo.com/70232116

i saw this dude talk

the whole presentation was basically "makin' a bad database out of javascript and a disk store"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

But what if there is another approach? What if, instead of trying to build a better database, we built something that isn’t a database, and so simply avoids the assumptions of the CAP theorem by stepping outside it? But what would this mean? What is a database, really?

it means you built something useless in javascript, dingus

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

and lets make the obvious "redundant" joke for good measure

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I need to have a checklist like that.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

wait where does he say that i want to hear the words

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

What is a database, really?
a miserable pile of segments

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
http://technical.io/

quote:

WHAT IS TESSEL

Tessel is an Internet-connected microcontroller for software developers.

Embedded development is as easy as coding a web or mobile app. Or prototype a physical product, and refine the experience with telemetry and updates over Wifi. Create new ways to connect your life beyond a screen.

Tessel runs JavaScript right on the device—no server necessary. Use your own IDE and libraries to program it, just like web development. Uploading new firmware is as easy as tessel push!

Tessel supports packages from NPM to leverage the growing Node.js community and capabilities. That's HTTP, Twitter, web server, color, and async support right out of the box.

:getin:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lisp machines reborn better and stronger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

git clone trooper posted:

lisp machines reborn better and stronger

nah it's not nearly that cool, it just comes with a JS API for developing on it. think of it like arduino's java APIs

(which is neat in itself - regardless of your feelings on javascript, i think we can all agree that lowering the barrier to entry for embedded development is a Good Thing)