Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's also probably slow as poo poo and a bitch to drive in anything but a gentle straight slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

At first I believed this Kickstarter for a company that makes adult-sized tricycles to be some sort of commentary on people who refuse to grow up. But no, he really does want you to buy his upsized novelty tricycle toys. Apparently he got the idea during a superhero-themed birthday party his wife threw him. :psyduck:

I can't imagine why there would be any sort of demand for this product, but at least the marketing looks nice.

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.
Starcraft Universe: since Blizzard doesn't give us a SC MMO, we'll just make one ourselves!

Of course, they claim that it's just a SC2 mod created with the available toolkit so it's fair use. And it's sound reasoning. The only problems I can find with it are that they're getting a shitload of money under the guise of "donations" and, more importantly, Blizzard already COD'd this mod once.

They say that "In this update we'd like to affirm that Blizzard Entertainment HAS given Upheaval Arts permission to launch this Kickstarter". I'm skeptical - the Final Fantasy Advent Cosplay guys said the same and they've been shot down. Will this be legitimate or are we witnessing another episode of "I thought trademarks didn't apply to me", everybody's favourite Kickstarter sitcom?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Adult babies. We're looking at another stealth fetish object, I'm almost certain.

a medical mystery posted:

I can't imagine why there would be any sort of demand for this product, but at least the marketing looks nice.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

John Videogames posted:

They say that "In this update we'd like to affirm that Blizzard Entertainment HAS given Upheaval Arts permission to launch this Kickstarter".
Well one thing Blizzard is known for is their lax attitude over people trading on their IPs.

No wait I mean they hate that with a fiery passion and there's no way on earth these people have anything approaching actual permission.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

John Videogames posted:

They say that "In this update we'd like to affirm that Blizzard Entertainment HAS given Upheaval Arts permission to launch this Kickstarter".

(No StarCraft purchase required)

Yea Blizzard is going to be completely cool with people playing for free and especially considering how they probably won't get any money from the Kickstarter.

Goodbye Starcraft Universe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there even really a demand for a Starcraft MMO? It'd just Warcraft in space! You'd need huge raid groups to make battles accurate to the original game.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Is there even really a demand for a Starcraft MMO? It'd just Warcraft in space! You'd need huge raid groups to make battles accurate to the original game.

It's actually already a mod in the Starcraft 2 arcade. Even got featured once! I couldn't tell you how good it is though, I tried it once and the controls were super clunky. I'm guessing just because you can use an RTS toolkit to make non-RTS games doesn't mean they'll work very well.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

WickedHate posted:

You obviously haven't seen the hype for Warhammer in Space my friend.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OrganizedInsanity posted:

You obviously haven't seen the hype for Warhammer in Space my friend.

You've got me there. I'm surprised I haven't seen any Warhammer/40k-Warcraft/Starcraft crossovers on Kickstarter, now that I think about it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fondue posted:

It's poser. He's doing everything in poser and then smudging the hell out of it to turn it into 'art'.

I don't think that's DAZ or Poser, unless he's using some of the first generation stuff. I've worked with both programs so I can usually tell when someone is using commonly available assets. That's usually the mark of an amateur there and I've played that game of "guess what DAZ product they just bought" way too often.

I think it's worse than that, I think those are actually models he's made.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

John Videogames posted:

Starcraft Universe: since Blizzard doesn't give us a SC MMO, we'll just make one ourselves!

Of course, they claim that it's just a SC2 mod created with the available toolkit so it's fair use. And it's sound reasoning. The only problems I can find with it are that they're getting a shitload of money under the guise of "donations" and, more importantly, Blizzard already COD'd this mod once.

They say that "In this update we'd like to affirm that Blizzard Entertainment HAS given Upheaval Arts permission to launch this Kickstarter". I'm skeptical - the Final Fantasy Advent Cosplay guys said the same and they've been shot down. Will this be legitimate or are we witnessing another episode of "I thought trademarks didn't apply to me", everybody's favourite Kickstarter sitcom?
Well, according to Kotaku, Blizzard actually flew the guys behind this out to them before the Kickstarter launched. So they might actually be telling the truth about having permission to do this.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's actually already a mod in the Starcraft 2 arcade. Even got featured once! I couldn't tell you how good it is though, I tried it once and the controls were super clunky. I'm guessing just because you can use an RTS toolkit to make non-RTS games doesn't mean they'll work very well.

Try telling that to people who play Dota-clones though and they'll flip their poo poo on you.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Try telling that to people who play Dota-clones though and they'll flip their poo poo on you.

Dota and its ilk are close enough to RTS games that it doesn't matter as much. I'm more talking about games that deviate away from "click on screen to move mans/click on object to interact/press hotkeys for abilities."

Although apparently there's a platformer on the Starcraft arcade so who knows!? I'd expect movement to be just as clunky as Starcraft Universe but that seems like a total dealbreaker for a platform game.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

WickedHate posted:

You've got me there. I'm surprised I haven't seen any Warhammer/40k-Warcraft/Starcraft crossovers on Kickstarter, now that I think about it.

Games Workshop is pretty notorious for protecting its IP. It's plus since that's why we got the amazing DoW series but then it also means nothing gets under their nose if its lovely (i.e. 80% of kickstarter). Only non-endorsed thing I've seen is that inquisitor movie coming out and I'm pretty sure that's just because they're still dealing with the fallout from their own craptastic movie.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I put 65$ towards a cool project at the time which has deteriorated into a pile of undelivered poo poo, and the creator and his "designer" who have no experience delivering the one reward I pledged (should have known) are crying that they're really, almost, seriously close to delivering basically an aborted version of the original idea.

What the hell are you supposed to do?

I see most people just stir up poo poo and try to get dodgy press involved, but I see a few people have filed lawsuits with surprising success. I have asked for a refund a number of times now and they literally said "read Kickstarter TOS we don't owe you poo poo," whereas I quoted back to them they're legally liable for the money I gave via the same TOS.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Not an Anthem posted:

I put 65$ towards a cool project at the time which has deteriorated into a pile of undelivered poo poo, and the creator and his "designer" who have no experience delivering the one reward I pledged (should have known) are crying that they're really, almost, seriously close to delivering basically an aborted version of the original idea.

I see most people just stir up poo poo and try to get dodgy press involved, but I see a few people have filed lawsuits with surprising success. I have asked for a refund a number of times now and they literally said "read Kickstarter TOS we don't owe you poo poo," whereas I quoted back to them they're legally liable for the money I gave via the same TOS.

What was it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Threatening legal action usually nets results if people are being a dick.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I don't think it entirely right that Kickstarter tries to enforce, or at least encourage refunds. It seems like a move to placate backers, in the same way ebay bends to sellers because they need to keep them happy, where buyers are dependent.

I'm not saying that people should be free to walk off with your money, but if Kickstarter is working right then you're giving money to people who are at risk of failure, and do not have the means to refund on losses if the project genuinely fails.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Protocol7 posted:

Threatening legal action usually nets results if people are being a dick.

Threatening legal action can also be risky for yourself. I let the guy know I didn't want to be a dick and start a food fight, and that if I wasn't offered a refund I would have to exhaust all legal measures.

keithy george posted:

I don't think it entirely right that Kickstarter tries to enforce, or at least encourage refunds. It seems like a move to placate backers, in the same way ebay bends to sellers because they need to keep them happy, where buyers are dependent.

I'm not saying that people should be free to walk off with your money, but if Kickstarter is working right then you're giving money to people who are at risk of failure, and do not have the means to refund on losses if the project genuinely fails.

You're giving strangers your money and you want less control over it? I don't pledge projects usually because I know people have no idea how to do the things they're promising (usually injection molding or any sort of manufacturing), am I to just turn into a one man charity for unskilled inexperienced day-dreamers?

Kickstarter DOESN'T encourage/enforce refunds. Legally, the person starting a project is bound to the contract they offer and you can personally sue them if it isn't completed.

Not an Anthem has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Aug 14, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

fondue posted:

It's poser. He's doing everything in poser and then smudging the hell out of it to turn it into 'art'.

Not smudging, it's probably a basic cutout filter from the looks of it. I've seen some people do some really nice things with 3d models and photo editing before but they usually do the cartoony shaders and go from there rather than the default gross glossy sheen. It's actually a thing studios do where they take the character model and give it to an artist to touch up and paint more details on for box cover art.

This is nothing like that though :v:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

opaopa13 posted:

You guys. :3:

New Sticky Note on my Desk for future proffesionalism as a student, buisiness person, and generally someone who wants a job and not to be a douche, "NEVER SAY 'You Guys' EVER"

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

keithy george posted:

The issue though is that right now Kickstarter has no incentive to moderate its projects since it's the only party that's guaranteed to profit from a funded project. The only time they've ever gone back is from the PUA book after SJW people spammed the hell out of it but you can bet if it ever comes up again, they'll still let it fund.

Without any liability for refunds/enforcement Kickstarter actually has incentive to not patrol its projects at all because they have nothing to lose. Every time this debate occurs it always gets thrown out that backers aren't customers and therefore don't get any rights. That's complete bull since when you are funding directly for one or more items, that ipad stand lawsuit only reinforces it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Not an Anthem posted:

If you think about kickstarter as an avenue for venture capital at its smallest scale, then you have to understand that there is an inherit risk of failure. Unless there was legitimate fraud occurring, then you really are poo poo out of luck on a legal front.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

keithy george posted:

Projects aren't required to promise the sun and the moon for reward tiers, and if they didn't they'd be pretty much free to gently caress off with the money and spend it however they pleased, succeed or fail, they just don't because everyone wants to use Kickstarter as a trendy preorder system which hooks thems into actual contractual obligations to generate a set return.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

mks5000 posted:

If you think about kickstarter as an avenue for venture capital at its smallest scale, then you have to understand that there is an inherit risk of failure. Unless there was legitimate fraud occurring, then you really are poo poo out of luck on a legal front.

I've seen others have success in mounting personal lawsuits for breach of contract so I guess that's my last resort. They promised a physical product.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

I've seen others have success in mounting personal lawsuits for breach of contract so I guess that's my last resort. They promised a physical product.

Could you link some of these? The only lawsuit I've been able to find is the iPad lawsuit that was dropped.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

You're giving strangers your money and you want less control over it? I don't pledge projects usually because I know people have no idea how to do the things they're promising (usually injection molding or any sort of manufacturing), am I to just turn into a one man charity for unskilled inexperienced day-dreamers?
If you think they're not going to succeed, then don't give them money. If people could make the product without funding, they should do so. If they think it's viable to make and they can fund it themselves, then they should ideally do that. If people have to refund on genuinely failed projects, then Kickstarter is just an avenue for people to get themselves into debt when their project fails and they don't have the money to pay it back. Except instead of working something out with their bank, they have a breakdown after being harassed by 500 people.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Except, again, you don't owe donators poo poo unless you go out of your way to make deliverable rewards part of your donation incentives. Which is totally optional on Kickstarter, and wasn't even an officially encouraged thing. Most projects opt to do it anyway, because while you can totally skip that step and all associated liability nobody wants to loving fund your project if you do.

What do you want, here, should all Internet users be required to give a portion of their salary to some random guy's fantasy project? It's not Amazon imposing these conditions on their clients, it's users imposing them on themselves in order to attract money. If you make guarantees, promises, and purchases explicitly legally unenforceable, then Kickstarter funding just reverts to the level it's at for the existing charity cases, and all you've done is eliminated the option to actually make money easily via crowdfunding.

Tubgirl Cosplay has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Aug 14, 2013

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I understand that there's plenty of flaws with what I'm saying. What I don't understand is why yourself and Not an Anthem both went with: "Should we be forced to give our money away?". Where did that come from? I think Kickstarter should be a place that acknowledges risk more, and that would result in less projects being funded.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Because that was the way it started out, and the way it remains for tons of projects, and they make no money relative to the people who opted not to do that and instead trade some level of legal responsibility for the vastly larger pool of backers who'd rather see some guaranteed return for their money. It's not The Man keeping your Kickstarter project down, here, there's nothing special about Kickstarter or their ToS itself, and if Amazon somehow posted up some binding legal agreement that nothing anybody voluntarily promised or advertised on their project page needed to ever be true then all that'd mean would be an exodus of money from Kickstarter to the non-retarded crowdfunding sites that kept client businesses vaguely answerable to their customers. I get that you're, like, taking a moral stand against small businesses making money as some sort of libertopian ideal, it's just that your point is stupid and nobody actually involved wants that to happen, which is why this alternate agreement model came about.

Tubgirl Cosplay has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Aug 14, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My guess is, if you're running a Kickstarter or other crowdfunded project, that the best way to avoid liability is to keep accurate accounting records. That way, if the project fails and people start asking for refunds, you can show them how their money was spent and why you can't exactly return it.

Now, if there's a big chunk devoted to "networking" or some other category where you know it's them taking trips or going to bars and what not and having fun at your expense, then you can probably make a legal case.

MVega
Jan 20, 2012

You're disgusted at yourself. You don't want to betray any more. Now you want to respect the law. Some give flowers. Some, precious objects. You bring me your life as a gift. You are not afraid to die. This is why you are a dangerous enemy.
I just made my own awful campaign if anyone is interested in helping me out. I'll take any reasonable advice or requests.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/give-me-a-bunch-of-money

Regrettably I really suck at the funny lately. How would you improve it?

EDIT: By "improve" I mean make it shittier.

MVega has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Aug 14, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Not ape a Penny Arcade comic directly, for starters.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MVega posted:

I just made my own awful campaign if anyone is interested in helping me out. I'll take any reasonable advice or requests.

Live life with a modicum of sincerity and actually expend effort towards improving yourself rather than wallowing in a quagmire of irony where everything you do sucks but, like, you know it sucks so that makes it funny haha.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

MVega posted:

EDIT: By "improve" I mean make it shittier.

Do you actually need money? I'm sorta scared people will confuse you're irony and actually give you money for your medical procedure.

MVega
Jan 20, 2012

You're disgusted at yourself. You don't want to betray any more. Now you want to respect the law. Some give flowers. Some, precious objects. You bring me your life as a gift. You are not afraid to die. This is why you are a dangerous enemy.

Do you actually need money? I'm sorta scared people will confuse you're irony and actually give you money for your medical procedure.

No I actually need money which is why I posted some of my medical files. But if I just did [title: "help pay my bills"] I just think I'd just be white noise. I mean I'd like for my serious summary to come across as such but I don't know if maybe its coming across off as insincere. I don't want to make a gloomy campaign since that's not me. As I said people give me more than $3500 it won't be used on medical bills but a creative endeavor instead.

But maybe I'm giving people the wrong idea. I mean yes I need the money for my medical bills because I'm sick but I don't want it to be morose and I'm not sure how to achieve both.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

MVega posted:

No I actually need money which is why I posted some of my medical files. But if I just did [title: "help pay my bills"] I just think I'd just be white noise. I mean I'd like for my serious summary to come across as such but I don't know if maybe its coming across off as insincere. I don't want to make a gloomy campaign since that's not me. As I said people give me more than $3500 it won't be used on medical bills but a creative endeavor instead.

But maybe I'm giving people the wrong idea. I mean yes I need the money for my medical bills because I'm sick but I don't want it to be morose and I'm not sure how to achieve both.

Ah, I don't know if you need to change anything, it just struck me as kinda weird since all your prizes are jokes and you joke but you also post that you have a serious medical illness. I was just weirded since you apparently live in an amazing house too. Do you actually need the money? I'd shoot you like $20

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Wait, you're actually sincere about needing the money? Or is this another layer of irony? I can't even tell anymore.

Maybe it's just because of the way you posted in the thread, but it made it seem like you were just making fun of people who turn to Kickstarter to try to pay their medical bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wonder what he'll do if he gets two pledges for World Peace?