Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

I wonder what he'll do if he gets two pledges for World Peace?

They cancel out :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MVega
Jan 20, 2012

You're disgusted at yourself. You don't want to betray any more. Now you want to respect the law. Some give flowers. Some, precious objects. You bring me your life as a gift. You are not afraid to die. This is why you are a dangerous enemy.

dijon du jour posted:

Wait, you're actually sincere about needing the money? Or is this another layer of irony? I can't even tell anymore.

Maybe it's just because of the way you posted in the thread, but it made it seem like you were just making fun of people who turn to Kickstarter to try to pay their medical bills.

Oh sorry about that. That wasn't my intention. I wanted to make fun of lovely Kickstarter projects but I didn't intend to make fun of people that use crowdfunding to pay for medical expenses.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Ah, I don't know if you need to change anything, it just struck me as kinda weird since all your prizes are jokes and you joke but you also post that you have a serious medical illness. I was just weirded since you apparently live in an amazing house too. Do you actually need the money? I'd shoot you like $20

I mean yes all my prizes are joke prizes but I do sincerely intend on fulfilling them. Also I'm not sure which house you're referring to unless its the photograph of the giant aquarium which is actually a different person (not me). The $3500 is for my medical expenses.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

They cancel out :getin:

We'll find an inhabited planet and inflict world peace there too.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

MVega posted:

No I actually need money which is why I posted some of my medical files. But if I just did [title: "help pay my bills"] I just think I'd just be white noise. I mean I'd like for my serious summary to come across as such but I don't know if maybe its coming across off as insincere. I don't want to make a gloomy campaign since that's not me. As I said people give me more than $3500 it won't be used on medical bills but a creative endeavor instead.

But maybe I'm giving people the wrong idea. I mean yes I need the money for my medical bills because I'm sick but I don't want it to be morose and I'm not sure how to achieve both.

I basically tried to make an identical campaign idea to this a few months ago because I was struggling with my bills and it did not go over well, I was open about how I am on disability and was just looking for help and I got a grand total of zero dollars. Yours is for a much better reason than a looming eviction though, so I do hope this actually works out for you, I can't imagine what having to pay for an MRI you need is like.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

MVega posted:

Oh sorry about that. That wasn't my intention. I wanted to make fun of lovely Kickstarter projects but I didn't intend to make fun of people that use crowdfunding to pay for medical expenses.

I mean yes all my prizes are joke prizes but I do sincerely intend on fulfilling them. Also I'm not sure which house you're referring to unless its the photograph of the giant aquarium which is actually a different person (not me). The $3500 is for my medical expenses.

Huh, maybe its because you posted it on this thread. I got the impression the entire thing was a joke and you were the guy owning the amazing house and aquarium.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
We've done it, we've crossed over the insincerity event horizon. Nothing is real, anything is possible, all you have to do to be funny is say a thing that's not.

Seriously you're throwing around a lot of like random stock photos of dogs and mansions and stuff in with scans of medical forms and "jokes" and I have no idea going from that page that you intend anything in there to not be total bullshit, and it really makes me disinclined to believe any explanation of it you make here. This isn't how you use irony or satire or whatever you're going for.

Tubgirl Cosplay has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Aug 14, 2013

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

We've done it, we've crossed over the insincerity event horizon. Nothing is real, anything is possible, all you have to do to be funny is say a thing that's not.

Seriously you're throwing around a lot of like random stock photos of dogs and mansions and stuff in with scans of medical forms and "jokes" and I have no idea going from that page that you intend anything in there to not be total bullshit, and it really makes me disinclined to believe any explanation of it you make here. This isn't how you use irony or satire or whatever you're going for.

In a way he's achieved the perfect kickstarter then!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jedit posted:

I wonder what he'll do if he gets two pledges for World Peace?

He'll give them a sign that says "world peace".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I'm working on a better way to sort out irony and separate obviously fake funding attempts from legitimate ones, but I'm gonna need some funds to take it any further...

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Nipponophile posted:

I'm working on a better way to sort out irony and separate obviously fake funding attempts from legitimate ones, but I'm gonna need some funds to take it any further...

Do you offer reward tiers such as imaginary magical items or maybe a hi-larious cheesy intangible in place of a thing of value? I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth unless I'm the butt of my very own dumb joke.

VV Well that sort of thing wouldn't be unprecedented but you'd need an actual model more sophisticated than "Kickstart my sob story"

Tubgirl Cosplay has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Aug 14, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I wonder if it's possible to start some sort of medical crowd-funding site? Or maybe a medical charity that goes on kickstarter every once and a while to raise funds to distribute to people who need funds ?

The problem of course being that I don't think people would crowd-fund stuff like that because it isn't politically loaded (ie send my daughter to camp to fight the patriarchy) or hobby related.

Edit: It sucks to even have to consider things like this because insurance sucks so hard.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

PrinceRandom posted:

I wonder if it's possible to start some sort of medical crowd-funding site? Or maybe a medical charity that goes on kickstarter every once and a while to raise funds to distribute to people who need funds ?

The problem of course being that I don't think people would crowd-fund stuff like that because it isn't politically loaded (ie send my daughter to camp to fight the patriarchy) or hobby related.

Edit: It sucks to even have to consider things like this because insurance sucks so hard.

Donald Trump's got you covered . Just remember that they'll take 9% of your funds if it doesn't fund.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
That article is hilarious. I'm having a hard time deciphering if its serious or an onion style piece.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Nnep posted:

That article is hilarious. I'm having a hard time deciphering if its serious or an onion style piece.

Its actually real, the site charges a 9% upfront fee for the project and if it gets funded he'll lower that fee down to 5%

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

"I may be too successful" is rarely a risk factor for Kickstarters. In this case it isn't at all.

I think the only one it's ever been an actual risk for is Ogre, where the product is now slightly larger than a volkswagon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

monster on a stick posted:

"I may be too successful" is rarely a risk factor for Kickstarters.

I have a vague memory of several projects where the project creators found it impossible to fulfill the pledge rewards after they got way more backers than they're ever expected and the economies of scale spiraled out of their control.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Donald Trump's got you covered . Just remember that they'll take 9% of your funds if it doesn't fund.

9%/5% is about the same as indiegogo (9%/4%) and kickstarter (5% for funded projects).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I have a vague memory of several projects where the project creators found it impossible to fulfill the pledge rewards after they got way more backers than they're ever expected and the economies of scale spiraled out of their control.

That's a completely controllable risk though since you can limit the amount of each reward. If you have a cap on how much you can produce by the deadline, just cap the number of people who can claim that reward, easy.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

wa27 posted:

9%/5% is about the same as indiegogo (9%/4%) and kickstarter (5% for funded projects).

Wait, Indie-gogo takes money from you when you don't fund?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wait, Indie-gogo takes money from you when you don't fund?

Well, only with flexible funding, so 99% of indiegogo projects.
http://www.indiegogo.com/how-pricing-works-on-indiegogo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fatkraken posted:

That's a completely controllable risk though since you can limit the amount of each reward. If you have a cap on how much you can produce by the deadline, just cap the number of people who can claim that reward, easy.

That'd require a level of planning and maths skills way beyond most people on KS.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wa27 posted:

Well, only with flexible funding, so 99% of indiegogo projects.
http://www.indiegogo.com/how-pricing-works-on-indiegogo

Makes sense. You also have to pay another 3% in third-party fees like credit card processing, so it's actually more like 12%.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
RPG Maker is still as popular of a tool as it was ten years ago, I see. Pay him five bucks, and he'll let you 'answer a question in the game'. I think this means he'll let you decide on a gameplay feature. If it wasn't a flexible funding campaign I'd donate just to suggest not using the default face icons.

It's a portable coffee filter that connects with a mason jar. I think I have one of those around here somewhere, except it's plastic, works with any bottle I want, and it cost me 99 cents or something close to that. It's not an ~authentic, artisan~ filter though, so I will have to live in shame with the knowledge my poor knockoff can't be used to make coffee as tasty as the 27 dollar real-deal.

NEW KIND OF ASTRONAUT for make your growth taller!!! I'm not entirely sure, but I think he intends to continuously stretch his limbs for a full month with the goal of 'growing' taller. If his experiments are successful, he'll share the secret with the rest of the world.

Give me 2000 dollars so I can cover my studio floor in gravel. Somehow this will magically make him a better artist, because it reprograms his subconsciousness or something. Personally I hope that when his year of living on gravel is over he comes to the conclusion that it didn't help him make any better art, and that what he really needed to become better was to have three hungry tigers lurking around his house.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Code Hero is still puttering along, apparently? They are claiming a new beta release is soon, and that they will do weekly updates instead of hardly any updates. We'll see, I guess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why do RPG Maker users even need money?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The software is like $70 (#35 on sale). Money don't just grow on trees :colbert:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Packstand posted:

Well they just raised $3,200,000 in one day.. so at this rate $32,000,000 isn't far off.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

welp.

Thats probably the most high profile funding failure I've seen since this whole crowdfunding fad started.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zybourne Clock posted:

RPG Maker is still as popular of a tool as it was ten years ago, I see. Pay him five bucks, and he'll let you 'answer a question in the game'. I think this means he'll let you decide on a gameplay feature. If it wasn't a flexible funding campaign I'd donate just to suggest not using the default face icons.

Apparently their official music is by someone named Steven Ramon. The update proclaiming this provides no links to this person's work, nor any information about them. Great job guys!

WickedHate posted:

Depends. They could want money so they can work full time on their "masterpiece." Or they could want money to hire someone else to work on the game forwith them. Or they could need money to hire a competent artist or musician or writer.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Zybourne Clock posted:

Bog standard RTP/character generator crap. Half the people who use RPG Maker don't even bother with anything more interesting than "shite JRPG that might be created by a random generator", all with the same three variations of half a plot and the same poo poo-tastic battle system. It's a legit development tool in the right hands, but ironically its intended purpose is probably the thing it does the worst out of the box.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

duck monster posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

welp.

Thats probably the most high profile funding failure I've seen since this whole crowdfunding fad started.

Holy hell, it's a $10 million failure. :stare:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

QwertyAsher posted:

I think the only one it's ever been an actual risk for is Ogre, where the product is now slightly larger than a volkswagon

drat you Ogre! I just want my GURPS back :(

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy hell, it's a $10 million failure. :stare:

Holy poo poo, they pulled in more money than OUYA. Although these guys won't see a cent.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Zybourne Clock posted:

Give me 2000 dollars so I can cover my studio floor in gravel. Somehow this will magically make him a better artist, because it reprograms his subconsciousness or something. Personally I hope that when his year of living on gravel is over he comes to the conclusion that it didn't help him make any better art, and that what he really needed to become better was to have three hungry tigers lurking around his house.

What the hell? He wants $2000 for 4 tons of gravel. A cursory glance at local dealers shows about $350 per 12 yards of gravel, and 12 yards is upwards of 27,000 pounds of gravel.

I searched for his specific 'Mexican Beach Pebbles' and found a site selling them as 'building stones' for $580 per ton. This is more than 10x the cost of other gravels on the same page. He could get three times the amount of gravel for like 18% of the cost. He ain't buying Mexican Beach Pebbles. He's gonna buy $100 worth of typical pea gravel or cobble and pocket the difference.

Well, he would, but it won't get funded.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zybourne Clock posted:

I love it when aspiring artists try and ascribe their lack of inspiration/output/talent to external factors like this. Like when a wanna-be writer swears that once they get an old-timey typewriter and a cool desk they'll be inspired instead of just sitting down and loving writing. Or the aspiring artist who has zero handle on perspective and anatomy but swears that their problem is that they don't have a tablet.

VVVVVV Sweet, so it's like an even more transparently scammy version of those Who's Who In Poetry books that every oblivious, well-meaning English teacher in the country has pushed on their students at one point or another.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Aug 16, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Remember the Paula Deen-inspired cookbook from a few pages ago? Backers could send in their recipes and the project starter would somehow make a book from all the collected materials. This man skips the 'recipes' step altogether and lets you send in any personal story you please. At first he wanted to restrict himself to just collecting stories about people in the US, but then he decided to dream big and collect stories from the entire world. The funny thing is that he thinks he is the first person to dip his toe in the unexplored ocean of collaborative writing, when in reality at least one project like this pops up on KickStarter every week.

"If you don't use your mind, you become an idiot" said the least self-aware person in the known universe, seconds before stopping the recording and sending the voice clip to his friend Matt. For a few seconds he pondered what it truly meant to send electronic mail, and asserted himself the electrons were merely following the laws of cause and effect. The universe made sense, and he sighed a sigh of relief as he reached for his phone to make dinner arrangements. Dr. Lewis wanted a pepperoni pizza, but St. John insisted on tuna. 'Pepperoni!' yelled one headmate. 'Tuna!' yelled the other. A minor kerfuffle erupted in Josh's mind. Sharing a mind with two other people of different faiths was not without its struggles, especially when one of them was a saint in a previous life.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zybourne Clock posted:

The best part about this is his $1 donation feature.
"We don't have any art talent at all, so you can PAY US to put your assets into our game!"

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
What better way to honor the disaster at Chernobyl than a coffee table book?

Give us money to print a cheesecake calendar cookbook that uses breast milk as an ingredient in all of its recipes.

ART

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
Mother's milk sure knows how to market.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like how on one side of things you have pretty normal people like the 'breastfeeding in public shouldn't be seen as sexual and looked down on' crowd, and then you apparently have the people selling breast milk cookbooks where literally every photo has a big ol pair of titties in them just hanging out unrelated. I feel like there was a communication error somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

When I went they gave a brief presentation after we got there and passed around a coffee table book. It was in Ukrainian though. It would probably be better to just translate that than fund a vacation for somebody who evidently neither a photographer nor a writer. And tours are really limited these days since the building are falling apart.