Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

e: f,b

Nobody ever said they'd pass the savings onto the customers.

I suppose some bean counter did an analysis that getting the extra margin they'd get on the 4 additional months of service w/ no new phone outweighed the risk of someone shopping for carriers. Their churn rate is a little below 1%, so I guess you'd price the "risk of losing a customer" at 1% of 24 months' worth of profit margin. That's going to be way less than what you'd make in extra profit right now by forcing people to run out the clock on their contracts.

That's probably part of it but the major reason it was changed is that customers (and sometimes employees) would assume the upgrade date was actually the contract end date. Confusion leads to pissed off customers.

Also Verizon conducted some surveys and found the majority of customers were completely unaware of the 4-month early rule so if it was removed they would in theory never notice. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

That's probably part of it but the major reason it was changed is that customers (and sometimes employees) would assume the upgrade date was actually the contract end date. Confusion leads to pissed off customers.

Also Verizon conducted some surveys and found the majority of customers were completely unaware of the 4-month early rule so if it was removed they would in theory never notice. :ninja:

This is how it usually played out when I talked to customers also.

95% of them just have the words "2 year contract" burned into their minds, and assumed that's when they can get their new phones. Couple that with the fact that if you're on a family plan, you're pretty much stuck with them until the end of time because peoples lines have different contract end dates, and to bring all of them over would see families paying ETF fees on 2+ lines almost all the time, which is a shitton of money to expect people to plop down all at once.

Plus, if you're on Verizon usually the only equivalent is ATT. Sprint and Tmobile's service zones are still a joke compared to them, and since ATT and Verizon have all the same phones and plan prices are almost exactly the same...Verizon knows people won't switch away.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

cuedotcom posted:

These fuckers are genius..

:rms:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is how it usually played out when I talked to customers also.

95% of them just have the words "2 year contract" burned into their minds, and assumed that's when they can get their new phones. Couple that with the fact that if you're on a family plan, you're pretty much stuck with them until the end of time because peoples lines have different contract end dates, and to bring all of them over would see families paying ETF fees on 2+ lines almost all the time, which is a shitton of money to expect people to plop down all at once.

Plus, if you're on Verizon usually the only equivalent is ATT. Sprint and Tmobile's service zones are still a joke compared to them, and since ATT and Verizon have all the same phones and plan prices are almost exactly the same...Verizon knows people won't switch away.

I'm just waiting out the end of my contract hoping Verizon will entice me to stay before it happens but knowing it won't. Verizon's service is nice, best I've had, but I've always hated the company and Tmobile looks mighty attractive these days.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anyone picking up a Droid Ultra later this month? I either need to be talked into it or talked out of it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

doctor thodt posted:

Is anyone picking up a Droid Ultra later this month? I either need to be talked into it or talked out of it.

You'll probably want to play with an SGS4 or HTC One as a comparison. Moto build quality always feels excellent in the hand though. I haven't yet been able to touch an HTC One though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ProjektorBoy posted:

You'll probably want to play with an SGS4 or HTC One as a comparison. Moto build quality always feels excellent in the hand though. I haven't yet been able to touch an HTC One though.

HTC one feels amazing in hand. I am always scared of a drop though. Moto phones def feel more durable. But this one is quality poo poo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

doctor thodt posted:

I am probably going to get the Droid Maxx for the better battery life. It's hardly any bigger than the ultra and has nearly double the battery in it.

The Galaxy S4 and the HTC ONE are both more powerful phones, but I have been reading that 4 core are rarely used and in most real life cases, 2 cores are typically just as fast. Plus you the new Droids have the always listening for voice recognition and the always on screen notifications thing. And they are going to be mostly stock android and the previous Droid models have gotten good update support.

There, did I talk you into it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Im honestly surprised ATT/Verizon are moving away from the 20 month upgrade since it gets people to get a new contract before their old one is up. If they force people to 24 months and actually out of contract it may make people look elsewhere.

More phone upgrades mean more subsidies, which hurts the current quarters margins. And they are going ballistic over it right now, I guess since phone growth is flat (basically for every customer gain you lose someone) the only way to add stuff for Wall Street is by cutting margins (and selling hotspots, tablet plans, etc).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

HTC one feels amazing in hand. I am always scared of a drop though. Moto phones def feel more durable. But this one is quality poo poo.

Feeling amazing in the hand and being likely to break the screen often go hand in hand. The rigidity of aluminum feels good to the hand but also transfers shock to the display and logic board.

The toughest phones (as far as I can tell) were the Galaxy Nexus Nexus S and Lumia 800/900/920 and they achieved the near indestructibility by filling the device with a ton of springy plastic to basically act like jello when you drop the phone to keep the display from breaking.

The HTC One feels good but I'm not sure I'd want to risk that device for 2 years without a case. We'll get the numbers pretty soon. I know squaretrade tends to report break ability a couple months after the devices go out. It's usually unsurprising (N4/iPhone 4 broke a lot).

EDIT: Well looking around the Squaretrade website didn't tell me much, expect the GS4 is more breakable than the GS3 or iPhone 5. I guess they are changing how they are reporting to instead warn customers which phones make sense instead of publishing reports on how often the devices break.

I guess that makes sense for them as a business decision they want to steer customers to buy tougher phones and still pay the same rate for insurance.

Double EDIT: I said the Galaxy Nexus was tough, I meant to say the Nexus S.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 15, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

Feeling amazing in the hand and being likely to break the screen often go hand in hand. The rigidity of aluminum feels good to the hand but also transfers shock to the display and logic board.

The toughest phones (as far as I can tell) were the Galaxy Nexus and Lumia 800/900/920 and they achieved the near indestructibility by filling the device with a ton of springy plastic to basically act like jello when you drop the phone to keep the display from breaking.

The HTC One feels good but I'm not sure I'd want to risk that device for 2 years without a case. We'll get the numbers pretty soon. I know squaretrade tends to report break ability a couple months after the devices go out. It's usually unsurprising (N4/iPhone 4 broke a lot).

EDIT: Well looking around the Squaretrade website didn't tell me much, expect the GS4 is more breakable than the GS3 or iPhone 5. I guess they are changing how they are reporting to instead warn customers which phones make sense instead of publishing reports on how often the devices break.

I guess that makes sense for them as a business decision they want to steer customers to buy tougher phones and still pay the same rate for insurance.

Yeah I have the official double dip case on my one when I'm out and about. At home it goes without a case. Its funny. I actually like my galaxy because I feel like I don't have to worry as much. Same with my RAZR maxx.

Odd. Cheap plastic wins.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
So, Verizon texted me yesterday with a message saying that my number is no longer registered with Verizon. And, now I can't log in with my phone number or account name on the Verizon site. I will be calling their CS when I get a chance, but just wonder if this has ever happened to anyone?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bleh Maestro posted:

So, Verizon texted me yesterday with a message saying that my number is no longer registered with Verizon. And, now I can't log in with my phone number or account name on the Verizon site. I will be calling their CS when I get a chance, but just wonder if this has ever happened to anyone?

Number gets changed, or ported out, or account cancelled. YOu should call CS.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Number gets changed, or ported out, or account cancelled. YOu should call CS.

Well gently caress me. Thanks.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a way to do a data only plan with Verizon?

I'm getting a landline at home (free from work) and voice on my workphone for free, so for a personal phone I want nothing other than a data plan. No voice, no text.

Will they do that for non-tablet devices?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there a way to do a data only plan with Verizon?

I'm getting a landline at home (free from work) and voice on my workphone for free, so for a personal phone I want nothing other than a data plan. No voice, no text.

Will they do that for non-tablet devices?

Nope, if you have a smartphone you have to have a voice plan unless you can prove you are deaf.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I have a friend who's interested in porting out from Verizon, she has an unlimited data plan.
I am currently with Sprint and I'm really REALLY tired of my nigh-unuseable iPhone5 (I actually have a Verizon hotspot since my home has no options for internet access other than satellite, so I use my Verizon hotspot with my iPhone when I go out so I have data service).

Is there some 'gotcha' to my assuming the responsibility for her line? I'm familiar with the process, I just want to ensure I actually get unlimited data. I know I'll have a 1 year contract and that I will never receive a subsidy on a phone, is there anything else?

What's the easiest way to ensure she gets to keep her phone number if we do this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

iostream.h posted:

I have a friend who's interested in porting out from Verizon, she has an unlimited data plan.
I am currently with Sprint and I'm really REALLY tired of my nigh-unuseable iPhone5 (I actually have a Verizon hotspot since my home has no options for internet access other than satellite, so I use my Verizon hotspot with my iPhone when I go out so I have data service).

Is there some 'gotcha' to my assuming the responsibility for her line? I'm familiar with the process, I just want to ensure I actually get unlimited data. I know I'll have a 1 year contract and that I will never receive a subsidy on a phone, is there anything else?

What's the easiest way to ensure she gets to keep her phone number if we do this?

She cannot keep her number without risking her account. Some people have been able to put in a Google voice port request, change their number on Verizon immediately after and then gv is still able to grab the number.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I started my Verizon acct in December 2011, via an Amazon sale; so even though I'm not on unlimited data, I did get 4 gigs per line for the price of 2, and a regular plan from before they converted to share-everything. I'm also one of the last people to get an upgrade after 20 months. If I take that early upgrade, will I get to keep my original plan? Or would I have to jump through hoops / pay for an unsubsidized phone in order to keep the plan as it is, like I would if I were trying to keep an ancient unlimited-data plan? Since I use very few minutes, my old plan looks like it's around $10-$15 cheaper than a share-everything with 4 gigs of data shared between both.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I know people were talking about the upgrade/contract dates, but I did receive a text from Verizon about being able to upgrade my phone now. Hurray!

I've been looking around at some of the threads, and I'm trying to decide what to get. The Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II and the iPhone 4 are both sitting on the (practically) free range.

Does anyone have any experience with the GSII at all? I've never had a smart phone, and even after reading through some threads, I feel woefully unprepared to make any kind of decision.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you are insisting on being a cheap bastard and getting a free phone, don't.

The RAZR M is only $50 and is a much better choice. Anything as old as the stratosphere is a BAD choice.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Even the Galaxy S3 is $30 at Costco right now. Don't get the lovely free phones, please.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

As much as I would like to, I only have about $40 to my name for a while.

Is the iPhone 4 that bad?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sonata Mused posted:

Yes.

You do not want to buy a non-LTE smartphone on Verizon. It's a waste of those $40. Lighting it on fire would be a more productive use.

Also, if you only have $40 to your name, how are you stepping up to a smartphone plan which will cost you significantly more per month?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

For $40 for an phone 4 if you were a poor i would take it. Signing a 2 year contract for an iphone 4, are you loving kidding me.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sonata Mused posted:

It's been three years since it debuted, and with Apple's track record, it wouldn't surprise me if it sees an EOL after iOS 7 (which apparently Apple is struggling to get working on the 4).

So it's the 20th and the new Droid Razr's are (supposedly) in stores now. Has Verizon made any more concrete announcements about the debut of the Moto X? We recently changed cellphone policies here at work - now, I'll be stuck with whatever phone I get (according to the policy I can't really replace it until it completely falls apart or after five years, whichever comes first). Early comparisons between the Moto X and Razr say the X is the "nicer" phone aesthetically, so I'm tempted to hold out for as long as it takes for Verizon to get the X, maybe even longer till I can order something customized through Moto Maker.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sonata Mused posted:

I only have about $40 to my name for a while.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Yes.

You do not want to buy a non-LTE smartphone on Verizon. It's a waste of those $40. Lighting it on fire would be a more productive use.

Also, if you only have $40 to your name, how are you stepping up to a smartphone plan which will cost you significantly more per month?

My parents are paying for the overall plan. I send them a bit of money from my paycheck every month, which is why I have less money for myself. If I want a better phone, I have to pony up the cash for it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
If you HAVE to have a free phone, the Lumia 928 is free right now.

But yeah the 4 is barely able to run iOS 6. I doubt it will get upgraded to 7 officially.

Or wait a week or so. The Razr M was free for a while and will likely be so again when the Mini launches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

If you HAVE to have a free phone, the Lumia 928 is free right now.

But yeah the 4 is barely able to run iOS 6. I doubt it will get upgraded to 7 officially.

Or wait a week or so. The Razr M was free for a while and will likely be so again when the Mini launches.
The iPhone 4 is absolutely getting iOS 7 officially unless something changes. It almost certainly won't be getting anything after that. But none of that is really relevant as it is likely to be out of production within the next month. Don't get an iPhone 4. It's the worst possible time to do so. If you really want a free phone, the iPhone 4S should be free shortly (if they follow the previous few years) and is a much better option (but still lacking LTE).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, again. This should be bold at in the OP.

If you are on Verizon, do not buy a non-LTE smartphone. The CDMA infrastructure is EOLd. By the end of next year, Verizon is going to start selling LTE only phones.

Yeah, they aren't turning out the lights on 1xRTT and EVDO until 2021, but that's for commercial reasons.

The vast majority of the customer base and coverage focus is going to be LTE only in 18 months, you don't want to be stuck on a legacy device.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Okay, so no free phones, at least at this time. Check.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Unless the RAZR M is free, which it sometimes is.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

Unless the RAZR M is free, which it sometimes is.

I'll keep a lookout then.

Thanks for the help guys. It really helps when I've never even touched a smart phone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sonata Mused posted:

Thanks for the help guys. It really helps when I've never even touched a smart phone.

We thank you for posting first, instead of 20 days after purchase asking "I made a good purchase right? :hurt:" also thanks for not taking the criticism personally.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sonata Mused posted:

Just go to a best buy and get the RAZR m if you want it. It's almost always free there.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I see so many customers fed up with their phone after two years only to learn they bought a Thunderbolt or Incredible at the end of 2012 because it was free. With smartphones today you really get what you pay for.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I am looking to get a new phone in a month or two. I really like the Galaxy S 4. I also like that I can get it for $160 or so from Costco. But I saw that some new Droids just came out. I know that newer doesn't always mean better, but I like that the new Droids come with grippy backing, so a case isn't necessarily needed. I'm not looking to spend more than $200. Would I be better off getting the S 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Anyone else picking up the One on Thursday? Yeah, it's 5 months late to Verizon but I mean it's the same as picking up an S4/Droid/Moto X in terms of internal hardware and the design is still amazing.

• Locked thread