Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Where in HK would one need/want to stay to be close to the ferry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Central ought to do it

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

And they serve drinks as standard to anyone playing the floor?
Only coffee, milk, tea and water. No liquor like Vegas.

BadAstronaut posted:

Where in HK would one need/want to stay to be close to the ferry?
Which one? The Macau ferry is in Sheung Wan. You can stay in one of the Soho places and be pretty close. There's another ferry to Macau in Kowloon near Harbor City. The Marco Polo Hotel is really close to that one. If you mean the Star Ferry, the Marco Polo is a good choice again or I dunno, something in Central/Wan Chai on the other side. Other islands ferries... I don't know why you'd want to stay near those. Or the airport ferry, I think that's in Tsuen Wan and the airport express train is faster anyway.

Big Alf posted:

Another way of approaching it is to stay in HK and get the ferry across for the fight (I only gamble on sports and I'm a tourism atheist so seeing 'Historical Macau' doesn't float my boat.
So don't go to Macau. There's no sports books there. All Macau has is gambling and history. Shopping and eating is better in Hong Kong.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Westin is nice, but a bit old and a bit far from everywhere else.

Bloodnose posted:

Only coffee, milk, tea and water. No liquor like Vegas.

Ummm..... you can ask for alcohol anytime. Actually, pit bosses love to get you drunk so you can lose more self control and perhaps gamble more. I'm sure that the Wynn, Hard Rock and MGM give free booze. On the other hand, good luck getting anything nice from Stanley Ho the cheap skate :bravo:

Service culture sucks though, don't tip the dealers, the tips just go to the house. But if you want brisk service and good drinks, then tip the cock tail waitresses and the bar tender :eng101:

quote:

So don't go to Macau. There's no sports books there. All Macau has is gambling and history. Shopping and eating is better in Hong Kong.

Actually, Macau has amazing food. Lots of old mom and pop shops make hand crafted noodles, the coffee restaurants make great snacks. The Wing Lei Chinese restaurant in Macau makes one of the best dim sum in the Pearl River Delta without costing you a fortune. Go try the Macanese fried rice. It's really good.

If you want to be a high roller or take your wife on a nice dinner date. There's Don Alfonso 1890 for Neapolitan food, Robouchon A Galera for 3 star Michelin French (book lunch) , Tim's Kitchen for Cantonese. All those restaurants were losing money and had no customers (except me because I'm a Hong Kong food hipster) until the Michelin Star fiasco (my walk in :qq:)

Having so many communist party officials flying in all the time, there's plenty of North East Chinese, Sichuan and Hunan food as well.

So there's also good food in Macau, I haven't even pointed out a few local Portuguese or Macanese restaurants.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Ummm..... you can ask for alcohol anytime.

And they give it to you free of charge? Regardless, it ain't like Vegas where cocktail waitresses prowl the floor looking for ways to get you drunk.

And I never said Macau doesn't have good food. I love eating in Macau. You forgot to mention the crystal lounge in the Grand Lisboa that has the only authentic sandwich deli in East Asia. On the whole though, Hong Kong has better dining options.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Bloodnose posted:

My sole reason of going to Macau is to watch the boxing. Sounds crazy but that is the sum total of my aims.

I'm more than willing to stay in Hong Kong and ferry across merely so I can go shopping at Simply Food and take home lots of scotch eggs and sausage rolls. :unsmith:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you stay near the ferry terminal, you could very easily visit Macau just for your boxing match and spend the rest of your time in Hong Kong.

edit: hell, you don't even need to stay near the ferry terminal. The ferry is an hour's ride, runs 24 hours and from either dock on the Macau side to Cotai won't be more than 30 minutes including bus waiting. 15 if you take a taxi.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Any Hong Kong goons know how accessible any of these spots are (you should see an interactive map with a little wave icon for its location) and where I'd want to spend a night to be close by to the good surf?

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Asia/Hong_Kong/index.html

EDIT: or where these spots are, based on the tiny map?
http://magicseaweed.com/Xi-Chong-Dongshong-Surf-Report/3439/
http://magicseaweed.com/Big-Wave-Bay-HK-Surf-Report/1163/

There's also some not great but still surfable stuff here.

EDIT 2:
For those keen to surf/check out Hainan, there's a ton of information here.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 15, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I recognize Big Wave Bay. It's not far from my place. I'll throw down the mattress for you.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Just picked up my visa. It only has an enter-before date and lists the duration as 000 and single entry. Is this standard and I just change it once I register in Chengdu?

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Is there a particular month (in the new year) that would be good to find work as an English teacher? I know 2014 is a long time from now, but I've decided on China and I want to be as prepared as possible. I've read April is good, but this seems to be in the middle of the semester, no?

Also, I'm having trouble deciding between beginning my career in Kunming or Chengdu. Any advice?

mrgoodtrips fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 16, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Smeef posted:

Just picked up my visa. It only has an enter-before date and lists the duration as 000 and single entry. Is this standard and I just change it once I register in Chengdu?

Yes.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

mrgoodtrips posted:

Is there a particular month (in the new year) that would be good to find work as an English teacher? I know 2014 is a long time from now, but I've decided on China and I want to be as prepared as possible. I've read April is good, but this seems to be in the middle of the semester, no?

Also, I'm having trouble deciding between beginning my career in Kunming or Chengdu. Any advice?

Some background would be useful.

Are you wanting to teach English:

In order to travel?
You just need a job?
You are actively pursuing a career in teaching?

Also:

Are you a native speaker?
Do you have a minimum BA Degree?
Do you have two years post graduate work experience?

There are always jobs available but times they are a changing and it's not so easy just to rock up with a white face and a rucksack full of China dreams anymore :smith:

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

Big Alf posted:

Some background would be useful.

Are you wanting to teach English:

In order to travel?
You just need a job?
You are actively pursuing a career in teaching?

Also:

Are you a native speaker?
Do you have a minimum BA Degree?
Do you have two years post graduate work experience?

There are always jobs available but times they are a changing and it's not so easy just to rock up with a white face and a rucksack full of China dreams anymore :smith:

I plan on spending at least a year in China. Maybe one year in Chengdu, another in Kunming. I want to teach English full-time.

I am a native speaker (American). I have a BA, a CELTA, and a couple months volunteering teaching English in Peru and Poland. My post graduate work experience is mostly menial office jobs/customer service (aside from my stints as a volunteer). I'm 25 years old, if that counts towards anything.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

mrgoodtrips posted:

I plan on spending at least a year in China. Maybe one year in Chengdu, another in Kunming. I want to teach English full-time.

I am a native speaker (American). I have a BA, a CELTA, and a couple months volunteering teaching English in Peru and Poland. My post graduate work experience is mostly menial office jobs/customer service (aside from my stints as a volunteer). I'm 25 years old, if that counts towards anything.

Ok you should be fine getting a work visa. I would suggest getting some letters of reference from your previous work if at all possible as this seems to be something they are being picky with at the moment. Jobs are available any time of the year so doesnt really matter when you move over.

Can't really give any advice on Kunming or Chengdu as they are like REAL CHINA and I try not to venture to far from my bubble if I can at all help it. :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chengdu is nice. I hear Kunming is nice too. I live in Chengdu. I've never been to Kunming.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Kunming's weather is 100x better than Chengdu's and the pollution is noticeably less. The western food is better, too. And they have limes. The traffic is somehow worse than Chengdu's, though.

Gonna cross-post this from the LAN thread for any possible lurkers:

:siren: CHENGDU-TIBETAN-FOOD-EATING-TIME :siren:

Who wants go get Tibetan by Wuhouci? Tomorrow? Lurkers? Anyone else in Chengdu? Argle, you said you'd be in from the sticks tomorrow, ya?

I know a place half way between Wuhouci and Minda's west gate. They have hidden pictures of forbidden lamas and yak pie and all that fun stuff. Also real yogurt.

We can meet at Wuhouci because that's easy to find. Then if we want to do something after, we'll be south so anywhere else is easy enough to get to. We can even go to that skeevy place by the big boat and the suicide rainbow bridge.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Big Alf posted:

Ok you should be fine getting a work visa. I would suggest getting some letters of reference from your previous work if at all possible as this seems to be something they are being picky with at the moment. Jobs are available any time of the year so doesnt really matter when you move over.

Just FYI, there is inconsistent local enforcement of the two-year previous teaching experience requirement in certain areas (such as Henan) so mrgoodtrips may need to fiddle with the dates somewhat.

My recruitment cycle (public uni.) runs from March with a peak in application early April (for a September start) but language mills are always looking.

You need more advice, buy PMs.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

Kunming's weather is 100x better than Chengdu's and the pollution is noticeably less. The western food is better, too. And they have limes. The traffic is somehow worse than Chengdu's, though.

Who wants go get Tibetan by Wuhouci? Tomorrow? Lurkers? Anyone else in Chengdu? Argle, you said you'd be in from the sticks tomorrow, ya?

I know a place half way between Wuhouci and Minda's west gate. They have hidden pictures of forbidden lamas and yak pie and all that fun stuff. Also real yogurt.

We can meet at Wuhouci because that's easy to find. Then if we want to do something after, we'll be south so anywhere else is easy enough to get to. We can even go to that skeevy place by the big boat and the suicide rainbow bridge.

What the gently caress you can get limes here. I was actually amazed to find limes here cause in Hangzhou and Qingdao they don't exist.

I've spent a good amount of time in Kunming, and I'd rather live in Chengdu. I don't exactly know why, but Kunming is one of those good to visit, not so great to live places where Chengdu is basically the opposite. I like living here but when people come to visit I have no idea what to show them that isn't a 4 hour drive away or the Panda Base or a giant Mao.

Wages in Chengdu will be better compared to the cost of living I believe, too. I know most ESL teachers at buxibans in Chengdu make like 10k or so a month or more, which compared to the cost of living here is pretty drat good.

ALSO WE HAVE BURGER KING NOW, WE CAN BURG WITH THE BEST!

And Chengoons come yak it up with us. I may bring these new interns from my company since I promised I'd help them out buying some stuff tomorrow. They're all college kids majoring in video game design, though, so they're goony as gently caress and should fit in fine. Who knows, they may even already be goons~

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ya, I like living in Chengdu more than I think I'd like living in Kunming.

Also, where the gently caress can you get limes?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I can easily buy limes in Shenzhen :smugdog:

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

MeramJert posted:

I can easily buy limes in Shenzhen :smugdog:

Ya, srsly, can get that here with no issue either.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Goddamnit, all I can ever find here in Chengdu are sweet lemons.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I saw limes at the Carrefour near Tongzilinbeilu or however you call it in your pinyin thingiemabob.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

Yesss. I'll be free for dinnerish time.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So what are some touristy things in Shanghai I should definitely do, or awesome places in or around the city I should check out?

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Jewish Ghetto, Pearl Tower, Walk the observation deck of the world financial building (bottle opener builder). The propaganda museum is great. Do the bus tour. Pearl market shopping. Antique market. City planning museum is good.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks, I had heard about 0/8 of those things.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Eat at Carl's Jr, Krispy Kreme and Papa John's.

That's the top of my list in Shanghai anyway.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Only Carl's Jr is something I can't get here in London, so I'll be all over that. I think I had it once in California. Not bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eat at at least one Sichuan restaurant.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'll probably eat at many. :)

(Unless there aren't many, in which case, apologies for being a horrible liar and promising the impossible)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone likes to complain about the typical bad Chinese service in restaurants, but you should give this place a try

海底撈 (hai di lao)

https://www.haidilao.com

It's Hunan style spicy hot pot with exemplary service. Staff is very detailed orientated, respond with please, thank you, heck they were better than some servers in America :wtc:

Bad Astronaut, keep us updated when you are in Shanghai. Good and bad things. Someone needs to write a Shanghai Goon city guide.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I can and will :colbert:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Everyone likes to complain about the typical bad Chinese service in restaurants, but you should give this place a try

海底撈 (hai di lao)

https://www.haidilao.com

It's Hunan style spicy hot pot with exemplary service. Staff is very detailed orientated, respond with please, thank you, heck they were better than some servers in America :wtc:

Bad Astronaut, keep us updated when you are in Shanghai. Good and bad things. Someone needs to write a Shanghai Goon city guide.

Yeah I've eaten there. It's good and they even do delivery.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

JimBobDole posted:

Jewish Ghetto, Pearl Tower, Walk the observation deck of the world financial building (bottle opener builder). The propaganda museum is great. Do the bus tour. Pearl market shopping. Antique market. City planning museum is good.

Agree on the City Planning museum. Especially when you're new to the city, the big model gives you a really interesting sense of just how loving gigantic this place is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Aw but then you miss out on the fun of everyone sticking their head out of an upstairs dining room that hasn't seen a waiter in 30 minutes and screaming FU WU YUAN together.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

truavatar and JimBobDole posted:

City Planning museum.

Are you talking about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Urban_Planning_Exhibition_Center

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Yep, that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Tom Smykowski posted:

I've been wanting to check out that Tibetan area around Wuhouci, so depending on what time this is going down, I should be game