Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jabor posted:

My favourite story is the one where he literally won a tournament by doing one move over and over for basically the entire final match.

Please tell me there's an archived story or a video of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Jabor posted:

My favourite story is the one where he literally won a tournament by doing one move over and over for basically the entire final match.

Still my favorite video (I don't know if it's him or not):

Tiger Uppercut Spam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0F_aVAnFU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

synthetik posted:

Hahahaha the announcers get all pissy that he dominated two people by spamming one move

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

Wow, that guy got angry.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 14, 2013

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
My favorite old "cheap move" came while playing Goldeneye 64. You'd have four people playing in front of one TV, but if you looked into your opponents box you were the most dishonorable player a ... "SCREEN WATCHER". In my neighborhood the game was like crack. We played it all the time, but we all looked at everyone elses screens as part of the tactics and we became really good at the game and everyone was on an even level. Then you'd play with someone different who didn't normally play with you and they would lay down these dumb arbitrary rules about watching screens that were impossible to enforce and really dumb. I remember one kid had a rule that he and others abided by that "you can't shoot an unarmed man" since in Goldeneye you'd spawn without a gun.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Magres posted:

Please tell me there's an archived story or a video of this

Towards the bottom

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Seltzer posted:

I remember one kid had a rule that he and others abided by that "you can't shoot an unarmed man" since in Goldeneye you'd spawn without a gun.

Seems like the appropriate response here would be to follow them around, waiting for them to pick one up before killing them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've only seen a handful of matches like that, but the announcers always seem incredibly unprofessional. Between not knowing how to handle the crowd, being remarkably unhelpful or unobservant during rounds, excessive swearing, getting angry at the people playing and insulting them directly, and saying completely unrelated bullshit for seemingly no reason, I can't imagine what there is to recommend about them. They seem to fail in every possible qualification of being announcers.
"They think you shouldn't say 'retarded'." "Why not? I think it's loving hilarious."

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Vib Rib posted:

I've only seen a handful of matches like that, but the announcers always seem incredibly unprofessional. Between not knowing how to handle the crowd, being remarkably unhelpful or unobservant during rounds, excessive swearing, getting angry at the people playing and insulting them directly, and saying completely unrelated bullshit for seemingly no reason, I can't imagine what there is to recommend about them. They seem to fail in every possible qualification of being announcers.
"They think you shouldn't say 'retarded'." "Why not? I think it's loving hilarious."

Yea, holy poo poo and I thought the Dota2 announcers where pretty bad but god drat that's a whole new level of terrible there.

The Furious Pirate
Oct 10, 2005
ARGH MATEY!

Tardcore posted:

Yea, holy poo poo and I thought the Dota2 announcers where pretty bad but god drat that's a whole new level of terrible there.

SF4 announcers aren't entirely bad, but the two in the above video sure are lovely. This video isn't technically a grief itself, but it's an example of adequate commentary (provided how fast-paced they have to talk) while at the same time being silly as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di52SYOcf7k

Official "Bipson" Pressure :getin:

EDIT: For actual griefing content, I'm not sure if this exact video has been posted before, but it's a very decent showcase of the fun that can be had driving a dumptruck in APB Reloaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFcbdR9zg8

The Furious Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 14, 2013

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Seltzer posted:

My favorite old "cheap move" came while playing Goldeneye 64. You'd have four people playing in front of one TV, but if you looked into your opponents box you were the most dishonorable player a ... "SCREEN WATCHER". In my neighborhood the game was like crack. We played it all the time, but we all looked at everyone elses screens as part of the tactics and we became really good at the game and everyone was on an even level. Then you'd play with someone different who didn't normally play with you and they would lay down these dumb arbitrary rules about watching screens that were impossible to enforce and really dumb. I remember one kid had a rule that he and others abided by that "you can't shoot an unarmed man" since in Goldeneye you'd spawn without a gun.

I won a Halo 2 tourney because of screen watching. I never used the radar, ever. It was such a low budget tourney that they put enemies on the same TVs. Yeah, I don't give a drat when someone accuses me of screen watching, I tell them they should be doing it to, not my problem.

Dec 26, 2012

Seltzer posted:

That houserule was pretty common. The caveat is that all bets were off if you tried to slap them.

dyzzy posted:

Seems like the appropriate response here would be to follow them around, waiting for them to pick one up before killing them.

The appropriate counter-response to that was usually punching the guy doing it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

synthetik posted:

It wasn't in a tournament, but there was a video from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike of a guy playing Q (who wasn't considered particularly high tier) and beating a guy by spamming nothing but normal low kick. He effectively beat a guy by kicking him in the shins repeatedly.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Zaodai posted:

It wasn't in a tournament, but there was a video from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike of a guy playing Q (who wasn't considered particularly high tier) and beating a guy by spamming nothing but normal low kick. He effectively beat a guy by kicking him in the shins repeatedly.

The video in question since I couldn't find it on the original player's channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81J6sb-V03M

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

rotinaj posted:

Your silent video totally illuminates and explains your friend's sound-based grief. Thank you.

Its not actually a sound based grief as turning off sound in WoW is trivial and has little effect on gameplay. The grief is more an example of the irrationality of pubbies. The text spamming has utterly no effect on anyone's gameplay as you can easily mute players, or moved the spammed text channels into a new chat tab and hide it, or turn off chat bubbles. There's a multitude of ways in WoW to make it so that another player cannot bother you in anyway at all.

And yet pubbies would rather fly completely off the handle and demand vote kicks and bannings for issues that are entirely within their own means to stop instantly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When I was playing I pretty much knew nobody that raided with their sound turned on. Even without being spammed raid warnings the sheer number of spell effects and hit sounds going on made it impossible to listen to your voice chat, hear the Deadly Boss Mods warnings that were actually important, or watch an episode of Night Court because you're in LFR so you don't care what's going on.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Seltzer posted:

I remember one kid had a rule that he and others abided by that "you can't shoot an unarmed man" since in Goldeneye you'd spawn without a gun.
That's nothing compared to the sheer rage you'd get from booby trapping ammo boxes with invisible proxy mines. Goldeneye's many charms was it's numerous bugs that provided some interesting quirks. One was if you placed a proximity mine on an ammo box, gun or body armor then picked it up the mine would vanish, but still remain active. Cue many many pissed off combatants calling you a dirty cheat for scoring an easy kill as you rigged the high damage weapons.

The way around it was to shoot the ammo box, that would set off the mine. It would also destroy the body armor pickup. Shooting that was a sneaky way to piss off your opponent as the game actually calculated that the more damage the pickup had the less armor you collected.

As for screen looking, playing as the Siberian Special Forces character had it's moments.

One map (The Bunker) featured an outside helipad ringed with trees. By facing into the tree your screen would go black and your opponent had a hard time (with no radar on) trying to find you as you blended in quite well.

Perfect Dark managed to top this with the tranquilizer gun and crossbow. Both had an effect that would cause horrific screen disorientation to simulate being groggy from the tranq's effect. What we discovered was that pumping your mate's corpse before it faded out with these meant the effect would carry on as soon as they re-spawned, resulting in them being severely disorientated and taking some damage.

This was escalated by the discovery of throwing knives having the same effect, usually with a lethal result. I think the deadly setting of the crossbow also did this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

WebDog posted:

Perfect Dark managed to top this with the tranquilizer gun and crossbow. Both had an effect that would cause horrific screen disorientation to simulate being groggy from the tranq's effect. What we discovered was that pumping your mate's corpse before it faded out with these meant the effect would carry on as soon as they re-spawned, resulting in them being severely disorientated and taking some damage.

This was escalated by the discovery of throwing knives having the same effect, usually with a lethal result. I think the deadly setting of the crossbow also did this.

You could also punch them with Disarm mode. Good head nodding times had by all.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Man I never tried that with proximity mines, all I did was throw them at the very top of the doorway area, so that when a door would close it would close on the mine, rendering it invisible until you try to open the door and blow up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Mines in Goldeneye were a delight as you had to be crafty when using them.

Counter tactics developed to de-mine a room, usually by throwing in another mine that would detonate any others - the best part being when you caught your friend in the middle of laying out some elaborate death trap and took him out in a ball of fire.

"Hide the mine" became a rather fun past time as doors and ammo boxes slowly got old we eventually moved onto stupid things like the corners of lights in Bunker. Matches would be driven to stalemates as people got trapped in rooms with no way to exit without dying - or at least tried to escape via mine chicken.

The fear was increased when we discovered mines looked awfully like bullet holes and could be disguised as such by spraying a few into the wall, then carefully placing the mine so the bullet hole sprite would glitch through.
Add that to a crummy TV and everyone would be shooting at bullet holes, just in case.

Of course Perfect Dark only made mines more fun by having them be able to get stuck onto people - timed mines were fun as you'd end up in a Benny Hill chase from an enraged friend who tried to take you up with him.

The other grief in Goldeneye was found within the rarely played Hold the Flag - in which whoever had the most points from holding the flag wins. You were unable to use guns when holding it - at best you could cheat by swapping to unarmed and collecting the flag, meaning you had to remain slapping.

This often meant crouch hiding somewhere, pressed into the wall and hoping not to be seen - such as in the vents in Facility or the ambush grate in Complex. Abusing the slow opening doors in Caverns by constantly closing them as someone tried to open was another tactic.

Archives proved the best map as there were two places. One was a hidden passage that traveled between the two locked doors on the upper level. No one knew about this for AGES as there was no real giveaway, save for the hint of two ammo boxes for the special weapon, but no weapon.

The other was to abuse a door found downstairs in the "interrogation room". The doors in the level opened inwards. In this case it was trivial to simply enter the room, shut the door and then stand there as you blocked it and no one could enter. Of course if you had explosives or a gun that pierced door you'd counter that easily, but at least you'd buy a minute.

However all of the above was easily topped should dreaded proxy mines appear. In this instance you were able to mine the flag, capture it, die and then respawn with the flag still held by you - but destroyed and unable to be taken back.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dyzzy posted:

Spawns in Goldeneye weren't randomized either, on most maps you could chain spawnkills on someone if it was a 1v1.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of Street Fighter griefs, observe this match between actual pro gamers where the guy playing Q trolls the poo poo out of Justin Wong who is pretty much one of the top fighting game players in the world right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4WnLq6mV4

Sometimes you see Q doing some weird grunt stretch move. This is a taunt that gives a increasing defensive bonus for the first three times you do it. Any taunts afterwards are just straight up taunting.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

natetimm posted:

I may be a sick gently caress but the possibility of actual violence made it more entertaining to me. Maybe that's just rose colored glasses because all the threats now are so impotent and obviously not going to happen. Also, the opposite of being a dick/griefer in the arcade days was when a little kid put his quarter in to play you and you knew you were obviously way more skilled than them. You could beat them, show them how to do some moves, and then let them have your game. I always felt like a hero after that.

Funny enough - I was one of those kids who tried this against some guy who I kinda saw as the "king" of the arcade; after destroying me, he did exactly that; he showed me a few of his moves, how to chain them together - and then just handed me his game. As a kid, it almost felt overwhelming taking the controls of his character, because he was already so far ahead in the game and you knew you didn't want to screw it up.

... But yeah, my friends and I used to troll people in Daytona USA by driving backwards through the courses and cutting people off at every opportunity. Daytona USA used to be a 4-player linked arcade console, but sometimes we'd find an 8-player linked console and hilarity ensued. Nevertheless, we did get punched by a few players for ruining their game; but that was the price we knew we had to play for griefing their game.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

WebDog posted:

Mines in Goldeneye were a delight as you had to be crafty when using them.

Counter tactics developed to de-mine a room, usually by throwing in another mine that would detonate any others - the best part being when you caught your friend in the middle of laying out some elaborate death trap and took him out in a ball of fire.

"Hide the mine" became a rather fun past time as doors and ammo boxes slowly got old we eventually moved onto stupid things like the corners of lights in Bunker. Matches would be driven to stalemates as people got trapped in rooms with no way to exit without dying - or at least tried to escape via mine chicken.

The fear was increased when we discovered mines looked awfully like bullet holes and could be disguised as such by spraying a few into the wall, then carefully placing the mine so the bullet hole sprite would glitch through.
Add that to a crummy TV and everyone would be shooting at bullet holes, just in case.

Of course Perfect Dark only made mines more fun by having them be able to get stuck onto people - timed mines were fun as you'd end up in a Benny Hill chase from an enraged friend who tried to take you up with him.

The other grief in Goldeneye was found within the rarely played Hold the Flag - in which whoever had the most points from holding the flag wins. You were unable to use guns when holding it - at best you could cheat by swapping to unarmed and collecting the flag, meaning you had to remain slapping.

This often meant crouch hiding somewhere, pressed into the wall and hoping not to be seen - such as in the vents in Facility or the ambush grate in Complex. Abusing the slow opening doors in Caverns by constantly closing them as someone tried to open was another tactic.

Archives proved the best map as there were two places. One was a hidden passage that traveled between the two locked doors on the upper level. No one knew about this for AGES as there was no real giveaway, save for the hint of two ammo boxes for the special weapon, but no weapon.

The other was to abuse a door found downstairs in the "interrogation room". The doors in the level opened inwards. In this case it was trivial to simply enter the room, shut the door and then stand there as you blocked it and no one could enter. Of course if you had explosives or a gun that pierced door you'd counter that easily, but at least you'd buy a minute.

However all of the above was easily topped should dreaded proxy mines appear. In this instance you were able to mine the flag, capture it, die and then respawn with the flag still held by you - but destroyed and unable to be taken back.

The best level for mines was the underground level because it was dark as poo poo, had low ceilings, and a million blind corners. It was completely impossible to tell a bullet hole from a mine, and even if you shot everything you'd eventually blunder into a mine that was visible because of the lighting conditions. The best thing to do was to put mines on the spawn points, though. Sure, you'd kill yourself sometimes, but nothing beat killing someone with a mine trap only for them to respawn into a mine trap.

Perfect Dark the best way to grief was to enable that absurd sniper rifle that had auto aim, gave you maphacking thermal vision when scoped, and shot through walls. Grab it, hide in a corner of the level, kill everyone on the map, all your friends refuse to play Perfect Dark again.

The Bouncer was also pretty good for post death shenanigans. In that game if you took any kind of damage when you were dead, your controller rumbled a lot, so in a four player match you could finish off one person and just repeatedly kick them while the other two fought. The physics and ragdolls in that game were also a little stupid. One map with stairs you could run to the top of the stairs, and hit someone when they came up to get you. If they landed on the stairs, they'd fall down the entire staircase fairly slowly, totally unable to do anything. You could waste more than 10% of the round timer every time you did it. Damage was also carried over through ragdoll, so if you managed to hit someone with a big attack and their ragdoll hit someone else, all the damage from that attack would be carried over onto the person they hit. This was especially great if you were using the character with a move that had them walk around helplessly for a couple seconds and then use a huge attack that took off half someone's life.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I doubt if any game will ever have mine shenanigans as fun as Duke Nukem 3d. The game had a laser mine that you attached to a wall, and after a few seconds the mine would shoot out a laser beam directly ahead. Anyone or anything breaking the laser beam would set off the mine.

There were so many underhanded ways to plant those things. You could find a doorway with a wall opposite, and slap about 20 mines on the wall. The laser would hit the door, and when someone opened it, kaboom. You could also crouch and aim down low on stairs and plant a mine along the inside edge of the stairs. It was almost impossible to notice until someone went up the stairs and triggered the thing.

I used to play at a LAN gaming place here way back in the hayday of Duke3d, and had entirely too much fun annoying the tryhards with mines. I just used them the way they were intended, to blow people up. But if there was some kid playing who started whining I'd go Ghost Operator Mine Man mode. I'd sneak around, doing my best to avoid any fights or notice, and plant mines goddamn everywhere. I remember one match I was running around for probably 15 minutes doing this, areas of the map looked like a goddamn rave. It completely brought the deathmatch to a halt as people were ducking and weaving around mine lasers instead of fighting. All they had to do was shoot them with a pistol, but for some reason most people wouldn't do it. Or would blow themselves up trying.

Another great thing with the mines was explosives would chain off each other in that game. You could plant a mine at the end of a long hallway, drop a bunch of pipebombs trailing back down the hall, and if anyone triggered it they would all go off one by one, usually catching someone. It was just glorious to see someone open a door, BEEP BEEP then this wave of explosions came for them.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The community moderator of Star Trek: Online decided to host a PvP event in an open war zone. Where the Federation and Klingon faction can openly PvP each other with Borg NPCs in the middle of it.

Of course, Starfleet Dental was excited to blow up the horrible autistic of what is Branflakes.

Seeing Brandon went in on his Federation, five or so goons immediately go in as klanks and proceed to blow him up multiple times despite having ten or so other Feds just huddle around him as if they were his body guards. With a fellow goon taunting him in the official PvP channel him the whole time for being bad. His excuses were his Dev account, the one he was on, isn't outfitted and could blow us all up if he wanted to. :qq:

After a couple of deaths he got mad and started making excuses as to why he was dying so fast and immediately left the instance and joined another. He was gone and must have locked the instance because no one could get in there. About 10 minutes later he leaves that instance and comes to another and the honorable goons followed him. After three or so more deaths he announced the event was over. About a hour later I come online again to see this:

Because PvPing in a community PvP event is just wrong.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UoI posted:

The community moderator of Star Trek: Online decided to host a PvP event in an open war zone. Where the Federation and Klingon faction can openly PvP each other with Borg NPCs in the middle of it.

Of course, Starfleet Dental was excited to blow up the horrible autistic of what is Branflakes.

Seeing Brandon went in on his Federation, five or so goons immediately go in as klanks and proceed to blow him up multiple times despite having ten or so other Feds just huddle around him as if they were his body guards. With a fellow goon taunting him in the official PvP channel him the whole time for being bad. His excuses were his Dev account, the one he was on, isn't outfitted and could blow us all up if he wanted to. :qq:

After a couple of deaths he got mad and started making excuses as to why he was dying so fast and immediately left the instance and joined another. He was gone and must have locked the instance because no one could get in there. About 10 minutes later he leaves that instance and comes to another and the honorable goons followed him. After three or so more deaths he announced the event was over. About a hour later I come online again to see this:

Because PvPing in a community PvP event is just wrong.

What was the reason given? Attacking a moderator in a PvP Event? :v:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

What was the reason given? Attacking a moderator in a PvP Event? :v:

DancingShade posted:

Note cornflakes didn't actually say anything directly. That means the best part is he got passive-aggressive mad, the kind that simmers and eats away at you.

Glorious! :allears:

Branflakes is a real piece of poo poo, lazy, biased community moderator. I asked the main pvp channel if anyone else got temp banned for killing him during the event and it blew up with people hating on him. He really needs to be fired.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Korgan posted:

Branflakes is a real piece of poo poo, lazy, biased community moderator. I asked the main pvp channel if anyone else got temp banned for killing him during the event and it blew up with people hating on him. He really needs to be fired.

Wait, wait, so he set up a PVP event and raged at people for killing him during the PVP event?

It sounds like the Age of Wushu devs are way more awesome.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, wait, so he set up a PVP event and raged at people for killing him during the PVP event?

This is the same man who temporarily banned a goon for asking if he'd like to cross-promote a giveaway Dental was having.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye griefing

I still have Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. also, picking oddjob. Another interesting thing in perfect dark is you can semi-customize your body. However, giving yourself a small body and small head meant less hitpoints, giving yourself a large body and a large head meant a ton more hitpoints. Also, the grinder and laptop guns. I have killed so many people with laptop guns. The special thing about laptop guns is they can be thrown at a wall and turned into a turret. what you do is place it down at the end of a hallway just far away enough that it can still shoot at people comming down the hallway, but at that distance its difficult for a player or computer to sucessfully shoot it since it was a smaller target from being so far away. Laptop guns are one of the many many things my friends and family have agreed to ban.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pope Guilty posted:

He was more mad that it was us doing it than anything, particularly UoI. Those of us doing the killing made sure to taunt him endlessly about it in zone as well - nothing against ToS, but enough to get him nice and passive-aggressive.

It's telling that the aforementioned ban only lasted until just after the end of the second PvP event he had planned.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

natetimm posted:

People have been raging about cheapness since before the internet. In the 80s and 90s you had arcade culture just like CoD internet culture now. There was nothing as satisfying as playing a fighting game like Street Fighter 2, picking a character universally thought of to be poo poo, and beating the poo poo out of people with moves they didn't know how to defend because nobody ever played against that character except when the machine controlled them. Beating all the Ken/Ryu/Chun Li tryhards with someone like Dhalsim or E. Honda was just so drat satisfying.

Dhalsim is probably the best character in sf2. He's definitely in the top 4. Honda also destroys most characters who don't have fireballs.

Also David Sirlin is an idiot, whether he has the right ideas about winning or not. Listen to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdqJ9hHlcY

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

Also David Sirlin is an idiot, whether he has the right ideas about winning or not. Listen to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdqJ9hHlcY

Yomi is what people who fetishize Japanese culture call theory of mind. Telling someone to read their opponents sounds just way less fancy.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 16, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yomi is what people who fetishize Japanese culture call theory of mind. Telling someone to read their opponents sounds just way less fancy.

Sirlin is just a super-sperg about it. I can post goofy stuff from his site all day. Just look at this poo poo:
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/yomi-layer-3-knowing-the-mind-of-the-opponent.html

I HAVE YOMI LEVEL 6 YOU CAN'T WIN!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The fact that people take winning at video games this seriously is loving hilarious.

Ancorehraq sis
Sep 13, 2004

Novum posted:

The fact that people take winning at video games this seriously is loving hilarious.

Nothing wrong with being a massive tryhard. What's hilarious is people who take winning at video games really seriously, but couldn't be bothered to stop being really bad. That is how tears are made.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Archonex posted:

I meant to post a thread about this game back when I noticed it on Steam. I figured i'd wait until the path finding lag on some maps was fixed though, which actually is apparently being fixed this week. It really is an amazing game when it isn't being buggy as hell. Think of it like Mount and Blade from a RTS perspective meets Stronghold meets a MMO RTS in a (slowly being developed) open world.

On the face of it it presents itself as a high quality browserless (Which gets it massive points all by itself.) MMO RTS that has all the bells and whistles of a city development and RTS game in a MMO environment. However, this is a lie meant to draw in clueless rubes and sperglords who like to pretend that their level 20 maxed out knights and the ridiculous defenses they built in the town that took them weeks to build up mean something.

In reality the game is more like a high fantasy evil overlord simulator. People who get the game understand that it's not about building the prettiest city. It's about a contest to see who has drunk the most pubbie tears, piked the most heads of your hated foes, and forced the most of your dirty peasants to go scrabbling about the (usually burning) battlefield looting corpses while five squads of head taking psychotic berserkers duke it out all around them.

Because of this it also has amazing potential for causing people to completely lose their poo poo, as i'll elaborate on below.

Pyromania for Profit - Or why fire in this game is loving hilarious:

Like the post above mentioned, outside of literally being a game where you can pillage and loot player and AI cities viking style, it also has amazing fire mechanics. Fire spreads to any ignitable objects, and barring peasants putting them out or the weather changing to extinguish them, it will consume entire cities. It will also do massive damage to enemies that walk through it, since when you think of humanoid characters you usually don't think of them being immune to flames.

The game also has EVE Online-esque permadeath for units. So that level 30+ hero you spent weeks upon weeks building up? Gone forever when someone ambushes his troops in the field with heavy cavalry and cuts him down before you can react. Likewise, those five battalions of nigh unkillable knights you were :smug:ing hard about on global chat? Burned alive by some dickhead with a pyromania fetish before you realized that black stuff on the ground around them was ignitable tar that he set down earlier.

What's more, any building that's destroyed also costs resources and time to rebuild. And many of the current non fortification buildings for the races are made of wood. Likewise, larger cities pack them together very tightly. Which would be an advantage in any other game that didn't take such a :black101: approach to fantasy and medieval warfare, but in here just means that that chokepoint in a nearby alleyway can quickly become a flesh roasting inferno that devours half the town before it finally runs out of stuff to devour.

Normally, burning everything to the ground wouldn't be a priority for people. So the damage isn't too terrible. However, that assumes the person attacking a town is there to sack your town or just fight. Realizing that, I looked at ways to exploit fire. There are a few ways my favorite race can do it, but none are absolutely reliable.

Then I discovered that you can recruit dragons.

Normally it's difficult for humans (the race i've been playing as, and the race most common in the region my town is in) to manually set stuff on fire in a pinpoint precision manner. Sure, it'll bust out everywhere (Hell, I even had an alleyway of buildings suddenly burst into flames when I had a troop of knights charging down it, slaughtering everything. Which was a bug, but funny as hell.) if you're using units that can ignite stuff, but most of them don't have accurate attack ground commands.

However, dragons have two skills that are hilariously dickish. One has the dragon belch out a giant fireball that explodes like some sort of medieval fuel-air bomb. The other has it charge up to whatever you select and vomit up flames in the most dickish looking way possible.

Once I figured that out, I immediately removed my dragon from the actual combat in any battles and instead sent it flying around the battlefield, turning it into something out of Trogdor's wet dreams. I also shelved most of my elite units, putting them on the defense in my city, and instead trained up a horde of highly expendable troops that I could replace easily. Then I gave the majority of them the ability to set stuff on fire too.

When I laid siege to a place, I didn't even always fight any players directly. Instead i'd just send my archers into the city with flaming arrows and start igniting everything. Meanwhile, my melee troops and my player character would lock down any defending forces until the flames consumed them all, while my peasants scrabbled behind the lines of battle, scavenging what gold dropped off of my enemies and my poor cannon fodder's corpses.

The result was that even if I lost the siege, I still won since it'd still take my opponent a full day's worth of time to rebuild the one hundred something houses, fortifications, and other buildings i'd usually burn to the ground. Never mind if he was stupid enough to use wooden fortifications, which meant that his town/city was literally defenseless the next time another player rolled through the area seeking tribute or to loot and pillage the place.

On that note, the game has a surprisingly chill community most of the time, but there's always those assholes who think that "real" combat has them lining up their max level gimmick build of knights and crossbowmen versus whatever peasant tier trash that the guy they decided to bully their opponent had scrabbled together to defend their town. So taking the EVE style "goddamn bees" approach in this manner tends to be cathartic.

This caused a few meltdowns about how I was "honorless", how I should "fight fair" against their lovely and often gimmicky attempts at actual combat, and "sucked dick" when they realized they brought a bunch of units that were so slow that they could do nothing to stop me from rampaging through their little fiefdom.

Of course, by immolating their armies, burning their town to the ground instead of pillaging it, and slaughtering their hero characters, they were literally reduced to the level of that newbie in terms of effectiveness. Which is probably why some of them got so angry. :v:

The best part is that I could easily recoup my losses by using the gold I stole off of the pubbie's corpses to hire more soldiers to pillage, loot, and burn them down. So every kill on my side and theirs contributed to the cause of burning more stuff.

And if I won the major battles in a siege? I usually got a few minutes to utterly wreck their town beyond all hope of repair. In those two minutes I could burn everything some smug neckbeard sporting grognard owns down while listening to the lamentations of his women them weeping and screaming about losing their precious pixels. :unsmigghh:

Just a reminder that Dawn of Fantasy:Kingdom Wars is todays's Steam daily deal for six bux.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Novum posted:

Dude's a professional tryhard, though. He tryhards for a paycheck, and god bless him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SugarAddict posted:

I still have Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. also, picking oddjob. Another interesting thing in perfect dark is you can semi-customize your body. However, giving yourself a small body and small head meant less hitpoints, giving yourself a large body and a large head meant a ton more hitpoints. Also, the grinder and laptop guns. I have killed so many people with laptop guns. The special thing about laptop guns is they can be thrown at a wall and turned into a turret. what you do is place it down at the end of a hallway just far away enough that it can still shoot at people comming down the hallway, but at that distance its difficult for a player or computer to sucessfully shoot it since it was a smaller target from being so far away. Laptop guns are one of the many many things my friends and family have agreed to ban.

If Oddjob/Elvis/other short character isn't banned in your house rules then your friends deserved to get griefed :colbert:

• Locked thread