Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

yes, but the problem with a water bath is that unless its vacuum packed the result is waterlogged meat. Also thawing slowly helps the meatjuices equilibrate through the muscle.

I toss vacuum bagged frozen meat into cool running water constantly and don't have any weird meat juice distribution problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

This recipe is a great beginner recipe that looks great and doesn't insult your intelligence. Salting your onions is good. The oven thing is a good trick I've done before. Gruyere is still the way to go though, gently caress cheddar on onion soup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptauy20rLjg

This recipe is alright -- uniform onions are a MAJOR important thing to do, which she didn't really go for. Adding sugar is pretty bullshit. See these onions are halfway cooked halfway burnt. Lame. She doesn't deglaze, she just adds red wine to the soup. LAME. The gruyere is good, but the "broiler" just made them look like underneath my desk after a long day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoCPQurAWVE

Hey, Mrs. Goodfellas, your onions are cut like poo poo. I'm already fast forwarded. Olive oil? gently caress you. Another sugar adder? gently caress you. Okay, onions look pretty good... using sherry and beef stock.. okay nonna..ughh I don't like the big chunks of bread in the soup but that's pretty common. I hate your choice of sharp cheddar but I must respect your reasoning. Your broiled cheese looks lovely. I was going to give you high marks after all, but that cheese sucks. Better than what I was expecting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7iIl9_8UU

Julia Child is and always will be a loving boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsmCEVo3LQ

Also Julia Child's onions are the best, though honestly you (rightly so) will probably not want to tempt fate and let them go as dark as she does, not until you are comfortable with the process.

Turkeybone posted:

Alternately, you can just make the cheese toast separately and place them on top of your soup. Obviously this isn't ideal... we all want/love that loving crusty-almost-burnt-cheese on the sides of a french onion soup crock, but if your oven is lame (as many home ovens are) or you dont want to gently caress with the broiler (just doing toast is much easier) or a salamander (if you have one of these you probably wouldnt be asking for the recipe) or blowtorch, just make a whole little bunch of toasts and put them on top of your soup after the fact.

The recipe above is pretty standard and solid.. I always like MOOOOREEEE onions, and then it's your personal tastes. You can do chicken if you don't have beef, but white beef stock is more or less the gold standard. Thyme is good sometimes. Sometimes you can do beer instead of wine/brandy. I like Calvados a lot there, too; I make it super Normandy style so it's all about butter/cheese/onions/apples.

As long as you caramelize the onions for five minutes longer than your brain can comprehend (30-45m at least), it should turn out pretty awesome.

e: I will now watch no less than five french onion soup youtubes and post the one I think is most "correct."

PatMarshall posted:

Its pretty easy, slice 4-6 onions (depending on size) and cook in a lot of butter until well caramelized, should take 30-45 minutes. Then deglaze with white wine and/or vermouth and brandy (or port or red wine or whatever really, just watch cooking wine since it sucks and also has a lot of added salt). Add thyme, bay leaf, garlic if you like it, and beef broth (homemade is best, but use canned rather than not making it at all, but bear in mind that some canned broth is very salty). season to taste and cook for a while. Ladle into ovenproof bowls, top with croutons (slice and toast good bread, drizzle with oil, rub with a clove of garlic) and plenty of shredded gruyere cheese, broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.

Soup is fun to make since its so forgiving and responds well to experimentation.

Thank you for this info!!

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Are there any cooking shows on TV that are worth watching if you want to learn something while being entertained? all shows I've seen are too much focused on intrigue, suspense and being a reality show, rather than actually showing something that can be learned from.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Sjonkel posted:

Are there any cooking shows on TV that are worth watching if you want to learn something while being entertained? all shows I've seen are too much focused on intrigue, suspense and being a reality show, rather than actually showing something that can be learned from.

Good Eats.
I also like America's Test Kitchen

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sjonkel posted:

Literally the same advice as the guy above.

Good Eats
and
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

I'm interested as well if there are any other current quality shows out there that go more into just getting at the heart of techniques / recipes instead of "You have 20 mins to make this dish for our judges who will yell at you."

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Help! I've got a new job as a teacher and we're having a potluck party tonight. I'm really poor at the moment and need to bring something minimally expensive.

I've got:
Eggs
Flour
Oil
Chickpeas
Red beans
Garlic

It also needs to cook fast, as I've got roughly an hour to prepare. I was thinking of splurging on a lemon, make mayonnaise and something simple to dip.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How many chickpeas do you have? I find that good fresh hummus is always welcome at a party.

If you don't have any tahini, you can use a little peanut butter.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I often sub sesame oil for tahini. Hmmm.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I've decided. I remembered that I pulled a minced meat package from the freezer last night. Meat balls with hummus.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

I've decided. I remembered that I pulled a minced meat package from the freezer last night. Meat balls with hummus.

Do you have loads of garlic? You could make toum with meatballs and chickpea fritters.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

YES. I'm struggling with consistency/texture on things like falafel though. I made some with flour that were plain mush.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Someone mentioned on this forum that falafels have to be done with raw chickpeas (soaked, but raw), otherwise consistency will suck. I know when I tried after cooking dry chickpeas it didn't work for me either, so I guess I'll believe who ever it was that said it.
So cooked or canned chickpeas won't work for falafels so forget them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Breaky posted:

Literally the same advice as the guy above.

Good Eats
and
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

I'm interested as well if there are any other current quality shows out there that go more into just getting at the heart of techniques / recipes instead of "You have 20 mins to make this dish for our judges who will yell at you."

Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way is a great show as well.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I have been watching The Frugal Gourmet and it is fine edutainment. The food on this show is pure 80's nostalgia.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Galloping Gourmet is a classic that's pretty entertaining.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Someone mentioned on this forum that falafels have to be done with raw chickpeas (soaked, but raw), otherwise consistency will suck. I know when I tried after cooking dry chickpeas it didn't work for me either, so I guess I'll believe who ever it was that said it.
So cooked or canned chickpeas won't work for falafels so forget them.
Thanks! The taste was quite nice, but texture was way off. I went for meatballs with marmite and onion, and a vegetarian/vegan hummus on the side.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjonkel posted:

Cook Like Heston, Molto Mario, Avec Eric, Easy Chinese (Ching He Huang), any of the old Julia Child or Jacques Pepin shows, Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cooking Course, French Food at Home, Youtube channels: cookingwithdog, maangchi, foodwishes, manjulaskitchen, vahchef, sortedfood.

Anyone who watches for long enough Good Eats will realize to take what he says with a grain of salt. Food science is ever changing, techniques are modernizing, and he always presents things as THE ONE TRUE WAY. Some things which benefit from receiving the Good Eats treatment more than once are treated in a completely different way the 2nd time around, often with contradicting information that he chastised in previous episodes.

Also, gently caress his dumbass unitasker rant bullshit. He uses unitaskers all the drat time.

edit: vvvv hell yeah. :getin:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 16, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

French Food at Home

:quagmire:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Charmmi posted:

I have been watching The Frugal Gourmet and it is fine edutainment. The food on this show is pure 80's nostalgia.

I've heard that he makes some rather glaring cross-contamination errors on camera. True?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:allears: Laura Calder

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've heard that he makes some rather glaring cross-contamination errors on camera. True?

Don't forget those lawsuits about sexual abuse of teenagers in the 70's and 90's killed his career.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Squashy Nipples posted:

Learning food safety from most TV cooking shows is a very bad idea.

Alton Brown is great if you have no idea, because he does focus on technique instead of just recipes. There comes a point when you realize that he's shown you everything he can show you and you need to move on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Here's a fun one. Lobsters are getting ridiculously cheap right now in New England. I grew up up cooking crawfish, crabs and shrimp, but we get no lobsters in the warm gulf of mexico waters.

This Sunday my roommate and I are going to figure out how the gently caress to cook up lobsters since I have the entire day free and lobsters available live for less than 4$ a pound.

Just looking for ideas. I at least plan on boiling 1-2 just to do the standard thing and also make some lobster bisque. I'm googling all over about this stuff, but you guys know whats up. Any good tips / favorite must-do recipes for lobster? Looking for something that I can do within a 6h window at the most.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Breaky posted:

Just looking for ideas. I at least plan on boiling 1-2 just to do the standard thing and also make some lobster bisque. I'm googling all over about this stuff, but you guys know whats up. Any good tips / favorite must-do recipes for lobster? Looking for something that I can do within a 6h window at the most.
Put your lobsters in a pot and pour (room temperature) water over them to cover. Remove the lobsters and measure (however you want) the amount of water. You want to add 1/4 cup of white vinegar to the water for ever gallon of water. Bring the water and vinegar to a boil.

Remove from heat and dunk the lobsters in the boiling water for 2, 2 1/2 minutes, then remove the lobsters and reserve the water. Remove the tail and claws (the whole claw/arm, not just the pinchy part), returning the claws to the water for another 5 minutes. Save the rest.

Shell the tail and claws. Shell the body to remove the tomalley and roe (reserving them if you use 'em) and other guts. Save the rest to make stock.

Make enough beurre monté to cover the tail and claws. To do this you just put a little water (a tbsp or two) in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer, lower the heat, then start adding butter in chunks. What you're looking for is a nice even emulsion. The temperature is more important than the proportions---a little water goes a long way. You want the temperature to stay around 170, 180 F, and letting it go a little cold is better than letting it go a little hot (it'll break). Just add a little butter, stir stir stir, and it should emulsify and become very uniform. Keep stirring and stirring as you add more butter until you have enough for your lobster bits.

When you have your beurre monté, the rest is easy. Just add the bits of lobster and poach them in the butter until they're done.

This approach was popularised by Keller, and so I assume the recipe/technique is probably in the French Laundry cookbook. This is filtered through my brain so I assume it varies in at least a few particulars from Keller's method.

If you want to get all molecular you can use xanthan gum in emulsifying the beurre monté to make it more stable but, eh, I wouldn't bother because it's such a loving simple sauce and fretting over the temperature to not break the emulsion will help you hit the right temperature for poaching anyway.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah it's a crazy bad idea to try to figure out food safety standards from cooking shows. All the female hosts who cook with their pretty hair all loose and flowy and with their painted nails not in gloves makes me twitch if I focus too hard on it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mascaria posted:

Yeah it's a crazy bad idea to try to figure out food safety standards from cooking shows. All the female hosts who cook with their pretty hair all loose and flowy and with their painted nails not in gloves makes me twitch if I focus too hard on it.

Every person that wears a ring or bracelet drives me crazy.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

mascaria posted:

Hey, almost all of them make sure to rinse their hands for nearly a whole second after handling raw chicken.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Hey, almost all of them make sure to rinse their hands for nearly a whole second after handling raw chicken.

The quick cuts make it difficult to see what's happening in real-time and what is happening over a period of time. It's hard to tell a lot of times, so yeah.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Who was our resident behind-the-scenes Food Network guy? Was it Worldmaker? Whatever happened to him? His stories were the best.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The name rings a bell. Not sure if that was the guy working for the cooking shows, or the guy that opened up his own place as a restaurant, catering and then giving it up and doing ice cream though.

I agree with you before about AB, lots of contradictions so you pretty much have to watch the entire series before you have any confidence, but it's a great primer for introductions and while sometimes silly, at least tries to explain methods and pass on some understanding, unlike regular cooking shows that are either i) wrong anyway, ii)don't explain anything anyway.
So while AB sometimes is wrong, at least you can work out why later on by reading or watching other great books, internet sources, forums such as this and, well, I was going to say video but really no one else has even made the attempt to make something like what AB did, though Heston and Ramsey are pretty good.
Edit:
Ching He Huang, Ken Hom (don't know if he has his own show, but has been in a series with Ching He Huang before), "and any of the old Julia Child or Jacques Pepin shows" and "manjulaskitchen" are good too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 17, 2013

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Tell me about tofu. I've eaten it exactly twice, the most recent time being the other night when I bought some of the firm stuff so I could try this recipe. I think I cut it up a bit too small, though it could just be more delicate than 'firm' implies as it fell apart quite a lot in the dish. Not a problem, but it made me realise I have no loving idea about this stuff. I hear you can get a good crust on it, and that sounds like it would be appealng, but I don't really know about any of the ways one would deal with it.

Also, how long does it last? I've got it in tupperware in the fridge and have been changing the water daily as instructed, but there's a lot for two people to get through in any reasonable time. I've read that you can freeze it - is this advisable? Does it mess with the texture or anything? And, if I freeze it, should I defrost it before cooking with it?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Bollock Monkey posted:

I think I cut it up a bit too small, though it could just be more delicate than 'firm' implies as it fell apart quite a lot in the dish.

I'm not a tofu expert, but it sounds like you made the same mistake I did my first time using tofu.

Wrap the tofu in a few paper towels and place a heavy plate on top for a few minutes. You want the tofu to be as dry as possible before you cook it. Otherwise, it'll fall apart, and if you're frying it, it'll stick to the pan and crumble when you try to move it.

As for your other questions, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can answer them. I've only ever bought tofu for a recipe and made sure to use it all during the same week.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

Tell me about tofu. I've eaten it exactly twice, the most recent time being the other night when I bought some of the firm stuff so I could try this recipe. I think I cut it up a bit too small, though it could just be more delicate than 'firm' implies as it fell apart quite a lot in the dish. Not a problem, but it made me realise I have no loving idea about this stuff. I hear you can get a good crust on it, and that sounds like it would be appealng, but I don't really know about any of the ways one would deal with it.

Also, how long does it last? I've got it in tupperware in the fridge and have been changing the water daily as instructed, but there's a lot for two people to get through in any reasonable time. I've read that you can freeze it - is this advisable? Does it mess with the texture or anything? And, if I freeze it, should I defrost it before cooking with it?

See if you can find "Extra Firm", that's the best stuff. Silken tofu has the consistency of snot, so it's good for making creamy sauces and desserts, but it does NOT stand up on it's own. If you want it to stay in pieces, you need to cook it properly, too.

As long as you leave it sealed up in it's brine it lasts a VERY long time. Once cooked into a dish, it lasts about as long as any other cooked food, 5-7 days in the fridge. Yes you can freeze it, but yes, it does change the texture... for the better! Freezing it and then squeezing out the fluid is one of my girlfriend's favorite techniques, it makes for very meaty tofu. Just pull it out of the freezer, put a weight on it, and let it thaw for a while. And yes, you have to defrost frozen tofu... would you cook any other protein frozen? Dry frying is another great method, you can get an excellent crust with that.

Here are some links:

15 Minute Crispy Low Fat Buffalo Tofu; no pressing required!

Simple 5 Spice Tofu

Awesome Vegan Tofu Banh Mi

EDIT: here is a link with the pressed method.

Simple Bok Choy and Tofu Stir Fry

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 17, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Cube up your tofu into little bites, and toss in a mixture of cornstarch, salt (and lots of it), a fair bit of oil, and black pepper (optional). Lay it in one layer on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet, and bake at 350F for 25 minutes. That'll get crispy on the outside, and will stand up to lots of moving around when you're stove cooking.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I'm trying to make this: http://food52.com/recipes/6207-kefta-style-meatballs-with-grilled-grapes-and-yogurt-sauce

It says it needs some portions of chopped mint and copped parsley.

Do I just do that with a knife? Or a food processor?

Thanks, I know it's a really dumb question.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's relatively quick to do with a knife. I wouldn't want to dirty a food processor for 1/4 cup of mint.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheReverend posted:

So I'm trying to make this: http://food52.com/recipes/6207-kefta-style-meatballs-with-grilled-grapes-and-yogurt-sauce

It says it needs some portions of chopped mint and copped parsley.

Do I just do that with a knife? Or a food processor?

Thanks, I know it's a really dumb question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1x92jq2L4&t=1m29s This is just a quick pull from youtube. Also, just be aware mint stems can be pretty bitter, so just use the leaf.

It's nothing hard. Just layer the herbs on top of each other and thinly slice 'em. Or do one leaf at a time or something if you just like slicin' things :ese:.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 17, 2013

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thanks, guys! I am looking forward to many fun bean curd adventures.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Squashy Nipples posted:

As long as you leave it sealed up in it's brine it lasts a VERY long time.

I haven't found this to be the case, it goes bad fairly quick and the smell of rotten tofu is unbelievably godawful. Cleaning that out of the fridge when it broke its container and spilled everywhere still gives me nightmares. I live in Asia so I don't know if that's a factor, but in my experience with tofu here I wouldn't keep it more than a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Drifter posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1x92jq2L4&t=1m29s This is just a quick pull from youtube. Also, just be aware mint stems can be pretty bitter, so just use the leaf.

It's nothing hard. Just layer the herbs on top of each other and thinly slice 'em. Or do one leaf at a time or something if you just like slicin' things :ese:.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!