Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I've had the city work presets give me weird results, like default giving more hammers than production focus.

Just encountered an infuriating bug. The ottomans have a 1 hp Great War infantry on a hill, and it just ate a full strength cavalry and lancer attack without dying. It killed my full health units. What is this poo poo, Civ II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

DrPlump posted:

In all these Deity lets play videos I notice they manually manage their worker tiles. Is this something I should be doing and learning how to do? I assumed the default setting was good balance but then I realized all the other AI in this game sucks. Should I be locking certain tiles is the worker assignment really so dumb it would assign people to crappier tiles?

Yes. Manual population management is the "next level" for Civ 5, along with specializing your cities correctly and so on.

For instance, you might want to stagnate a city and focus on production to get a specific Wonder, or manage happiness, etc.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pvt.Scott posted:

Just encountered an infuriating bug. The ottomans have a 1 hp Great War infantry on a hill, and it just ate a full strength cavalry and lancer attack without dying. It killed my full health units. What is this poo poo, Civ II?
What did it tell you for the approximate damage thing? If it was fortified it's sitting on ~44 strength despite the low health, plus any other promotions it has. Not surprised at all that it managed to kill your lancer at least.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
What's this? The reverse spearman from hell?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I automate my workers after I'm done building rail-roads, with them set not to remove features or replace improvements. That generally just means they'll repair pillaged stuff and build trading posts on unclaimed tiles. Even if they screw stuff up, I only keep around 2-3 at that point so they can't hurt much. I've never seen them try to add more roads once rails are laid, but if you automate them before that they'll do stupid poo poo like build a rail route right next to an existing road route instead of replacing the roads.

Automated worked tile selection is ok for the most part, I usually only micro my capital and a couple other important cities. Even then, it's usually a matter of locking down a few important tiles and letting the governor pick the rest with the right focus.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I only ever automated workers, unless I really need a road built. Not sure if this is a great strategy or not really.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always automate. It's so much more useful when you start hitting Industrial and new stuff pops up. THey go and improve that newly discovered uranium or build a railroad to the newly conquered enemy capital. I find its useful to take a lot of that drudgery out of it. I also keep one or two workers unautomated so I can specifically have them come update THIS new luxury, or repair this stuff I had pillaged during my siege.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm about 25 hours into my first game with Brave New World and Gods and Kings. I really like the impact of Brave New World on warfare. The revolutions, ideological strife, greater variety of troops, and good old pillaging make my traditional late-game rampage feel a lot like World War 2. It does feel like each civ's turns take longer but it's bearable. I'm using the Play the Earth map set instead of Legendary Earth, and I think it's more balanced although not as geographically accurate.

What does it mean to have a leader be afraid of me? I have nuclear weapons and the biggest army so I guess that's why they're all scared, what diplomatic impact does it have when a leader is afraid?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

misguided rage posted:

What did it tell you for the approximate damage thing? If it was fortified it's sitting on ~44 strength despite the low health, plus any other promotions it has. Not surprised at all that it managed to kill your lancer at least.

How did it at 1 hp (so roughly 50% of normal str) not die to two attacks? The second assault was with cavalry, as in one tier below the great infantry. Either one of those should have killed it regardless. As far as I know, he was on a hill, was defending, and had Himeji castle. Probably wasn't heavily promoted because I've been murdering Morroccan on a regular basis, so worst case scenario he was two promotions plus Heroic Epic just like my lancer and cav. Sure, they would lose a lot of health, but 100% for attacking a unit one tier above them? poo poo was weird, man.

Reloaded to an autosave of that turn...85 str? The hell? Oh well.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 16, 2013

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pvt.Scott posted:

How did it at 1 hp (so roughly 50% of normal str) not die to two attacks?
The number of attacks doesn't matter at all at that point. Only one unit can die during combat; if both are brought below 1 hp, the unit with the lower hp dies, and the other is set to 1 hp. In your case, if the gwi did 150 damage to your dude and they did 50 damage to him, he'll be at -49 while you'll be at -50 and he'll happily survive with 1 hp.

As well, damage is calculated by taking the ratio of your combat strengths and doing some math to it, including raising it to some power, and then that final number is reduced by how wounded you are. The gist of which is that the damage reduction from being wounded is less important the further from a 1:1 strength match you are. Even assuming that you both had the same non-himeji promotions (ie. drill) he's still getting a +90% defense boost that you aren't, plus 50 base strength to your 34, which puts him pretty close to 3x stronger. It's no surprise at all that your lancer got pulverized, and while the cavalry was a closer match there's also some variance included in the damage, so you may have just gotten unlucky.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought units followed the rules as city attacks, where a 1‐HP scout can take a 200‐defence city if and only if ranged attacks have reduced the target’s health to nothing.

I’ve never been out‐matched severely enough to prove otherwise.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Which factor is it that makes different ideologies cause unhappiness to my population? Culture/tourism, my terrible reputation, religion, something else?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I thought units followed the rules as city attacks, where a 1‐HP scout can take a 200‐defence city if and only if ranged attacks have reduced the target’s health to nothing.

I’ve never been out‐matched severely enough to prove otherwise.
That's actually the only difference between city combat and unit combat, if both the city and the attacking unit are dropped below 1hp then the unit automatically wins.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Derek Agony posted:

Which factor is it that makes different ideologies cause unhappiness to my population? Culture/tourism, my terrible reputation, religion, something else?

Any civs with a different ideology and having higher tourism influence on you than you have on them will cause unhappiness. So if you're 15% influential on a civ and they're 25% influential on you, you're likely to get some unhappiness.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I only set workers to automated in the late game right when Railroad is researched, because by that point I'm getting lazy/preoccupied by other stuff. Once my railroads are built I set them back to manual so they don't do something stupid like improve a banana tile.

I believe controlling workers in the early to mid game is essential. Tile improvement/citizen management is a huge deal and the AI has wonky priorities

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

misguided rage posted:

The number of attacks doesn't matter at all at that point. Only one unit can die during combat; if both are brought below 1 hp, the unit with the lower hp dies, and the other is set to 1 hp. In your case, if the gwi did 150 damage to your dude and they did 50 damage to him, he'll be at -49 while you'll be at -50 and he'll happily survive with 1 hp.

As well, damage is calculated by taking the ratio of your combat strengths and doing some math to it, including raising it to some power, and then that final number is reduced by how wounded you are. The gist of which is that the damage reduction from being wounded is less important the further from a 1:1 strength match you are. Even assuming that you both had the same non-himeji promotions (ie. drill) he's still getting a +90% defense boost that you aren't, plus 50 base strength to your 34, which puts him pretty close to 3x stronger. It's no surprise at all that your lancer got pulverized, and while the cavalry was a closer match there's also some variance included in the damage, so you may have just gotten unlucky.

So just a bunch of poo poo rolls and being behind in tech with a helping of bad idea on top. I can handle that.

I lost that game anyway. Doing much better as India now. First time I've ever been the tech leader on Emperor!

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
How the hell do you win a cultural victory? really

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

kruna posted:

Stack Great Works. Build Hotels, Airports and the National Visitor's Center. Research the Internet.

Enemy civ being stubborn about not converting to Glorious McDonalds? Throw a party in their borders with some Great Musicians or invade them and loot their capital.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also build Wonders. That stuff eventually turns into a huge tourism bonus.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kruna posted:

All of the big bonuses happen late game. You can usually win before The Internet, but that makes it a sure thing almost. Make Great Works as often as you can for most of the game, get wonders and use their theming bonuses, prioritize Refrigeration and Radar for Hotels and Airports, propose and really shoot for getting the International Games +100% bonus, and try to time a Great Musician rush when you're at peak culture with the most stacked bonuses you can achieve. (finish aesthetics and bank faith so you can buy some)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

kruna posted:

Don't forget to make archaeologists to dig up artifacts. Make sites within workable range of your cities into landmarks and dig everything else up to put in a museum/trade for other artifacts. Get open borders with people that have sites. Digging their stuff up will make them yell at you, but nothing real bad. Dig up all the sites in city-states too. They don't even care!

Remember, it belongs in a museum! Your museum.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does anyone else find that the ideologies doesn't really accomplish the whole 'alliance blocs' thing it was supposed to do? To use my current game as an example, nearly everyone is autocracy including Shaka, the big bad villian in the world that everyone hates. Most of the game has been constant everyone vs Shaka wars (and none of them are able to conquer him since he's mostly on his own island).

This seems to be the recurring trend in most of the gmaes I've played since BNW; one warmonger civ conquers a city too many and everyone denounces him, this leads to everyone in the world becoming friends since they denounced the same guy. This friendship becomes even more solidified once everyone starts declaring war on the warmonger. Once ideologies roll around nobody cares if they're different or same ideology because the years of being friends has solidly placed everyone in the anti-warmonger alliance (one that is incapable of doing anything over water)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Does anyone else find that the ideologies doesn't really accomplish the whole 'alliance blocs' thing it was supposed to do? To use my current game as an example, nearly everyone is autocracy including Shaka, the big bad villian in the world that everyone hates. Most of the game has been constant everyone vs Shaka wars (and none of them are able to conquer him since he's mostly on his own island).

This seems to be the recurring trend in most of the gmaes I've played since BNW; one warmonger civ conquers a city too many and everyone denounces him, this leads to everyone in the world becoming friends since they denounced the same guy. This friendship becomes even more solidified once everyone starts declaring war on the warmonger. Once ideologies roll around nobody cares if they're different or same ideology because the years of being friends has solidly placed everyone in the anti-warmonger alliance (one that is incapable of doing anything over water)

I've had the complete opposite experience with almost all of my games, Ideologies are an extremely powerful factor in diplomacy and instantly creates unbreakable blocs that causes former enemies to declare themselves friends and former friends to drop all relations and go to war with each other.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've had the complete opposite experience with almost all of my games, Ideologies are an extremely powerful factor in diplomacy and instantly creates unbreakable blocs that causes former enemies to declare themselves friends and former friends to drop all relations and go to war with each other.

I do notice that too, in the rare occurrence that every single Civ on Earth doesn't choose order.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I get the impression that you only see varied ideologies when civs are picking them up at roughly the same time - if someone has a huge tech lead and starts putting out ideology pressure early, civs will take that into account and often take the same one to avoid the unhappiness penalties.

That's just based on what I'm seeing during play though, and I don't have a massive sample size to be drawing from. Maybe there's something else at play. Even if what I think is the cause is correct, there's also a whole host of other variables that change from game to game (base happiness levels when prompted to pick an ideology, tourism output of ideology leaders, cultural defense against said tourism, etc).

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Well, just found out what happens when you don't denounce someone when a friend comes to ask you to do so. If you refuse, you instead get denounced by your friend! Fun.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Is turtling a viable option to take while still being able to win a game? Also, what's a typical minimum number of cities you can maintain while remaining competitive at Emperor level?

I'm thinking it could be fun to play a small, powerful and influential civilisation rather than a massive sprawling billion-move-per-turn empire (I've never had a huge empire anyway). I have flashbacks to reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series and wanted to emulate the Foundation :3:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh man. I think I've got one of the best starting spots ever.

Yeah, it's a bit low on resources, but there aint gonna be anybody taking my capital! Besides, since I'm playing as Rome, the capital builds everything quickly anyway. Once I get a few cities, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
To be honest I probably would've rerolled if I had gotten that start. That's a lot of unworkable tiles.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

eXXon posted:

Any civs with a different ideology and having higher tourism influence on you than you have on them will cause unhappiness. So if you're 15% influential on a civ and they're 25% influential on you, you're likely to get some unhappiness.

I had unhappiness from China's influence over me, even though their tourism output wasn't that much higher, so I invaded them and took all but one of their cities and now China sits at 21 tourism with me at 60, but this was several turn ago and the unhappiness problem hasn't gone down, will it do so over time?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys this is like the best start ever!!!

*Posts sub-standard capital*

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mine is way better, and even more the bestest.

I restarted. :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've noticed the Celts seem to start near deserts a lot in my games; is this intentional? Or does the world generator place forests near plains, which are near deserts?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Poil posted:

Mine is way better, and even more the bestest.

I restarted. :v:

That'll teach you to disable start bias.

Because their start bias is their UA, they are one of the few civs I would never feel bad about rerolling if I didn't get any forests. Also whoever gave Russia Tundra as their start bias is cruel.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Marketing New Brain posted:

Because their start bias is their UA, they are one of the few civs I would never feel bad about rerolling if I didn't get any forests. Also whoever gave Russia Tundra as their start bias is cruel.

Hey, you find a lot of strategic resources in tundra.

Because there's nothing else there :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Marketing New Brain posted:

I didn't. I only do that when I play as the Aztecs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Poil posted:

I didn't. I only do that when I play as the Aztecs.

Don't they want to have a river, preferably? Or is their start bias jungle only?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hammer Floyd posted:

Oh man. I think I've got one of the best starting spots ever.

Yeah, it's a bit low on resources, but there aint gonna be anybody taking my capital! Besides, since I'm playing as Rome, the capital builds everything quickly anyway. Once I get a few cities, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

I think you're confused. Rome's UA is that all its other cities get a production bonus to anything that has been built in the capital.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
That's still a good capital though, I don't know what people want in their starting location better than coastal with a mountain. Rome doesn't need 100 tiles to work because it goes wide anyway. The only mistake was settling on the godawful corner instead of on the luxury, ensuring 2 gold per turn early, no need to have a worker hook it up, and then you could have settled another city on the Sugar and shared the wheat.

Also, Rome can be a super city anyway thanks to 3-4 nearby coastal cities feeding it hammer or food. Not every city needs to have Petra.

Gort posted:

Don't they want to have a river, preferably? Or is their start bias jungle only?

They are jungle, along with Brazil and The Maya. I love jungle starts personally, they lead to much more powerful cities, just steal an extra worker or something to make up for needing to get rid of all that forest.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Jungle only I think, and it's a lot easier to get a river without start bias than it is to get a non-jungle with it.

• Locked thread