Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

If you're shipping less than like a million units of something and you have any say in the matter than use a Cortex microcontroller. Then use GCC to compile your 32 bit ARM code, I hear that compiler is pretty good. The cost is basically the same as MSP430 and PIC at this point, it's slightly more expensive, but the price difference is not worth the extra ballache unless you're shipping a shitton of units.

Your IDE is vim you loving scrublord. Binary we're-only-technically-not-violating-the-GPL gdbservers for JTAG devices can be a pain to work with, though.

or idk maybe you care about power consumption what a novel concept

and i dont mean care as in 'well itd sure be good if this was greener' i mean care as in 'this literally gets a dozen microamps to run off of, figure it out'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my lovely arm board contains a cortex-m3 that has a 65 kHz mode drawing 9-12 uamps, plus itll run at 32 mhz for a dozen milliamps. idk if thats good but it sounds cool

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i keep banging this drum but the EFM32 is p sweet with regards to power consumption and that's a Cortex M3

poo poo is a fucen dream to program for as well

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so i'm lurking the scala thread and holy poo poo what is the matter with scala

can somebody please justify it to me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

yeah i keep banging this drum but the EFM32 is p sweet with regards to power consumption and that's a Cortex M3

poo poo is a fucen dream to program for as well

i totally forgot you mentioned these. i need to bookmark these drat things, they sound incredible. gonna use one as soon as i can, thanks.

may be tough convincing the greybeards that not all msp430s are the final word in power :v:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

it's javascript on the server

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FamDav posted:

do you want to use java but you're afraid you're hipster friends will make fun of you? try scala

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

shrughes posted:

There are ways to avoid these strawman N^2 callback/state combinations quite rigorously. Use the right design pattern.

e: well maybe this is only really really true in advanced statically typed languages such as C++.

It's likely possible, but the question then becomes if it's less painful than alternatives. The "if you are careful enough it's fine" argument is a weak one when the thing you're comparing it to is a generally non-painful option.

It doesn't just have to be possible to do things fine, it has to be at least as good as alternatives.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shaggar posted:

do you want to use java but you're afraid you're hipster friends will make fun of you? try scala

do you want to use haskell but it looks hard and different and you have some jvm lib you're tied to anyway? try scala

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
No one has ever wanted to use Haskell.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
i was really stoned when i learnt haskell

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shaggar posted:

No one has ever wanted to use Haskell.

shaggar have you used haskell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
No, b/c I've never wanted to and I've never needed to.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

No, b/c I've never wanted to and I've never needed to.

but you've used linq haven't you?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes. im not a fan, for the most part.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FamDav posted:

what do you want justified? it's fast, it's relatively nice, and it has access to pretty much any java lib.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Yeah most of the warts I've seen with Scala are justified as being necessary to maintain compatibility with Java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you want to use java then just use java instead.

unrelated: the stuff in System.Workflow.Activities.Rules in .net is good enough for stupid and simple rules processing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shaggar posted:

unrelated: the stuff in System.Workflow.Activities.Rules in .net is good enough for stupid and simple rules processing.

and if we don't want to use java but use java libs?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you're lying to yourself

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
oh i just think it's silly that they all the monads are referred to as collections even though thats a strain for some of the classes they are defined on.

also methods are gay

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

FamDav posted:

oh i just think it's silly that they all the monads are referred to as collections even though thats a strain for some of the classes they are defined on.

also methods are gay

yeah, it usually doesn't bother me but sometimes it acts weird, like zip between 2 options returning a list[(T,U)] instead of an Option[(T,U)].

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Condiv posted:

yeah, it usually doesn't bother me but sometimes it acts weird, like zip between 2 options returning a list[(T,U)] instead of an Option[(T,U)].

yeah i saw your post in the scala thread but since i dont plan on compilin poo poo ill just ask here

why did you do

code:
   //for comprehension style

(for((a,b) <- (x zip y)) yield a + b + 5).headOption
because couldn't you do

code:
for ( a <- x
      b <- y
    ) yield a + b + 5
and get an option type back?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the thing i dislike about scala is the gratuitous use of symbols that do not form reasonable search queries which impedes language comprehension.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

FamDav posted:

yeah i saw your post in the scala thread but since i dont plan on compilin poo poo ill just ask here

why did you do

code:
   //for comprehension style

(for((a,b) <- (x zip y)) yield a + b + 5).headOption
because couldn't you do

code:
for ( a <- x
      b <- y
    ) yield a + b + 5
and get an option type back?

yep, i suck at for comprehensions.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
ok cool. i was worried that is was even worse than "they approached this from the wrong direction" and you had to convert o lists of things and convert back and it was hecka stupid

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Bloody posted:

the thing i dislike about scala is the gratuitous use of symbols that do not form reasonable search queries which impedes language comprehension.

same but for every language

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

VanillaKid posted:

i was really stoned when i learnt haskell

Prolog is a much better weedlang

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

scala is like java but better

it's java++

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
/*
An CDate is a signed 64-bit date/time num
representing how many 49710ths of a second
since Christ. The reason it is this crazy
num is so that 32bits is exactly one day.

These nums can be subtracted to get time
differences.

The time of day to the nearest 49710ths of a second
is stored in the lower 32-bits. The upper
32-bits hold the num of days since Christ.

PrintF() and the file datetimes use
this format, otherwise you might want to
use GetTimeStamp() for a higher frequency
timing, divide by time_stamp_freq,
but this num is tied to your CPU's
clock frequency which is inexact when
converted to real-time.
*/

CDate cdt=GetCurTimeDate;

I64 i;
for (i=0;i<DF_NUM;i++)
"%%h%dD: %h*D\n",i,i,cdt;
NewLine;

for (i=0;i<TF_NUM;i++)
"%%h%dT: %h*T\n",i,i,cdt;

"$FG,PURPLE$CDate freq:%12.6f$FG$\n",0x100000000/24.0/60.0/60.0;

/*
You can customize to your locality
with date_fmt_map[] and time_fmt_map[].
DateTimeFmtMapsRst() will rst
them.
*/

//Example of how to use with DF_NUM, TF_NUM #define's
"%h*D\n",DF_MM_DD_YYYY,cdt;
"%h*T\n",TF_HH24_MM,cdt;

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

scala is like java but better

it's java++

nah, scala sucks just like every other "functional" pos. only it sucks worse cause it only exists for people who don't want to use java cause their autistic. they also cant use maven for the same reason.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

nah, scala sucks just like every other "functional" pos. only it sucks worse cause it only exists for people who don't want to use java cause their autistic. they also cant use maven for the same reason.

if you had been a c programmer in 1980, i bet you would have murdered bjarne stroustrup

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I've never had to program in c and for that I feel blessed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

I've never had to program in c and for that I feel blessed.

could you do it in a pinch? i know you're all about java and c#, but what brought you to this point? what languages did you learn with?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

its cool imo how its impossible for this guy to get the help he needs because he lives in america

prefect posted:

if you had been a c programmer in 1980, i bet you would have murdered bjarne stroustrup

bjarne is the man who doesn't know how to say no, but it turns out Alexandrescu is even worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

could you do it in a pinch? i know you're all about java and c#, but what brought you to this point? what languages did you learn with?

pascal (lol) and c++ in high school and then java in college and then c# irl.

I've done minor stuff in plenty of other languages but it always comes back to java and c# just being the best.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

prefect posted:

when I was writing assembly i was like "lol c is piss easy poo poo for dumbasses"
then i switched to c and i was lke "lol c++ is a dumb loving mess of things that some dumb academic bolted onto c bc he prolly feels like its ~theoretical nicer~ this way, then i read stroustrup's faq about c++ and it was approaching all those things from a practical angle so i trhough well maybe ill try to use c++ right and see how it goes"
now i use c++ and im like "lol wasteful bytecode interpreted java/c# shaggar PoS" but its been like 10 years and my mind isnt remotely about to change this time until a better natively compiled language than c++ comes along

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i'm glad you take your positions very srsly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

Nah scala adds a ton of good OO features. It is a better java than java and you never gotta worry about fp obsessive poo poo if you don't want to

They explicitly told the fp spergs to gently caress off, which is where scalaz comes from -- a bunch of stuff rejected for inclusion in the std lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

as far as I've ever understood, the problem with scala is that it tries to jam every paradigm and feature into one language which subsequently leads to no real identity or niche and massive bloat, granted some people might like that though