Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I can't explain the maven hate. I use maven with scala because it is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

on a side note, docker seems really cool and useful and should be a good representative thing for golang

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
C++ code:
    rules.append({QRegExp{R"(\b[A-Za-z0-9_]+(?=\=))"}, attr});
with the power of c++11 my code is now more incomprehensible than perl :unsmigghh:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Posting Principle posted:

C++ code:
with the power of c++11 my code is now more incomprehensible than perl :unsmigghh:

you already crossed that line a long time ago with QT

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

C++ code:

nice javascript

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
more curly braces, curly braces in every line

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
goodbye type names, good bye most vexing parses

submit to the curly braces :q:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i read some scala code today that was pretty much java with type inference and automatic constructors.

pretty nice that we have the technology now to not have to type
SomeLongAssClassName<OhWowItsAGenericToo<FuckYouJava>>> g = new NowIHaveToTypeItAgain<ThankGodForAutoComplete<IWantToDie>>>(24, true, null, 213,);
all the time.

stay DRY, bicth.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you get mad about verbosity you're the biggest whiney babby idiot.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The fact that the language convention tends towards readability is one of its strengths. also the auto complete literally makes it faster than an untyped shortcut that the autocomplete cant figure out for you.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

c++ is ugly as hell

code:
inline void copy4(void *dest, const void *src)
{
    *static_cast<int*>(dest) = *static_cast<const int *>(src);
}
like who created the ability to do that, took a look at it and thought 'hmm seems reasonable'

c++ seems to keep layering poo poo on poo poo to make up for all its shortcomings

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
thats just c but with typecasts you can grep for though

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

C++ code:

Shoulda used emplace_back. In fact, why does that collection have a member called append? :colbert:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Probably doesn't even have a move constructor.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Zombywuf posted:

Shoulda used emplace_back. In fact, why does that collection have a member called append? :colbert:

Qt legacy containers :negative:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

If only concept maps, or whatever they were called, had made it in.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

suffix posted:

i read some scala code today that was pretty much java with type inference and automatic constructors.

pretty nice that we have the technology now to not have to type
SomeLongAssClassName<OhWowItsAGenericToo<FuckYouJava>>> g = new NowIHaveToTypeItAgain<ThankGodForAutoComplete<IWantToDie>>>(24, true, null, 213,);
all the time.

stay DRY, bicth.

doesn't java 7 let you go

SomeLongAssClassName<OhWowItsAGenericToo<FuckYouJava>>> g = new SomeLongAssClassName<>(24, true, null, 213);

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

If only concepts had made it in.

considering it took until the yool 2012 for lambdas to make it into these languages, i await 2030 when we finally get typeclasses.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

java doesn't have lambdas

:negative:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

more sluggish than the c++ standard committee, gently caress you oracle

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

worse than the people who delivered c++0x in 2011

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

java doesn't have lambdas

:negative:

any day now.....

until then use scala

(keep using scala after jdk 8 too)

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

yaoi prophet posted:

doesn't java 7 let you go

SomeLongAssClassName<OhWowItsAGenericToo<FuckYouJava>>> g = new SomeLongAssClassName<>(24, true, null, 213);

oh, yeah, you can do that now.

thanks, java!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if lambdas ever become useful im sure they'll be added to java

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

weve hit peak shaggar

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

if lambdas ever become useful im sure they'll be added to java

lambdas are in jdk8, mostly useful with collections

Scala does a way better job, but jdk8 makes things suck less

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

thats just c but with typecasts you can grep for though

its ugly as h*ck thats what it is

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

as far as I've ever understood, the problem with scala is that it tries to jam every paradigm and feature into one language which subsequently leads to no real identity or niche and massive bloat, granted some people might like that though

unixbeard posted:

c++ is ugly as hell

code:
inline void copy4(void *dest, const void *src)
{
    *static_cast<int*>(dest) = *static_cast<const int *>(src);
}
like who created the ability to do that, took a look at it and thought 'hmm seems reasonable'

c++ seems to keep layering poo poo on poo poo to make up for all its shortcomings

the best is that java looked at the c++ example and said "we should do that but without all the powerful parts because java programmers cannot be trusted"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Shoulda used emplace_back.

msvc only allows one argument to emplace_back

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i bought a SensorTag im going to build an app that tells me how far away i am from my coffee and also how hot it is

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the best is that java looked at the c++ example and said "we should do that but without all the powerful parts because java programmers cannot be trusted"

not sure what's wrong about realizing how terrible developers are at using programming languages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what are all the mythological "powerful" parts?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Shaggar posted:

being able to add more levels of indirection

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
or having generics without type-erasure maybe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vapid cutlery posted:

or having generics without type-erasure maybe

wait what

how are cpp generics not type erased, they are literally a source template

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wait what

how are cpp generics not type erased, they are literally a source template

because type erasure doesn't happen, the static type == the runtime type. thats the best answer i can give, but really your question indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of C++ templates, type erasure, Class objects, compilation, and linking

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Shaggar posted:

like you don't sit there with your c# and java sometimes and think to yourself "boy, i wish i had a turing complete metaprogramming language based on type parametrization right now."

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i wish c++ had sane and convenient features rather than a horrifyingly complicated and lovely compile-time environmemt for computation of types. it cripples development of things that mortals might use because a sperg in venezuela already bodged it up as a template library. instead of concepts we get template metaprograms that fail in curious ways, and by composing about 5 pounds of < and > worth of template metaprograms you can create a concept

in go its like INTERFACE METHOD METHOD DONE bam you made a concept. thats how it should work in c++ too

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
theres a distinction between what should be language level and what should be library level. c++ makes all the wrong choices.

also generics in java is basically a wrapper around void* containers that does some compile time checking to make sure you really didnt put the wrong kind of thing in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

how much confusion do you think would be avoided if c used different words for functions returning void and like void pointers