Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Edit: New page. Where do you get limes in Chengdu? Serious.

Monkey Fury posted:

I've been wanting to check out that Tibetan area around Wuhouci, so depending on what time this is going down, I should be game
Still working out times, sent you a PM about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Edit: New page. Where do you get limes in Chengdu? Serious.

Jeoh posted:

I saw limes at the Carrefour near Tongzilinbeilu or however you call it in your pinyin thingiemabob.

There's also a semi-decent TexMex place nearby. And a nice KTV!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ah, didn't see that. Tongzilin has all the nice stuff. You still in Chengdu?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've seen them in a few Ito Yokados. Treat in Raffles city has them as well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Ah, didn't see that. Tongzilin has all the nice stuff. You still in Chengdu?
Nah, back in Holland. Would've loved to stay for another month but alas, I must work.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

GuestBob posted:

Just FYI, there is inconsistent local enforcement of the two-year previous teaching experience requirement in certain areas (such as Henan) so mrgoodtrips may need to fiddle with the dates somewhat.

My recruitment cycle (public uni.) runs from March with a peak in application early April (for a September start) but language mills are always looking.

You need more advice, buy PMs.

I was a bit worried about that. I'm still trying to figure out the new visa regulations, too. But they only seem to apply to Beijing and Shanghai from what I gather.

Chengdu sounds like a great fit for me. I hear there's even a rockabilly scene. I'm spoiled by good music here in Austin but it sounds like Chengdu has a good variety.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll probably have more questions later on. Aiming for a March/April arrival, for now.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you are working properly for a real place, it isn't your job to figure out the visa requirements. If you are working illegally, then it is your job because they could not care less about you.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

mrgoodtrips posted:

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll probably have more questions later on. Aiming for a March/April arrival, for now.

Push that to an August arrival and you'll have more options (i.e. the public sector too). Spend six months volunteering to teach or tutor kids with additional language needs and you'll be in a better place experience wise as well.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

:siren: :siren: CHENGDU YAK CONSUMPTION MEET :siren: :siren:
I'll be down at WUHOUCI around 4 today. Then after some amount of time we can walk down the block into the Tibetan neighborhood and get YAK dinner (yak pie, yak ribs, yak dumplings, yak soup, yak etc). In between those two things we can awkwardly ruin people's photos at Jinli Street or shoot terrible crossbows or complain about the heat in a variety of locations. And if you feel the need to buy Tibetan religious whatnot, we can do that, too. The Tibetan neighborhood is like 97% religious shops, 2% restaurants, 1% hotels, and a pool hall.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Those crossbows are really poo poo, goddamn. Can't even raise them up to proper height.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hello, Bad China thread! Caberham mentioned that I should post in this thread because this coming week I'll be in Hong Kong making a visa run from Good China Taiwan. I'm looking for some stuff to do when I'm not doing battle with the bureaucrats at the visa office. I like historical stuff and museums and dorky stuff like that, but also I'd be down with grabbing a beer or two with some goons.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Tom Smykowski posted:

:siren: :siren: CHENGDU YAK CONSUMPTION MEET :siren: :siren:
I'll be down at WUHOUCI around 4 today. Then after some amount of time we can walk down the block into the Tibetan neighborhood and get YAK dinner (yak pie, yak ribs, yak dumplings, yak soup, yak etc). In between those two things we can awkwardly ruin people's photos at Jinli Street or shoot terrible crossbows or complain about the heat in a variety of locations. And if you feel the need to buy Tibetan religious whatnot, we can do that, too. The Tibetan neighborhood is like 97% religious shops, 2% restaurants, 1% hotels, and a pool hall.

Forget Yak Meat Tom! When is that Burger King opening on Chunxilu????

I lived on Wuhouci last year but I took a job in a small town this year so I can't just pop up to Chengdu :(

I was spending about 60 yuan a meal living on Wuhouci. Tibetan food is so much more satisfying than Chinese.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

It's open and Magna says 2 more are opening in the south. Because only the south gets nice things and they closed like all the goddamn 7-11s on the northside.

What small town?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So any pictures of the goon meet?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

It's open and Magna says 2 more are opening in the south. Because only the south gets nice things and they closed like all the goddamn 7-11s on the northside.

What small town?

Hey as of now they're all within first ring, hardly north or south!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

caberham posted:

We were too busy figuring out mystery flour/dough to take many pictures.

Magna Kaser posted:

Hey as of now they're all within first ring, hardly north or south!
Says you, southie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

I do have some. :effort:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be back in Shanghai Saturday night. Anyone want to have an impromptu goonmeet Sunday?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will give you a visit soooon!

Arglebargle III posted:

I do have some. :effort:

Don't be lazy :justpost:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Don't be lazy :justpost:

A goon; a pie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Clockwise from lower left: cabbage that was barely touched because we're goons, yak dumplings, yak steak platter, mystery powder. Mystery powder later became mystery dough.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:swoon: Man I you guys have take me to Tibetan food next time! When are you guys coming to HK again? I ran out of Yak jerky :qq:

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I've got a 14 hour layover in Beijing on Thursday night. Will hang around Gui jie then walk over towards Gulou. Might go to Great Leap if any goons want to come.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
What self-respecting Tibetan eatery serves Snow instead of Lhasa Beer?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

What I learned: Tibetan food in Chengdu is better than Tibetan food in Tibetan areas. It was really bland and boring out there, but p drat good here.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I pretty much agree with Peter Goullart about most things when it comes to China, and Tibetan food is no exception.
Time to post a quote!

'The yak steaks could not be tackled with knives — only with sharp axes; fried potatoes were raw, and the soup was plainly a dirty dish-water with something indescribable floating in it. In Gardar, in Sikang [Sichuan] Province, I had to exist for two months on a diet prepared by the Tibetan women of the Morowa tribe and, at the end, nearly gave up the ghost.'
(Forgotten Kingdom)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The yak was pretty goddamn tough its true.

Yak pot pie was excellent though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Another fun time in the office elevator. A little info about the elevator: you can only deselect floors if the elevator is stopped and the doors are open. As soon as it's moving, you're stuck with the selected floors until it stops again. So I got on at floor -1 and was going up to 6. Some woman got on at 1 and was going up to 8 and we're the only 2 people in the elevator. After the doors closed on 1 and it started moving up, she spent the entire shared elevator journey trying to deselect my floor 6, I guess so she could get to floor 8 faster? I knew I was safe though, since the elevator was already en route.

e: hmm, meant to post this in the other thread.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 20, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Any of you got any comment on flying Hong Kong airlines or Cathay Pacific? They good?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Any of you got any comment on flying Hong Kong airlines or Cathay Pacific? They good?

Cathay is 80 bazillion times better.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

Cathay is my favorite airline that flies out of HK for anything. But even setting that aside, I would not choose Hong Kong Airlines because they will literally cause you to explode and die.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm glad you brought that up, because it's literally one of my worst things to do!!

Thanks for the heads up. CP is like £40 more so I think I will take it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BadAstronaut posted:

I've flown Cathay many times and Hong Kong Airlines once. Unless Hong Kong Airlines is a lot cheaper and you're personally paying, go with Cathay.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm glad you brought that up, because it's literally one of my worst things to do!!

Thanks for the heads up. CP is like £40 more so I think I will take it.

485 Hong Kong dollars! That's the price of a juicy steak! I flew Hong Kong airlines and so did other Chengdu goons. Compared to Spring Airlines, the legroom is roomier. Every Tuesday they do some sort of flight specials.

Too bad about the service record :smith:

But yeah, Cathay is power house airline in this part of the world. It's on par with Japan Airlines, Singapore, Thai Airways.

Will you blow up in a ball of death if you fly Hong Kong Airlines? It's not safe, but not "my life is forfeit" dangerous.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You can ignore everything caberham just said and purchase the Cathay ticket. Don't even begin to have second thoughts and compromise comfort (and safety, I guess) on a long plane trip like this over £40.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I can however pay £40 more, fly Cathay, and reduce my travel time by about 2 hours. I'm all over that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Also Cathay is more comfortable and has better food

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Cathay is the best airline I've ever flown on.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Heheh, I think it's pretty clear what my choice is going to be :)

As for flying to Seoul, which flights/airlines have you guys tried for good prices? I can connect to Bali from a number of places (Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul etc) and I want to explore all my options.

Wish there was a direct flight from Shanghai. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I passed out in the middle of a 15 hour flight on Cathay once and all the attendants were nice and gave me a pillow and let me lie down on the floor for almost an hour. Also one time they lost my luggage, found it in Hong Kong a day later, and hired a driver who drove it cross border to my apartment and carried it up the stairs for me.