Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ApathyGifted posted:

Also, gently caress the previous owner for getting god drat Continentals. I've probably got more wear on the side walls than the actual tread because they just flex so drat much. Anyone know a good deal on the Goodyear Eagle F1 runflats that my car would have come out of the factory with? Not having a spare blows rear end when you don't have runflats.

Dont get the Goodyear F1's, they are not good tires in any way shape or form.

If want to splurge on really good tires then get the new Michelin PSS ZP runflats that are OEM on the C7. Everything points to them being amazing tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The vendor that I bought my flashpro from said that they were out a week after I ordered it (and was told it was in stock) so I cancelled that order and bought one from Science of Speed. It and an AEM UEGO wideband o2 sensor and gauge will be here mid-week. I got a box of OEM honda oil filters in the mail though!

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Went to the local BMW club's driving school (open to all makes and models).

Now I'm pricing out a wheel and tire setup for dedicated autocross use.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
PLM header and Invidia test pipe installed.

Did the oil change at the same time. Easiest oil change ever.

New header

Flogged the poo poo out of it to heat cycle all of it and it morphed into rice mode.

3" single straight off the header now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Paul Boz_ posted:

PLM header and Invidia test pipe installed.

Did the oil change at the same time. Easiest oil change ever.

New header

Flogged the poo poo out of it to heat cycle all of it and it morphed into rice mode.

3" single straight off the header now.

Lookin' good! Were you getting the Hondata reprogram too? Are you going to post more driving video soon? :v:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Lookin' good! Were you getting the Hondata reprogram too? Are you going to post more driving video soon? :v:

Yeah going to rip some gopro runs around sundown ;). I'm going to use the Hondata Toda header tune which lowers VTEC to 4200 and raises the redline to 8500. It's their reflash tune which they sell for non-flashpro compatible s2000's that comes preloaded as a preset tune on the flashpro. It should be in by mid-week and will only take a few minutes to configure so hopefully by end of the week I'll have a video or two of that. Going to go rip it now :coolfish:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
:black101: everything

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Paul Boz_ posted:

Yeah going to rip some gopro runs around sundown ;). I'm going to use the Hondata Toda header tune which lowers VTEC to 4200 and raises the redline to 8500. It's their reflash tune which they sell for non-flashpro compatible s2000's that comes preloaded as a preset tune on the flashpro. It should be in by mid-week and will only take a few minutes to configure so hopefully by end of the week I'll have a video or two of that. Going to go rip it now :coolfish:

When you turbo it, you're gonna have to make a thread about it! S2000s are no joke with the boost.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

These had been bugging me. Wetsanded 800/1000/2000 then plastx and protectant. Hopefully they won't cloud up again too quickly.

Forgot to take before/after pictures showing both sides, d'oh.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Re torqued the manifold I put on my jeep last weekend. I still have an exhaust leak somewhere that you can't hear at idle but can hear once you get on it. I'm sick of exhaust l leaks next time I put exhaust on something I'm putting flanges on everything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

fps_bill posted:

Re torqued the manifold I put on my jeep last weekend. I still have an exhaust leak somewhere that you can't hear at idle but can hear once you get on it. I'm sick of exhaust l leaks next time I put exhaust on something I'm putting v-band flanges on everything.

Fixed.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Put in a new battery, headunit, classy concealed bluetooth mic. Went for a drive and found my evil twin two blocks from my house:

It's a 2005 (1 of 1937), so not as rare as my 2006 (1 of 235), but I still didn't expect to see one in my podunk car-hating home town (it's visiting from North Dakota).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I got this one in my tyre once.

Turned out to be this once we pulled it out!

loving electricians screwdriver!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Broke it, again. Now that the alternator problems seem to be behind me, something else decided to make it's desire for attention known.

Sorry for the poo poo picture, it's the best I could get. Exhaust busted from the pipe down from the exhaust manifold to where it connected to the mid pipe and muffler. Gave no warning, just suddenly the tinkling of metal dragging on the concrete, and the BLAAAAAAAAAAAAABAABBABBABABABABABBABBBABABA from the unmuffled exhaust.

Since the direction of normal travel for this car is to the right in the above picture, continuing to drive along with this dragging seemed a recipe for something badwrong to happen. So I had to hang it back up. Thankfully the company uses these really nice heavy duty coat hangers. I cut one like so:

Then shoved one end of each loop in each section of the broken pipe. It's still loud, but at least I'm not dragging.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pivit posted:

These had been bugging me. Wetsanded 800/1000/2000 then plastx and protectant. Hopefully they won't cloud up again too quickly.

Forgot to take before/after pictures showing both sides, d'oh.

Finished lens looks good. I need to do this with my Mustang, they're starting to get a little old looking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

Finished lens looks good. I need to do this with my Mustang, they're starting to get a little old looking.

Unflavored toothpaste. $almostfree

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ripped out 100 lbs or so of stereo crap, because honestly, who needs a stereo when your car sounds like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nsn6IaZtc

3rd gear is still acting up though, going to have to bite the bullet and take it into the local Porsche guy, I don't mind wrenching but transmission issues are beyond what I want to take on....

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 19, 2013

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ripped out 100 lbs or so of stereo crap, because honestly, who needs a stereo when your car sounds like this?

3rd gear is still acting up though, going to have to bite the bullet and take it into the local Porsche guy, I don't mind wrenching but transmission issues are beyond what I want to take on....

That sounds incredible, is that a stock 928 exhaust?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Bought a cheap secondhand stereo for it. It may be missing the trim thing that goes around the edge possibly but I don't care. I think I had a stereo that used the same setup once and the trim kept falling off.

I've been tired and the weather has been mental so I haven't done anything. Can't do much anyway until I can find a replacement bottle for my propane torch or find a place that tests them so I can get it re-complianced. Nobody will fill a bottle that's 13 years out of date.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That sounds wicked awesome.

I did a 1-2 also today trying to get rid of the bog when the secondaries open then created some new problem and had to call it a day. It started acting like it was running too lean. The bog is almost gone though and the tires chirp when the secondaries open in first. Sucks about the audio though, the exhaust ends a little bit behind the cab and its loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdisgBpeIqo

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

Bought a cheap secondhand stereo for it. It may be missing the trim thing that goes around the edge possibly but I don't care. I think I had a stereo that used the same setup once and the trim kept falling off.

I've been tired and the weather has been mental so I haven't done anything. Can't do much anyway until I can find a replacement bottle for my propane torch or find a place that tests them so I can get it re-complianced. Nobody will fill a bottle that's 13 years out of date.

What kind of bottle?

If its a 4.5 or a 9kg, take it to a swap and go place and dump it on them. Last time I looked at it it was about $50 to do a compliance check on a 9kg bottle, and $34 to swap and go it. Then just take the swap and go back for refills

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Put together my wiring harness for the headlight relays. Should make the install a snap!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Dynamatted the cargo roof and installed black suede grab handles and cargo tiedowns

wood shift knob installed. Now to find the park brake handle.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Modus Man posted:

That sounds incredible, is that a stock 928 exhaust?

Not entirely.... it's a 1983 928S Euro version that has headwork, more aggressive cams, custom headers and a 4" exhaust leading into the tiniest muffler ever. Sounds much louder from the outside. :D

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

What kind of bottle?

If its a 4.5 or a 9kg, take it to a swap and go place and dump it on them. Last time I looked at it it was about $50 to do a compliance check on a 9kg bottle, and $34 to swap and go it. Then just take the swap and go back for refills

Nah I think it's a long thin 0.3somethingKg bottle built thick enough to survive the apocalypse. I took it in to be tested today in the next town. It should be okay. It'll only run me about $25 for the testing.
Once I get it back assuming it's all good I'll try to do a better job of fixing the radiator. I used up a fair bit of gas fixing the phone lines outside the back door previously. Why? Because gas irons don't have continuity with anything.

Now you mention it I do have a 9kg which is probably out of date too. The other 9kg is pretty new and I own it so those swap and go places can keep their tentacles off it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Now you mention it I do have a 9kg which is probably out of date too. The other 9kg is pretty new and I own it so those swap and go places can keep their tentacles off it.

Its impressive how much a 9KG swap and go cylinder looks like one you bought when you strip the stickers off it

Edit for content:

Nothing on my own car today, but my mates 80 series turbodiesel is back at my place for some more maintenance work- its got a few major things to do, and a few minor ones- but ive got a few weeks to get it done.

Major jobs:

Remove injector pump and send it away to be re-sealed. The seals have all failed from the Ultra Low suphur diesel and its pissing more fuel out the side of the pump than out of the injectors.

Order and fit a set of Reco injectors

Pull the turbo and check it out to try and find the source of the engine oil consumption issue- pretty sure its the turbo seals by the massive amount of oil in the intake manifold.

Smaller jobs:

Fix the drat oil pressure gauge. It was working, then it shat itself- went to max, then died. Pretty sure its the sender as the gauge moves when you earth it out like the factory service manual says it should

Remove the door trims and lubricate all the window mechanisms and tracks to try and make the drat things go up and down faster than "Glacial"

Replace some of the rubber bushings underneath it that the diesel leaks eaten.

Worked on the pressure gauge issue today. Gonna see what a new Aftermarket senders worth and drop that in first

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 20, 2013

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Found the likely cause of a P0171 code that popped up recently:

Running pressure is supposed to be closer to 375kPa/55psi. I'm hoping it's the fuel pressure regulator and not the pump.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zundfolge posted:

Found the likely cause of a P0171 code that popped up recently:

Running pressure is supposed to be closer to 375kPa/55psi. I'm hoping it's the fuel pressure regulator and not the pump.

Try the filter before that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Swapped in something clean. comfortable, and stylish in place of the stock square rubber thing on the shifter on my '95 Cherokee:

Grainy due to dark. If I used the flash it completely blew out the knob.

Can't drive it at the moment, though. Waiting on the clutch kit I ordered. Release bearing is more of a release slider/screeching noise maker than a bearing just right now. First major work on the new-to-me Jeep. Only took 4 months. Yay! (It's OK, it only cost me $600, and is very good conditions otherwise.)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Insured her! :eng101: After 3 weeks of being a bus wanker i finally have my car back. Then put £40-worth of diesel in her and am now broke. :eng99:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Hung an air freshener in it. Does that count? It's Armor-all tropical vanilla. Vanilla with coconut. Beats the exploded wet dog scent whenever it rains. I really need to fix the hatch weatherstrip. But it keeps raining and I'm not a fan of welding outside in the rain.

Not done yet but hopefully my little Primus gas cylinder passed inspection so I can refill it and do a better repair on the Niva's radiator.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Swapped in something clean. comfortable, and stylish in place of the stock square rubber thing on the shifter on my '95 Cherokee:

Grainy due to dark. If I used the flash it completely blew out the knob.

Can't drive it at the moment, though. Waiting on the clutch kit I ordered. Release bearing is more of a release slider/screeching noise maker than a bearing just right now. First major work on the new-to-me Jeep. Only took 4 months. Yay! (It's OK, it only cost me $600, and is very good conditions otherwise.)

I hate you so much. I want a 5 speed xj so bad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I took off the turbo to get to the leaking oil return. I'm going to clamp it on like a motherfucker this time and replace the gasket to be safe.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Started doing light teardown on the new-to-me motor for the Protege. Already see some stuff that'll have to be swapped. Such weird stuff too, like a rubber coolant elbow that on the Mazdaspeed has a small third nipple sticking out of it. I am gonna have to swap the upper oil pan, since the oil return line bolts onto it and there isn't a port on the new motor. I could swear I've seen it present on N/A motors, just blocked off, but eh, whatever.

Clutch assembly is toast, motor clearly sat exposed for a while and the flywheel and all is rusty as poo poo and can't be machined. Which is fine, I bought a new flywheel anyway and I can just reuse my old clutch and pressure plate. I did find while removing the pressure plate that the motor turns freely, which is definitely a good sign. Almost too smooth, actually; I'll be doing a compression test before I fire it up.

Anyway, tomorrow's shopping list: Front & rear main seals, cam seals, water pump & timing belt (motor is out of the car and has 91k miles, it's a perfect opportunity.)

In Blazer news, I bought about $90 worth of tools so I can disassemble the steering column one of these days, to tighten the loose mounting bolts and reconnect the linkage for my high beam switch (the switch still works if I tilt the wheel all the way down and back, just the lever isn't connected to it.) It's an all day job because 80s-90s GM. :allears:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Just arrived today:

Since I don't have to make car payments anymore, I figured I'd spend just about as much on something that'll be much more valuable in the long run. :shepspends:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I seem to have hit a snag already, can't get the drat crankshaft bolt off with my hand tools. Looks like I'm begging my coworkers to borrow a compressor next couple days. :argh: Can't just leave it for after it's in the car because the pulley is rusted to poo poo, so I need to swap over my clean one in addition to the timing belt job and front main.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fucknag posted:

I seem to have hit a snag already, can't get the drat crankshaft bolt off with my hand tools. Looks like I'm begging my coworkers to borrow a compressor next couple days. :argh: Can't just leave it for after it's in the car because the pulley is rusted to poo poo, so I need to swap over my clean one in addition to the timing belt job and front main.

What direction does your motor spin? This trick doesn't work for Hondas (except the S2000), because they spin the wrong way. But if you can get a socket on the nut and a ratchet connected to it down to the ground, bumping the starter can give the torque necessary to loosen a stuck crankshaft bolt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's the junkyard motor I just got. Nothing hooked up since it's currently hanging from the hoist, and I couldn't use that anyway since the starter bolts to the bellhousing and the transmission is separated; need to do the rear main and put the flywheel/clutch back together before I can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dropped the Redline off at the dealership to have the power steering and steering intermediate shaft replaced under recall, which means I get to DD the '37 Ford while the weather is still nice :).

blk posted:

Put in a new battery, headunit, classy concealed bluetooth mic. Went for a drive and found my evil twin two blocks from my house:

It's a 2005 (1 of 1937), so not as rare as my 2006 (1 of 235), but I still didn't expect to see one in my podunk car-hating home town (it's visiting from North Dakota).
Nice! I'm really hoping to find one of these in a year or two.