Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Bongo Bill posted:

Oedipal themes are all over Homestuck, because the surviving Oedipus stories liberally stole from the best parts of each other and from a related cycle of myths and legends, and because Homestuck liberally steals from that milieu and many stories that were inspired by it.

If it were just a straight-up retelling of Oedipus, then pretty soon we could expect John's dad and Jane's dad to kill each other.

Yes, there are so many references in Homestuck, that it is hard to see which ones are a) central to the plot/themes, b) thrown in as jokes or c) made up in the mind of people with too much time on their hands.

That Hussie is actually thinking "Let's insert some of Nietzche's theory on the meaning of Oedipus into the comic here" is a bit far-fetched (although still possible). But that the sphinx is meant to at least nod towards Oedipus is pretty probable given the amount of mythological reference that he has put into the comic so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

glowing-fish posted:

That Hussie is actually thinking "Let's insert some of Nietzche's theory on the meaning of Oedipus into the comic here" is a bit far-fetched (although still possible).

v:v:v

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

quote:

Roxy posted:

TG: she will bring sburb to its knees
TG: and then turn
TG: with her shitwreckingest face
TG: and stare
TG: into the void
TG: and the void
TG: will wonk first
TG: ;3

The thing about that Nietzsche reference is that it is a reference to one of his better known quotes, something that its hard not to know. It isn't a sign that Andrew Hussie is a devotee of Nietzsche's.

Given how much time and effort the Homestuck fandom has put into Homestuck, there seems to be very little information on what Hussie's philosophical leanings are. I don't know what his academic background is. The amount of references and plot structure put into Homestuck seems to suggest that he is very well read, but I don't know if his knowledge is as deep as it is broad. Its pretty easy to assume he is a post-modernist/existentialist, but just from what we read in Homestuck, he could be an earnest devotee of a mystical school. :iiam:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

glowing-fish posted:

The thing about that Nietzsche reference is that it is a reference to one of his better known quotes, something that its hard not to know. It isn't a sign that Andrew Hussie is a devotee of Nietzsche's.

Given how much time and effort the Homestuck fandom has put into Homestuck, there seems to be very little information on what Hussie's philosophical leanings are. I don't know what his academic background is. The amount of references and plot structure put into Homestuck seems to suggest that he is very well read, but I don't know if his knowledge is as deep as it is broad. Its pretty easy to assume he is a post-modernist/existentialist, but just from what we read in Homestuck, he could be an earnest devotee of a mystical school. :iiam:

I'm pretty sure the dude worships horses as a belief system. :v:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude worships horses as a belief system. :v:

Deep down inside, we all do

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

glowing-fish posted:

I dunno, he seems to know more about Gnosticism than the average chap, but then again, you could learn names and meanings of gnostic and demiurgy deities, demi-deities and pan-deities after an evening over a good encyclopedia or website. It is fair to say he has a fair bit of convolution in his nature though. I'm still interested in seeing that leprechaun bullshit, just because I think it could really test the limits of his loquacity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

If it were just a straight-up retelling of Oedipus, then pretty soon we could expect John's dad and Jane's dad to kill each other.

Well, the former is already dead, and the latter is currently in jail. Also I think it'll turn out they were the same person all along, he'll escape jail by going into a portal to B1 Earth. Nanna will legally adopt him to have an heir, and then he'll adopt baby John.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Which will end up being his advice, as opposed to focusing and trying super hard like Roxy's been doing.

Clearly falling rear end-backwards into god tier is the way to go.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Oxxidation posted:

I am genuinely pissed off that this makes sense.

I am genuinely pissed off that this wasn't written by Koos.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

David Copperfield posted:

I am genuinely pissed off that this wasn't written by Koos.

Koos speaks through us all. In our hearts.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Since Koos keeps getting banned, I can't exactly find out how long they've been posting these insane/quasi-insightful posts about Homestuck. When did they start posting/start getting banned?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
This has nothing to do with the update, but I just reread this page and I really sincerely hope we get more dad dialog someday. :allears: Also some more Serious Business.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Koos Group started posting about Homestuck here.

He was banned for being bad at fyad, insisting minecraft was a game about autism, and threating supermechagodzilla.

He was let back in a few weeks ago and is now an IK of fyad as of yesterday.

Nate RFB posted:

The past year or so it has felt like Hussie has distanced himself from the other "teams" that used to be involved. For the art team it was after Cascade, and for the music team it was around when solo album month got started. I don't know if this was planned or just kind of how things developed, but it just feel like most other people involved outside of Hussie have moved on. They pumped out a crazy amount of music for 3 years so it's kind of understandable that at some point it would slow down. I hope that there was no internal discord, at least.

Another thing is that a lot of the releases and albums had themes to go along with new developments. Volume 8 for Cascade, Volume 9 for the B2 kids, Cherubs/Trolls/Exiles getting their own releases, etc. But nothing really "new" has been introduced that I think the team could latch onto as a theme without just retreating older ideas.

The music team has really made less music in recent months because there really isn't much left for them to do. There's no real need to keep writing homestuck music when there really isn't going to be any more chances to use it in the comic. There's enough of a backlog for hussie to make hundreds of flashes with the music that is already released, or in the planning stages. Volume 10's in the works, but that won't be released until the end of act 6 or later. There's always a large amout of fan music still being made, even from goons! (I believe LOFAM 3, the next unoffical fanmusic compliation, is being worked on as well, but i don't know a lot about that.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Given how much time and effort the Homestuck fandom has put into Homestuck, there seems to be very little information on what Hussie's philosophical leanings are.

From what I remember of his Formspring stuff, he's an atheist with a computer science degree. He just seems to enjoy looking up spiritual fluff.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm pretty sure this is the one of the best updates we've had in a while. I could read Roxy and John dialogue all day. :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Update!

And wow, uh, looks like people speculating on John and Roxy hitting it off might be right?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

JOHN: blah blah blah blah blah blah
ROXY: :allears:

ME: :syoon:

Seriously, this is a great update. Roxy crushing on John is the new Best Thing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Roxy posted:

mental note: mack on

At the risk of being unoriginal, Roxy is the best character.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

WhiffleballDude posted:

At the risk of being unoriginal, Roxy is the best character.

Not only is she an able architect, she's the return of the mack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So You Married Your Best Friend's Momdoppleganger by John Egbert.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I am legit enraged that this has been blah'd out. John narrating his bullshit would probably be fairly amusing :argh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

quote:

JOHN: blah blah blah TURNED BLURRY blah blah blah blah CLOWNS ON TOP OF THE WHITE HOUSE blah blah blah blah VAMPIRE HISSED AT ME blah blah blah blah LITERALLY INSIDE CON AIR blah blah blah GLITCHY BULLSHIT blah blah blah MET MYSELF blah blah blah blah FINALLY FOUND YOU HIDING IN THIS LITTLE GREEN PYRAMID! WHEW!

Holy poo poo.

This update is great, but that line is going to be very important later. We haven't seen everything he describes here, have we? Like - was he retroactively there for the showdown between Dirk's bro and the presidents?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Holy poo poo.

This update is great, but that line is going to be very important later. We haven't seen everything he describes here, have we? Like - was he retroactively there for the showdown between Dirk's bro and the presidents?

Yes, he was. We saw this during his original "flash across all of continuity" escapade when he stuck his hand in the dealywotsit.

And the VAMPIRE HISSED AT ME was when he saw the Dolarosa carrying Baby Sufferer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Holy poo poo.

There's only one way to find out. To the archives!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bongo Bill posted:

Holy poo poo.

Starting here is the "CLOWNS ON TOP OF THE WHITE HOUSE" and "VAMPIRE HISSED AT ME", but not necessarily in that order.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ah, I forgot all the things he flashed through. Nevermind, then! This is just the most condensed recap yet, then.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Man.

You could say that John is...

Long-winded.

:rimshot:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I want Dave to recap his adventures to Dirk, it would be like 2 lines of glory

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

Man.

You could say that John is...

Long-winded.

:rimshot:

He is a bit of a gasbag.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SynthOrange posted:

He is a bit of a gasbag.

He's a real blowhard.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Cabbit posted:

He's a real blowhard.

He's pretty full of hot air, wouldn't you say?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
LET ME
TELL YOU
ABOUT HOMESTUCK

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man Hussie got really tired of writing those long recaps huh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Prison Warden posted:

Obviously John will end up hooking up with Roxy. I want this to happen mostly because Dave's reaction would be priceless.

Oct 25, 2012 11:16 AM

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

lotus circle posted:

Man Hussie got really tired of writing those long recaps huh.

I'm impressed that he managed to sum up all of Homestuck in just two pages.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
John used the term "unstuck in canon" while going on his rant. I guess he's starting to grasp that's what it is at this point.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I need to see Rose and Dave reacting to possible John/Roxy.

That is the most important part about this development.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dolash posted:

Update!

And wow, uh, looks like people speculating on John and Roxy hitting it off might be right?

I said this to my friend as a joke just before going to the page with Roxy's John-scan. I didn't expect to be proven right, let alone so quickly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm really not that interested in shipping. Can we go back to the glitches and intrigue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

While I care nothing at all for shipping either, there's some part of me deep down that is OK with this particular case. As long as it doesn't drag on for too long. oh god I've jinxed it :ohdear: