Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Endless Mike posted:

The iPhone 4 is absolutely getting iOS 7 officially unless something changes. It almost certainly won't be getting anything after that.

God, its going to run like a bag of poo poo. Unless its just the graphical change with NO new features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

God, its going to run like a bag of poo poo. Unless its just the graphical change with NO new features.
It won't have many of the new features, really, but that's par for the course on new iOS versions on older hardware. The people in the beta thread have noted that they've already turned off true transparencies on 4/4Ses.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I am looking to get a new phone in a month or two. I really like the Galaxy S 4. I also like that I can get it for $160 or so from Costco. But I saw that some new Droids just came out. I know that newer doesn't always mean better, but I like that the new Droids come with grippy backing, so a case isn't necessarily needed. I'm not looking to spend more than $200. Would I be better off getting the S 4?

You'd probably be better off with the S4 unless you're going with the Maxx, but that's probably going to be $300 and also always out of stock on Costco's home delivery system.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I don't need the latest and greatest phone. I just like the S 4, and I recently got a Samsung laptop, and I am pretty impressed with it. So I will most likely be getting that. Thanks!

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I'm very undecided on what phone to go with right now, and could use opinions. Right now I am still on a Droid Bionic and am due for an upgrade. The phones I am considering are the new Droid Maxx, Droid Ultra, or as a sort of oddball, the HTC One. I've been a big droid fan since the first one, and have liked my bionic a lot, so I'm tempted to stick with them. I love the concept of the battery in the Maxx, and am not really clear on what the difference between it and the Ultra is, except the battery. Also, the one has caught my eye, due to all the good reviews I've read about it, it's construction, etc. My main worry with it is that I have never had a single HTC product before, so I am totally unfamiliar with how they tend to change the stock Android interface around, and battery life of the phone, at least compared to the two Droids I'm looking at.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

bam thwok posted:

I know this question has been asked and kinda answered in a billion different ways, but I still don't quite think I get it. What do I need to do get a new phone onto my unlimited plan without losing that plan?

plus other words

Okay, so I've just become eligible for an upgrade on my line, an want to keep the unlimited data plan. There are two other lines on our plan, both smartphones, neither of which is currently eligible for an upgrade. Right now we are all on a Nationwide Talk and Text plan, and the other two smartphones each have 2GB per month in data.

To be 1,000,000% clear on how to make this happen, below is the plan. Will this work? Can I do this online or must it be done at a retailer?

Line 1 will be my line, with unlimited
Line 2 will be another line on our plan
Phone A will be my current smartphone
Phone B will be the new smartphone I want
Phone C will be the smartphone currently on a different line

1) Transfer upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2
2) Use upgrade on Line 2 to purchase Phone C
3) Discard Phone A
4) Activate Phone B on Line 2
5) Activate Phone C on Line 2
6) Activate Phone B on Line 1

Can the upgrade transfer and upgrade use be done online, or must it be done in store in order to avoid jeopardizing the unlimited plan? If it must be in store, should it be an official or authorized retailer? Where are the "oops" moments here?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

As long as you don't use the upgrade to activate a new phone on line 1 there are no oops moments. Once the upgrade is done then you can put whatever phones wherever you like.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

themachine posted:

I'm very undecided on what phone to go with right now, and could use opinions. Right now I am still on a Droid Bionic and am due for an upgrade. The phones I am considering are the new Droid Maxx, Droid Ultra, or as a sort of oddball, the HTC One. I've been a big droid fan since the first one, and have liked my bionic a lot, so I'm tempted to stick with them. I love the concept of the battery in the Maxx, and am not really clear on what the difference between it and the Ultra is, except the battery. Also, the one has caught my eye, due to all the good reviews I've read about it, it's construction, etc. My main worry with it is that I have never had a single HTC product before, so I am totally unfamiliar with how they tend to change the stock Android interface around, and battery life of the phone, at least compared to the two Droids I'm looking at.

Droid MAXX and ultra are the same phone. For $100 more on the MAXX you get a much bigger battery and 32gb instead of 16gb. I'm going to get the One when it launches on Thursday and I'll post impressions of it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

FordPRefectLL posted:

As long as you don't use the upgrade to activate a new phone on line 1 there are no oops moments. Once the upgrade is done then you can put whatever phones wherever you like.

What's this mumbo-jumbo I've read about needing to use an "Alternate Upgrade"

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The Droid Maxx also has wireless charging if that matters to you. Neither the Droid Ultra nor the HTC One have wireless charging. I agree it's "amusing" the Ultra has it when both the Maxx and the Mini have it. The Maxx is a tad thicker and a different finish to the back of the phone than the Ultra. You probably will want to hold both phones to compare.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I've been leaning towards the Droid MAXX the most already, just because of the battery. I've seen how good the battery is on a Droid RAZR HD MAXX and would love to have that kind of battery life. The cordless charging thing I really don't care about. I already have corded chargers basically every I go and in every vehicle I own, so it's not much of a selling point to me. I guess I am just intrigued by the One. I've had Motorola phones for years, and sometimes feel like I might be missing out on something or just want to try something new. I guess in the end I will have to play with them in a store and see how they are in person.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I'm on a family plan where the primary line gets an employer discount. Last time I bought a phone (December 2011), I also got a discount on the phone and accessories. I have a two-part question:

1) Does the employer discount program still work in such a way that people other than the primary line holder get discounts?

2) If so, does the discount apply if I buy a phone from Verizon off-contract?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

I'm on a family plan where the primary line gets an employer discount. Last time I bought a phone (December 2011), I also got a discount on the phone and accessories. I have a two-part question:

1) Does the employer discount program still work in such a way that people other than the primary line holder get discounts?

2) If so, does the discount apply if I buy a phone from Verizon off-contract?

This post a few pages back outlined the decision tree for how most corporate discounts apply.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

That's an awesome post and thanks for bringing it to my attention! What I now realize that I didn't make clear in my initial post is that I'm asking specifically about the discount on equipment purchases rather than plan rates. Will I still get the discount on the $700 full retail Maxx that I got on the subsidized $250 Galaxy Nexus two years ago?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there seriously no notification light on the Maxx? Ughhhh

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

doctor thodt posted:

Is there seriously no notification light on the Maxx? Ughhhh

The notification light was ditched due to the Active Display Notifications where it draws simple white items on the display to give you more detail of notifications while using not much more power than a notification light.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Penguissimo posted:

That's an awesome post and thanks for bringing it to my attention! What I now realize that I didn't make clear in my initial post is that I'm asking specifically about the discount on equipment purchases rather than plan rates. Will I still get the discount on the $700 full retail Maxx that I got on the subsidized $250 Galaxy Nexus two years ago?

More than likely No. Unless its a very big company, like thousands and thousands of corporate lines with Verizon that has one of the older discounts that Verizon still honors, then you won't get a bigger discount on the phone itself.

You'll probably still get a discount on some accessories though. But yeah you're more than likely gonna be paying the standard upgrade pricing on the phone. If you're buying it at full retail then it's gonna be full retail.

Coco Rodreguiz fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 21, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

More than likely No. Unless its a very big company, like thousands and thousands of corporate lines with Verizon that has one of the older discounts that Verizon still honors, then you won't get a bigger discount on the phone itself.

You'll probably still get a discount on some accessories though. But yeah you're more than likely gonna be paying the standard upgrade pricing on the phone. If you're buying it at full retail then it's gonna be full retail.

I was afraid of that. It's a small local company so I'd be shocked if they had negotiated anything better than the norm. Thanks for the info though!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yay for positive experience time!

My brother in law is exceedingly hard on phones. A phone typically lasts him about 10 months before it's trashed beyond usefulness.

Last year, he had an upgrade, but this year he's mid cycle.

No biggie, sister in law had her old env3 ( which had no data at all when on her line) and gave it to him.

Online activation failed, wanted to force the line onto a data plan. gently caress that right in the goat rear end.

Tried *228 activation, just outright failed.

Called in and finally managed to get it going, but the rep had to add it with the data plan, then take the data off and add a block.

So positive in that we got it set up right, but the average consumer would probably pretty easily get suckered into a minimum $10/month to use a glorified dumbphone because they don't know well enough to call and be firm.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
The HTC One looks to be available on Verizon officially now.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/htc-one

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Falco posted:

The HTC One looks to be available on Verizon officially now.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/htc-one

Yep.

S4, go screw. After 5 minutes with this thing I already like it waaaaay better.

Time will tell. You have about a week to redeem yourself to me after the Thunderbolt HTC, otherwise its a new Motorola for me.

EDIT: HTC has a pretty awesome transfer app in the play store. You install it on your old device and it moves Contacts, Pics/Vids, Music, Bookmarks and wallpaper over wifi. A lot of this I have synced elsewhere, but still pretty cool. Don't know why something like this isn't built into Android.

First Annoyance...No Photosphere. Boo.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 22, 2013

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Mighty Horse posted:

Yep.

S4, go screw. After 5 minutes with this thing I already like it waaaaay better.

Time will tell. You have about a week to redeem yourself to me after the Thunderbolt HTC, otherwise its a new Motorola for me.

EDIT: HTC has a pretty awesome transfer app in the play store. You install it on your old device and it moves Contacts, Pics/Vids, Music, Bookmarks and wallpaper over wifi. A lot of this I have synced elsewhere, but still pretty cool. Don't know why something like this isn't built into Android.

How possible is it to get an HTC One to look like stock Android? I know I can use Nova Launcher to get a near-stock homescreen, but what about the lockscreen, app drawer, and Settings? And what are the prospects of the One getting an update given that this is Verizon we're talking about?

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade my phone and I'm getting so impatient :ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Karthe posted:

How possible is it to get an HTC One to look like stock Android? I know I can use Nova Launcher to get a near-stock homescreen, but what about the lockscreen, app drawer, and Settings? And what are the prospects of the One getting an update given that this is Verizon we're talking about?

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade my phone and I'm getting so impatient :ohdear:

I dont know if its been done on the verizon one yet, but i think any of the other HTC ones can be fully converted to a google edition.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, if you want stock as possible android, you are going to have to wait until someone figures out how to port the verizon stuff into the google edition rom.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Mighty Horse posted:

Yep.

The new Motorolas have the same thing, it's called Motorola Migrate. Pretty neat little feature!

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I'm trying to upgrade my rezound to a one on the vzw website. I have an unlimited data plan now and I'm fine with dropping to 2GB it seems to be forcing me into a share everything plan. I'm on my family's plan. I thought we could keep our plan but just drop to 2gb data?

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

I'm thinking about upgrading to an HTC One but this will end my unlimited plan. I don't think I've ever used more than 4gb, so its not that big of a deal. Are unlimited plans able to be transferred via assumption of liability?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rockker posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading to an HTC One but this will end my unlimited plan. I don't think I've ever used more than 4gb, so its not that big of a deal. Are unlimited plans able to be transferred via assumption of liability?

Yes. If you dont care about your phone number you can sell them for $200-$300.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I'm due for an upgrade at any point now moving from an Incredible 2. Of course anything new will be a huge leap in terms of upgrades, but there is a good handful of phones out now that are going to make the decision tough.

The camera is going to be one of the most important factors for me with a 2 month old at home now, which may limit the choices a bit.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

metachronos posted:

I'm trying to upgrade my rezound to a one on the vzw website. I have an unlimited data plan now and I'm fine with dropping to 2GB it seems to be forcing me into a share everything plan. I'm on my family's plan. I thought we could keep our plan but just drop to 2gb data?

You may need to go into the store if there isn't any kind of "keep existing plan" button.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Falco posted:

The camera is going to be one of the most important factors for me with a 2 month old at home now, which may limit the choices a bit.

10 month old at home here. I got a s4 and my wife an iphone 5. In my opinion: the iphone still wins the "quick get the camera out and take a picture of baby" war.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hdip posted:

10 month old at home here. I got a s4 and my wife an iphone 5. In my opinion: the iphone still wins the "quick get the camera out and take a picture of baby" war.

Yeah, I can get to the camera real quick with my Note 2, but it chugs with actually opening it next to my sister's iPhone 5 (and the Note's about on part with my old iPhone 4, but that thing was pretty slow anyway.)

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Hdip posted:

As much as I love Android and all of the customization, I think I will end up switching to the iPhone 5s. I'm realizing I'm doing less tweaking as my free time drops and it just isn't as important to me. Plus Apple really has you when it comes to interfacing cleaning with their other products.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is hotspot working out of the box on VZW iPhones? That's something I found myself using moderately frequently with my phone and if it ends up working I'll probably flop back to iOS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have a Share Everything plan, it works out of the box. If you have a Nationwide plan, you have to pay extra.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'll wager I probably shouldn't let Verizon know I'm tethering on a Nationwide plan, then. Custom ROM and all, which is why I can without having to pay extra.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Mighty Horse posted:

You may need to go into the store if there isn't any kind of "keep existing plan" button.

I just called the store and they're back ordered and won't have any in for "like a week". drat.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I just did my tags and we have the One on Verizon for $150 with accessories at Costco for anyone interested.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

So far so good on the battery...Not Razr Maxx levels, but better than the S4 was giving me.

Going biking after work today in a few spotty areas will see if it handles them any better or worse than the S4.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I just did my tags and we have the One on Verizon for $150 with accessories at Costco for anyone interested.

Still giving out those $.25 cellophane bagged chinese car chargers/battery cookers?

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon is launching a dataplan deal trying to entice unlimited customers away, but you have to sign up for Verizon Edge which makes it not much of a deal at all.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...t-verizon-edge/

• Locked thread