Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

So, having just got BOF 3 on PSP thought it might be cool to revisit the earlier titles because RPGs.
Yeah, maybe play the GBA version or something. Did that one have a different translation from the original SNES version? Because the SNES one is basically undecipherable to the point where they outright switched "Yes" and "No" in a number of cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry, my post was meant to convey that it was so long ago that I can not remember if the GBA games' translations were good or bad... hopefully someone more familiar with the series can chime in?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ah, okay. To answer your original question, long story short and without personal anecdotes: that hack is the definitive version of BoF2 and if you're gonna play it, you should go with that one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Similarly for Dragon Quest V - is the best version to play still the English translation on the DS, or would I have a better time with the SNES translation by Dejap Translations?

I've only played the DS version, but my understanding is that there are a lot of changes that make it a significant upgrade over the SNES version.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, absolutely go with the DS version on that one. No contest. I remember the Dejap one being very... well, I recall a lot of the dialogue being undercut by things like two kids swearing at one another, and random lines where I was confused as to what was happening.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, absolutely go with the DS version on that one. No contest. I remember the Dejap one being very... well, I recall a lot of the dialogue being undercut by things like two kids swearing at one another, and random lines where I was confused as to what was happening.

That sounds like a dejap translation alright, man I miss those early fantranlations days

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Similarly for Dragon Quest V - is the best version to play still the English translation on the DS, or would I have a better time with the SNES translation by Dejap Translations?

You should play the DS version. A 4 PC party instead of 3 is a huge quality of life boost, and the party chats are great. The names and accents they came up with are too goofy for my tastes, but it's not a deal breaker at all.

Some guy did an LP of the SNES version and it was pretty good I think you could go read that.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Done, decision made. DQV on DS it is. Thanks all.

Christ I have so many RPGs to get through now. And I've only just started VP: Lenneth. :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

Christ I have so many RPGs to get through now. And I've only just started VP: Lenneth. :ohdear:

I'm working my way through two Tales games (The Abyss on 3DS and Xillia), Valkyrie Profile 2, and the Legendary Edition of Skyrim :shepicide:. Probably should look at getting a copy of Mario and Luigi: Dream Team as well, just because I know that game's gonna become rare as hell if I don't snap up a copy (JRPG's always do in PAL territories).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

That sounds like a dejap translation alright, man I miss those early fantranlations days

"Arche fucks like a tiger!"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, maybe play the GBA version or something. Did that one have a different translation from the original SNES version? Because the SNES one is basically undecipherable to the point where they outright switched "Yes" and "No" in a number of cases.

I hear they fixed one or two things, but it's really the same translation.

The Ryusui translation is an incredible piece of work, good enough that I think Capcom should be paying her for making their game worthwhile.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like the original translation of BoF2 in that barely understanding what is going on in the world around you while circusmasters turn into giant demons felt rather Kafka-esque. It's also loving terrible and you shouldn't play it unless you are the world's biggest breath of fire two fan (that's me. it's not you).

Go play the Ryusui retranslation.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Srice posted:

"Arche fucks like a tiger!"

I had to download a freakin 15 mgs patch for that rom, almost as big as the rom itself!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I looked that line up and stumbled onto fantranslation.txt. It's kind of hilarious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm working my way through two Tales games (The Abyss on 3DS and Xillia), Valkyrie Profile 2, and the Legendary Edition of Skyrim :shepicide:. Probably should look at getting a copy of Mario and Luigi: Dream Team as well, just because I know that game's gonna become rare as hell if I don't snap up a copy (JRPG's always do in PAL territories).

It is and will always be available digitally, so there's no danger of you not being able to play it. Of course, if you want a physical copy nothing's changed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

I looked that line up and stumbled onto fantranslation.txt. It's kind of hilarious.

There are some amazing arguments made in that thread.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There are some amazing arguments made in that thread.

Amazing as in :stare: amazing, sure!

a terrible poster from that thread posted:

you think that japanese are the perfect human beings, even thought they have the smallest dicks of all the different human races, and that's a FACT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Amazing as in :stare: amazing, sure!

That is exactly what I meant. It just keeps getting worse as it goes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm pretty disappointed that thread lasted only one page. It really looked like it was going places.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone tried out Knights of Pen and Paper yet? Saw someone talking about it elsewhere online, and it looks/sounds cool- is it worth the $10 price tag?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Has anyone tried out Knights of Pen and Paper yet? Saw someone talking about it elsewhere online, and it looks/sounds cool- is it worth the $10 price tag?

Hah, not at all. Admittedly I played it when it first came out, but it was tedious, very poorly translated, and wasn't really worth the ~$3 I spent on it. I've been meaning to go back to it, as I guess the +1 edition fixed a ton of stuff. Also, it's still only $3 on Google Play, haven't checked iOS-- I'd look into what's different about the Steam version before shelling out an extra $7.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is exactly what I meant. It just keeps getting worse as it goes.
That thread's amazing in that it managed to make me hate both sides of the argument, even the one I, in theory, agreed with.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

About to install Temple of Elemental Evil and see that there are two versions of the Circle of Eight modpack... v7.9 standard and 7.9 NC. Do I want the New Content version, or not, if I have never played through the full game before? I've put maybe 2-3 hours into this game about five years ago, before hitting a game breaking bug that prevented me from progressing, so I gave up on it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

This has been my phone-commute game on and off for about 6 months, but as mentioned, if the steam version doesn't add a whole lot it would probably be best left at that level.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I recently bought the Witcher bundle on GOG because what the hell, less than 5€ for two huge games, but I've since been reminded why I just really didn't much like Witcher 1 at all and never made it past the second act. The gameplay is just interminably dull and glacial and the character development options are so limited it might not even call itself an RPG at all. I know it's got a supposedly really good plot, but what good does that do me if I can't get there for boredom? Not a recommended purchase.

I haven't played Assassin of Kings enough yet to have much of an opinion, but I hope it's better.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 24, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I recently bought the Witcher bundle on GOG because what the hell, less than 5€ for two huge games, but I've since been reminded why I just really didn't much like Witcher 1 at all and never made it past the second act. The gameplay is just interminably dull and glacial and the character development options are so limited it might not even call itself an RPG at all. I know it's got a supposedly really good plot, but what good does that do me if I can't get there for boredom? Not a recommended purchase.

I haven't played Assassin of Kings enough yet to have much of an opinion, but I hope it's better.
The Witcher 2 is basically a completely different game, outside of dialog. Just jump in. It doesn't concern itself too much with the events of the first game that isn't explained to you well enough, so just get at it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kiggles posted:

The Witcher 2 is basically a completely different game, outside of dialog. Just jump in. It doesn't concern itself too much with the events of the first game that isn't explained to you well enough, so just get at it.

There's some references and items and stuff that transfer over from Witcher 1 if you import your save but it's not a ton. I haven't gotten to the 3rd act yet in Witcher 2 (old save) and I'm about to restart anyways so I'm not sure if there's more crossover later on in the game. I also highly doubt that Witcher 3 will reference anything from Witcher 1 savegame-wise so yeah, you're not missing much (other than a shitload of plot) if you jump into Witcher 2. Witcher 1 is still an excellent game and worth playing but if you're not digging it, you're not digging it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think The Witcher 1 doesn't really get great until act 3, although the overarching quest line in Act 2 is very cool.

Dec 26, 2012

Pretty much. It helps to know what you're looking for and where in the act 2 swamp so you minimize your time spent there because otherwise you might be there awhile and it's deadly boring.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm currently finding that modding the hell out of the game also helps a bit. Faster movement, free stats and all the books and glossary entries for free makes actually getting anywhere much less of a grind.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If I've got the option to play both, is it better to play Final Fantasy VII on PC (the version on Steam) or to play the Playstation original via an emulator? ie, is there any advantage to one over the other, beyond the obvious simplicity of just installing the Steam version?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

If I've got the option to play both, is it better to play Final Fantasy VII on PC (the version on Steam) or to play the Playstation original via an emulator? ie, is there any advantage to one over the other, beyond the obvious simplicity of just installing the Steam version?

PC version has mods

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK cool - any of them I should use?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Awful mods. Emulating the PSX version gives you save states, which are probably more useful (and definitely more convenient than having to search for save points.)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Been playing through Suikoden IV for the first time. I've gotten a lot of warnings about how it's the black sheep of the series, etc etc, but aside from the encounter rate in spots and the pretty boring sailing, I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

(In case this is a "oh just wait until later" thing, for reference, I just recruited Ted)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Even if you think it's okay now, you'll hate it by the end of the game. It's very much a case of just you wait. It's such an oddity in the Suiko series that I suspect it started as a different game completely. I've beat 1, 2, most of 3, and 5. I couldn't handle 4.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Awful mods. Emulating the PSX version gives you save states, which are probably more useful (and definitely more convenient than having to search for save points.)

Plus frame skip! Which is such a godsend when playing older jrpgs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Million Ghosts posted:

Even if you think it's okay now, you'll hate it by the end of the game. It's very much a case of just you wait. It's such an oddity in the Suiko series that I suspect it started as a different game completely. I've beat 1, 2, most of 3, and 5. I couldn't handle 4.

Not really. If he doesn't mind it by the time he has Ted, the rest of the game is just more of the same. If you like/tolerate that, nothing is going to change.

v It's a very late-game event. Like, late enough that if you know it has yet to happen, you get worried you ran into something preventing the event from triggering and that you'll get to the point of no return.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 29, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I actually have no idea when that happens anymore. My main memory is the game becoming tedious and extremely boring later and I couldn't be bothered to slog it out. If it's not making you want to rip your eyes out and you're a good way in, you might be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Srice posted:

Plus frame skip! Which is such a godsend when playing older jrpgs.

Why - what would I use this for in FF7? Which bits would I want to speed up?

On a separate note, anyone played Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch and got anything to report? It's going for only £19.97 on Play and even though I'd just be adding to my backlog :rolleyes: it looks like such a beautiful RPG that I might just buy this one. It looks like it has a bit of a Dragon Quest VIII vibe to it... is this the case?