Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
1022 is up.

Behold in all his crazy eyes glory, God of Time Manabu Itagaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I honestly still want him to lose. Course, we all know that's probably never gonna happen unless Ippo matches against him himself probably.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I hope he uses his time powers to fast-forward to Ippo's fight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I hope Ippo wins this one by decision by the way because his record is getting a little outrageous. Takamura's is too but it's easier to accept with him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda legit wondering if Ippo might lose. Normally that means the writing has gotten good since doubting the protagonist in a shonen manga is retarded, but Morikawa needs to be able to drag Ippo's career out even more if he wants to fit Takamura getting 3 more belts in.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I searched the latest raws to see the outcome of this fight and it's good, the first fight in some time that kept me interested.

About this fight, don't click this is a spoiler about who wins the fight, I'm really happy Itagaki lost, it was really satisfying watching Imai beating him. Maybe this way Itagaki will learn that if you use speed-hacks you are going to get banned sooner or later :v:. Of course this means Ippo is going to win without a doubt.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Estel posted:

I searched the latest raws to see the outcome of this fight and it's good, the first fight in some time that kept me interested.

About this fight, don't click this is a spoiler about who wins the fight, I'm really happy Itagaki lost, it was really satisfying watching Imai beating him. Maybe this way Itagaki will learn that if you use speed-hacks you are going to get banned sooner or later :v:. Of course this means Ippo is going to win without a doubt.

I did this too and I legitimately smiled

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's kind of annoying the translator ditched the group that was originally doing Ippo because they were much faster about getting releases out.

Regarding above spoilers: Basically barring his embarrassing first loss due to being a wuss about pro-boxing tactics, his career trajectory is the same as Ippo's. Unless they use this as a setup for him quitting the gym/boxing or whatever I imagine he'll have a "learn how to not be sad about losing" comeback match, then dust Imai on the second challenge.

Edit: Also, new chapter! (nothing happens)

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 22, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
RAW SPOILERS For the End of the Fight

But seriously why does Itagaki almost never use his speed/fight like he should, He's not a stand your ground fighter. He should be running circles around that guy instead of standing in a corner trying to go punch for punch with him

Estel
May 4, 2010
Imai trained exclusively for that, keeping Itagaki on the corner and winning by sheer force of will and strength while Itagaki is overconfident on his speed-hacks. In this combat the protagonist is Imai not Itagaki. This combat is basically Imai = Ippo, Itagaki = chump beaten by Ippo.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Dexo posted:

RAW SPOILERS For the End of the Fight

But seriously why does Itagaki almost never use his speed/fight like he should, He's not a stand your ground fighter. He should be running circles around that guy instead of standing in a corner trying to go punch for punch with him

So Itagaki's the one in the corner? I'm guessing based on description and not on having seen it, but I guess Imai could have pushed him in there to help neutralize his speed. I have no idea how Imai could position Itagaki somewhere he didn't want to be considering Itagaki's power to just loving vanish, but based on his "You're the one going to hospital" line, it's clear he cares more about crushing Imai than winning the fight, so he's might be laying into him instead of going for points like what would make more sense for him. It's his way of showing the gap is too great for Imai to overcome or something.

That, or Imai has overwhelmed him with a combination of strategy and being an iron wall such that he can't get into his speed groove, and this will be the story's way of teaching Itagaki that relying on his natural talent isnt taking boxing seriously enough. But, again, I'm just guessing.

As for Ippo's match, I could get behind him losing if he loses by decision. It's a good way for him to lose while still remaining a credible threat to Ricardo, and then the new guy can still get to fight him. It's been a while since we last saw him fight, so reestablishing his skill against a guy who can beat Ippo could be worthwhile. The only real danger of that, other than its predictability, is repeating what we already went through with Date.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 22, 2013

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

It's kind of annoying the translator ditched the group that was originally doing Ippo because they were much faster about getting releases out.

Editor's real life started catching up with him (in a brutal fashion, quite frankly) and MS is generally pretty speedy so... there you go! Collaboration.

This fight was probably the most entertaining fight in Ippo for a while to me. Please look forward to it :japan:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Maaaaaaan, all that black text. I want all the chapters now. You guys are making me ravenous.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Fabricated posted:

Kinda legit wondering if Ippo might lose. Normally that means the writing has gotten good since doubting the protagonist in a shonen manga is retarded, but Morikawa needs to be able to drag Ippo's career out even more if he wants to fit Takamura getting 3 more belts in.

I binged on the issues and yeah it does seem like it's setting up an "Ippo doesn't have the drive to win." loss.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

I binged on the issues and yeah it does seem like it's setting up an "Ippo doesn't have the drive to win." loss.

I figured it was more "he's getting back to his roots so he can ascend higher" kind of thing, especially when they mentioned that his reliance on the Dempsey Roll changed the way he fought

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm going to echo the people who are happy that Itagaki apparently loses. Being a little cocky is fine, but he's been pretty obnoxious about it.. Also, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Ippo loses this, though it's also possible that he'll come to some realization in the middle of the fight and make a turn-around because of it. Regardless, he'll definitely be losing for a while until he overcomes his lack of motivation, since they've been hinting at it being an issue a whole bunch the last few chapters.

Have they mentioned whether folks like Sendo are also going to be fighting for world titles? As potentially interesting as Sendo v. Itagaki would be, it makes more sense for him to follow in Ippo's footsteps.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
http://www.mangapanda.com/115/hajime-no-ippo.html

That was ridiculously satisfying.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Well, that's one way to do it.

I was kind of expecting more, but with how much they built up Itagaki, it's hard to have a proper match.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
Thank Christ.

Here's hoping that he gets permanently cut out of the story. I've hated him since Itagaki was introduced. He doesn't even seem to fit into the story to me.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

That's about right.

Imai's strategy he developed for this fight is there to contrast Itagaki's "I'm the invincible speed god, old lovely rival!" attitude. Itagaki's arrogance will probably carry him a little longer, but his legs are effectively dead because Imai taking speed from him to leave him with nothing is probably the point, and I don't remember the last time he took a hit like that. He will probably eventually come away from this understanding that he has to develop his talent instead of just relying on it or something.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Had to catch up on those raws after all those spoilers. And what can I say This was sooooo needed, Itagaki 'time' power bullshit was almost Woli level garbage, and to see an 'Ippo' like fighter just bury him was loving awesome. Also nice to see a shorter fight because I imagine Ippo's one will be anything but.
Also for once it's quite hard to predict how Ippo's fight will go, the way they're setting it up seems to be saying that he probably isn't quite ready at the moment, but a loss here could extend the manga by a few more years. Wishful thinking on my part doesn't want that to happen.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, talking about the raws the panel right before he gets knocked the gently caress out makes his entire character to date worth it. Just that last moment when his spirit is totally broken and then he gets dropped. He lost because he was a self-involved prick, and if he had been on his guard from moment one he never would have gotten stuck in the corner. But he was, and he got his legs taken away instantly. And that was the fight. He tries to go on like his best shots mean anything to a tank like Imai, but they don't, so Imai just charges in and takes them and then beats him unconscious in one round. I'm pretty sure he's not going to die, but other than that it's my dream for what I wanted to happen to him.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
"Overconfidence Kills" indeed.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Oh look it's what I've always wanted to see Ippo do to Miyata. :negative:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I think I'm the only person who likes Itagaki. Cocky goofballs are fun to watch.

Losing by dint of not fighting like/being the protagonist is pretty funny though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like Itagaki because I like fast characters in fighting games. :v:

It strikes me as all just part of following in Ippo's footsteps. His first and only loss was fighting for the Japanese title for the first time. Now Itagaki need never lose again.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 24, 2013

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Except of course this isn't Itagaki's only loss. He lost his pro debut fight. He now joins the ranks of Aoki and Kimura as 'dudes who can't get a handle on that losing thing'. He shames Takamura, boxing Jesus.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Odds on Takamaru revealing his real first name is Kami while they have him on as a guest commentator?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Boogaleeboo posted:

Except of course this isn't Itagaki's only loss. He lost his pro debut fight. He now joins the ranks of Aoki and Kimura as 'dudes who can't get a handle on that losing thing'. He shames Takamura, boxing Jesus.

Not to mention this is against is own personal Miyata, except coming into this fight Itakgai was already on the losing side of this equation since he lost twice to Imai before going pro and beating him at rookie kings.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Beautiful :golfclap: That came out of left field.. and was absolutely glorious. Never thought it'd be so satisfying to see that smug face shut down.

Man I think this must have been planned for a long time, which makes it pretty impressive. Back after the Saeki fight everyone in here was commenting about how much they hated Itagaki. That match basically made him into the villain.

What a humiliating way to go out. Trapped in a corner and KO'ed in a second because you were smug enough not to take the fight seriously and let the opponent rush in on you. He doesn't even realise the mistake until it's too late - "i'm already focused", yeah, except 3 seconds too late because you were too busy thinking about how cool you are.

MadRhetoric posted:

Losing by dint of not fighting like/being the protagonist is pretty funny though.
Well to be honest Itagaki has a pretty lovely 'build', all speed and nothing else. Guys like Ippo have a hundred tools to combat any given situation, but if Itagaki's speed can't help him, then he's got nothing. This is a pretty hard lesson he's about to learn.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
"What am I looking at? The mat? Why?" that's where you belong son.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I think Ippo will win his fight, the only reason I thought he wouldn't would be because they need the time for Takamura to win a few more belts, but they can use Itagaki to fill up some time getting the title back, and have Ippo have a few more in between this fight and Martinez.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
Something just occurred to me about the last few chapters: Doesn't this mirror the "Fight of the Century" between Ali and Frazier? The cocky boxer-type and the infighter? Ali lost due to underestimating Joe. The manner that he lost was even similar. Ali couldn't sway back fast enough to avoid Joe's left hooks because his legs were gone. He even did the Ali shuffle at the beginning (Yes, the ALI shuffle. gently caress Morikawa for calling it the itagaki shuffle)

Here's to hoping that the ultimate outcome isn't the same as in real life because I'm kind of tired of him.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

New chapter out.

So loving cocky. Raw Spoilers: So loving glad Morikawa is aware enough that Itagaki is a massive douche that he'd let him get wrecked like that

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
I've hated Itagaki ever since his appearance.
He's been presented as the epitome of the arrogant sports jock right from the start :argh:.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man I'm re-reading some of the early stuff, and just got to the first match between Ippo and Sendo.

This series was so good in the beginning. Here's hoping that recent string of good chapters and the Vorg fight foreshadow it turning great again.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Another new chapter. Liking the rate these things are coming out. For once in a long time we'll actually be all caught up.

Chapter 1026: I love these even more with the translations. Itagaki is still being an arrogant jerkoff and Imai is serving it to him. Actually restores my faith in Morikawa. All we need now is a non lovely Ippo fight and I'll be pretty excited about the manga's future.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What a great chapter.

That loving spoiled smug brat needs to be knock down a peg. So far two good matches, I might get interested in Ippo more if this keeps up.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

every time Itagaki gets hit with a big punch I have the biggest smile on my face, because gently caress him and his stupid bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

I have to give it to Mori for making Kyosuke look scary intense when he inner monologues about what he's doing and is going to do to Itagaki. There's something I really like about his cold stare and bloodied mouth while he goes "Weeaaaak," to say nothing of his reflection in Itagaki's eye. I think it might be because he's gotten in good, but he's looks like he's also enjoying how thoroughly he's breaking him. His giant rear end eyebrows help.