Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
buh buh buh bird bird bird, bird is the turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bird poop for next page

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/5836/AIM-248.pdf

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

oh also 0mq doesn't expose timers and doesn't let you have fds which is a minor pita

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
C++ code:
typedef QColor QColour;

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yo what is the name of the dogge book again

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

FamDav posted:

yo what is the name of the dogge book again

do you mean the practice of programming?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the only thing anyone ever does in lisp anymore is make metacircular interpreters to run lisp programs in their lisp program.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MSPain posted:

the only thing anyone ever does in lisp anymore is make metacircular interpreters to run lisp programs in their lisp program.

Which is far more fun in Prolog.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

really?

i have written some pretty complex clojure programs with quite a bit of java interop and not really had too many issues. in fact I've done clojure/groovy interop, and that poo poo was kind of a horrorshow but it still worked and the "interop" part wasn't really the issue.

where did you run into this? i macro-generate clojure "javabeans" and register them into a spring di app context and don't even really need to muck around with gen-class or reify (proxy and protocols for sure but i've never had to touch reify)

so here's the key thing: proxies and protocols are a big pain in the rear end. you have to write code to bridge incompatible metaphors and ugh

and for calling the other way, like you said yourself you use macros to generate getters and setters. that's pretty hairy on its own. especially if everyone reinvents the same macro.

here are the steps to scala<=>java interop:
  1. write code
  2. re-use code elsewhere

it's not just easy it's completely loving effortless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heres a better procedure:
1) just use java instead of useless hacks on top of java.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

can't blame a shaggar for shaggaring

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

heres a better procedure:
1) just use java instead of useless hacks on top of java.

if java moved with the times then we would do this
but it doesn't

the .net guys get helpful new features like, every year

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there aren't any new features that java really needs aisde from upgrades to the standard lib (ex: replace Calendar w/ .net's DateTime).

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Scala never met a feature it didn't like. Also compiling Scala takes forever. Also Java 8 will have option types and lambdas, the 2 best features of Scala.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
also java 8 apps will probably keep the permgen smaller than the working set

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
its cool how a medium sized scala app can generate more classes than are in the entire jre

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
scala is still rad though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Scala never met a feature it didn't like. Also compiling Scala takes forever. Also Java 8 will have option types and lambdas, the 2 best features of Scala.

they are getting a new compiler in scala 2.11 that is really drat fast, better at optimizing, and fixes some issues scala had. For example, the initialization order problem is done away with by this compiler from what I hear.

initialization order problem:
code:
abstract class A {
  val x1: String
  val x2: String = "mom"

println("A: " + x1 + ", " + x2)
}
class B extends A {
  val x1: String = "hello"

println("B: " + x1 + ", " + x2)
}
class C extends B {
  override val x2: String = "dad"

println("C: " + x1 + ", " + x2)
}
// scala> new C 
// A: null, null
// B: hello, null
// C: hello, dad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nomnom Cookie posted:

do you think java would be adding those things if scala weren't as popular as it is? maybe java advances are being pushed forward by the competition?

(i'm not closely in tune with the java community, so i could be completely wrong; this is just a theory)

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

What do option types even buy you in a language with null pointers?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
more obfuscation for more job security

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Vanadium posted:

the same thing as lambdas

MeruFM posted:

more obfuscation for more job security

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Vanadium posted:

not as much as they should, but if you use them where you would normally use null it greatly decreases the risk of encountering null pointer errors.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Posting Principle posted:

its cool how a medium sized scala app can generate more classes than are in the entire jre

not really scala's fault. jvm sucks hard at closures, they all have to be their own classes.

Java 8 lambdas are "solving" this problem by using all that invokedynamic stuff they added for dynamic languages to turn a static method into a class at runtime instead of having to emit a .class at compile time.

I really don't know how they decided that was a good solution.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

crazypenguin posted:

Java... I really don't know how they decided that was a good solution.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

crazypenguin posted:

not really scala's fault. jvm sucks hard at closures, they all have to be their own classes.

Java 8 lambdas are "solving" this problem by using all that invokedynamic stuff they added for dynamic languages to turn a static method into a class at runtime instead of having to emit a .class at compile time.

because theres no reason to waste time devising a better solution for adding useless cruft to the jvm to support dumb crap like closures

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vanadium posted:

if the compiler warned you when you just assumed an object wasn't null without proving it first (i.e. by manually checking) then you wouldn't need Option.

can you have nonnullable objects? seems pretty pointless if anything you know isn't Nothing or whatever it is in java could just be null after all

e: what i'm trying to say is that option is essentially a not terrible version of null

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 22, 2013

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

crazypenguin posted:

doing it like that means the generated classes can't be aliased in client code. maybe they foresee the other compiler to be able to optimize things better, if not now then in the future

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

AlsoD posted:

if the compiler warned you when you just assumed an object wasn't null without proving it first (i.e. by manually checking) then you wouldn't need Option.

can you have nonnullable objects? seems pretty pointless if anything you know isn't Nothing or whatever it is in java could just be null after all
This exists. you tag things with @NonNull/@Nullable annotations and the ide uses that to figure out what can and can't be null

i'm using it in eclipse and it does make the language a bit less painful. but none of the libraries you'll want to use have nullability annotations, so it;s not exactly great yet

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Soricidus posted:

This exists. you tag things with @NonNull/@Nullable annotations and the ide uses that to figure out what can and can't be null

i'm using it in eclipse and it does make the language a bit less painful. but none of the libraries you'll want to use have nullability annotations, so it;s not exactly great yet

yo, check dis:

The Checker Framework distribution contains annotations for popular libraries, such as the JDK6 and JDK7. It uses both of the above mechanisms. The Nullness, Javari, IGJ, and Interning Checkers use the annotated JDKs (Section 21.3), and all other checkers use stub files (Section 21.2).

I haven't actually tried compiling against their JDK.jar in lieu of normal JRE jars, but theoretically it should work

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prefect posted:

do you think java would be adding those things if scala weren't as popular as it is? maybe java advances are being pushed forward by the competition?

(i'm not closely in tune with the java community, so i could be completely wrong; this is just a theory)

scala tries lots of things and java looks at that and steals the good things

Vanadium posted:

weeelll i assume java 8 options ensure that Some is non-null. what you get is basically the Maybe monad, which is a good monad (IO is a bad monad). it makes some kinds of code clearer to operate on a Maybe than to have several if statements or whatnot

AlsoD posted:

e: what i'm trying to say is that option is essentially a not terrible version of null

null is terrible and lovely and the compiler nagging you to deal with the shittiness doesn't fix things

lol yeah lemme just compile my code against some janky 3rd party stdlib and debug the problems it causes in qa

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lol yeah lemme just compile my code against some janky 3rd party stdlib and debug the problems it causes in qa

:ughh:

you would be compiling against that augmented JDK, but it doesn't include the bytecode that implements the standard library so you wouldn't be able to run your code with it, you'd be by necessity testing and deploing against your regular JDK

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Max Facetime posted:

:ughh:

you would be compiling against that augmented JDK, but it doesn't include the bytecode that implements the standard library so you wouldn't be able to run your code with it, you'd be by necessity testing and deploing against your regular JDK

i don't care how you describe it, monkey-patching the std library is a sign you done hosed up

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
i'm not a java programmer but i'm pretty sure yall are missing the point. you build against an annotated jdk just for the purposes of confirming your code conforms to whatever those annotations check. you don't do anything with that annotated jdk past test compiling. your output is byte for byte identical.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

spongeh posted:

i'm not a java programmer but i'm pretty sure yall are missing the point. you build against an annotated jdk just for the purposes of confirming your code conforms to whatever those annotations check. you don't do anything with that annotated jdk past test compiling. your output is byte for byte identical.

oh so you confirmed that the output is identical in all cases. thanks for doing the legwork

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

oh so you confirmed that the output is identical in all cases. thanks for doing the legwork

just compile and run your unit tests like before with the regular JDK, what more needs to be confirmed?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

no, what hes sayin is you use the special jdk in eclipse and during an initial compile to find any places where you have accidental nulls. then once it passes all that, you do the release compilation w/ the normal jdk.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

somewhat related to optional type checking. But Java's stuff is so weak as a type system you need an additional one on top :v:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

no, what hes sayin is you use the special jdk in eclipse and during an initial compile to find any places where you have accidental nulls. then once it passes all that, you do the release compilation w/ the normal jdk.

if someone else is using it, ok...im not gonna be the one to set it up in maven tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if someone else is using it, ok...im not gonna be the one to set it up in maven tho

lol it'd be cake to set up in gradle