Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Every time I see that picture I can't help but wonder just what percentage of a flock of geese it could ingest with that loving thing before Bad Things started happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thwomp posted:

Imagine what the disaster would look like had we gotten the X-32 instead.

It's Jabberjaw!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

Almost all of it, IMO. The F-35A is not a disaster, nor is the C.

The -C is the one that can't land on a carrier because the arresting hook is so close to the main gear that the cable doesn't have time to spring back up to be caught by the hook.

That's a pretty big loving disaster; Lockheed's promised a fix but since's it's a LO airframe you can't just hack something together quick and cheap. And the helmet display doesn't work on any of them, none of them can dump fuel without risking an airframe fire, and they have have signature and performance problems.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LP97S posted:

From what I've read, I'm no expert, the AF was trying to replace A-10's with special F-16's (which couldn't handle a 30mm cannon) and later with just strike variants of the F-16 before trying to replace everything with the F-35. Also, the Air Force was so pervasive in their hatred of the A-10 they actually did almost get the Army to take them instead. I can't find the link now but there was a move in the 80's to revise the Key West Agreement and have the A-10 included as an Army air asset like the AH-64. Then Desert Storm happened and the plan was scrapped because the Air Force needed the A-10 for certain niches.

LP97S posted:

Please? If I'm wrong I like to learn, I don't want to end up as some of the other people here.
Well, ever since Mommy and Daddy split up in 1947...
The Air Force and Army have always had two very different ideas about how air forces should support ground forces.

The Army thinks that the Air Force should be an independent service only so long as they do exactly what the Army says every single time. They want Air Force jets stacked in 1000 ft intervals above the battlefield, holding until the Army decides to call them in, staying until the Army is done with them, and then loving off back to base. The Air Force, on the other hand, thinks that CAS means annihilating the enemies' fielded forces from the sky before they get on the same map as friendly lines, leaving only shell-shocked survivors to surrender to the Army. (This is technically called Interdiction, a separate function from CAS :eng101:)

Despite this difference of opinion, no one who matters has ever seriously considered scrapping the Key West agreement. The Army imagines having a Marines-like independent air capacity when they touch themselves at night, and accuses the Air Force is insufficiently focused on CAS, since the Air Force keeps wasting money on things that aren't ISR, CAS platforms or troop transports, but literally no one outside of hardcore Army partisans thinks it's a good idea. Every few years someone floats a "give the Army CAS/fold the AF back into the Army" article, and during the middle of the decade some people were actually listening, which is why the Army was able to ponder buying its own tactical airlift before the idea was quashed and currently operates its own totally-not-a-predator-UAV fleet. Air Force doesn't "hate" CAS, it simply has to balance it among many other mission sets, and having a platform that can only do one really specific mission has become less and less reasonable as time goes on.

During Vietnam, the Air Force used legacy skyraiders and fast jets for CAS, and later on acquired A-7s for the role. Post-Vietnam, the Air Force initiated the A-X requirement, theoretically looking for a purpose built CAS platform which would keep the Army happy. This resulted in the A-10, but looking at its systems and the tactics developed for it, it's clear it was built towards not just CAS but also interdicting Soviet armor in Europe. The thing is, the A-10 has always had some pretty severe limitations. It's slow, under-powered compared to other aircraft, has a low service ceiling, and its adverse weather capability prior to the -C upgrades was extremely limited. The Air Force has been looking for something "better" for a while, but the realities of money, technology and procurement mean that we've never got around to replacing them. This leads nicely to:

The A-16 and subsequent comedy attempts to up-gun the F-16 were more like proof of concept trials (with a healthy dose of Congressional interference) than a serious attempt to replace the A-10. The Air Force abandoned the idea because the brass sobered up and realized that gun strafing wasn't going to be a big thing in future CAS missions. Sensor pods, rapidly improving PGMs and other maturing technologies meant that fast platforms were a viable alternative to low, slow platforms. Starting with the Block 40 upgrades, F-16s began incorporating systems like moving maps, NVG compatibility, EO/IR sensor & designation capability, and new stuff like ROVER and JDAM. On the other side of the coin, we just upgraded most of our A-10s to integrate JDAM, which should tell you what the military thinks of its future use in low level VFR bombing/strafing passes.

The dirty secret is, the plane that will replace the A-10 is already in the inventory. When you want a long loiter time, low altitude platform capable of performing strikes in close proximity to ground forces, these days that road leads to UAVs, and the MQ-9. We're not trying to do CAS and interdiction/strike in the same way we did in the 70s. UAVs can operate in the long loiter, semi-permissive role, while pod equipped fighters and bombers can provide nearly the same capabilities in contested environments with a lot less vulnerability.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 22, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked the goofy grin of the X-32, and the design with the Pelikan tail looked pretty nifty.

It got hosed by the VTOL requirement, man!

I liked the look of the YF-23 more than the YF-22 so I have a history of backing the losing bid.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I liked the goofy grin of the X-32, and the design with the Pelikan tail looked pretty nifty.

It got hosed by the VTOL requirement, man!

I liked the look of the YF-23 more than the YF-22 so I have a history of backing the losing bid.

The X-32 looks like a top half of an F-35 with an open mouth/throat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah they remind me of F-8/A-7s, which I think are super cool.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Outside Dawg posted:

Actually it was more of a reference to the fact that the Air Force absolutely sucks at CAS, they should stick to dogfights and carpet bombing.

:colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Two aircraft that take an eternity to get anywhere and require an extremely permissive environment. Hooray!

You should've posted a TACP and a Bone.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I recall reading that the AC-130 can only do sorties at night because it is too vulnerable to MANPADS otherwise.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Phanatic posted:

The -C is the one that can't land on a carrier because the arresting hook is so close to the main gear that the cable doesn't have time to spring back up to be caught by the hook.

That's a pretty big loving disaster; Lockheed's promised a fix but since's it's a LO airframe you can't just hack something together quick and cheap. And the helmet display doesn't work on any of them, none of them can dump fuel without risking an airframe fire, and they have have signature and performance problems.

Carrier landing is a system; spring rate and cable tension on carrier arrester gear today were tuned for aircraft that were retired decades ago. Between slight redesign of the hook (which they should have done in the first place, dunno why they didn't- the hook they grabbed off the shelf for those tests was visibly at the wrong angle) and retuning the arrester cable for contemporary aircraft, it really is a non issue that is relatively easy to fix.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

grover posted:

Carrier landing is a system; spring rate and cable tension on carrier arrester gear today were tuned for aircraft that were retired decades ago. Between slight redesign of the hook (which they should have done in the first place, dunno why they didn't- the hook they grabbed off the shelf for those tests was visibly at the wrong angle) and retuning the arrester cable for contemporary aircraft, it really is a non issue that is relatively easy to fix.

Ok, is it fixed yet? I actually don't know. The most I can find just googling for a minute is a promise that a fix was on the way four months ago.

I ask because the issue was reported publicly over 18 months ago.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Is blowing up when lightning hits it relatively easy to fix too?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Forums Terrorist posted:

Look, we can't expect it to be immune to midair collisions.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Forums Terrorist posted:

I guess the coating of gasoline jelly for extra speed was probably a bad idea...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

mlmp08 posted:

Ok, is it fixed yet? I actually don't know. The most I can find just googling for a minute is a promise that a fix was on the way four months ago.

I ask because the issue was reported publicly over 18 months ago.
Yeah, was fixed a couple months later, but of course didn't get any press. People just love to hate on the F-35.

http://whythef35.blogspot.com/2012/06/does-f-35c-have-tailhook-problem.html?m=1

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
People do like to hate on the F-35. See all the erroneous stuff about "OMG IT JUST NOW SHOT A MISSILE??"

On the other hand, when someone says "It's fixed" but the plane hasn't yet even landed on a ground based arresting system, I am dubious.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

david_a posted:

I don't know how "multi" multirole has to be or what exactly qualifies as a "huge" success, but how did the Viggen fare?

In general, were the Swedish jet developments less insane than the US ones? There was a lot less money to throw around so it seems plausible that they had to be a bit more focused, although I don't know any of the gory details behind Tunnan/Lansen/Draken/Viggen/Gripen... What about all the other Euro fights?

The Viggen wasn't a multirole plane, really. There was a strike version (AJ 37) and a fighter version (JA 37) with ten years in between them; the former could carry Sidewinders and the latter could carry unguided 135mm rockets, and that was about as multi-role as it ever got. They shared a very similar (but not identical) airframe, but the avionics and radar were completely different (the AJ had analog avionics and an analog onboard computer until the 90's, while the JA entered service in 1979 with completely digital avionics and was thus much easier to upgrade). It's sorta like the F-15A -> F-15E development but in reverse.

Now, the Gripen was intended to merge the capabilities of those two into a single aircraft that could do the AJ's job (firing anti-ship missiles and dropping the occasional bomb), the JA's job (shooting down enemy planes) and double as a recon plane as well, but whether it was successful or not I'll leave unsaid.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 23, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grover posted:

Yeah, was fixed a couple months later, but of course didn't get any press. People just love to hate on the F-35.

http://whythef35.blogspot.com/2012/06/does-f-35c-have-tailhook-problem.html?m=1

It wasn't fixed a couple of months later. That article you link to there is June of '12, a year after the problem was publicized in the 2011 quick-look. In April of '13, Lockheed was still "promising" a fix:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2013/04/10/lockheed-promises-tailhook-fix-to-navys-f-35c/

quote:

Dunaway said he believed Lockheed Martin had found the right tailhook fix before he beck pedaled and said: “I will be a trust but verify person.” Rear Adm. Randollph Mahr, the deputy Program Executive Officer for the F-35, said “I have high confidence that that tailhook will be catching wires at Lakehurst.”

Let me know when it reliably catches a wire. Until then it's just press releases.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TheFluff posted:

Now, the Gripen was intended to merge the capabilities of those two into a single aircraft that could do the AJ's job (firing anti-ship missiles and dropping the occasional bomb), the JA's job (shooting down enemy planes) and double as a recon plane as well, but whether it was successful or not I'll leave unsaid.

That video made a pretty convincing case. :sweden:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TheFluff posted:

The Viggen wasn't a multirole plane, really. There was a strike version (AJ 37) and a fighter version (JA 37) with ten years in between them; the former could carry Sidewinders and the latter could carry unguided 135mm rockets, and that was about as multi-role as it ever got. They shared a very similar (but not identical) airframe, but the avionics and radar were completely different (the AJ had analog avionics and an analog onboard computer until the 90's, while the JA entered service in 1979 with completely digital avionics and was thus much easier to upgrade). It's sorta like the F-15A -> F-15E development but in reverse.
Ah, ok. Stuff like this is hard to parse from all the random fact sheets online.

quote:

Sweden managed to export them; seems successful :cheeky:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Maybe someday the F-35C will be able to catch a wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPx1A5Rsg10&t=143s

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well then there's the issue of integrating the F-35 into carrier operations. Jesus, high school kids have to be more prepared for projects than the DoD.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

To give the DoD a (very) little bit of slack it seems like the only way the F-35 could be more convoluted is if it was required that every part be made by a different company

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

LP97S posted:

Well then there's the issue of integrating the F-35 into carrier operations. Jesus, high school kids have to be more prepared for projects than the DoD.
What's so wierd about what they're discussing? Aircraft carriers, despite the apparent size, are actually quite cramped and don't have a lot of space for maintenance facilities. But they have to fit an entire airport worth of maintenance facilities and an entire supply depot onboard. Everything they're discussing actually sounds a lot like what the Navy did when the super hornet was introduced. Those sorts of upgrades happen constantly- literally after every deployment.

The F-135 engine powering the F-35C is about 19' long, a little over 4' in diameter, and weighs about 2 tons; roughly the same size as the F-14's F110 engine. Not sure why it's creating such an issue for replenishment? Either way, they're not exactly obscenely massive, just larger than the ships are (apparently) designed to accommodate, and will require some upgrades for. Routine poo poo, really. Nothing compared to the massive mods Navy had to do with the F-4 was introduced!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Taerkar posted:

To give the DoD a (very) little bit of slack it seems like the only way the F-35 could be more convoluted is if it was required that every part be made by a different company

Given the number of states that production for DoD contracts are spread out among to get a little bacon onto every Senator's plate it wouldn't surprise me at all if this isn't effectively the case already.

How many states were involved in the production of the F-22 again? I read it years ago and it was pretty loving nuts. Something on the order of 30.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I thought it was all of the lower 48.

I was explaining the groverlaser to my brother today, the bit about the driveshaft and there being a lift fan and he was like, "wait the F-35 has three versions? Wait there's a VTOL version and a regular version? Why, how does that make any sense? Why not just make a separate VTOL plane?" I told him he was asking the right questions.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

grover posted:

What's so wierd about what they're discussing? Aircraft carriers, despite the apparent size, are actually quite cramped and don't have a lot of space for maintenance facilities. But they have to fit an entire airport worth of maintenance facilities and an entire supply depot onboard. Everything they're discussing actually sounds a lot like what the Navy did when the super hornet was introduced. Those sorts of upgrades happen constantly- literally after every deployment.

The F-135 engine powering the F-35C is about 19' long, a little over 4' in diameter, and weighs about 2 tons; roughly the same size as the F-14's F110 engine. Not sure why it's creating such an issue for replenishment? Either way, they're not exactly obscenely massive, just larger than the ships are (apparently) designed to accommodate, and will require some upgrades for. Routine poo poo, really. Nothing compared to the massive mods Navy had to do with the F-4 was introduced!

I'm just wondering why the navy is just now getting around to getting the carriers ready for a plane selected in 2001, first production flown in 2006, and ordered by the thousands in 2009. This is actually not against the F-35, it's against the Pentagon and general spending of Congress being so disorganized at this level.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Space on a ship is at a premium, there's no sense installing poo poo before you actually need it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

LP97S posted:

I'm just wondering why the navy is just now getting around to getting the carriers ready for a plane selected in 2001, first production flown in 2006, and ordered by the thousands in 2009. This is actually not against the F-35, it's against the Pentagon and general spending of Congress being so disorganized at this level.
Because space on carriers is limited and F-35C isn't not going to deploy on any carriers until 2018. Which means these installs will happen on the carrier force starting in about the 2017 timeframe, each finishing about 6 months before deployment.

It's a very long slow testing and qualification process to get a new aircraft rated for aircraft carrier operation. Navy doesn't want to risk a glitch in the carrier landing system sending an aircraft into the fantail. We'll see limited tests in ideal conditions long before then, but operation is a lot different and there are a lot of variables to test, a lot of procedures to develop, and a lot of people to train.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 23, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Given the number of states that production for DoD contracts are spread out among to get a little bacon onto every Senator's plate it wouldn't surprise me at all if this isn't effectively the case already.

How many states were involved in the production of the F-22 again? I read it years ago and it was pretty loving nuts. Something on the order of 30.

IIRC each customer nation also has some small production role. Using a major defense project as a jobs bank may not be the reason for development issues but it sure doesn't do favors to the price

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Even the new Gripen has that going on with Switzerland, but that's mainly to convince them to buy the drat things in the first place. Even politicians realize that those birds aren't very likely to do much fighting anytime soon, so why not squeeze som votes jobs out of the deal? Or so I guess the logic goes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Because you don't really increase the number of total jobs, you just spread them out geographically. By definition you're giving work to people who weren't competitive in the first place, sometimes on quality but usually on cost. So your total airframe cost goes up. But there's a limit to how much the project expense cab accommodate that, so your number of airframes goes down. Which means less work for everyone, and a production run ended earlier, and thus less appealing to restart.

It's one thing at the high-macro level if you think you -must- spread work between, say, your two remaining shipyards just to keep both afloat, or that you must flip between your two remaining combat air producers (i.e. Boeing and LockMart) or one will exit the business. But that's not the case with the manufacturers if smaller subcomponents with civilian shared use option. Someone like a Gripen-loving Swede could make the argument that they need to keep domestic industrial capability for national defense when there's no civilian base, but the idea that a small besieged Euro nation is going to pump out latest-gen fighters for long is a bit far-fetched.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Nasiriya, 23 March 2003

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Name me the last time that anyone designed a multirole aircraft that went on to be a huge success. Go ahead, I'll wait here.

Back? So soon?

Now, go and look at all of the really, REALLY successful designs of the last 75 years. A-4, F-4, F-16, F-15, hell, the goddamned JU-88. What do they all have in common? They were designed to a very specific mission, and to excel at it. The A-4 was built to carry a pilot and a nuclear bomb, and thats it. Turns out it's a great light attack aircraft, and maneuverable enough to serve as a fighter aggressor aircraft.

The F-4 was a fleet defence interceptor that just happened to be an excellent multi-role strike fighter.

The F-15, same, despite being developed with "Not a pound for air to ground."

The F-16 was developed as a pure daytime air superiority fighter to tangle with MiG-29s. Turns out to be possibly the worlds best light multirole fighter.

But not a single one of these was designed by a committee, and asked to do everything for everyone. Funny how that works, isn't it?

The Tornado serves as a front line interceptor/fighter, strike craft and recon/EW plattform, and it was pretty much designed with all that in mind, by a comittee, in a multinational evironment.

Of course, nowadays it would have to be stealth and probably carrier-capable at least.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Tornado was sort of an exercise in compromise after both TFX and AFVG? left the Brits hanging. Ironically both of those projects had carrier capability requirements.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

It wasn't fixed a couple of months later. That article you link to there is June of '12, a year after the problem was publicized in the 2011 quick-look. In April of '13, Lockheed was still "promising" a fix:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2013/04/10/lockheed-promises-tailhook-fix-to-navys-f-35c/
You mean grover be misrepresentin'?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Because you don't really increase the number of total jobs, you just spread them out geographically. By definition you're giving work to people who weren't competitive in the first place, sometimes on quality but usually on cost.
Or on presence of state-funded R&D. There's no reason for a sovereign state to buy foreign manufacture instead of license building.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Someone like a Gripen-loving Swede could make the argument that they need to keep domestic industrial capability for national defense
That's exactly what's happening in France, for example.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 23, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

evil_bunnY posted:

That's exactly what's happening in France, for example.

Ironically, it's the opposite of what's happening in Sweden. See, we did this with the wharf industry 25y ago, and it was so catastrophic that government subsidy of a failing business is almost taboo now. We even had an interesting 'test' a couple years ago; Saab-supporters (the car one) who wanted government intervention where not taken seriously by anyone, and rightly so in my opinion. If someone says 'Jobs Program' now it's honest-to-god meant as a accusation. Actually, both Saab (the Gripen one) and the Swedish military is regularly accused of being unnecessary jobs programs, and morally UNJUST:jiggled: Perhaps they have a point...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ironically, it's the opposite of what's happening in Sweden. See, we did this with the wharf industry 25y ago, and it was so catastrophic that government subsidy of a failing business is almost taboo now.

God I wish that were true here everywhere.

e: phoneposting typo

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ironically, it's the opposite of what's happening in Sweden. See, we did this with the wharf industry 25y ago, and it was so catastrophic that government subsidy of a failing business is almost taboo now. We even had an interesting 'test' a couple years ago; Saab-supporters (the car one) who wanted government intervention where not taken seriously by anyone, and rightly so in my opinion. If someone says 'Jobs Program' now it's honest-to-god meant as a accusation. Actually, both Saab (the Gripen one) and the Swedish military is regularly accused of being unnecessary jobs programs, and morally UNJUST:jiggled: Perhaps they have a point...

Well, one of the stated intentions with sticking with indigenous fighter designs despite the cost was (and is) to maintain domestic engineering competence in the field, which in turn was originally motivated by post-WW2 paranoia about being isolated and unable to buy from the shelf. Then again the Gripen project only gained parliamentary approval back in the 80's on the condition that there would be no more indigenous fighter designs after it, since developing such things seemed to have become unreasonably expensive.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 23, 2013