Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I was in Poland and for my 25th birthday my family gave me a track experience with a Lambo Gallardo. However the Gallardo unexpectedly suffered engine trouble :italy: and was stuck in Vienna for reparations. So instead the driving experience company offered me Nissan GTR and 911 C4S drives as replacements, not as exotic as a Gallardo, but who cares it was amazing! They also have a KTM X-bow, and next year they are getting a 458 Italia. I'm already planning to go back next year

The driving instructor was such a nice guy, a true petrolhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Chevelle on a NASCAR chassis, build thread is here

xxn1927
Mar 5, 2001

Saw this thing parked outside the other day. I'm digging the louvred rear window

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Slavvy posted:

Yeees, all this is true, but if you compare the firing order of an LS1 or 6.1 hemi or a BMW s60, it's different to that of an SBC or an old school hemi or a cobra jet or whatever. Literally the cylinders fire in a different order.

So essentially you have the 'oldschool' v8 sound which has the retarded firing order, the conventional crossplane crank firing order of almost every current v8 engine, and the flat plane engine like Ferrari (and nascar?) use.

Yes, two cylinders are switched. It doesn't make much of a difference in sound.
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 vs.
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. It still has an unbalanced exhaust flow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

the flat plane engine like Ferrari (and nascar?) use.

Newp on NASCAR. They are cross-plane.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Motronic posted:

Really....being a Porsche guy I have to add that the 928 is the most expensive regular production car Porsche has ever made to date (inflation adjusted). The 944 is a Cayman in modern terms, with the 924 being the Boxster. The 928 would be closest to a current day Panamera (the 928 was slated to replace the 911 so it doesn't have a true current parallel as a true GT car).

:sperg:

Owner of a Porsche 928, the one with the V8 it in it.... :smug:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

OptimusMatrix posted:

Best footwell ever.

I knew I reckognized those pedals.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
18436572 fo'lyfe

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wallaka posted:

Yes, two cylinders are switched. It doesn't make much of a difference in sound.
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 vs.
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. It still has an unbalanced exhaust flow.

I beg to differ. I can definitely tell when it's an LSx vs an old school V8, particularly when said LSx is in an older chassis. Not as much as the difference in sound between a flat-plane and a cross-plane, I'll grant you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BoostCreep posted:

This guy knows what's up.

I have to agree, but not a single Rhino grille? For shame :colbert:

I'd give my left nut for that truck... probably the right one too, it's not like I really want kids anyways.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Viking Blood posted:

18436572 fo'lyfe

Ingrained in my memory for life after I swapped 3 and 6 in my Defender after a head gasket job and got stuck on the side of a very busy highway.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

Newp on NASCAR. They are cross-plane.

Flat plane is an old misconception from the days when exhaust systems weren't regulated as a spec part. Some teams would run exits on both sides and when the cars went by on the track you'd hear one bank of cylinders firing. Some cars had the traditional American V8 rumble, others would scream by sounding like a European exotic.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kastein posted:

I have to agree, but not a single Rhino grille? For shame :colbert:

No widetracks either. :colbert::colbert:

But neither of those are the demographic he's aiming for. (and more power to him)

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

BoostCreep posted:

This guy knows what's up.

Welp, guess I found the guy I'd go gay for. What's his story?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

sadnessboner posted:

That build is all kinds of awesome :allears:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

sadnessboner posted:

This build thread is amazing, thanks for the link.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Flat plane is an old misconception from the days when exhaust systems weren't regulated as a spec part. Some teams would run exits on both sides and when the cars went by on the track you'd hear one bank of cylinders firing. Some cars had the traditional American V8 rumble, others would scream by sounding like a European exotic.

I thought they still did 180 degree headers / something like it for the plate tracks, or am I crazy?

And that Chevelle is awesome.

"Short shifter? Why would you want that?" :clint:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought they still did 180 degree headers / something like it for the plate tracks, or am I crazy?

NASCAR banned them. If I had to guess, somebody probably won a few races, and the losers bitched to Bill France.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

IOwnCalculus posted:

Flat plane refers to the crank pins being offset by 180 degrees, whereas cross-plane V8 crank pins are offset by 90 degrees. Looking at the crank from the front, the crankshaft looks either to have a literal flat plane or like a cross, respectively. IIRC, cross-plane V8s are essentially two odd-firing I4's smacked together whereas flat-planes are essentially a pair of even-firing I4's.

EDIT: also, flat-crank V8s are pretty much used in racing applications in Europe and Japan but are also THE V8 used by Ferrari. Cross-plane V8s are the default for production cars as flat-crank eights are expensive to design/make because they require balance shafts to prevent them from tearing themselves apart.

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 24, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just posting an AI pic in the AI pic thread...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Flat plane refers to the crank pins being offset by 180 degrees, :words:

Right - but you can get a flat-plane-like sound from a cross-plane V8 with crossover / 180 degree headers.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right - but you can get a flat-plane-like sound from a cross-plane V8 with crossover / 180 degree headers.

NASCAR never used 180 degree headers, at least as far as I know. If Smokey didn't try them no one did :colbert: Indy used them a ton, though, like the Ford Cammer.

What I was referring to is a "true dual" exhaust, where one header was piped out on each side with dumps right in front of each rear tire. You'd get the impression of a big bore screaming four cylinder in the stands/on TV or in the garage because only one bank of cylinders would be firing at you.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR never used 180 degree headers, at least as far as I know. If Smokey didn't try them no one did :colbert: Indy used them a ton, though, like the Ford Cammer.

What I was referring to is a "true dual" exhaust, where one header was piped out on each side with dumps right in front of each rear tire. You'd get the impression of a big bore screaming four cylinder in the stands/on TV or in the garage because only one bank of cylinders would be firing at you.

They've pretty much always ran an x-pipe pipe after the collectors, though. Helps with scavenging, keeps exhaust velocity up because they can run smaller primaries, and relieves the excess pressure from the uneven firing order. Seen here in normal NASCAR circumstances:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Problems posting from phone; nothing to see here.

blk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 24, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

sadnessboner posted:

I actually said "OH gently caress!" out loud when I saw this. Wow, it's perfect.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 24, 2013

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

South's great for classic shows.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)
Whoa. Hold up. Where was that car show? Is that a red 67 Chevelle next to the monkey vomit green 72 1/2 camaro? If so, there should have been a SS 454 Chevelle nearby. If so, that Camaro was mine in high school. My dad's buddy takes them to shows all over. The 454 is my dads and the 67 396 will be mine soon enough. The Camaro is owned by my dad's buddy since I wrapped around a tree when I was 17 in 1998.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

in_absentia posted:

Is that a red 67 Chevelle next to the monkey vomit green 72 1/2 camaro?

It's a 69 Chevelle.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

in_absentia posted:

Whoa. Hold up. Where was that car show? Is that a red 67 Chevelle next to the monkey vomit green 72 1/2 camaro? If so, there should have been a SS 454 Chevelle nearby. If so, that Camaro was mine in high school. My dad's buddy takes them to shows all over. The 454 is my dads and the 67 396 will be mine soon enough. The Camaro is owned by my dad's buddy since I wrapped around a tree when I was 17 in 1998.

Mid South Carolina. Don't have any Chevelle pics, so if it was there my camera died too soon

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Viking Blood posted:

18436572 fo'lyfe

I've been around the GM V8 for as long as I've been driving and this will forever be burned into my memory. Imagine my confusion when I first saw the specs for the LS1:

E:
\/\/Old Nova's are awesome, congrats!\/\/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This may not be very AI to you guys, but it's pretty loving AI to me.
Just picked this up yesterday:

Need to get a few things done right off the bat (fluids, filters, try to figure out where the gently caress the speedometer needle went...), but it's solid and runs really well. I probably start the big projects with it next year once the funds recoup a bit.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Now you just need to scrape together a couple hundred grand to turn it into this: http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/10/car_spotlight_gt_gt_1160hp_super_sleeper_nova/

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Root Bear posted:

I've been around the GM V8 for as long as I've been driving and this will forever be burned into my memory. Imagine my confusion when I first saw the specs for the LS1:

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Then there's the new 5.0 'Coyote' in the Mustang.

1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

Which just so happens to be the same firing order as the old Flathead V8.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do the Ford and GM firing orders use the same cylinder ordering system on the block?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Do the Ford and GM firing orders use the same cylinder ordering system on the block?

Nope. Ford numbers 1-4 on bank one, 5-8 on bank 2. Chevy numbers from right to left then back in rows.

Found a chart:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wallaka posted:

Nope. Ford numbers 1-4 on bank one, 5-8 on bank 2. Chevy numbers from right to left then back in rows.

Found a chart:

And people accuse the germans of being different just for the bloody-minded gently caress of it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Need to get a few things done right off the bat (fluids, filters, try to figure out where the gently caress the speedometer needle went...), but it's solid and runs really well. I probably start the big projects with it next year once the funds recoup a bit.

Thats sweet, another cool old Chevy in AI.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Well I figured out where the speedo needle went... It snapped off and was laying in the bottom of the gauge cluster. I've got it all apart, and the actual shaft that the needle attaches to is broken. I've got a little stump of shaft still stuck to the needle and the rest running down into the actual speedometer mechanism. All I need is the mechanism itself or at the very least a new shaft and needle. I'm having no luck at all tracking down anything less than an entire new speedo for $200+. Anyone got any ideas?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

And people accuse the germans of being different just for the bloody-minded gently caress of it.

See, American "arbitrarily unique" just requires that you know different firing orders. German "arbitrarily unique" requires you have a special type of socket that costs 10 times the part you're replacing, and/or deal with loving plastic cooling systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

See, American "arbitrarily unique" just requires that you know different firing orders. German "arbitrarily unique" requires you have a special type of socket that costs 10 times the part you're replacing, and/or deal with loving plastic cooling systems.

A lot of the seemingly outlandish poo poo BMW and MB do is actually just pioneering immature technology. Everyone thought BMW was mad putting alloy heads on production cars in the 60's, and the results were catastrophic. Now ever car has an alloy head. Practically every car now has a plastic cam cover, a plastic thermostat housing and so on. Every car has throttle by wire. Lots of cars have radar cruise control, every car has an ESC of some description, lots of cars have lane collision avoidance, practically every car has pyro seatbelt pretensioners, the list goes on.

All of this stuff was blanket implemented by MB and BMW very early on and the perceived reliability of the vehicles suffered as a result.

I can't excuse VAG though, that poo poo is whack.