Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Would it be appropriate to ask a question about buying a Mustang in this thread, or is it for talking about them only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Go for it!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

No, A/C and Max A/C are the only ones that do. The others do not.

Defrost should; it has in every car I've driven.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

My husband and I both work, have savings, and own two reliable cars so we feel comfortable in considering getting our dream car, a Mustang. Someone in our town posted an '05 GT deluxe on craigslist July 30th, and we really like the look of it. The basic information given is as follows: new body style, leather interior, AC, power locks and windows, cruise control, upgraded black mags, new tints, and 121k miles. He says there are no mechanical issues and the car is mint. My brother in law is a mechanic and could come look at it with us to verify those mechanical claims, thankfully. Is his asking price of $8295 fair? This person has reposted the car four times since the first, and dropped off $200, leading my husband to suggest we throw out an offer of $7,000 cash if the car looks sound. I worry that is an insultingly low offer, unless of course the car is over priced.

The ad is here: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/3972920356.html

Thanks for the input.

Opera Bitch fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 15, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Opera Bitch posted:

would this be automatic or manual?

That is an automatic. Worst case, he says to screw off.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Defrost should; it has in every car I've driven.
You're right ... Sorry, forgot.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Opera Bitch posted:

My husband and I both work, have savings, and own two reliable cars so we feel comfortable in considering getting our dream car, a Mustang. Someone in our town posted an '05 GT deluxe on craigslist July 30th, and we really like the look of it. The basic information given is as follows: new body style, leather interior, AC, power locks and windows, cruise control, upgraded black mags, new tints, and 121k miles. He says there are no mechanical issues and the car is mint. My brother in law is a mechanic and could come look at it with us to verify those mechanical claims, thankfully. Is his asking price of $8295 fair? This person has reposted the car four times since the first, and dropped off $200, leading my husband to suggest we throw out an offer of $7,000 cash if the car looks sound. I worry that is an insultingly low offer, unless of course the car is over priced.

The ad is here: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/3972920356.html

Thanks for the input.

For a 'dream car' Mustang, is a 2011+ GT out of your budget? I ask because if it were me, I'd get a newer GT instead with the 5.0 instead of the 4.6.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Devyl posted:

For a 'dream car' Mustang, is a 2011+ GT out of your budget? I ask because if it were me, I'd get a newer GT instead with the 5.0 instead of the 4.6.
We're ok with an older model because we aren't looking to spend more than $8,500. We aren't in any rush to get one, and I am mainly wondering if this person's asking price seems reasonable considering the mileage despite the car's nice condition. It is the best Mustang deal we've seen in our area so far.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Opera Bitch posted:

We're ok with an older model because we aren't looking to spend more than $8,500. We aren't in any rush to get one, and I am mainly wondering if this person's asking price seems reasonable considering the mileage despite the car's nice condition. It is the best Mustang deal we've seen in our area so far.

All areas differ, thats pretty cheap in bay area but where you are it might be totally normal.

1) Are you sure you want an auto? You can tune them to be pretty fun in a straight line but still..
2) go see the car, you will find poo poo wrong with it, or its perfect, you then give him an offer 24 hours later with what you think the car is worth.
3) look at other 2005 Gt on craigslist and see what $8500 will buy you, thats the only way to get a good idea of what theyll be selling for.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

mattwhoo posted:

I attempted the nice guy route. Hell at one point I just tried to get them to trade me out of it (I know the dealership has no dog in the show). I followed all the steps in the owners manual and got nothing other then we will give you an extended warranty. At the time it was about 20 business days out of service. After I got a lawyer they took about 90 days to come back with the 6k offer. About 2 weeks before they sent the offer I took it back to the dealer for more work. It is still in the shop. The lawyer has rejected there offer and informed them of the current service. So I'm waiting to see what they say. Its been quite the lovely experience. I will say my biggest problem is going to be what to buy next when this piece of poo poo goes away.

Mate that sounds just terrible. Keep us informed on how it turns out in the thread.

After they replaced the trans in mine the car was fine. I even put in the mods I had sitting around, including my short throw shifter. Now she shifts like a dream and I bang through the gears regardless of RPM and am back to loving the car. Hope it turns out like that for you, or they buy it back.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Well I picked the car up this Wednesday for a total of another 22 days in the shop. That brings it to a total of 48 days since August of last year. I have rejected the 6 k offer and maintained they repurchase the car. Who knows when they will respond. As of now its all on there dime even if I have to go to court and it takes two years the amount they have to give me for a repurchase will not go down. I will let you guys know when I here something.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Next generation Mustang is supposedly 400 lbs lighter than the current S197; will also be 15 inches shorter and 6.5 inches narrower. If they chop half a foot off the width, that only puts it about the same as a freaking [i]Miata[i].

When is Ford going to show the new Mustang off, anyway?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

450HP roadster :axe:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tide posted:

When is Ford going to show the new Mustang off, anyway?

According to that article you linked it debuts at NAIAS, the Detroit auto show.

Those numbers, if they're correct, have me pretty psyched. When I test drove an '11 GT I just couldn't get past how goddamn huge that car was, I just hope they do a good job with the styling.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So maybe right now isn't the time to buy a used 5k mile 2013 gt premium in the color I want? :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh man I can't wait to see the new Mustang. It's pretty much the only car even close to my price range that would make me consider parting with my current Mustang, if the rumours are all true. Mind you, it will have to be pretty good to get me to sell my '11 right away; I'm thinking I'll probably be in the market for a new one starting around summer 2015.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Apollo posted:

So maybe right now isn't the time to buy a used 5k mile 2013 gt premium in the color I want? :(

When the '14 comes out, I expect the price of the 11's to 13's to plummet the way the '10's and older did when the 5.0 came out. That is, of course, unless Ford does a last minute about face and nix's the 5.0 V8 from the line up and goes with 4 bangers.

So, unless you have to have it now, I would wait.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
THe S550 front fascia was revealed yesterday and looks pretty much how everyone expected it to; like a Mustang/Fusion blend. I think it works pretty well, but I'm sure it will prove to be controversial.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797

http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-basically-uncovered-front-of-the-2015-mustan-1172253306

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-spy-photos-news-1

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't current rumor mill that the '15 is gonna have the base V6, 2.3 Ecoboost as the mid option, and 5.0 for the GT? Seems a pretty solid line of motors, and Euro-friendly to boot.

E\/ Yeah, the article that revealed the spy shots of the nose mentioned something about that. I guess Shelby's discontinuing their GT350, so Ford might snag that name for their new high-end model?

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 22, 2013

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Fucknag posted:

Isn't current rumor mill that the '15 is gonna have the base V6, 2.3 Ecoboost as the mid option, and 5.0 for the GT? Seems a pretty solid line of motors, and Euro-friendly to boot.

Yep, current word on the street is that the 3.7L V6 will continue with a slight power bump, along with an upgraded 5.0L V8, and that a 2.3L or 2.5L I4 Ecoboost will be joining the lineup with 300-350 hp.

I've also heard that the GT500 will drop both the supercharger and the "GT500" name, and that there might be a high revving V8 in the future for another high performance model (think Boss 302 replacement).

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

That 302s is pretty hot

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't think that grille is bad at all. I'd need to see it without any cladding and properly painted to make a final judgment, but I don't think it'd be too objectionable. I'm more wondering where exactly they've shaved off the extra inches in length, and if it affects cabin size at all.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's a fair amount of space up front in the '13 and '14's, no doubt. Especially that nose. I've never really though the Mustang was a big car, just a bit heavy. The 6" of width they're taking out makes me give it a bit of the stinkeye, though.

Anyway, I like the grill/nose section. Looks muscular. Wonder how long it will take someone to make a kit to fit the IRS to S197s?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Q_res posted:

According to that article you linked it debuts at NAIAS, the Detroit auto show.

Those numbers, if they're correct, have me pretty psyched. When I test drove an '11 GT I just couldn't get past how goddamn huge that car was, I just hope they do a good job with the styling.

I really don't understand this concept that it is a big car. I know wheelbase and weight wise it might be considered big, but not once in 3 years of ownership have I said "wow this car is big". My previous car was a '98 Civic DX hatch, so I know what small cars are like. The engine compartment/hood is big, but there is a v-8 in there, so that is understandable. I guess I would ask big compared to what? A BRZ or Miata, sure it's big, but most cars would be.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 22, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Radiohead71 posted:

I really don't understand this concept that it is a big car. I know wheelbase and weight wise it might be considered big, but not once in 3 years of ownership have I said "wow this car is big". My previous car was a '98 Civic DX hatch, so I know what small cars are like. The engine compartment/hood is big, but there is a v-8 in there, so that is understandable. I guess I would ask big compared to what? A BRZ or Miata, sure it's big, but most cars would be.

They're fairly heavy, and have been since the '94's came out. Part of the 'big' to me seems to be the long hood; all you see is cowl/hood when you're sitting in the front.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Tide posted:

There's a fair amount of space up front in the '13 and '14's, no doubt. Especially that nose. I've never really though the Mustang was a big car, just a bit heavy. The 6" of width they're taking out makes me give it a bit of the stinkeye, though.

Anyway, I like the grill/nose section. Looks muscular. Wonder how long it will take someone to make a kit to fit the IRS to S197s?

I haven't been in an S197, but I bet you could lose most of that width by just making the side of the cabin above the door more vertical. Looking at some front view pictures, they lean in as much as in an SN95, and in my SN95 I could only move my head an inch or two to the left before I would hit the ceiling as it curved down to meet the window. Contrast this to my Vette, where I have slightly less room directly above my head, but I can move a good 4-6 inches to the side before I hit window (and I actually hit the window, not the ceiling like in my Mustang). If you get that headroom back, you can cut some width in the doors with just a thinner (and hopefully higher quality) interior styling. Maybe not a full six inches between both sides, but enough that you won't notice too much that the center console got thinner.

In fact, I just clicked on the links above about the front fascia reveal after writing that paragraph. It's difficult to tell because the shots are all slightly higher-angle, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they've done. The windows do not seem to bow in as much as they go up compared to the S197. There's a few shots where it looks the same, but those are all angles where the rake of the roof exaggerates the taper.

Also that giant camper-shell tarp on the back is making me think they're hiding a fastback underneath.

You know, I originally planned on replacing my current Vette with a slightly newer Z06 (2008-2010) in 4-5 years, but if there's a 450-ish hp option in a brand-new Mustang at that point, I may just try that out for a couple of years before getting an early C7 Z06 instead. Which brings me back full circle to when I was planning to buy a brand new 5.0 instead of a used Corvette to replace my previous Mustang.

Also I apologize for talking about a Corvette in the Mustang thread. I love them both... a lot. Under my TV I have models of a '67 mustang and a C6 Corvette next to each other. Unless I can some day afford an Aston Martin or a Ford GT, I'm probably only ever going to own Mustangs and Corvettes. Even when I have kids. Or 1 kid, whose mother I will divorce because I can only carry one passenger, damnit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ApathyGifted posted:

Also I apologize for talking about a Corvette in the Mustang thread. I love them both... a lot. Under my TV I have models of a '67 mustang and a C6 Corvette next to each other. Unless I can some day afford an Aston Martin or a Ford GT, I'm probably only ever going to own Mustangs and Corvettes. Even when I have kids. Or 1 kid, whose mother I will divorce because I can only carry one passenger, damnit.

Maybe if Chevy had gone with the original Nomad concept and built it on the Corvette chassis instead of the Bel Air you wouldn't have that problem.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Radiohead71 posted:

Well my daily driver then, and now, was a 2007 Civic Si 4-door. Before that an 88 Crown Vic. The Mustang just felt like a tank by comparison to the Honda.

I'm a decent size guy, 6'3" and 167lbs, I just felt like I had quite a bit of car around me when I drove it. It's that simple really.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
The thing that gets me is how useless the interior space is for a car that big.

Anyway, for those who might be interested, installed FRPP front and rear sways and front strut tower on my wife's 2012 to tighten up the body a little and cut down on roll without lowering the car. The FRPP rear comes with sexy billet aluminum mounts now (up side) that use the only squeaky rubber bushings I have ever seen (down side.) Definite, immediately noticeable improvement that makes the car much more fun for relatively little money and the installs were easy. I'm used to front strut towers being mainly cosmetic, so I think we're going to try the rear bar too - after I installed the front tower she came back from the test drive and said the problem is that now the nose can write checks the tail can't cash.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1st Edition ADandD posted:

after I installed the front tower she came back from the test drive and said the problem is that now the nose can write checks the tail can't cash.

Those words? She sounds like a keeper.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mustangs are only big if you have a 2-seater sports-coupe or roadster. For a muscle/pony coupe, they're on the small side, especially when it comes to parking. It's hard for me to park 70s and back muscle in some situations, and I have the same problem with my Challenger. I could maneuver my Mustang in almost anywhere reasonable relatively easily. And it had juuuust enough space in the inside to fit my long-legged six foot fame into.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

1st Edition ADandD posted:

The thing that gets me is how useless the interior space is for a car that big.

Anyway, for those who might be interested, installed FRPP front and rear sways and front strut tower on my wife's 2012 to tighten up the body a little and cut down on roll without lowering the car. The FRPP rear comes with sexy billet aluminum mounts now (up side) that use the only squeaky rubber bushings I have ever seen (down side.) Definite, immediately noticeable improvement that makes the car much more fun for relatively little money and the installs were easy. I'm used to front strut towers being mainly cosmetic, so I think we're going to try the rear bar too - after I installed the front tower she came back from the test drive and said the problem is that now the nose can write checks the tail can't cash.

Lowered? Time for an adjustable panhard bar!

Losing my car Thursday and pickup Sunday for the following parts:

Power:
Boss Intake Manifold and Airraid PJ CF intake
Accufab 84.5 throttle body
JLT oil separator
Kooks Super Street headers 1 7/8th"
Lethal Performance Offroad H pipe
2nd Generation JPC Over Axle Pipes
Keeping Roush AB or installing 2012 GT500 AB

Suspension:
Steeda Adjustable UCA
BMR chromoly PHB
Painted Boss Strut tower brace
MMD hood struts

Tuning (AED):
Idle(Lope), Drag (Removing torque limiter) and 91 performance tune
Skip shift delete

I would like to apologize to Frozenphil as I'm pretty sure this mustang is my most favorite car I've owned so far. If the S550 Mach 1/GT350 comes out for 2016 I think something might sway me from a Corvette.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Steeda Widebody:

drat that thing is fine.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I like the look of the new mustang more then the updated s197s, if they could get it under 3000 lbs from the factory I would probably order one as soon as possible. As someone who has driven and owned just about every generation of mustangs made im glad they are going back to a smaller car. The s197s felt huge to me, but this is coming from someone who is a foxbody lover.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Going to go look at a cheap 1997 Mustang GT tomorrow. Seller claims it won't shift into reverse. Its priced at 2000 and hes been sitting on it for some time....

What are the possible issues or repairs associated with no reverse and how easy of a fix can it be? Is there certain signs I need to look for in determining the problem?

Basically I want to know easiest/worst case scenario that I could deal with and how much if could cost... basically if its not trashed, could I stand to make a little cash after I get tired of it?

Edit: car has 124k miles.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 24, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tide posted:

Steeda Widebody:

What kind of suspension do you need to run to get the wheels to look right?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Going to go look at a cheap 1997 Mustang GT tomorrow. Seller claims it won't shift into reverse. Its priced at 2000 and hes been sitting on it for some time....

What are the possible issues or repairs associated with no reverse and how easy of a fix can it be? Is there certain signs I need to look for in determining the problem?

Basically I want to know easiest/worst case scenario that I could deal with and how much if could cost... basically if its not trashed, could I stand to make a little cash after I get tired of it?

Edit: car has 124k miles.

I think those still had the t-45s in them and they have a tendency to sometimes get stuck in reverse so possibly the p.o. bent the forks trying to get the car out of reverse or it could more serious internal problems with the syncros or whatnot. I think those run about 1500 new but im not positive about the price. As for a rebuild before I switched to a t-56 several years ago I was quoted a 600 rebuild price on a t-45 I trashed, that was with me pulling the tranny and putting it back in. So you might want to check with a shop on a quote before buying the car. If its just the forks you could probably make a steal on the car and double your money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Scob posted:

I think those still had the t-45s in them and they have a tendency to sometimes get stuck in reverse so possibly the p.o. bent the forks trying to get the car out of reverse or it could more serious internal problems with the syncros or whatnot. I think those run about 1500 new but im not positive about the price. As for a rebuild before I switched to a t-56 several years ago I was quoted a 600 rebuild price on a t-45 I trashed, that was with me pulling the tranny and putting it back in. So you might want to check with a shop on a quote before buying the car. If its just the forks you could probably make a steal on the car and double your money.

How much of a bitch is it to replace forks? But 600 for a rebuild isnt that awful, even with 600 in a rebuild and a new clutch (might as well while I am in there) is not that bad.

Because I would like to get something to drive around for a while, then dump it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How much of a bitch is it to replace forks? But 600 for a rebuild isnt that awful, even with 600 in a rebuild and a new clutch (might as well while I am in there) is not that bad.

Because I would like to get something to drive around for a while, then dump it.

Like scob said, if it's the fork, all you gotta do is drop the transmission and swap out the fork. Pretty easy straight-forward fix. If it isn't the fork, then just pick up a used T-45 at a junkyard for cheap. Either way it's a pretty easy fix. Just make sure you get one from a 95-98 model, because the 99's+ run a different type of speed sensor for the speedometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I am glad they are making the new car smaller.

The SN197 feels like a landyacht compared to the SN95. I really don't like driving cars where I can't see where the hood ends.

Also tried to fire up the 94 mustang race car today. Plug in the security computer brain that has 4 cut wires and is missing the 4 pin plug. Key on and the whole dash christmas tree's and you can't start the car. Security brain also makes a continued clicking sound.

Fuel leak stopped us for the day. We're just trying to fire the stock 5.0 before we put the race motor in. I really don't want to rip everything out and put in the wiring from car #2.

Any insight? gently caress EECIV