Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sober posted:

2) People would've loving cried foul if it was a Splinter Cell game without a Sam Fisher in it anyway, so replacing Sam Fisher was just as bad of an idea but at least they kept the only decent Tom Clancy character (from any of their games, the others are unremarkable cyphers at best), if not more memorable character in recent (gaming) history.

As far as I'm concerned they've already replaced Sam Fisher. Everyone calls this new guy Sam but it's obviously not the same character. I don't get why companies do this. All it does is alienate old fans of the game, because new fans won't notice or care. See: the new Thief game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Sober posted:

Fourth Echelon was created to hunt down the rest of Third Echelon, which went rogue. We should just have SC7 be 4E hunting down Rogue 3E agents doing harmful poo poo or Meggido (backing them maybe) and not having to deal with the most public :911: scenario.

The plot for Blacklist kinda went nowhere either. I'd like to think the side missions (co-op) are more like 'cleanup duty' after the SP campaign was over.

5e hunting down 4E. 6E hunting down 5E.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

ethanol posted:

If you're experiencing multiplayer connection problems, try making sure your ports are properly set open. Conviction was notoriously touchy with ports too. Check out this page for the ports.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ.aspx?platformid=9&brandid=249&productid=2732&faqid=kA030000000eZEfCAM

No help there. I think I might just be stuck hoping they patch their connectivity.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ShineDog posted:

5e hunting down 4E. 6E hunting down 5E.

Its echelons all the way down, Sam.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As far as I'm concerned they've already replaced Sam Fisher. Everyone calls this new guy Sam but it's obviously not the same character. I don't get why companies do this. All it does is alienate old fans of the game, because new fans won't notice or care.

I think the worst thing about him is how serious he is. Also...why did they get rid of interrogating guys when you grab them? There was nothing better than Sam grabbing a dude and whispering jokes in terrified thug's ears. It's a great way to get information and rewards players who don't just cap guys from afar.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Space Hamlet posted:

No help there. I think I might just be stuck hoping they patch their connectivity.

My multiplayer experience has been so drastically hit-or-miss. Most of the time I select quick match (for any gametype) I'm put into an empty lobby where the same few people continually join, sit there for a few seconds, and leave. It makes it feel like there are only 2-3 other people playing the game. After a few minutes I usually end up backing out and rejoining until I'm actually put into a match, but when I finally do find a good lobby people usually clear out after the match ends :(

It doesn't help that you can't text chat in lobbies. (or while dead, what the hell, they know people are just going to use third party chat programs so come on)

When you do finally end up in a good game though, oh man. Best game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

G-Whizard posted:

I think the worst thing about him is how serious he is. Also...why did they get rid of interrogating guys when you grab them? There was nothing better than Sam grabbing a dude and whispering jokes in terrified thug's ears. It's a great way to get information and rewards players who don't just cap guys from afar.

This was first replaced in Conviction by grabbing guys and beating them to within an inch of death to obtain information. In Blackblist, it was replaced by cutscenes.

I, too, miss grabbing guys and loving with them. I have fond memories of some of the interrogations from CT.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

G-Whizard posted:

Chaos Theory had great interrogations because they were so fun.

"Hi there!" :haw:

"Screw you US lapdog!"
"He isn't talking should I kill him?"
"Negative! Negative! Do not kill the target!"
"Ok they said I should kill you."
"Oh God I'll talk!"
"Excellent."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

doctor 7 posted:

Chaos Theory had great interrogations because they were so fun.

"Hi there!" :haw:

"Screw you US lapdog!"
"He isn't talking should I kill him?"
"Negative! Negative! Do not kill the target!"
"Ok they said I should kill you."
"Oh God I'll talk!"
"Excellent."

The best Splinter Cell interrogation ever.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Why is every Tech guy in every film/game ever so sarcastic and intolerable?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

My favourite was the guy in the first mission who knew Fisher would come in the thunder and in this darkness.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

strategery posted:

They will never get rid of Sam Fischer. He is Splinter Cell. He will in seek suits until he is 90.

I mean he was supposed to have been in nam. How old would he have to be? 60+, I would think.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Dogen posted:

I mean he was supposed to have been in nam. How old would he have to be? 60+, I would think.

He was born in 1957 and was 47 years old in the first game. I don't know when Blacklist is supposed to be taking place, but it isn't right now so he might very well be in his 60s.

They've always been really inconsistent with his age anyway. He constantly swings back and forth between old and young looking.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Jesus cock-sucking Christ there is an honest-to-god FPS section in the game followed by a forced shoot-out right after.

I know people are joking about Splinter of Duty and what-not but this is actually what the devs are trying to do. They literally un-ironically are trying to make their game look and feel like call of duty.

And of course since I maxed out my stealth suit I can only take 2 hits before going down. I can't even get past the shoot-out part because I had the audacity to spec for stealth.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Red Mundus posted:

I know people are joking about Splinter of Duty and what-not but this is actually what the devs are trying to do. They literally un-ironically are trying to make their game look and feel like call of duty.

It's a 15 minute sequence in a 10 hour campaign that I beat on my first playthrough on Realistic while maxing stealth and I am no great shakes at shooters. To refine what you said, they literally un-ironically put a short stealth-based first-person shooter section in their game, and if you don't like it (and I didn't, for reference) it's over in a flash. Let's not go off the deep end here. If they wanted to make their games play like CoD, this would not be how you would go about doing it. It was most likely put in there for variety and because they have all the assets from playing first-person as a Merc in multiplayer.

I'm no Ubi apologist but there was that terrible bomb-defusal minigame in Double Agent and nobody was screaming about how they were trying to turn Splinter Cell into Fable.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's a 15 minute sequence in a 10 hour campaign that I beat on my first playthrough on Realistic while maxing stealth and I am no great shakes at shooters. To refine what you said, they literally un-ironically put a short stealth-based first-person shooter section in their game, and if you don't like it (and I didn't, for reference) it's over in a flash. Let's not go off the deep end here. If they wanted to make their games play like CoD, this would not be how you would go about doing it. It was most likely put in there for variety and because they have all the assets from playing first-person as a Merc in multiplayer.

I'm no Ubi apologist but there was that terrible bomb-defusal minigame in Double Agent and nobody was screaming about how they were trying to turn Splinter Cell into Fable.

Goons have a tendency to blow things out of proportion. That part was kind of unnecessary, but it was far from offensive. It actually was kind of fun. I didn't hate it, and it was over and done with before you know it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Lets have some uplay names for coop then! Preferably Euro.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
I find it amazing that people are getting upset about things like forced fights and then attributing them to Ubisoft wanting CoDify the franchise when the series has had a proud tradition of lovely forced combat scenarios. At least this time they had the good graces to make the combat in their stealth game actually decent to play before they threw you into them.

And the FPS section is way more fun and less frustrating than the awful cover shooter part of Conviction, not to mention way shorter and you can actually play it stealthy in parts.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man I just listened to Polygon's The Besties and they talked about Splinter Cell. The guy who brought it to the discussion had only played the first level. Cue about 20 minutes of pure loving nonsense and bad information. So disappointing.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
To be honest the story was really brought me into the whole CoD-like. That section was just the icing on top.

There's also another forced shoot-out section later on with barely any cover. I ended up cheesing that with grenades. Also, the shoot-out sections in earlier games were lovely yes, but you could always use a combination of stealth and gadgets to get you through. In Blacklist it's just cover shooting and 'nade throwing.

I just find the whole game unpleasant to play. Sam hasn't just changed in appearance but in personality as well. Compared to (story spoilers) Sam in CT when he saves the two pilots and doesn't care about getting medals. In Blacklist he brags about entering and escaping Gitmo in one day. He's also willing to almost go to war with Iran and doesn't see a problem with it despite the body count. In CT, he's apprehensive about entering allied land and is critical of American foreign policy. In Blacklist he could barely give two shits where he goes and what he does. Somehow I think bombing a freaking Iranian highway is a good way to start WW3. Sam doesn't even bat an eye. Sam just feels like a completely different person and it's jarring to play.

I know you can stealth in the first-person segments but why bother going FPS instead of just keeping to the normal controls? It's stupid and feels completely out of place. At least the shoot-out in Conviction kept the same control scheme even if it didn't fit.

Change is good, but change for the sake of change just comes off like Ubi is desperate and grasping for anything to keep the SC franchise going.

At this point, either do a re-boot or replace the protagonist entirely.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I've been getting such a vibe from this game like I was watching an episode of 24 that I thought it was just an overactive imagination that Majid Sadiq looked just like Morris O'Brien. Sure enough the actor that did the voice for Sadiq is Carlo Rota. Goddamnit Ubi if your going to get actors from 24 just bring back Haysbert!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Red Mundus posted:

To be honest the story was really brought me into the whole CoD-like. That section was just the icing on top.

To be fair, it is a Tom Clancy game by Tom Clancy (did we mention Tom Clancy?) which means that the story is guaranteed to be several degrees of :fsmug: and :tinfoil:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How much input does Tom Clancy have on these games anyways?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

He allows his name to be put on it, that's probably about it. But there's still the idea of the Tom Clancy story.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

None anymore. Ubisoft gave him gobs of money for the royalty free rights to his name for use in their franchises.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

ShineDog posted:

Lets have some uplay names for coop then! Preferably Euro.

Not euro but we can see how bad the lag is, add brucewillisplz (uplay) for coop or SvM action.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
I'm definitely up for uPlay coop. Name is Triggsz. (also superior euro)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Playing coop with pubbies can be incredibly entertaining. Everyone has their "thing" when it comes to stealth and no matter how fubar'ed something gets it all somehow comes together.

Just finished the game and am very confused as to what the hell happened. I get what blacklist was trying to do but afterwards it just ends abruptly with a lame sequel hook. We capture the bad guy and then 12 nations want to destroy America? That came out of left field. Is the next game going to be America taking over 12 countries or something. Colonization Sam Fisher-style?

Also why bother introducing another plot hook when they still have megiddo around? Did they forget about them entirely?

Actually, as the poster above mentioned, the answer to all these questions is "Tom Clancy" isn't it? :v:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
uPlay name is Tykero

United States here, though I usually play between midnight and 6am Central time. (GMT -6)

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Red Mundus posted:

Just finished the game and am very confused as to what the hell happened. I get what blacklist was trying to do but afterwards it just ends abruptly with a lame sequel hook. We capture the bad guy and then 12 nations want to destroy America? That came out of left field. Is the next game going to be America taking over 12 countries or something. Colonization Sam Fisher-style?

Also why bother introducing another plot hook when they still have megiddo around? Did they forget about them entirely?

Actually, as the poster above mentioned, the answer to all these questions is "Tom Clancy" isn't it? :v:

I assumed he was saying that there are other people beneath him still out there, and just because you take down the head of the Engineers doesn't mean the organization is dead. I was hoping for some more post-credits, more ominous dialogue from Sadiq, etc. Maybe he has ties to Meggido and they'll dip back into loose ends from Conviction?

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not blaming Eric Johnson. It's clear that the actor can do nuance. I'm blaming the terrible direction that makes everyone talk like they have to take a piss really badly and rush through every sentence with forced urgency. I'm blaming the terrible script that makes everyone act like a petulant 12 year old who speaks exclusively in espionage acronyms and military fiction cliches. I'm blaming the choice to make the bad guys into comic-book supervillains and to equate opposition to American imperialism with cutting the throat of American servicemen.
It's pretty much the above why I can't get into this game. It feels like a Michael Bay movie written for 12 year olds. That. The achievements. And the horrible interface.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The lack of Ironside is probably the worst part of this one for me. In the opening cutscene, Sam was wearing some kind of uniform with a hat on and I didn't even notice him, even after he spoke. Then some character referred to him as Sam, and I think I audibly said "Wait, which one is Sam?"

The replacement VA for Sam sounds nothing like Ironside so I can't take Sam seriously at all anymore.
Forgot to mention. I really really miss Ironside. When someone reffered to Sam, I reacted the same way the guy above me did.

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 24, 2013

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

Playing coop with pubbies can be incredibly entertaining. Everyone has their "thing" when it comes to stealth and no matter how fubar'ed something gets it all somehow comes together.

Avoiding the spoilers in your post but the comment about pubbies getting the job done is interesting. My first co-op match was with a pubby on one of the levels where you fail if you're spotted. We failed the first few times but then pulled it off on our 3rd or 4th try. The weird thing is when I played with my brother and we were trying to be fully coordinated, we just could not do it... I really hate those no fail levels without checkpoints. Playing the entire level over if you fail is just kind of lame.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Red Mundus posted:

Jesus cock-sucking Christ there is an honest-to-god FPS section in the game followed by a forced shoot-out right after.

And of course since I maxed out my stealth suit I can only take 2 hits before going down. I can't even get past the shoot-out part because I had the audacity to spec for stealth.

Ah gently caress. I was hovering over the purchase button, but somehow I knew it would have forced gimmick sections like this. Oh well.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Ah gently caress. I was hovering over the purchase button, but somehow I knew it would have forced gimmick sections like this. Oh well.

We're talking about a 5 minute section here... The game is otherwise really good gameplay wise. Don't let assholes sway you. Unless you're a big baby who can't handle a 5 minute section.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Also it's a five minute section that is played by a different character on your team, so it makes sense in context.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So how long is the actual co-op missions?

I'm figuring Blacklist will mirror my experience with Conviction: A pretty painful single player mode with a surprisingly well designed co-op component.

Don't mind me, I'm still bitter that I can't play the two co-op dlc levels from Chaos Theory once my xbox hard drive fried. :bang:

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

So how long is the actual co-op missions?

I'm figuring Blacklist will mirror my experience with Conviction: A pretty painful single player mode with a surprisingly well designed co-op component.

Don't mind me, I'm still bitter that I can't play the two co-op dlc levels from Chaos Theory once my xbox hard drive fried. :bang:

The single player is leaps and bounds better than Conviction. It keeps the fast paced and lethal nature of conviction, but also gives you options to play it completely stealth. Conviction didn't feel like a Splinter Cell game. This one does. What I've played of the co-op, this is the best co-op Splinter Cell has had. You really need to work together and some of the missions are pretty tough.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
What the hell is up with the night vision goggles? They don't actually help at all as far as I can tell, dark areas are still completely dark, just everything is green tinted. In the boiler room where the hostages are being held in the Chicago mission I couldn't see a thing with or without NVGs, only sonar was actually useful, but the problem with using them is you can't tell if you're in light or darkness while they're on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

What the hell is up with the night vision goggles? They don't actually help at all as far as I can tell, dark areas are still completely dark, just everything is green tinted. In the boiler room where the hostages are being held in the Chicago mission I couldn't see a thing with or without NVGs, only sonar was actually useful, but the problem with using them is you can't tell if you're in light or darkness while they're on.

Yeah Conviction really hosed up the goggles, I think. I miss the classic nvg/ir. I feel like it's unnecessarily hard to see things in SP, which is stupid for a game that is so based on vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
It takes a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the light, I've always felt like the goggles only had some use in these games as it makes it hard to tell where the shadows are. I usually only turn them on for a few moments to see where objects are and then I turn them off while I'm navigating in the dark around enemies.

• Locked thread