Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Whatever you do, don't socialize, goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

My power is out, in the dark on my phone in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of idiots

Your posting here doesn't help with the lattermost issue

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Your posting here doesn't help with the lattermost issue

Why the hate

With everyone on iPhones and Nintendo DSs summer power outages are not what they used to be

EXTREME INSERTION has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Aug 22, 2013

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My power is out, in the dark on my phone in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of idiots

I didn't know we were doing GoonCamp again.

:gooncamp:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hey so I just a few hours ago found out one of my best friends in the whole world has died. I'm extremely, extremely drunk right now, but I hope that this doesn't infringe on any rules about drunkposting. I'm off of work tomorrow, don't have to go in till 7 PM EST on Friday. Please tell me things I should do to distract myself or cheer myself up. I'm thinking I'll go see an afternoon matinee of Pacific Rim by myself. Hope that's not too sad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm just trying to say that I have -38 hours of free time. Either I'll spend it with the people who were affected, or I'll spend it alone. If I do spend it alone, I'd enjoy some PYF suggestions as to how I should "enjoy" that time. This is not normal space in my life and I am not particularly used to dealing with the death of someone younger than me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Hey so I just a few hours ago found out one of my best friends in the whole world has died. I'm extremely, extremely drunk right now, but I hope that this doesn't infringe on any rules about drunkposting. I'm off of work tomorrow, don't have to go in till 7 PM EST on Friday. Please tell me things I should do to distract myself or cheer myself up. I'm thinking I'll go see an afternoon matinee of Pacific Rim by myself. Hope that's not too sad.

Nothing wrong with going to a movie by yourself. Maybe try talking to mutual friends though? Listen to music or watch movies that you enjoyed together or reminds you of them and cry as necessary. Crying doesn't make you weak it just sorta makes your eyes puffy for a while which can be embarrassing.

I don't think I can be more pedantic than this. But embrace what some people might call negative emotions and try to burn through them. Then rage, and think about the good times too. /e/n

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Don't get entirely drunk because you won't remember what happened. Then, every day you'll feel the exact same poo poo and go get drunk again, and forget it all yet again, like Groundhog Day. It'll be like living the day after your buddy's death every day. So just get moderately drunk and try to maintain that sweet spot at right around 2 pints or 3 American beers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
And this is probably not necessary, but make sure you are sober before you drive anywhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

In the continuing work adventures of LAB, I just glanced over at a different regular's laptop and saw that he was browsing a familiar forum. :haw: Hi Alex! I'd had no idea you were a goon.

I hope you did the prudent thing and sneakily found out what his username was and which subforums he hangs out in before you identified yourself as a fellow goon. Just imagine how you'd feel if that seemingly normal person you passed every day in the corridor (and who you were stuck with 8 hours a day) turned out to be a somethingsensitive spy, or a Dangan Ronpa Tumblrite, or even this poster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Goddamn I love that **generic userpanel link** gag. Let's see how many people send me an angry PM this time. :cheers:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

cheerfullydrab posted:

First, I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'm going to echo what others have said. Nothing wrong with seeing a movie by yourself, and nothing wrong with getting drunk, but being around people you care about might be the best thing for you. I don't know you or your friend, but I bet he would want you to be happy and remember the good times.

Everyone grieves differently, though, so if something feels right for you, it probably is. When my grandmother died, my first thought was that I wanted to drink a gin and tonic, which was her favorite. My second was that I wanted to eat the spiciest drat Thai food I could, just so I would feel something other than numb. I did both at a wonderful restaurant with my boyfriend and some good friends of ours, and drat if I didn't feel a little more solid the next day.

Again, I'm really sorry you have to go through this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thank you for the kind words everybody, sorry about bringing down the thread. Turns out people called out of work and everything and are all hanging around talking and stuff, so I'm off to do that.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Thank you for the kind words everybody, sorry about bringing down the thread. Turns out people called out of work and everything and are all hanging around talking and stuff, so I'm off to do that.

You are allowed to be sad and post about it! I am glad you are going to be around other people who are also dealing with this loss, hopefully it will help all of you.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Did anyone here play NeoPets back in the day?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

From around 2001-2002 I estimate. I was pretty into it too.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

No because I had pokemon like other civilized people

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I still have lucid dreams about playing NeoQuest 2 as a matter of fact. Probably spent a hundred hours trying to beat the highest difficulty.

vvv Yeah

Gamma Nerd has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Aug 24, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Was that the game that was run by Scientologists?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

prefect posted:

:(

I played in middle school. I had a starry poogle

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:(

I played in middle school. I had a starry poogle

I had Eyries. And then uhhh that little bird with the forked tail that came out a bit later. This should surprise nobody.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

prefect posted:

Wait, what?

I had multiple Tamagotchis, but only because people never knew what to buy me, saw me with one once, and decided I needed more for some reason. The days before gift cards were pretty dark.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Hey I'm a lot of pages behind but have you guys talked about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest recently?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

No, and nowhere near enough talk about open faced sandwiches.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Does French bread pizza count as an open-faced sandwich?

Do eggs Benedict?

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Aug 25, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What the hell is an egg bagel? I had breakfast with my friends and like half of them ordered that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

As far as I'm concerned, the only bagel that matters is the everything, preferably with lox.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've been experimenting with oven-baked open-faced sandwiches because I'm pretty lazy and it beats hamburger helper on the reg. My latest success story has been:

On one half of generic Dempsters' white bread - butter, hummus, sliced pickles, shredded cheese, sliced turkey breast
On the other - chipotle corn relish, sliced turkey breast, more shredded cheese

Bake for ten minutes @ 350f, mash together, shove in your face without shame because it is a taste sensation.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Goons, today I engaged in the fast-paced world of yard-sales. It was a long endeavor, filled with high-pitched hagglers, the watchful pacing motions of the elderly, and false cheery demeanor. At the end of the day, my brother and I made about eighty dollars each for a seven-hour job (not to mention the week of preparation for the sale)

Then I received two letters from the city. It turns out that a road I never knew to be considered a school-zone is, in fact, a school zone (despite not being near an active school or crosswalk, and the fact that school is not in session) and that I had been clocked at 12 MPH over the 25 MPH speed limit by the hidden cameras. The fine for each ticket was $40, and I received two tickets for passing by that road twice.

The moral of this story is that traffic crime does not pay. In fact, it will un-pay you, depriving you of your sweet, sweet yard sale dollars.

Just Burgs has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Aug 25, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Coffee And Pie posted:

What the hell is an egg bagel? I had breakfast with my friends and like half of them ordered that.

What, did you not stick around long enough for them to be brought out, because that would have answered your question.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

OmniDesol posted:

Goons, today I engaged in the fast-paced world of yard-sales. It was a long endeavor, filled with high-pitched hagglers, the watchful pacing motions of the elderly, and false cheery demeanor. At the end of the day, my brother and I made about eighty dollars each for a seven-hour job (not to mention the week of preparation for the sale)

Then I received two letters from the city. It turns out that a road I never knew to be considered a school-zone is, in fact, a school zone (despite not being near an active school or crosswalk, and the fact that school is not in session) and that I had been clocked at 12 MPH over the 25 MPH speed limit by the hidden cameras. The fine for each ticket was $40, and I received two tickets for passing by that road twice.

The moral of this story is that traffic crime does not pay. In fact, it will un-pay you, depriving you of your sweet, sweet yard sale dollars.

You should check the laws for your area because in many jurisdictions they have absolutely no way to make you pay tickets from speed cameras. They just send you the ticket and hope you do so.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What, did you not stick around long enough for them to be brought out, because that would have answered your question.

I didn't ask because I was distracted by my everything bagel.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
What the hell is an everything bagel?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LorrdErnie posted:

You should check the laws for your area because in many jurisdictions they have absolutely no way to make you pay tickets from speed cameras. They just send you the ticket and hope you do so.

Also, a lot of jurisdictions have different speed limits when the school is in session or not (or whether the light on the sign is flashing or not, in the case of my hometown), and he may not, in fact, have been speeding at all. So you may want to check on that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Goodness, what sad place do you live that doesn't have the everything, the king of bagels?

They're plain bagels with a little bit of all the savory bagel toppings (poppyseeds, onions, coarse salt, sesame seeds, etc.) on them. Here's one enjoying a happy symbiotic relationship with some plain cream cheese, smoked salmon and chives:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The everything bagel with porkroll, egg, and cheese is the greatest hangover remedy in the world.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NienNunb posted:

The everything bagel with porkroll, egg, and cheese is the greatest hangover remedy in the world.

Look what you made me do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQdmKVkWbGU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Coffee And Pie posted:

They have eggs mixed in with the flour, replacing some of the water. They taste a little like challah, because egg.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What the hell is porkroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is the humor in the awkward/ugly thread supposed to be all the goons charging in with "but guys he/she's not THAT ugly"? Because that's what it is for me.

• Locked thread