Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

chia posted:

Ok this has to be the ugliest bike I've ever seen :psyduck:

Look how wrong this guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Looking at maybe getting a Yamaha TW200 since they look fun as hell. The one I'm looking at is a 94 with 8k miles and I've talked the guy down to $1400 for it, which is a couple hundred more than I'd like to pay, but whatever. Mostly I'm going to use it for blasting down fire roads and something for my kid to ride around on while I ride the cruiser.

I've already looked at it and taken it for a quick test ride and everything seems good. Low power, but that was expected. Anything I should be looking for on these, anyone with experiences good/bad?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

chia posted:

Have you never seen the hilarious monstrosity that is the Victory Vision?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

thylacine posted:

Have you never seen the hilarious monstrosity that is the Victory Vision?

That doesn't look that bad, but you posted the absolute best possible angle. The enormous rear is the worst. Honestly, though, a lot of fancy baggers look overwrought and awful from the back.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Visions look like the spiritual successor to the GL1500, except with a twin.

I want so much to like the Vision because it has some nice practical improvements over your typical v-twin tourer, like the fore-mounted fuel tank which is supposed to balance the weight on a typically rear-heavy type of motorcycle, and the ability to actually lean over well for fun roads without scraping board all over. Plus it's comfy and has nice switch gear. But then I look at the HUGE bodywork around the trunk and assume it has a lot of space inside that space-age design... but it really doesn't and that sort of defeats its purpose in my mind.

They seem to sell well, though. Hopefully that means Victory keeps doing some innovative things without being tied to the traditional cruiser format.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How dare you. That bike could have been a badguy in any Knight Rider episode.

I've fooled around with one of these for a few minutes and it was that same colour scheme. It makes you feel like the terminator dressed as Ronald McDonald. It's also the only one of them I've ever seen.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How dare you. That bike could have been a badguy in any Knight Rider episode.

Not gonna lie, I'd secretly like to own a K1, but the only one I ever saw in real life was red and yellow and my eyes actually hurt looking at it in the sunlight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also Calgary guys, here is your chance for one in the least offensive color
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-RARE-1992-BMW-K1-W0QQAdIdZ497727339

:stare: ginormous tankbag

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet god it's like a combination tank bag and chin rest.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
K1's are the HEIGHT of the eighties. If you have a passion for 80s bikes but not the K1, you are a pretender.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well let's be honest, it doesn't say TURBO anywhere on it, so it could theoretically be more 80s.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Well let's be honest, it doesn't say TURBO anywhere on it, so it could theoretically be more 80s.

You rang?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

SaNChEzZ posted:

You rang?

You have almost convinced me this is a novelty account of yours. Hahaha

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

XYLOPAGUS posted:

You have almost convinced me this is a novelty account of yours. Hahaha

Just good timing I suppose, I dunno what I'd even do with a parachute account haha.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah Rev is a novelty in his own way. synirc.net #bieks

IEDs CURE SOLDIERS
Jan 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just good timing I suppose, I dunno what I'd even do with a parachute account haha.

Regret wasting ten dollars. :sigh:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

chia posted:

No, that's the PC800.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
That's a scooter in disguise those don't count.

Don't get me wrong I love ugly 80's - early 90's sportbikes, but goddamn that K1.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
PC isn't that ugly. It's just impossible to work on.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sir Cornelius posted:

No, that's the PC800.

sort of looks like what a child would draw if asked to draw a motorcycle

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sir Cornelius posted:

No, that's the PC800.

I don't think that is ugly. Incredibly generic and bland looking sure, but not ugly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
PC800's can be pretty cool though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They look like motorcycle equivalents of homeless people that live out of a 1980s buick.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hahaha, that wall drug sticker, guess they've been through SD

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The saddlebag that no longer quite makes it shut

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KARMA! posted:

PC800's can be pretty cool though!

This picture rules.

Stappert
Mar 15, 2007

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I would ride the K1 all day as long as it wasn't the red and yellow one.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gweenz posted:

Looking at maybe getting a Yamaha TW200 since they look fun as hell. The one I'm looking at is a 94 with 8k miles and I've talked the guy down to $1400 for it, which is a couple hundred more than I'd like to pay, but whatever. Mostly I'm going to use it for blasting down fire roads and something for my kid to ride around on while I ride the cruiser.

I've already looked at it and taken it for a quick test ride and everything seems good. Low power, but that was expected. Anything I should be looking for on these, anyone with experiences good/bad?

The TW200 is fantastic. Run it to redline in every gear. Note, the red on the speedo is not redline, just some weird Reagan-era holdover when the US had a 55mph speed limit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MotoMind posted:

The TW200 is fantastic. Run it to redline in every gear. Note, the red on the speedo is not redline, just some weird Reagan-era holdover when the US had a 55mph speed limit.

Nixon-era, actually

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Hahaha, that wall drug sticker, guess they've been through SD

Me too, free sticker!

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/4015102274.html

Somebody that's not me should buy that interceptor. $2k in Los Angeles. Looks pristine.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
6000 miles in 28 years. All of it's problems are lying in wait for somebody to actually put some miles on it. That person will be you.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

There is a Buell Ulysses XBX12 '06 in my local Harley dealer... 6.5k miles on it.

I keep hearing how great this bike is... true?

They are asking 6k, but I bet that could be negotiated down. This is like a powerful vstrom right? Its a standard not a sport?

don't steal it from my wichita goons :ohdear: but here is a direct link if anyone needs more info

http://www.alefshd.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=22571&CatDesc=&pov=3363712#detail

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 29, 2013

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Someone offered to trade their '99 GSX-R 600 with 19k miles for my '07 pregen ninja 250 with 11k.

I think this sounds like a good plan - anything to look out for with the 600? They said it needs nothing, has HIDS, slip on vance and hines, frame sliders, and a new paint job.

I've been riding all summer and I feel confident I could handle the power - are the older gen gixxers still rocketships or would it be a logical step up?

Seller said it was "too much bike" and wanted something slower.

Voltage fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Wendigee posted:

There is a Buell Ulysses XBX12 '06 in my local Harley dealer... 6.5k miles on it.

They are asking 6k, but I bet that could be negotiated down. This is like a powerful vstrom right? Its a standard not a sport?

don't steal it from my wichita goons :ohdear: but here is a direct link if anyone needs more info

http://www.alefshd.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=22571&CatDesc=&pov=3363712#detail

I already have a Vstrom, so not interested. But, if you take it for a test ride go like 10 miles north of Alef's on Broadway to SE 84TH ST (numbered from Newton.) It's a very rough road good for testing it out if you plan on using it as a dual-sport/adventure bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Voltage posted:

I've been riding all summer and I feel confident I could handle the power - are the older gen gixxers still rocketships or would it be a logical step up?

The biggest thing is going to be the more aggressive riding position - look at the clipons and where it puts your upper body.

Also, it's a 14-year-old bike with at least one PO who didn't know what he was getting into. That bodywork isn't original, either. So figure it's been down at least once and probably has a good bit of overdue maintenance.

If you're cool with all that and feel it's adequately baked into the trade, give it a test ride.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The biggest thing is going to be the more aggressive riding position - look at the clipons and where it puts your upper body.

Also, it's a 14-year-old bike with at least one PO who didn't know what he was getting into. That bodywork isn't original, either. So figure it's been down at least once and probably has a good bit of overdue maintenance.

If you're cool with all that and feel it's adequately baked into the trade, give it a test ride.

This is right on. Think about the mods on the bike, new headlights, new exhaust, new plastics, new paint. Basically everything points to a severe crash(or crashes) so make sure to go over it with a fine toothed comb if you are seriously considering it. Your Ninja might actually be worth more than a 14 year old GSXR with 20k miles that has been in numerous crashes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Wendigee posted:

I have one and I love it, it is really an incredible motorcycle. I have mine running on an EBR tune with a Jardine pipe and it goes like a train. Sounds glorious too. You get a standard seating position with sporty suspension and geometry and a roomy (emphasis on roomy) dualsport layout. They say it's an adventure bike but it's really best suited for crappy pavement. The sporty geometry and its 450 lbs makes it a handful on anything loose.

They have a few quirks, and at 6k they probably have yet to come out of the woodwork. If it's stock, it probably will run a little weird with a stumble off idle and maybe around 3k. Fuel pump wiring tends to chafe and short. Fortunately there isn't a lot of fancy tech on the bike and you can fix up the factory oopsies pretty easily. Also, they run hot with the fan on, make lots of funky noises, and eat belts and wheel bearings but that's just something they do; the tradeoff is that they require minimal overall maintenance and are generally dependable plus there's a gigantic Sportster aftermarket for engine upgrades.

Parts can be had from some Harley/Buell dealerships, American Sport Bike, and Erik Buell Racing. Everything you need for an oil change is available at Autozone.

My beast:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
$6k or near $6k is a lot for a bike from a company that doesn't exist anymore. I think a Buell might be a fun $3500 bike but not anywhere near $6k.